August????

Like you, I can't stand the heat and I have been to WDW in August. For me, it was tolerable since I was coming from Connecticut where it is also hot and humid at that time of year. We would go into our park of choice for opening, stay until 1:00 or so and then head back to the hotel and spend the afternoon at the pool. After a quick shower, we were ready to head back into the parks around 4:30 for dinner and whatever else we had planned.

We are in CT too, and have traveled in AUgust before. It was always about the same, but last year was horrific! WE were there the same time the OP is planning and it must me said...I am not a trooper so no slugging thru thunderstorms that last well over an hour....so that was an issue for us. THe heat and humidity was something I had never experienced in prior years. It is going to be a long time til I book that week again.

That's about when we're going, I'm hoping we'll survive!

Mind telling me which airline you're flying? I've had no luck finding anything reasonable out of DTW so far, hoping that prices go down when Southwest releases their schedules.
I am following this too! My DH cousin is getting married in June and the flights are over 450 per person.

Hi guys,
Fellow Michigander here. We have been the last two weeks in August a few times -- Is it awful? Can be. Are there daily thunderstorms? Probably. Will you make it? Definitely. We actually try to find the humor in it -- aka my dad's "insta-sweat" from the humidity. Take breaks if you can in the afternoons (during the hottest time of the day or when it ends up raining). You'll have a great time!

Anyway, back to flights. Have you guys thought about flying out of Flint with Southwest? Flint is actually closer to us by 15-20min (maybe more considering the 275/96 AM traffic). Just something to look into. We got round trip flights for $250 round trip. Plus the parking is only $7 a day. Might be worth looking into!

Thank you!!!!

That's about when we're going, I'm hoping we'll survive!

Mind telling me which airline you're flying? I've had no luck finding anything reasonable out of DTW so far, hoping that prices go down when Southwest releases their schedules.

Yep Spirit Air Flight 801 departs at 6:15am. The flight were 590 and then we added the bag fees was a little over 700 for five.

I've lived in Upper Michigan, my family is all from New Hampshire, and we now live in Texas. It will be unbelievably hot for you. One of my friends, from Texas, says Florida hot is different and that they launch the space shuttle from there because Florida is closer to the sun. LOL

Seriously consider touring plans, or whatever plan you want, to do the parks at rope drop and be out of there by lunch. Go back to the room and pool and cool off, then go back out for dinner and the dark. Wear breathable clothing (no tee-shirts), sun hats, and drink water so much that you know where every bathroom in the park is. A sun umbrella is not a bad idea. You'll have a great time, but knowing how my relatives and friends do in this sort of heat, just be mindful of it.

We went at the end of Aug several years ago. Never again! It was soooo hot and humid that as soon as we walked out of our resort room (and this was in the early morning) the sweat would start. It was awful! But, we ended up managing the best we could. We went to the parks at opening then went back to the resort swimming every afternoon. We went back to the parks in the evening, which was only a little relief. The sun was down but still very humid. Drink lots and lots of water, and go into AC every now and then when needed. In btw attractions we would stop in shops if we felt the need. One thing was the crowds were pretty good. But, I will say this, if that is the only time you could go, it is better than not going! After all, you will still be at Disney!

I'm from S. Louisiana & we have the same type of weather here as in Disney. And even though we are use to that type of humid heat, it still gets to us.

Here's some of what we do before a Disney trip in the heat & what we bring:

Start a month before trip walking at home in the heat to kind of get use to it.
Use sunscreen
Wear a hat
Buy & bring a mister fan, total life saver
Water, water, water
Start your day early
Frog toggs
Sit, stand in the shade as much as possible
Walk thru the shops whenever possible
Wear breathable clothing
Bring Ponchos
And remember even though the pool feels good, you can still get heat stroke & burns

Try not to worry too much, ya'll will be fine & will have a wonderful trip!!

I have gone to Disney more times in August and that is my preferred time. Yes, it's
hot, but, I'd rather be hot at Disney then at home :rolleyes1 Plus anything indoors is air
conditioned and sometimes that is tooooooo cool...:mickeybar This year I am going August 15 for several
days...I will just take my chilly frogg toggs...and drink lots of water.... Enjoy your time...pixiedust:

Okay am i 100000% crazy for booking a trip the 25th-30of August? We are from Michigan and not really a fan of the heat, but our oldest is starting High School and We cant take her our of school and I work for a airline so I cant take time off around the holidays. Are we total nuts and are we going to hate this trip? We norm go in the fall but went once in September and it was HOT. Please tell me we can do this with breaks and lots and lots of water???

thats the same week we are going ... we are going that week because it falls inline with our daughters birthday. I can't wait... we went in september a few years ago and we live in Texas... Hubby brings a camelbak with water though so we stay REALLY hydrated :) I think you'll do fine : )

We went the 3rd week this past August. I would of loved to of went the last week because the crowds drop off a lot.
It was hot but I didn't think it was that bad as some say. We had a great time even with the heat and storms every afternoon.
We would go to the park in the morning and either go swim in the afternoon or stay in the park and plan table service meals and air conditioned rides to get in out of the heat.
There are plenty of shows and rides that you can go in to regroup from the heat if you stay in the park. Also we brought bottles of cold water and a misting fan with ice water is a must.
Afternoon thunderstorms were almost every day but only lasted about an hour.

Crowd wise that is an excellent time to go. I'm there almost every year at that time.

Last year there was a hurricane threatening, but it fizzled over Cuba and never arrived in Florida. Still, a lot of people apparently cancelled their trips. No crowds. There was some rain though.

If you're 100000% crazy, then I guess I'm 100000000% crazy. My daughter and I have visited Mickey during the last week of August for 13 years straight! We have been there at other times, and we prefer it. The summer crowds most certainly do thin out, AND the heat most certainly does cause you to slow down. We think that's a good thing. Disney is great at a more relaxed pace! I totally recommend that big break in the middle of the day. Hit the park very early, go back and enjoy your hotel, linger over lunch, swim, etc.
PS - Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. At the very first sign of a headache or dry mouth... hydrate! ANd then hydrate some more. (You get the picture) HAVE FUN!

thank you so much for all of your help I feel better about going. I think breaks will be a must. Not only the heat but our youngest has autism and he will need to just chill and re group.

My big question is if we are staying at a Disney hotel can we use pools at other Disney hotels?

My daughter's suggestion... wear flip-flops. They don't get hot and sweaty like sneakers do. The dry off quickly after rain storms and Splash Mountain. That's all we pack. Of course, mom always has ones with some arch support!

Okay am i 100000% crazy for booking a trip the 25th-30of August? We are from Michigan and not really a fan of the heat, but our oldest is starting High School and We cant take her our of school and I work for a airline so I cant take time off around the holidays. Are we total nuts and are we going to hate this trip? We norm go in the fall but went once in September and it was HOT. Please tell me we can do this with breaks and lots and lots of water???
I went those exact dates last year. (one less day). It was a short trip for my son's third birthday. 4 nights, 2 park days and one pool day. It was a fun trip .. but had disappointing moments because of the weather.

Here is how I summarize it:
1) Hot and humid in the morning and early afternoons, but not unbearable
2) POURED (downpour) for hours every afternoon at some point. (sometimes it was at lunch .. sometimes it was late afternoon. but it ALWAYS rained)
3) Was comfortable in the evening.

It was fine. It was more than fine. It was a great and memorable trip. (I mean .. some funny moments as my wife, son and I rush to get to Muppets before the thunderstorm tears open the skey and them run through the downpour afterward to go to Pizza Planet .. :)). Some great memories there.

Just be prepared for the heat and the raining. Carry water and cooling towels and ponchos and dress with stuff that dries quickly (from rain or sweat). We were, so we never felt inconvenienced by the weather. Just had to change some plans because of it.

GO EARLY (rope drop, early EMH) .. and stay late to avoid the heat AND the crowds. Take a break (see a show, go back to your hotel) in the middle of the afternoon.

The crowds were fine .. much better than they were in October of 2014.

Last summer featured a LOT of that pouring rain. It rained through nearly our entire 11 day stay. I always visit in August, and I have never seen the rain be so punishing. Not only rain, but lightning that was more than enough to make me seek shelter, and I don't usually worry that much about a bit of lightning. There were at least two evenings where we completely gave up, and went back to the hotel, and a couple more where we really didn't get a whole lot of anything done because of the rain and lightning.

thank you so much for all of your help I feel better about going. I think breaks will be a must. Not only the heat but our youngest has autism and he will need to just chill and re group.

My big question is if we are staying at a Disney hotel can we use pools at other Disney hotels?

The official policy is no pool hopping.

Port Orleans guests can use the main pools or quiet pools at both Riverside & French Quarter though.

We are August visitors and can fully agree with all the advice given.. it is not bad if you are prepared & plan!
Our worst (read unbearable - lol) vacation to WDW was a third week in September a few years back... it was brutally humid & the storms were torrential daily. Our last August trip we had one real storm & several cloudbursts.

No, you can't use the pool at other resorts, except for sister resorts (the two Port Orleans, the Allstars.) But you can't stay at Pop Century and use the pool at Art of Animation or the Polynesian.

We were at Disney last August, the week right before kids went back to school. I like the week you are going. The crowds will quiet down as school is back in session.

There were thunderstorms. We were prepared with ponchos. However, I was wearing comfortable mesh running shoes that were not water resistant. I would have been better off with leather or something else water resistant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter