Aulani Ama Ama Best Time for Sunset?

bamagirl@hrt

DIS Veteran
I am looking to book Ama Ama for our stay at Aulani the first week of October. According to my research, the sun sets at 6:19 that night. I'd originally thought that a 5:30 dinner reservation would be perfect. However, I've read that dinner here can take 1-1/2 to 2 hours, and that the best view tables go first. If this is true, it sounds like 5:00 might be best. Any recommendations from those who have been? This will most likely be our only trip to Aulani, so I'm hoping to make the most of our experience.

Thanks so much!

Aloha! I am a cast member at Aulani and I've dined at 'AMA'AMA before during sunset. The restaurant is pretty much an open restaurant...to me, you would be able to see the sunset from many different areas of the restaurant. But to be sure, I would definitely recommend the 5:00 reservation if you want the best seat. If you make it on a weekend evening, there's also usually live Hawaiian music so even if you do finish your dinner before the sun sets, you can definitely just sit and enjoy the music. Hope that helps!

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!! I made our reservation for 5:00 on a Friday evening. That is a resort day for us, so I think it'll be the perfect ending to a perfect day.

Thank you so much, silvaohana, for your advice. As a cast member, if there are any other tips/advice to enhance our stay, I'd love to hear them! We are visiting 9/30-10/7. I'm planning our first two full days to enjoy the resort. I know that Hawaiian schools fall breaks are the first week of October, so I was hoping we'd have a couple of lower crowd days before they fall breakers arrive. My kids will be 17 and 14. They are looking forward to enjoying the resort and exploring the island.

We plan to take day trips on that Saturday and Sunday. Maybe a combination of resort and exploring on Monday.

Tuesday will be another resort day. I've reserved the Executive Lanai so we'll definitely have a "home base" for the day. There are only 4 of us, but it's cheaper than a cabana. And from the pictures I've seen, the views of the lagoons from there are fabulous! I chose it over other casabellas because I wanted to be able to reserve in advance. Does this sound like a good plan?

After we check out of Aulani on Wednesday, we'll spend 2 nights in Waikiki. We'll hike Diamond Head and explore a bit more of the east side of the island then.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Thanks again!

Of course! It's my pleasure. I love meeting new people and helping people experience the most they can while visiting us. Btw, you can call me Keala! :) As far as planning goes you're on the right course! We have so many 'ohana who come and really have no idea what we have to offer! So you're doing an awesome job in planning.

Honestly, I can't remember if that time was busy or not...it's kinda a blur but it's not a holiday weekend so you should be fine! I definitely support your plans to enjoy the resort for a couple days...there are many families who come with plans to tour the island and then cancel at the last minute because they're just having too much fun at Aulani which is great to hear! There are also activities for your kids to enjoy and that changes everyday...we get our Daily 'Iwa (Daily activity guide) everyday at the front desk so remember to pick that up from us everyday! I definitely recommend seeing the Aulani Starlit Hui one day. It's a beautiful hula show. It's kind of like a luau but without the food. For that, definitely arrive earlier than the showtime if you want great seats. They also have Hawaiian games, Hawaiian arts and crafts, and picture taking before the show so lots to do before the show begins.

If I may ask, what type of room are you booking? I can definitely give you suggestions on the room locations.

For the casabellas, I don't really know much about those. I do work at the front desk but other cast members take care of that in the back office. Those are usually really smart to book during busy times just because the pool chairs do fill up fast. But having a home base is always a plus!

Hi Keala,

I hate to jump in on OP's thread, but, seeing how you mentioned that you were a cast member, I was wondering if I too could ask you a few questions.

We just booked last night for what will likely be our once in a lifetime trip, from Christmas Eve through New Year's day, and, figuring things will be wonderfully busy, would like to start doing some planning now before it gets too late.

Of course, I do not want to impose, so of you would rather not, it's okay.

Thanks
Jesse

Hi, Keala! I'm Christy. Again, thank you. I told my son this afternoon that I hit the DISboards jackpot because I have an Aulani cast member helping me plan!

We are staying in a 1 bedroom ocean view villa, staying on DVC points. Can hardly wait!!

Of course! LOL! you're too funny. Glad i can help and hope to meet you and your 'ohana when you visit us! Perfect! I would definitely request higher floor and anything in the 50's series overlooking Waikolohe Valley (the pool area). Of course, this is a request but we try to accommodate our guests as much as we can!

Another one crashing your thread if I may? :goodvibes

I currently have two Ama Ama dinner reservations booked - sunset is 6.55-7pm when we visit in August.

I have managed to get a Tuesday at 6.30pm & a Saturday at 5.30pm.

Which one would you recommend I keep to get the best sunset views? We are a party of four with two boys aged 8 & 11, who probably won't want to sit for hours and hours, although we will be having three courses, so won't be in and out!

I want to free up one reservation as soon as possible to give someone else a chance an a sunset view booking.

Many thanks for any help.:thumbsup2

No problem! I recommend keeping the Saturday at 5:30 just because they only have live Hawaiian music on the weekends!! :)

Thanks for the room location advice, Keala. I read the thread on here about room views before I made my reservation. I requested the highest floor possible either in Ewa Tower ending in the 50s or in the Waianae Building ending in -06 or -12. The pictures I saw had stunning views from either of those. It appears that your recommendation is for the Ewa Tower, based on the room series, right? What are your thoughts on the Waianae building? As long as we overlook the Waikolohe area, I'll be happy. I just really don't want the ones in the Waianae building that are ocean view, but overlook the parking garage of the resort next door. I very much want my husband to be wowed so that maybe we can come back again!! ;-)

Tuesday will be another resort day. I've reserved the Executive Lanai so we'll definitely have a "home base" for the day. There are only 4 of us, but it's cheaper than a cabana. And from the pictures I've seen, the views of the lagoons from there are fabulous! I chose it over other casabellas because I wanted to be able to reserve in advance. Does this sound like a good plan?!

Hi:wave:. Thank you for letting me crash your thread, it's been so helpful!:thumbsup2

I noticed you mentioned casabellas, did you know that you can pre-book some of them? We are also a family of 4 and had contemplated the Executive lanai, but as we are a small group we have actually reserved the Ama Ama upper level casabellas, which consists of two casabellas sitting the 4 of us. Jus thought I'd say incase you hadn't spotted them:thumbsup2

Of course! It's my pleasure. I love meeting new people and helping people experience the most they can while visiting us. Btw, you can call me Keala! :)

If I may ask, what type of room are you booking? I can definitely give you suggestions on the room locations.!

Hi again Keala :wave: thank you so much for all of you're help - you've been great!:thumbsup2 We are visting mid August and I will be sure to look out for you to say Hi!:wave:

Thanks for the room location advice, Keala. I read the thread on here about room views before I made my reservation. I requested the highest floor possible either in Ewa Tower ending in the 50s or in the Waianae Building ending in -06 or -12. The pictures I saw had stunning views from either of those. It appears that your recommendation is for the Ewa Tower, based on the room series, right? What are your thoughts on the Waianae building? As long as we overlook the Waikolohe area, I'll be happy. I just really don't want the ones in the Waianae building that are ocean view, but overlook the parking garage of the resort next door. I very much want my husband to be wowed so that maybe we can come back again!! ;-)

Based on the views thread here on the Dis, I've already out in my requests for our ocean view studio. I've currently requested Waianae building, rooms ending in 04 or 10.

Is this not a good choice? (The photos I've seen from these room numbers all look awesome!::yes::). I know it's hard to tell, but have I been too limited in my requests, and therefore unlikely to get them - or is being specific better, so that they understand why I've requested the rooms I have?

Thanks again for all of your help - this thread has been terrific! :disrocks:

Hi Keala,

I hate to jump in on OP's thread, but, seeing how you mentioned that you were a cast member, I was wondering if I too could ask you a few questions.

We just booked last night for what will likely be our once in a lifetime trip, from Christmas Eve through New Year's day, and, figuring things will be wonderfully busy, would like to start doing some planning now before it gets too late.

Of course, I do not want to impose, so of you would rather not, it's okay.

Thanks
Jesse

Oh of course not! You are not imposing at all! I would be happy to help! Please feel free to send me a message to my inbox and i can help you plan as much as possible!

Waianae Tower is just as beautiful! The upside to the Ewa Tower 50 series is they have a straight balcony as opposed to an angled balcony but all have beautiful views! Yesss...just make sure you request Waikolohe Valley view. We love when guests have enjoyed their vacation that they're already planning for the next visit!!

Hi:wave:. Thank you for letting me crash your thread, it's been so helpful!:thumbsup2

I noticed you mentioned casabellas, did you know that you can pre-book some of them? We are also a family of 4 and had contemplated the Executive lanai, but as we are a small group we have actually reserved the Ama Ama upper level casabellas, which consists of two casabellas sitting the 4 of us. Jus thought I'd say incase you hadn't spotted them:thumbsup2

Hi again Keala :wave: thank you so much for all of you're help - you've been great!:thumbsup2 We are visting mid August and I will be sure to look out for you to say Hi!:wave:

Based on the views thread here on the Dis, I've already out in my requests for our ocean view studio. I've currently requested Waianae building, rooms ending in 04 or 10.

Is this not a good choice? (The photos I've seen from these room numbers all look awesome!::yes::). I know it's hard to tell, but have I been too limited in my requests, and therefore unlikely to get them - or is being specific better, so that they understand why I've requested the rooms I have?

Thanks again for all of your help - this thread has been terrific! :disrocks:

Yes...those are great choices for Oceanview Deluxe Studios! We try our best to accommodate your requests as much as we can!! Hope that helps!

[QUOTE="silvaohana808, post: 53536078, member: 480145"
Yes...those are great choices for Oceanview Deluxe Studios! We try our best to accommodate your requests as much as we can!! Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

That's great news!:thumbsup2 Thanks Keala:wave:

I mentioned that I was 'speaking' to you to my boys last night & they were very excited! They are planning to say Aloha to you in August!:thumbsup2

Oh of course not! You are not imposing at all! I would be happy to help! Please feel free to send me a message to my inbox and i can help you plan as much as possible!
:worship:Thanks so much! We are so excited, and want to make sure everything will be as stress-free as possible.

Here are few quick ones to start off: First, we are staying in an Island Gardens View room. Should I put in a building request, or are the rooms at this level comparable? Or should we upgrade to pool view? We really don't want to spend the week looking at the parking lot if it is all possible.

Next, we are coming during the holidays. Are there any special meals/events that we should reserve now while it's early?

I read on Mousesavers that Aulani offers a shuttle to nearby dinner show Luaus. Is this accurate? And, if so, which one would you recommend?

Lastly, to go from and to the airport, would it be easier to get seats through a shuttle service, or should be just rent a car from Alamo, which I believe has a desk at the resort?

Thanks again Keala!

New question: Do you recommend visiting the Polynesian Cultural Center? I've read mixed reviews. Some say it's a must do and some say it's over commercialized. It's a lot of money and time, so I want to make sure it's worth it.

Thanks!
Christy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter