Aulani budget

Jules123

DIS Veteran
I know there is a “how much is your next Disney World trip going to cost” thread on the Budget Board. But I would like to see some budgets for your next Aulani trip?

But serious,,,,,we did not go to any fancy restaurants, we ate breakfast in the room ( 1bdrm),,,and did island activities every other day.
4 people, 1 dad,wife 2 teen girls.
200/day for food (included groceries)
150/ day for activities that we did.
Car rental for 10 days 600
Flights are going to be whatever from wherever your coming from

some points, we dont drink so that needs to be factored in.
we came in underbudget for activities since it was everyother day, but still did lots.

hope this helps a little.

I’ll give it a shot. We are dvc members so our Aulani portion is on points. Not sure how you want to count that.

We are traveling the Friday after Thanksgiving and staying Oahu 8 nights. 3 nights at Outrigger Beach Resort in an oceanview room and 5 nights in a one bedroom ocean view at Aulani. This trip is just 4 of us. Dh and myself with our 2 youngest.

4 -JFK-HNL tickets $3400

JFK parking $430ish

Rental car (4 Door keep booked with Costco, rebooked every time the price dropped. Started close to $900) $569

Aulani our dvc points (cash price with the current 25% discount is $4200)(island view all I could price out)

Outrigger Beach Resort $1341 (cash price, we used Chase points)

Kualoa ranch $400 mostly likely going to do the Jurassic tour

Aulani massage $200ish
Aulani character breakfast $200ish

Haven‘t calculated our food budget yet but know it will be high. We went in April 2022 and spent so much on food since everything was so expensive. I’d probably guess 200 a day for the family since we don’t have anything too expensive in mind. Will rotate between cheaper options and more expensive sit down but nothing fancy. Hoping to try small local places this trip. Will cook a few meals in the room to save money. $1600-2000 on food?

Misc. Waikiki parking/resort fees $300
Activites? Not doing anything paid this trip that I can think of besides Kualoa . Did a lot of the more expensive stuff on our last “first and only Aulani trip” Might try to see the USS Missouri

Souvenirs? :rolleyes1 No idea but will try to limit the amount of Duffy and Friends much I buy….
I tend buy a Disney gift card anytime I can get around 10% back (usually use a Chase offer or something) Ive been stocking them away for around a year so have around $1800 right now. Hoping to bump that up a little bit before we go.

I‘m not going to add it up since some people might be paying cash, using points,etc. Just giving a general idea. I will say this trip is very inexpensive compared to our last trip during Easter/April break. Everything was so expensive since it was peak time.

I know there is a “how much is your next Disney World trip going to cost” thread on the Budget Board. But I would like to see some budgets for your next Aulani trip?
I'd suggest that you budget about 50% more for the actual on-island portion of your vacation. Of course you don't have to buy park tickets. On the other hand, you need to consider the fee for popular excursions on the island.

That's in addition to any difference in the cost of flights which obviously depends on where you are flying from.

This is going to very much depend on your specific circumstances, first being if you are a DVC member or not. If you are a DVC member, then the room is on points and your parking is included, so all you are paying is the TAT (well, and rental car...).

Second is what type of accommodation you have. We have always gotten 2 bedrooms and mainly eaten in the room. So, for us, our main expense is Costco/Target for whatever groceries we need for the week. This past year, the grills have reopened and were always busy when we were there.

Third, is it your first visit, or are you a "repeat customer". If it's your first time, then you'll want to budget for all of the excess activities (Luau, Golf, Kualoa, etc.) that you may want to do. If this is your say, 4th visit, you may just be fine staying most days at the resort, throwing in a day to go to Waikiki, and maybe a day to go to Haleiwa.

However, definitely budget for Malasadas :)

This was my spending for a week at Aulani in March 2023 for 2 people.

Flights to/from HNL = $1,368

7 nights in Ocean View Studio = $2,438 (DVC points = price per point per year + annual dues * # points)

Car rental = $390 (work discount)

Airport dinner 32
Kualoa Ranch (horseback riding * 2) 305
Hanauma Bay 51
DB Bar dinner 55
Groceries 102
Breakfast/towels at grocery store 50
Malasada 7
Don Quixote groceries 36
Helena's 50
Roy's 130
Souvenirs 27
Fruit 12
La Hiki buffet breakfast 130
Maui Mike's 34
Malasada 7
Dukes 80
Liliha Bakery 19
Ice cream 7
Parking 4
Maui Mike's 24
Fruit 8
Massage 147
Gas 41
Fruit 7
Mickey ears 54
Photo Pass 78
Fruit 20
Mike's chicken 36
Juice 10
Ted's 8
Mina's 230
T-shirt stamping 38
Fruit 9
Lunch 40
Gas 16
Resort tax 124
Airport parking at home 72
$2,127

Total $6,323

Holy ****! Was that for economy parking or for something closer/fancier? At our podunk airport in Spokane, economy parking for our last 9-day WDW trip was something like $45.
Sadly Logan Airport in Boston is up there as well even with the economy parking. Luckily there are off-site parking and shuttles to cut the price.

Souvenirs? :rolleyes1 No idea but will try to limit the amount of Duffy and Friends much I buy….
I tend buy a Disney gift card anytime I can get around 10% back (usually use a Chase offer or something) Ive been stocking them away for around a year so have around $1800 right now. Hoping to bump that up a little bit before we go.
I love Aulani merchandise, especially Duffy and Friends. I ended up spending more in the Aulanis gift shop than the entire WDW or DL trips.

Holy ****! Was that for economy parking or for something closer/fancier? At our podunk airport in Spokane, economy parking for our last 9-day WDW trip was something like $45.

Right now while traveling with 2 kids, 4 suitcases, a car seat and booster seat, I pay for the parking close to the terminal. Dealing with all this stuff and taking the train or shuttles stresses me out too much. Once we don’t have car seats and the kids can handle their own bags, we will do the cheaper options. I did look it up and the cheapest option seems to be around $200 and involves a shuttle a few miles offsite.

All of it. Just leave your wallet at the desk when you check in.

But for me personally, spending a week at just Aulani:
  1. Flights range from $600 to $1000
  2. I stay on my own points, but if I were renting, estimate 308 points for an island view 1br at $2pp = $6776, plus $130 Hawaii tax = $6906
  3. Rental car plus gas = $500/week
  4. Food wildly varies. I like to do breakfast and lunch in the room or somewhere fast, then dinner out, so maybe $75 per person per day
  5. Length of stay Rainbow Reef pass = $45
  6. Kualoa Ranch ranges from $100 to $200 for a tour.
  7. Snorkeling or scuba diving for another $200 per person
  8. USS Missouri and Bowfin $60 per person. USS Arizona is free, but reserve tickets in advance for $1 per party
  9. Drinks, souvenirs, and extravagant meals in addition
  10. Tips for housekeeping, bell hops, and beach attendants = $50 per room for the trip
Edit: Total for two guests in a 1 bedroom for a week is about $11,000. The same trip in a studio, same view, would be $7400.

So jealous of everyone getting flights for those amounts. I'm 6'5 and we fly direct from ewr...no chance I can make it on a flight that long in anything less than premium economy. Flights alone for our family of 3 run 7k+ 😭

Before you ask, we can't do exit row as we have 4 yr old. And can't count on getting 3 bulkhead seats together

Haven‘t calculated our food budget yet but know it will be high. We went in April 2022 and spent so much on food since everything was so expensive. I’d probably guess 200 a day for the family since we don’t have anything too expensive in mind. Will rotate between cheaper options and more expensive sit down but nothing fancy. Hoping to try small local places this trip. Will cook a few meals in the room to save money. $1600-2000 on food?
We are going later this year and also staying in a 1-bedroom, so I'm really hoping we can utilize that full-size fridge and buy some take-out at local places, then heat up for dinner or next day lunch!

My main problem is...MERCH! 🛍️😅

Not a budget - but budget ideas - If you have a car - make a grocery store run for breakfast items and a lunch sandwich /fruit to offset pricier meals for example. If no car, lots of options across the street (walking distance) are not bad prices. ABC groceries and souvenirs (seriously - anything you forgot is at ABC lol). Tropic Poke is there too - reasonable local food, healthy takeout - even Spam Musubi. MonkeyPod during happy hour is reasonable one night, usually has entertainment.

So jealous of everyone getting flights for those amounts. I'm 6'5 and we fly direct from ewr...no chance I can make it on a flight that long in anything less than premium economy. Flights alone for our family of 3 run 7k+ 😭

Before you ask, we can't do exit row as we have 4 yr old. And can't count on getting 3 bulkhead seats together
You'd have to go to Laguardia - but Southwest with the newer 737MAX has more leg room than the old 737. You'd want to pay the upgrade to Early Boarding to make sure you're in good seats together. And I doubt they have anything without thirty two stops to Honolulu - but might work for Orlando.

I’ll give it a shot. We are dvc members so our Aulani portion is on points. Not sure how you want to count that.

We are traveling the Friday after Thanksgiving and staying Oahu 8 nights. 3 nights at Outrigger Beach Resort in an oceanview room and 5 nights in a one bedroom ocean view at Aulani. This trip is just 4 of us. Dh and myself with our 2 youngest.

4 -JFK-HNL tickets $3400

JFK parking $430ish

Rental car (4 Door keep booked with Costco, rebooked every time the price dropped. Started close to $900) $569

Aulani our dvc points (cash price with the current 25% discount is $4200)(island view all I could price out)

Outrigger Beach Resort $1341 (cash price, we used Chase points)

Kualoa ranch $400 mostly likely going to do the Jurassic tour

Aulani massage $200ish
Aulani character breakfast $200ish

Misc. Waikiki parking/resort fees $300
Activites? Not doing anything paid this trip that I can think of besides Kualoa . Did a lot of the more expensive stuff on our last “first and only Aulani trip” Might try to see the USS Missouri

I‘m not going to add it up since some people might be paying cash, using points,etc. Just giving a general idea. I will say this trip is very inexpensive compared to our last trip during Easter/April break. Everything was so expensive since it was peak time.
interesting.. We are booked to arrive the Wednesday after Thanksgiving ( staying also at Outrigger Reef for two nights, then Aulani till the 5th! We are also doing the Kualoa Ranch ATV on Sunday but I have not pulled the trigger on booking as it is non-refundable on Viator. I already booked and paid for the Huak'i Nui Big Adventure for that Saturday. We will probably just miss each other!

Car rental notes - I'm very cautious about using Dollar (terrible reviews and they no longer offer any Express program) but their rates were about 1/3 cheaper than any others prepaid 8/20-8/27. (Although I arrived a day late (flight cancelled due to hurricane) and some chance even though we simply modified to arrive a day later, we were charged a massive change fee since a non-refundable deposit). That said, the car was fine, had to wait about 30 minutes for one to be returned, not sure that would have ended as well if cars not coming back in - they obviously were not "holding" cars for reservations. Minor note too - at final Dollar check in they asked if we had a Frequent Flyer program would like credited, when we gave a number, were charged an $8 additional processing fee - probably not worth it to us, but they said once entered, no refund for that extra fee. Pushy about insurance, but every car rental place is - we just kept saying we were comfortable with our credit card rentals coverage (check yours!)

Last edited:
One thing to consider. Everything is expensive in Hawaii. If you're planning on groceries and eating the room, budget at least 2x what it costs at home, even more for produce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter