August weather

sydprincess

Crazy about Mickey and my girls!
Just how unbearable is the heat? And is it still rainy season during the month?

You coming from WI, the heat will be bearable ... but the humidity will be unbearable ... the instant you step outside you will sweat in places you have never sweat before!

Expect it to rain in August usually in the late afternoon hours unless there is a storm system rolling across the state then it could potentially rain all day. This holds true for pretty much any month in Florida though so I wouldn't base a trip on it .... doesn't matter when you come to FL, expect rain!

ETA: and yes ... you are still in Hurricane season (Jun-Nov)

It might depend on the day,I think the best to hope for during August is a nice cloudy,windy day with no rain,the clouds wil cover the sun and the wind will ease off the sweating because you will sweat in August no doubt about that.August is hot,humid and there can be rain at any time as rainy season will run from June through the first 1-2 weeks of October,although it seems like it's started very early this year.If you're from a colder climate and it's 89-90,cloudy and windy you might feel very uncomfortable while a local would say that's not too bad for August.Then again you may have a day with highs in the 95-98 range with heat indexes near 120 when nobody can feel comfortable,you just stand outside for a couple of minutes and are drenched in sweat.I had a day like that in the theme parks about 3 years ago in August,I however also had a day like that in May about 8 years ago so the truth is it will be hot in August,how bad it will be who knows as it can be hot or it can be an oven anytime from May through October,the same for rain,you can have several pretty dry days or you can have guaranteed daily thunderstorms every day of your trip.

Surface of the sun hot and very very Humid.Rain showers pretty much daily

Oh yeah, surface of the sun hot is right.

We went Aug 2012 and had temps in the high 90's with high humidity every day. There was a daily thunderstorm around 5PM.

We manage the heat/humidity combo by touring early AM, with RP or morning EMH. Taking a daily break/swim/nap during the worst heat and crowds of the afternoon and then going back to a non-EMH park after the sun sets.

I did a lot of laundry, as we would change clothes x2 a day. You start sweating as soon as you walk out of the hotel.

I drink lots of water and Gatorade to keep hydrated. I bring a small Frog Tog towel to wipe my face with cool water and a small fan. Body Glide to stop chaffing and moleskin for blisters.

We did August last year and we survived, and we are from east coast Canada. Not exactly used to heat. ;)
Yes you sweat. All the time. Wear cotton. Lots of sunblock hats and fluids. We loved the showers, they cooled is off. Honestly by the second day we got used to it and we did parks every day.

I was one of those people who swore they would never go in the summer or during any holiday.

Well August 2011 XH was supposed to take the kids. Something came up and he couldn't take them. He told me I could take them on him. The ENTIRE trip was paid in full. Dining plan and all. So I took the kids!

Yes it was hot. But not unbearable. I'm from NJ. We would get to the parks at rope drop or do EMH park. Go back and do the pool or relax around 12 and hit the parks again around 5. The sun does drain you. It would hit me all of a sudden. I could literally sit on a bench and just fall asleep. On day 3 or 4 we didn't do the pool midday...we just took a nap. All of us.

I do not remember it raining much if at all. Maybe one day as we were leaving an ADR or going to an ADR I do remember it raining hard and then stopping.

We are going to go again in August. The crowds were low, the lines were short and it was the best trip we were ever had. We met every princess and rode every ride we wanted to ride...some multiple times.

Hot, humid and it will rain every day for at least 30 minutes (maybe longer). Hurricane Season peaks in September, so keep that in mind as well.

That being said, I find August in WDW to be tolerable, simply because I have had 2-3 months of hot/humid at home to get used to it.

HOT, HUMID, and daily afternoon quick showers. These showers usually do not last long at all though! As long as you plan accordingly (drink plenty of water, use moisture wicking clothes, etc.) you should be fine! We were nervous too last year because we usually go in the fall when the weather was perfect. But we were pleasantly surprised on our first August trip last year! :cool1:

When you step out of your room, you will feel as if a hot yet still damp blanket, fresh from the dryer, has been thrown over your head. With a garbage bag over it. While you stand next to a campfire. Clear enough? It you take precautions and just give up ever trying to be cool, you can still have fun. We've been in Aug. and almost always go sometime in the summer, an we've had great trips.

Thanks all- appreciate the advice and tips. Hoping I won't melt, but I suppose it'll be worth it if Ido :thumbsup2

I was one of those people who swore they would never go in the summer or during any holiday.

Well August 2011 XH was supposed to take the kids. Something came up and he couldn't take them. He told me I could take them on him. The ENTIRE trip was paid in full. Dining plan and all. So I took the kids!

Yes it was hot. But not unbearable. I'm from NJ. We would get to the parks at rope drop or do EMH park. Go back and do the pool or relax around 12 and hit the parks again around 5. The sun does drain you. It would hit me all of a sudden. I could literally sit on a bench and just fall asleep. On day 3 or 4 we didn't do the pool midday...we just took a nap. All of us.

I do not remember it raining much if at all. Maybe one day as we were leaving an ADR or going to an ADR I do remember it raining hard and then stopping.

We are going to go again in August. The crowds were low, the lines were short and it was the best trip we were ever had. We met every princess and rode every ride we wanted to ride...some multiple times.

Can I ask what part of August you went? We are planning Aug. 4-10 - hoping the crowds will be like you explained. ;)

Ok...yes...it's hot but I like it better than May.

Love the lower crowd levels and of august and frankly..the mid afternoon swim is awesome and refreshing.

about to do my third august trip myself and we personally find it not only bearable but fun. If it's hot...we swim, do indoor attractions, mix it up and drink lots of water.

We go every early August-dh is a teacher so we're doomed to go when it's scorchingly hot. We're from WI. We love it! Yes, it's blazing hot and suck-the-life-out-of-you humid. And yes, there's some amount of rain daily. But actually, our WI summers can get pretty darn hot and humid, so it's actually not that bad for us. Our bodies have acclimated over the summer and we wear lightweight moisture-wicking clothes. We drop into air-conditioned shops for a break if we need it. We head back to our resort mid-day for a rest and swim break to recharge. We drink A LOT of water. And actually, we don't find the crowds all that bad.

::yes::
When you step out of your room, you will feel as if a hot yet still damp blanket, fresh from the dryer, has been thrown over your head. With a garbage bag over it. While you stand next to a campfire. Clear enough? It you take precautions and just give up ever trying to be cool, you can still have fun. We've been in Aug. and almost always go sometime in the summer, an we've had great trips.

:lmao: This the BEST description I have ever heard ! and Ohhh so true would LOVE to hear you describe mosquitos :faint:

I did August a few years ago during an excessive heat wave. Based on that experience I suggest the following:

Plan indoor activities - those are the things you'll have the best memories about. This is the trip to do Hoop De Do Review, Cirque du Sole (sp?), spend an entire afternoon at Innoventions, do all the indoor shows, drawing class at DHS, etc.

Skip most outdoor things this trip. - Save the in the sun parades, shows, character meets, outdoor que rides (such as the Tomorrowland Speedway), mini-golf, ect for next trip. After dark can be OK for some of this, but not daytime.

Plan World Showcase for late afternoon/evening. Daytime in WS in August is way to hot. You'll miss some of the shows but watching them in the hot sun is no fun anyway.

Plan some fun meals. You may not want to eat much, but the character meal we did and some of the better counter service (we were on the QSDP) were trip highlights.

Take pictures in the morning. You won't want to look at any you take after the first hour or two.

Bring a good handheld fan. They sell ones in the camping department at Target for about $3. It is pocket sized and has hard plastic blades that aren't for the careless or clumsy, but the plastic blades move a ton more air than the foam blades on spritzer fans. Keep the batteries in it fresh (use rechargeables). You will use this a lot. Get one for everyone.

Bring a water bottle for everyone. It's amazing how quickly you can go from being a little thirsty to dizzy and light headed. You don't want to be stuck on a bus in traffic, waiting for the park to open, or in the stands at Lights Motors Action and not have a way to get a drink.

Get acclimated before you leave. The advantage of going in August is you have all summer to acclimate to it. Try and do outdoor things (safely) during the heat of the day. Mow the grass, clean the garage, shop at an outdoor market, work out, etc as much as you can this summer.

You can have a good trip in August, it might just be a little different than trips in cooler times. :thumbsup2

I love this comparison - it's very poetic!:)

I think part of how well people cope with the extreme heat and humidity depends on where they live. Folks who are used to hot and humid weather seem to cope better, in general. For me, a Pacific Northwesterner, it's hard to deal with. Heat+Humidity just sucks the energy out of me, and tends to make me pretty crabby. I know myself pretty well, and prefer to go at cooler times of the year.

Well living in Britain, 3 weeks in Florida in August is our only way of getting guaranteed summer :D

The first year we went in summer was 2005, where a lot of record highs were set. That was scorchingly hot even in the shade. In 2007 we arrived partway into a 14 day dry spell which ended in a spectacular thunderstorm that raged from around 2pm (when we'd hired golf carts around Fort Wilderness) until midnight. And then 2010 and 2012, well we swear the summers are getting colder! Even wrapped my arms around myself upon leaving the room one morning (I have an irrational fear that Florida will suddenly turn into the Arctic so do a temperature check every morning when I wake up!!!) Nah, it's hot and it's humid with a shower/thunderstorm rolling in late afternoon. It depends on individuals, we love it despite being from a more temperate climate where Floridian heat would be described as a heatwave...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter