• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani Construction Update

Thank you so much for posting this link. :thumbsup2

We love Aulani like so many here. Does anyone else continue to wonder how Disney got it so wrong on the first go-around and has had to do all of this work on such a new property? I feel badly about all the re-work, but am grateful for the enhancements and additions.

When my wife and I were last at Aulani in Oct, we spoke to the resort General Manager regarding this. He relayed a conversation he had with Joe Rhode, who told him that Aulani was never intended to be revealed all at once, and that enhancements were ALWAYS part of the development plan.

When my wife and I were last at Aulani in Oct, we spoke to the resort General Manager regarding this. He relayed a conversation he had with Joe Rhode, who told him that Aulani was never intended to be revealed all at once, and that enhancements were ALWAYS part of the development plan.

Thanks for sharing. To me, though, that sounds absolutely ridiculous! I can understand expanding outward, but to rip up a pool and other areas that were in place for only a year before demolishing them doesn't sound too bright to me. Cabanas are a revenue generator so why not have a lot of them vs. ZERO for all of these months. Also, speaking of generating revenue, my feeling is they could earn a lot more if they had wait staff coming around to take F&B orders. I can't recall anyone stopping by our chairs to ask if we wanted anything. Do they even have this? We LOVE poolside and beach service and would have spent plenty!

We will be there July 16, and I'll report back on whatever I see at that time. With the walls up, it may not be much, though LOL!:beach:

Thanks for sharing. To me, though, that sounds absolutely ridiculous! I can understand expanding outward, but to rip up a pool and other areas that were in place for only a year before demolishing them doesn't sound too bright to me. Cabanas are a revenue generator so why not have a lot of them vs. ZERO for all of these months. Also, speaking of generating revenue, my feeling is they could earn a lot more if they had wait staff coming around to take F&B orders. I can't recall anyone stopping by our chairs to ask if we wanted anything. Do they even have this? We LOVE poolside and beach service and would have spent plenty!

We will be there July 16, and I'll report back on whatever I see at that time. With the walls up, it may not be much, though LOL!:beach:

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to plan to replace something with in a year. However, I do know they were not planning on replacing the string ray encounter originally. But Disney soon realized that there was not enough deck space for lounge chairs for the current guests. So that attraction had to go since they were adding another pool, but there are a lot of underground utilidors and tanks for the rays and fish. They had to be careful remodeling around those. And the cafe was not a planned addition because they closed a GV to use it for the cafe. That was not in the POS.

But the cabanas are not a necessity when there are not enough lounge chairs for the current guests. And that is what has happened--more chairs needed, cabanas go. Besides they probably got a lot of complaints that the noise level was too loud in the cabanas since many of them backed up to the construction.

Speaking of more chairs.... did you see the other post on that website with the pictures of the new terraced chair areas? They look nice ... but they certainly are awful close to the Ko Olina Sidewalk area... I can see a lot of folks just hoping over that little garden strip instead of using the key card entrance now. At least until the plants mature.

check out the pictures:http://www.disneybymark.com/2013/04/14/aulani-resorts-terrace/

Also if you watch the DIS unplugged broadcast from Aulani at about 3/4 of the way through the show one of the Disney Exec's that they were interviewing addresses the remodel specifically and why they did it, it was pretty interesting to hear what he had to say on the subject.

About the key card entrance...for the week we were there it wasn't working or on at all on either of the gates. So people were coming and going as they please from the beach to the eateries (which are public). Our first day we didn't bother getting wrist bands cause we weren't swimming but did walk around, eat and go to the beach. We never were stopped for wrist bands or needed key cards for coming and going.

I wonder if this is the norm? Was that just an off week for the gates?

I wonder if this is the norm? Was that just an off week for the gates?

I read about that.... but someone mentioned that CM's were being sure to check for wrist bands on folks using the pools.
You don't have to have a wristband to walk around the resort so its not a huge deal. It's just nice when the gates are working, I would think it helps cut down on foot traffic... and probably helps keep people who aren't guests from thinking that they can use the pool without anyone checking. Thus making the CM's jobs easier.

I would think not checking for wrist-bands in the pool area will open up the possibility of an increased chance of random theft. One time we were staying at the Sheraton at Black Rock on Maui and there was no wrist-band required. Since the beaches are public and the pool is right on the beach anybody could wander through the pool area. We walked down to the beach for about 30 min. one day at sunset to take pics of the evening torch lighting and cliff diver and we left our stuff at our pool chairs, taking only our camera. Guess what? Yup. They didn't take our credit cards but they took all of our cash. It wasn't a lot, like $40 or $50 but still...I didn't like that violated feeling. They could've just as easily taken the credit cards too. We reported the theft to the hotel but they kinda seemed like it happens frequently since it's a public beach. They were not overly shocked about it and said they can't keep the public out. :(

Yeah I can totally see those theft issues. The problem is that the spa, ama ama and the other public eateries are only accessed by the pool deck. So there is no way to enforce wrist bands unless you are physically in the water or using a pool chair:(

I did think the gates not working was weird though, I know its a public lagoon but you can get to it from places other then Aulani. The coming and going from non guests would be bothersome I would think to those in the casabellas.

I just don't think the whole thing is planned out well. Before we went last summer, there was a lot of talk here about non-guests using the pool, so My radar was up. When we first arrived and walked out to the pool, I immediately thought to myself how easy it would be to go down those stairs or elevator and just hop right into the lazy river! It is right there!! Sure, a CM may catch you at some point but I think some fun could be had before being caught.

Also, the drink station is right there also. I just felt like some brazen non-guests could show up and swim and drink for free, anyone else?

My family and I play by the rules, and I sure do want Aulani amenities to be for guests only. It just all feels very open to me.

I agree, those new chairs near the walk way do not look conducive to relaxation. See what I mean? Some things there just don't make a lot of sense. I know they are trying, though. :)

I think the enhancements are going to be wonderful and am sorry we will miss them this July, but we look forward to seeing them in the future.

Just wondering if the Waianae Building rooms have guests in them now? :confused:

Just wondering if the Waianae Building rooms have guests in them now? :confused:

Yes, at least part of the Waianae Building is being used for DVC guests. Last month someone posted a trip report and said they were an even numbered villa in the Waianae Building that faces the Waikolohe Valley.

What exactly is that grotto?

New additions look great so far! Anyone know more about the pool?

We just returned Sunday from two weeks at Aulani and there was some construction noise but it wasn't terrible. One day they were doing work around the zero entry areas to the pool as well. It didn't take too long but it was a few hours and that was noisy. The pool was still open--they were using large sanders or some other type of machine to rough up the entrances to the pool. It was quite annoying but it was only part of one day.

We walked along the sidewalk quite often and the gates were never locked. Anyone could come and go from the resort. We did, however, notice that the lifeguards were quite vigilant and we witnessed people being asked to leave the pool when they didn't have wristbands. We saw this on three separate occasions. Two of those times the swimmers got wristbands and returned so they were guests but the other time, it was a group of about 6-7 teenagers and they didn't return.

However, the resort is incredible and none of these issues interfered with our totally fabulous vacation!:)

Thanks for the first hand update Splashmom, super helpful!! Glad to hear that they are patrolling the wristbands well, and that you had a fabulous time despite the construction!

What exactly is that grotto?

New additions look great so far! Anyone know more about the pool?

I dont know much but I did find this description of the grotto on the Ko Olina website that might be helpful:

The new pool will extend to literally the edge of the property — with the pool’s infinity edge overlooking one of Ko Olina’s famous lagoons. A highlight of the pool will be the misty grotto from which swimmers may view the sunset. After dark, a starscape of glimmering lights will appear on the grotto ceiling and the floor of the pool.

Read the full description here:
http://www.koolina.com/explore/news/id/299/pageid/299/aulani-expansion-nears-end

Yes, at least part of the Waianae Building is being used for DVC guests. Last month someone posted a trip report and said they were an even numbered villa in the Waianae Building that faces the Waikolohe Valley.
Thanks, wdrl and Cinderpamela!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter