• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani 1wk Hotel stay

Thanks for your excellent Trip Report. I am a sucker for food tours. The malasadas looked delicious. Where did you pick up the spam musubi? What was the condiment in the middle of the plate? I am thoroughly enjoying the read. Thanks for the pictures.

The food tour was really fun, and the guides were great. They pickup in the Honolulu/Waikiki area, but Aulani is a bit too far for a pickup.

I'm unsure where the spam musubi came from. When we were on one of the squares in Chinatown one of the guides was giving the talk, while the other was running around gathering and preparing the samples. The dish with the musubi was ahi poke, kinda like a tuna ceviche. Our guide said that most local grocery stores sell a variety of different poke. You can sample them there before buying.

So far, my husband has been writing the TR. This day - Friday - was my spa day. So he asked me to add my thoughts. This is Melody - the "mel" in travlrmel.

I did not want to leave Aulani without going to the spa. Plus - I did not want to leave Hawaii without getting a Lomi Lomi massage. (Lomi Lomi is my favorite massage style, but difficult to find anyone trained in this style in Colorado.)

I learned from the yoga instructor (on Tuesday) that spa tours are offered daily at 8:00 am and 6:00 pm. I scheduled massage on Wednesday - two days prior. Scheduling was very easy - and I was able to schedule multiple treatments.

We visited the spa on Tuesday. They were out of brochures, so I struggled to decide what I wanted to do. Luckily, I was able to refer to the DISboards. I selected my services from this site: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/aulani-hawaii-resort/spa-services.htm.

There has already been some TRs about the spa. I won't have any photos that are as good as the one already posted. http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/g1350-aulani-spa-and-fitness-center.html
However, one element you can't get from the photos is the sense of calm the environment evokes. Going down the hallway creates a sense of tranquility. The stone I selected was "balance" or "pono" in Hawaiian.

I started with a Laniwai White Bath soak. This soak was outdoors (see stolen pic): http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/aulani-spa-and-fitness-center/p69085-laniwai-spa-37.html

I was left alone to enjoy the soak by myself. I had a pitcher of cold water, two muffins, and two guava jellies to munch on while I had the time alone. If going down the hallway started the movement to relaxation, the soak only continued the journey.

My second treatment was Nature's Magical Niu, which was a coconut scrub. The scents were amazing. The scrub was very enjoyable and I don't have any complaints. However, I will just point out in the the description, it states, "You are then wrapped in hydrating Ti leaves." I had a total of six Ti leaves -- and this was far from being "wrapped." The wrapping comes from the sheets and towels that you cocooned in after the scrub. My treatment was indoors - most likely because I had the scrub. (You might have seen pictures of massages outdoors.) After the scrub, I was able to take a shower in the room. My skin was so soft and smooth after the scrub. I felt like I was glowing - even though the room was dimmed. Once I dried off, I laid back down on the massage table for my third and final treatment -- the Signature Lomi Lomi.

For DVC members, I was able to upgrade to the signature Lomi Lomi (from the normal Lomi Lomi) at no extra cost. The difference is the use of hot stones with this massage technique. If you are not familiar with this style, think of a massage in waves. The therapist uses the heels of their hands or forearms to move across the body in waves.

I wish I could have added a few more services so that I could have spent the whole day there. The staff is very professional and you feel comfortable at all times.

--------------------------------------------------------------
While she was at the spa, I drove to the Northwest. We'd take the road into Ko Olina and get off the exit, never seeing the other side of the exit. I drove out there to see what was there. It was definitely less crowded, there were several beaches that were fairly empty. I stopped at a small independent grocery store and picked a couple bags of Lion coffee and pink Hawaiian sea salt. Had lunch at a hole in the wall restaurant and got a Korean Kalbi (beef short ribs) plate lunch with a choice of 4veg.
375187_2826795672145_1863981579_n.jpg

When I got back to the hotel, Mel was back from the spa. We went to Costco and did out Christmas shopping, it is only 3 or 4 miles away. We got some more coffee and chocolate covered macadamia nuts. We also had to go to Target to buy luggage to bring it all home. Since I had my lunch, Mel grabbed a quick bite of pizza while we were at Costco it's the same price as the mainland. The counter was very crowded, lots of folks getting whole pies. I figure that pizza joints that cheap aren't too common there (just a guess though).

We ate at the resort for dinner, for the second time during our stay. We ate downstairs at Makahiki, it's a buffet style restaurant. The food was good, mostly Hawaiian type food, they had an Asian spiced brisket. I asked the waitress if she could find out what the spices were. She wrote them down for me, I am BBQ fan so I'm going to try to reproduce it. The laulau pork was very good also.

We tried to get a quick breakfast there earlier in the day, but since the character was going on, we couldn't get in and out quick enough, we ended up going to McDonald's. I got the Spam and Portuguese sausage plate. I liked the Spam better than the sausage.
381939_2784521335313_1591301635_n.jpg

Day 6 tips and reminders:
- Bring a bathing suit to the spa (you may want to spend time in their outdoor spa area that is co-ed.)
- Tip (at 20%) was automatically included when paying the bill
- Get reservations if the character breakfast is going on
- Pick up Hawaiian souvenirs at Costco and Target
- Fill up your gas tank at Costco it was about $0.30/gal cheaper than Honolulu

Your photos are crystal clear. What type of camera did you use?

For this trip, I used point-n-shoot type cameras (actually 3 of them). I have amassed a collection of them, each has a strength but none of them do everything. I didn't bring the DSLR due to all the wet areas we were visiting. It even rained on us during the food tour.

For this trip I used an old Canon S70 (7.2mp) because I have an underwater housing for it that is good down to 130ft. I used it during the snuba because it was good to a deeper depth. The housing makes it a bit bulky to use for anything else. Since this is an older camera, it is larger than the other 2.

I also bought an Olympus Stylus 9000 because it has a 12X optical zoom (12mp).

Just for this trip, I bought a refurb'd Olympus Tough-8010 (14mp). It is ruggedized and is waterproof down to 33ft. Used it during the snorkel and general picture taking. The 2 Olympus cameras use the same battery so I ended up swapping them and using this camera.

Love your trip report!! And good job eating local!! :) I LOVE spam musabi and you hit the good bakeries for cream puffs and malasadas!

Day 7

Woke up early again even though we had a late flight. We asked for express checkout and were supposed to get our final bill under the door. We didn't get one so we stopped by the desk after dropping our bags off in the car. We wanted to get the bill to see if there were any charges to dispute. Sure enough, the $35/day parking fee was on the bill. We told them that they said that it would be waived since we were DVC members (even though we were hotel guests). We had a feeling that this would be overlooked so we saved the voicemail saying that it would be. She took it off with no problem.

We headed out to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. We got there around 9:00 in the morning. Traffic and parking wasn't that bad, we managed to navigate our way there OK even though GPS was a bit hard to follow. When you get to the memorial park, no bags, purses, or backpacks are allowed inside. There is a manned locker room to store you stuff. Cost is $3.00
PC030355.jpg

When you get inside, go to the tour desk (straight ahead) and get your tour ticket as soon as you can, it's free for the memorial but you have to pay for the Bowfin and Missouri. They issue the tickets on a first come basis. Our ticket was for 11:30 so we had a while to wait. The bars we had for breakfast weren't cutting it so we grabbed a sandwich at the shop. Browsed the museums which are also free and basically killed time till our tour. Boarded the boat and sat on the Right (starboard) right of the boat. I'd say gives you good pictures as you approach the memorial.
381826_2784503854876_1648258650_n.jpg

It was an overcast day and the water was murky so we couldn't see a whole lot when we got inside. Still a moving tribute after all these years.
PC030391.jpg

383300_2784504734898_875561874_n.jpg

Had lunch at Big Kahuna pizza near the rental car dropoff place. I got the Sumo, pretty interesting pizza, it had your typical Hawaiian meats on it (except for Spam).
384738_2774095874683_381574166_n.jpg

PC030416.jpg

Arrived at the airport with lots of time to spare. The main terminal is not airconditioned so I was dying after dragging our bags around. Luckily the gate terminal is airconditioned. We were hanging out at our gate when a camera crew showed up. One of them, a producer I guess announced that 8 Pearl Harbor survivors were on the incoming flight. They were all greeted with applause when they came off the jetway. At the adjoining gate, 5 more came off that flight. People were coming up to them shaking their hands and asking for autographs like they were rockstars. They must have been doing something for the 70th anniversary.
PC030425.jpg

The flight was overnight, leaving HNL at 6:00PM arriving at DFW at 5:00AM hopped on our connecting flight and slept some more. When we got back to Colorado, I had to put on some jeans and a jacket at the terminal. Started shoveling snow when we got to the house (sigh).

Travel tips from day 7

- get to airport early (no brainer)
- check you bill before you leave
- Don't carry any bags into the memorial park
- Go to the Pearl memorial EARLY anything after 10:00AM is too late
- go directly to the ticket desk and get your tickets ASAP

- Don't carry any bags into the memorial park
- Go to the Pearl memorial EARLY anything after 10:00AM is too late
- go directly to the ticket desk and get your tickets ASAP

Thanks for the Peal Harbor tips, were heading there Jan. 7th so it sounds like if we leave Aulani by 9AM we should be fine.

What a nice greeting for the veterans!

Thanks for the Peal Harbor tips, were heading there Jan. 7th so it sounds like if we leave Aulani by 9AM we should be fine.

What a nice greeting for the veterans!

I generally recommend that people heading to Pearl Harbor should go EARLY - early as possible. The visitors center opens at 7 AM and the tours to the Arizona start at 8 AM. Getting there early means waiting less for the ferry ride out to the Arizona. Also, if you get there too late in the day, it's always possible for them to run out of the ferry tickets. To make more efficient use of your time, I'd recommend going earlier than later.

Also remember that the trip towards PH also is the same route for the majority of the morning commute going into town on weekdays - as a result, the trip from Aulani to PH can be as short as 20 minutes and as long as an hour plus. Please take this into account when planning travel times.

travlrmel - congrats on finding Big Kahuna's - and it looks like you ordered the Big Kahuna's Balls on top of the sumo pizza. I LOVE the balls! :rotfl2:

Also remember that the trip towards PH also is the same route for the majority of the morning commute going into town on weekdays - as a result, the trip from Aulani to PH can be as short as 20 minutes and as long as an hour plus. Please take this into account when planning travel times.

We're going on the weekend so can I assume the traffic might not be as bad as weekdays? Right now it looks like we'll go to PH on Sat, Jan 7th.

Yes, it was a Saturday morning when we went, and the traffic wasn't as bad as Wed. We planned for an hour to get from Aulani to PH. We got there around 9:00 and had 11:30 tickets for the boat. Around 9:45, I heard people saying that they had 1:30 tickets. The earlier you get there, the shorter your wait.

Put our Hawaiian gift baskets together. Stuff we picked up from various locations. Hopefully I can get them sent out today. Clockwise from Left
Hurricane Popcorn
Pink Sea Salt
SPAM flavored macadamia nuts
Hawaiian coffee (Don't know if it's Kona)
Li Hing powder (dried plum)
Kona Coffee flavored candy
Chocolate covered Macadamia nuts
IMG_4111.jpg

This is an excellent TR! May I ask where you got all of the information about excursions before you left for Aulani? We ware going in August and I hate being a slave to organized excursions. We want to do different things and want to use our rental car.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I started with this page:
http://aulaniexcursions.resorts.disney.go.com

Then I opened the page for the tour I was interested in. If you look at the bottom, it says "Operated by Pleasant Activities".

Then I went to their page:
http://pleasantactivities.com/hawaii.cfm

Pleasant Activities kinda looks like a booking company. On some tours, you can drill down further to see who actually gives the tour. I'm guessing that the official Disney excursions are slightly different, but I don't know for certain since We didn't take any.

Haven't been back here in quite awhile. Was surprised at the number of views this TR had. Felt like it was my duty to fix all the dead photo links. I linked them to my Facebook account, they had an update which changed all the addresses of them. Hopefully everyone can see all the pictures now.

Travlrmel, thank so much for a great TR!!! I really enjoyed reading it and learned so much from it. We will be traveling there this summer and are looking forward to it now more than before. I am so glad you had a great time!
As far as the gifts, you mentioned they were purchased Costco and Target. I know there is a Costco nearby, but where is the Target that you shopped at? I mean, since the same chain of stores carry different items.

We went for a visit from on Sept 20-29 this year. There were a few changes made to the resort since our last visit (when this thread was originally started.)

The stingray pool has been removed and a new pool with a grotto and infinity edge has been added.

1377432_10202129386939290_310984183_n.jpg

1377004_10202129387859313_1872151234_n.jpg

Ulu, a new Quick serve cafe was also added in the area:

1376591_10202169324577706_1782690962_n.jpg

734127_10202169322177646_177747135_n.jpg

1384048_10202129386219272_1443813318_n.jpg

We were also able to catch the Starlit Hui this time. We thought of it as a Luau without the food. Lots of fun too.

1375087_10202129377259048_1406767235_n.jpg

1238029_10202129375939015_246577766_n.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter