• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August WDW trip

nalia

Earning My Ears
hi all!

We have been to the world several times but have mostly gone in Feb and March. My sister is bringing her daughter for her very first trip but they can only go at the end of August. What are we getting ourselves into? I am thinking it will be very HOT and we will all be dripping from humidity.

Tips or tricks to survive the trip?!

Very hot, very crowded, very humid.

I recommend something like Nike DriFit material for shirts/shorts, short cuts through stores to the next ride, we bring a cooler filled with ice and water bottles in the car, and we also take a break for a few hours from like noon or 1pm until about 4 or 5. Quick service counters can give you small cups of ice water for free. We don't use any at WDW but bring sunscreen if you need it. Hats are lifesavers. Take advantage of rides you might think are boring but offer a relaxing sit down in A/C such as Ellens Energy, Hall of Presidents, American Adventure, Carousel of Progress, etc

You won't get use to the heat and humidity after a day or two. It'll be brutal and it'll feel like you're walking near the sun lol.

End of August is crowded bit not as bad as earlier in the summer. It will be hot, it will be humid and it will rain most days (short thunderstorms).

Get to the parks at RD or opening, try to do as much as you can in the 1st 3 hours. Do go back to your resort and get some pool or AC time in especially the 1st 2 or 3 days. Then head back to the parks after 6:00 pm when it's a little (relative) cooler. As PP said wear clothes that dry and wear a hat if you don't mind them. I put 2 or 3 water bottles in the freezer at night (DVC Villas have freezers) and put them in my backpack by 10:00 am they've melted and are ready to drink.

August is brutal but if we're lucky WE'LL get some afternoon rains to drop the temp! July and August are the only times I wish for rain at WDW. Just bring or buy some ponchos.

We went the third week of August last year & I didn't think it was bad crowd-wise at all. Now the heat & humidity are another story -- WOW! The good news is, everyone' s dripping with sweat & so you'll have plenty of folks to commiserate with - ha! Drink LOTS of water & definitely use mornings & evenings to your advantage. We'd definitely do it again if that week worked out best for us.

Food and Wine Festival at Epcot starts on August 31 and possible MNSSHP in the last week of August. It is definitely hot and humid. Plan resort break time, rides with A/C or TS dining in the afternoon, so you can last longer for night time activities. When you are prepared and planned for the heat, it's actually a great time to visit. I am a teacher, so I can only go in late August with better rates and possible free dining offer.

Have fun planning!

Whenever I have been its always been the end of August. The crowds don't seem bad. The heat has never bothered me because I just expect it. We are also going the end of August this year. I just make sure to pack ponchos in my bad since it will rain. I bought a stainless steel water bottle from Amazon so the water will stay cold, and I will just keep refilling it by getting water for QS restaurants. Just do some indoor activities to keep cool and you will be fine! Have a great trip!!

I always travel between the middle and end of August. I honestly think the later half of August is one of the best times to travel. Crowds start to drop as Southern schools are back in session, and Norther schools are starting as well, and park hours are typically still long.

It will be hot, miserably hot, and humid, and in all likelihood it will downpour every afternoon for somewhere between 15 minutes, and an hour. The rains tend to drive the crowds away a bit though. Drink lots of water, hit the long air conditioned attractions mid day when it is super hot, and have fun!

We have gone the end of August the last two years and love it, way less crowded especially the last week of August, it is hot, humid, and rains with no warning at times but we are going back again this year. You need to break in the afternoon, the heat does wear you out. I tolerate the heat well as does my Daughter, but you would not catch my husband and son there in August.

The worst rain I've ever been caught in at Disney was in February. That was soaked to the bone wet and it went on all day. August rain doesn't last long, and it's so stinking hot that you are dry pretty quickly after it stops. The humidity is thick. Use common sense. You can't go go go all day and not stop for breaks. You have to drink more water than you think you need, and then more still.
One of my favourite things about August is swimming in the evenings before bed. I can't be guaranteed pool time on winter trips. The promos are great at the end of August as well. As with any time of year at Disney it's all about preparing and setting realistic expectations. If you plan well, you will have a wonderful time. :)

last week in August, the crowds drop off significantly so you have that going for you. Much less crowded than beginning of August. But yes....very hot, could rain every day (which you will welcome).

We typically alternate between end of April and end of August...the crowds at the end of August are really decent, but yeah that heat! We manage it by taking mid day breaks and plenty of time at the pool.

hi all!

We have been to the world several times but have mostly gone in Feb and March. My sister is bringing her daughter for her very first trip but they can only go at the end of August. What are we getting ourselves into? I am thinking it will be very HOT and we will all be dripping from humidity.

Tips or tricks to survive the trip?!

Very hot, very humid, and high likelihood of showers, however crowds are pretty decent. We like to plan a TS ADR for a late lunch to get out of the heat/crowds. We also generally plan longer, often indoor attractions for the afternoons.

We have been a few times in August and taking a break, as previously stated is a MUST!

I only have a few things to add:

Pay attention to your hydration. CM recommend 1 bottle of water per person per hour in the heat of the day. I shot for about 1/2 that and we were good. So you may need to order a case from amazon to be delivered to the resort. Also, I only allowed soda at mealtimes. This way they were hydrating well during the day.

Consider getting a misting fan. They are heaven in the heat.

After your lunchtime break, you will probably want to put fresh clothes on. So pack accordingly or do some laundry while the little one is swimming.

Keep vacation fun. When you're done for the day, be done. Or split up and let the ones who want to take a break do so. It will make for a great trip for everyone, including you!

Hope you have an amazing time!!

I've been the last week of Aug/first week of Sept. a number of times. Start your day hydrated, wear sunscreen, take a mid day break and it's completely fine. I recommend a wide brimmed hat and sandals. Athletic shoes and socks just make your feet hotter (and the cement does increase that), even the moisture wicking ones. Don't carry anything, as that seems to increase heat. Cash, mb, id, credit card and phone is all you need if you take a mid day break to reapply sunscreen. I always change clothes and shoes then too, seems to make me feel 100% refreshed. Sundresses and flat sandals don't exactly take up a ton of room in your suitcase either. I've not found the crowds intolerable then at all, and I don't mind the heat - have a blast!

When I was young, I could have handled sandals for all day walking, even pretty ones with heels. Nowadays, only athletic shoes and socks will do. My last couple of trips were with two (different) girls who wore Vans/Converse canvas sneakers. Comfy enough I am sure. After a couple of long days, they were the only ones in the group complaining of painful feet. Mind you, the rest of us had sore legs, etc but our feet in our athletic shoes were just fine.

At the end of the day - it's up to you and what works for your feet. I would probably have been just fine with canvas shoes/sandals when I was young (and never got caught in public in athletic shoes!). Definitely not anymore.

That said, I also find it depends on the speed and amount of walking. These days, I like to move relatively quickly and cover a lot of ground on Disney trips. I get excited and besides, I can always use a little more exercise to work off that Mickey bar. If I'm doing a slow, partial day and only in the parks for a few hours or know I won't be doing a massive amount of walking, my Crocs flip flops are just fine.

I totally agree with limiting the stuff you carry. I usually just carry a small crossbody purse to hold my phone (even better if I have pockets so I can skip this!). Last September I was there and bought a backpack. I had pretty much nothing in it (just my hat) and after a few hours, I was not a happy camper. It was definitely a lot more draining than just my little crossbody bag. It had to be the heat trapped on my back. Ugh.

Oh and the change of clothes if you go back for a break! I pack light and I have forgotten about this several times (planning only one outfit a day). In the summer heat, a shower and a change of clothes is WONDERFUL. I had planned to pack about 4 outfits and now I am going to bump that up to 6-7 outfits (I will be doing laundry every 3-4 days).

We are planning our first August trip. Our approach is to take advantage of EMH and be back by 11-noon for a pool break or water parks. Parks planned for after 3-4pm.

We went the third week of August last year & I didn't think it was bad crowd-wise at all. Now the heat & humidity are another story -- WOW! The good news is, everyone' s dripping with sweat & so you'll have plenty of folks to commiserate with - ha! Drink LOTS of water & definitely use mornings & evenings to your advantage. We'd definitely do it again if that week worked out best for us.

Ditto this! We went end of Aug/beginning of Sept a few years back and didn't find the crowds to be bad at all. In fact, I think it was the least busy trip we have ever experienced in FL! But, yes, that dang heat and humidity is for real. It's like you wake up to take a shower and then you walk outside and it is as if you never showered at all. Ha ha! Lots of water, lots of breaks inside in the air conditioning, take a break in the afternoon when the heat is the worst, and you will have a great trip.

It will be very very hot and usuallt rains everyday for about an hour. People are saying crowds are big, but they really aren't. I've gone the past 3 Augusts in a row and the crowds were great. I've also gone to the parks in April and February. The crowds are often much bigger during those months. The end of August is one of my favorite times to go :) my advice is to just not go too crazy and be sure to always have water and take little breaks in shops and such for the AC. Overall I think that the end of August is a great time to visit WDW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter