Aulani advice, especially military members?

sgrap

DIS Veteran
We just booked seven nights in June at Aulani, our first trip! We wait listed one night prior to what we reserved because it was already booked. We have a son who will be graduating from college and commissioning as an Army officer in June. This trip will be in part to celebrate his graduation. He already has his CAC now and full militay privileges. I am debating whether to try to book the Hale Koa that first night that we wait listed in case it does not come through, or whether to book two nights there so we can do some of the things in Waikiki before heading out to the resort. We will have six of us in our family on the trip. I would love to hear any advice about Aulani, especially from people who have gone there with military privileges. Any special tickets or things I should arrange ahead of time?

Also, is 7 - 8 days long enough? I'm going to be combing the Aulani threads for suggestions. :-) but I don't want to miss anything that I need to book right away for a June trip. We are leaving for Disneyland in 10 days, so I'm supposed to be focusing on getting ready for that! :-) I'm getting way too distracted by a June trip, but I knew we had to get it booked right on the time at the 8 a.m. mark today., which was unfortunately the 5 a.m. mark here on the West Coast. Yawn! Thanks for any help. :-)

Aloha Sgrap,

First, thank you to your son for his service in our military.

You do not say if this is your first trip to Hawaii. You did note it's your first trip to Aulani & I see that you are on the West Coast somewhere? If your family has never been, I recommend extending your trip a bit if that is possible. There's lots to see and do and once you are at Aulani it's wonderful to just stay put and enjoy all the resort offers.

I am a big believer in always having a backup plan when wait listed and I like the idea of your having 2 nights at Hale Koa which gives you one full day. We are not military but all those I know that have stayed there say it is very nice and I know it's in a good location.

As for military discounts at Aulani, there really aren't any "tickets" to be discounted. I think they might possibly have military discounts on room rates, though that is a moot point in your case since you are booking as a member. You can get tickets online for the USS Arizona Memorial a bit in advance. The gov't keeps changing how far out and the rules on that option. The best resource I know to see what is currently going on with that is on the Trip Advisor Oahu forum. There are a couple of folks on there that post frequently to keep everyone abreast of the updates. (hope it's okay that I mention a competitor forum. I don't think this one is really geared for the minutiae of such on island activities.

There is a very nice Costco close by for provisions and their sashimi and poke are great too. Happy planning!

Aloha Sgrap,

First, thank you to your son for his service in our military.

You do not say if this is your first trip to Hawaii. You did note it's your first trip to Aulani & I see that you are on the West Coast somewhere? If your family has never been, I recommend extending your trip a bit if that is possible. There's lots to see and do and once you are at Aulani it's wonderful to just stay put and enjoy all the resort offers.

I am a big believer in always having a backup plan when wait listed and I like the idea of your having 2 nights at Hale Koa which gives you one full day. We are not military but all those I know that have stayed there say it is very nice and I know it's in a good location.

As for military discounts at Aulani, there really aren't any "tickets" to be discounted. I think they might possibly have military discounts on room rates, though that is a moot point in your case since you are booking as a member. You can get tickets online for the USS Arizona Memorial a bit in advance. The gov't keeps changing how far out and the rules on that option. The best resource I know to see what is currently going on with that is on the Trip Advisor Oahu forum. There are a couple of folks on there that post frequently to keep everyone abreast of the updates. (hope it's okay that I mention a competitor forum. I don't think this one is really geared for the minutiae of such on island activities.

There is a very nice Costco close by for provisions and their sashimi and poke are great too. Happy planning!
Thank you, we are very proud of him. He is following in his father's footsteps.

My husband and I went on our honeymoon 27 years ago, but haven't been back since and none of our 4 kids have been. Yes, we are in the PNW. Thank you!

It appears we'll be "neighbors" at Aulani. We're there early June, too. Can. Not. Wait.

If you can reserve some Hale Koa time, do it! It's a nice place and will give you your Waikiki fix. You might want to look at that for all your proposed extra days. I don't know if HK has a tickets&tours office like the HI bases will, but those are the source for best military deals.

And if your son will be there before you head to Aulani, a commissary run at Hickam or Pearl Harbor might be even cheaper for the basics than Costco.

Bellows Air Force Station has one of the most beautiful beaches on Oahu. It's also very under-used. Part is public but I think during the week part is restricted to military ID cardholders/guests. Check it out.

Thank your son for his service. Few step up anymore.

It appears we'll be "neighbors" at Aulani. We're there early June, too. Can. Not. Wait.

If you can reserve some Hale Koa time, do it! It's a nice place and will give you your Waikiki fix. You might want to look at that for all your proposed extra days. I don't know if HK has a tickets&tours office like the HI bases will, but those are the source for best military deals.

And if your son will be there before you head to Aulani, a commissary run at Hickam or Pearl Harbor might be even cheaper for the basics than Costco.

Bellows Air Force Station has one of the most beautiful beaches on Oahu. It's also very under-used. Part is public but I think during the week part is restricted to military ID cardholders/guests. Check it out.

Thank your son for his service. Few step up anymore.
Thank you! No, our son will be flying with us, but still may make use of the commissary run. :-) We have our first 2 nights at the Hale Koa booked currently. My husband said he went to Bellows when he flew over as a cadet, but he didn't go to the beach (stayed at the quarters there only), so we will have to check it out. Thanks!

See you on the Bellows beach. I'll be with the giant people. (I'm shortest in my family at 5'10".)

We just booked seven nights in June at Aulani, our first trip! We wait listed one night prior to what we reserved because it was already booked. We have a son who will be graduating from college and commissioning as an Army officer in June. This trip will be in part to celebrate his graduation. He already has his CAC now and full militay privileges. I am debating whether to try to book the Hale Koa that first night that we wait listed in case it does not come through, or whether to book two nights there so we can do some of the things in Waikiki before heading out to the resort. We will have six of us in our family on the trip. I would love to hear any advice about Aulani, especially from people who have gone there with military privileges.
Congratulations to your son! (Congratulations on your Aulani reservation, too!) What an awesome way to celebrate.
One thing to keep in mind is there is a 30 day cancellation policy (by 6:00pm HST prior to arrival to avoid a penalty.) on the Hale Koa reservation.

Congratulations to your son! (Congratulations on your Aulani reservation, too!) What an awesome way to celebrate.
One thing to keep in mind is there is a 30 day cancellation policy (by 6:00pm HST prior to arrival to avoid a penalty.) on the Hale Koa reservation.
Thank you so much! Yes, we booked a room there and will need to keep that cancellation policy in mind. His current CAC expires the day he graduates in May, so there is some question about when he will get his new military ID. So we have a back-up room booked somewhere else just in case.

Yes, the 4:45 a.m. wake-up on a Saturday wasn't pleasant to get that Aulani reservation, but I'm thinking it will be worth it. :goodvibes

We bought our plane tickets last night . . . and were so excited because we got 5 out of our 6 plane tickets free!!!:cool1: We knew we had 3 free on our credit card points, but my husband didn't realize that he had so many Alaska Airlines miles. Right as I'm going to buy the other tickets and I'm putting in everyone's ff #'s, he thinks to check his ff account. He had over 100,000 miles and was able to get 2 free tickets with his ff points!!party: We only had to buy one ticket, and it was under $600 because it was for our other son who has to return early for work. So we were doing the happy dance around here for saving over $3,000 on airfare!

Now THAT is awesome. You really are going to have a magical time. I'm hoping I can drop the price of our tickets (from VA to HI--yikes!!!!!) using my Delta ff points. I have nowhere near enough to get to free, but every little bit helps.

Yay Congrats to him!!

We just went in October, my husband is retired Air Force. Only used our military discount when we went to the Dole Plantation! ha.

I have a Target Red Debit Card so we went there to buy some groceries. Hawaii tax is 4.7% so with the 5% Red Card savings I felt like it was the same as shopping on base. Target is closer to Aulani too than the base.

I agree that Bellows is a must do! We went there for a day on our first trip to Hawaii ten years ago after a deployment. Stayed at the Hale Koa, but wish we had done a night or two at Bellows. The beach is amazing!!

Make sure he brings his CAC card to get free bags on Alaska and get through security pre- check!

You are going to have an AMAZING time! Think 7-8 days is perfect!!

If you guys want to do any off resort excursions...check with Tickets and Tours on base to get discounts on those! Then you can pick them up at Hickham!

Pearl Harbor is FREE, just get your tickets at 7am the day before you want to go! Online..I think there was a $1.50 service charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter