August Trip??

babygirlamg

DIS Veteran
wasnt sure where to post this but.......i was orginally going to go in April but its not going to work out so im thinking of August...I know its really hot and the weather can change all the time but what is it like usually at the end of august weather wise....also how are the crowds???

Hi. We've gone a couple times around August 14 for a week-10 days. It's hot, and usually rains every day. Crowds are good because free dining usually starts the week or so after that, so you're in a bit of a "lull" time. After southern schools go back and before free dining. Prices are good, dining reservations are easy to get and waits are usually low.

There are mostly foreign visitors, not large tour groups but people from everywhere. It's like being at the United Nations - it's fun to hear all the different accents and languages.

This past year there were a few rainy days that started afternoon and never stopped so we stayed in. But it wasn't monsoon like rain so if you're so inclined you could have gone out and not been too soaking wet.

August is hot and humid. Afternoon thunderstorms which generally don't last long. Taking a mid-day (swim) break helps a lot!

Late August is moderately crowded. You will find families with younger children and those who have booked Free Dining (if it is being offered). The parks close earlier.

We've traveled many time the 3rd week of August. Good discounts! The parks aren't crowded as many schools are back in session and those that aren't have HS kids in football, band, etc.

It is HOT, but managable. Get to the parks as early as you can. Do the outside rides early. Around lunch time, we'd head back to our resort for a swim and/or rest. We'd head back out around dinner time.

Drink tons of water.

Lot's of late afternoon showers.

We've gone the last week of August for the past two years. Yes, it's hot, but not unbearable, crowds and prices are low. Biggest problem for us were the hurricane threats - Irene in 2011 and Isaac this past summer. While Irene was more of a problem for us because we are from NY, Isaac was also scary as we really didn't know where it was going to go. Anytime you book during hurricane season, you are taking a risk. Would definitely get travel insurance!!

We went this year August 15-22. It was hot, but not unbearable. It rained every afternoon, but we didn't let that bother us. We did early morning character breakfasts each morning, so we were out and about in the park at RD. We did all the headliners early in the day, then we'd leave around noonish and go back to the resort for a swim and take a break. We'd do a 5 pm or so dinner rezzie, then we'd hit the parks again around 6:30 for another 3 hours. We got to do everything we wanted. The parks were still running on the summer schedule that week, but the crowds were pretty manageable.

We went late August and as others have already mentioned, it is HOT and HUMID and showers will move through but didn't hang around for too long.

I doubt we will go back in August, we rarely have a problem booking later months. We prefer November (not during Thanksgiving) or early December. The reason we chose August was because it was over my DW 40th birthday. She insisted we did a land/sea combo at this time. When we got back she said also that it was a mistake.

But I guess hot, humid days at WDW is better than no days at WDW.

We've been in late August before and it was hot, but not as unbearable as the middle of July. The crowds are very manageable and the value season rates are great.:thumbsup2

We are returning August 2013 and did not hesitate to book in August. Take lots of AC breaks, enjoy some pool time and have fun!!

We always go the last 2 weeks of Aug. crowds aren't bad, and by the last week are considerably lower. It's value season, so rates are cheaper.
It is hot, and can have a daily T-storm around 3:00 lasts maybe 15 - 30 min.
We wear light loose clothing. And we take afternoon swim breaks.

Like others said August is hot and can rain a lot. Just make sure you spend some time at the pool - you'll need it!! LOL

When I have gone in August 2010 and 2012 the crowds were not that bad at the parks..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter