August minivan rates

PatMcDuck

DIS Veteran
I know this has been discussed, but I was looking for an update. Has anyone been able to secure a good rate with National for August? I have been looking for months, trying multiple codes. For a week, they are using a base rate of $699/week, which is insane. The best I can get with National is with Priceless or BJs, for $548 (total including fees). The highest was a staggering $814..........

I have a backup with Dollar, $288 total, but I will also have to pay 2nd driver penalty there.

Originally posted by PatMcDuck
I know this has been discussed, but I was looking for an update. Has anyone been able to secure a good rate with National for August? I have been looking for months, trying multiple codes. For a week, they are using a base rate of $699/week, which is insane. The best I can get with National is with Priceless or BJs, for $548 (total including fees). The highest was a staggering $814..........

I have a backup with Dollar, $288 total, but I will also have to pay 2nd driver penalty there.

It is not a penality, it is a fee. For what you are paying, 288.00, adding a 7.00 a day fee to that is not even close to what you would be paying at National.
You might also want to try the BJ's code and coupon over at Alamo. With BJ's they don't charge for the extra driver.

Can you tell me how your got 288 with Dollar? Did you use any codes? I am looking for Aug12-23 and I am getting 600 and up. I have one with dollar for 500 and that is the cheapest I am finding.

Will be there 8/2 thru 8/9 and I got $229.99 for the week using a code from the mousesavers.com site.

I am just curious, do you remember the code? I tried everything....so I thought.I can't get it lower than approx 500!! YIKES I didnt even pay that at Christmas. I thought Aug would be cheaper since it is "off season". Thank you

Pat
Have you tried the Am. Exp. code 5125601?
Mary (Mousesavers) suggests that you have an Am. Exp. card with you if you use it.

Sorry, I call that additonal charge a penalty, because it ticks me off! LOL. Also, Dollar has another trick up it's sleeve. When you go to get your minivan, they innocently ask if you want to pay the additional charge for the extended length model........ otherwise, they will place you in a small minivan (Caravan, vs Grand Caravan for example). The smaller minivan basically has no space for luggage. Budget did the same thing. With National (or Alamo), I can of course pick my minivan, and avoid the issue. (I need the bigger one, I have my son's wheelchair, and there are 6 of us). I would not MIND this, maybe, if I had the option to choose which size minivan on the website. They hit you with this as a surprise as you pick up your rental, and often, you just have to pay it. On top of the 2nd driver "fee", it makes me crazy!

I just love National, it is so fast, I like picking my own vehicle, too.

For Dollar, I used KISS3. I am very glad I booked it as a backup , as it could be "as good as it gets".

Thanks for all the responses, I will keep trying. My dates are Aug. 13-20, I think that Friday arrival is not the best day of the week for a "deal".

I've been looking also for a deal. We are arriving 7/31 - 8/8/04. We need a minivan as well. I have used Dollar many time (Two years ago we got the Grand Caravan and didn't pay anything extra) We had the Van for 11 days and paid 373. To my surprise I've been seeing the same insane prices that you have and we are only going to be there for 9 days. I finally got a rate of 390 from Dollar using the BJ's code and was fairly happy. Then I decided to try thrifty. I got a rate of $301 for 9 days. (I used the walmart code of AU02) So I have both reservations and have to decide if saving $90 is worth the hassle of taking the shuttle bus. Trying the Dollar codes you used I kept getting messages that there were no minivans available during my timeframe. National and Alamo are now owned by the same company and someone told me that they want National for the business travelers and Alamo for their family vacation travelers. I only rented once from Alamo and the lines to get your car was soooo long I vowed (yes it was probably 15 years ago) that I would never rent from them again. Now they are the official rental car of WDW they must have gotten better. Keep us posted if you find any good deals.

I checked the Thrifty rate using the AU02 code and my rate for 8/8 - 8/18 dropped by around $90 from the reservation I'm holding with Dollar. :D

Do you need a Walmart credit card when reserving? The fine print on the rental quote notes that you need it. I may sign up to save the $90.

what was the code u used to get the 288 quote from Dollar, Are there any different codes for those of us coming in from Tampa Airport. Any assistance would be appreciated ::yes::

what is the au02 code for thrifty, is there some type of requirement to use that code:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter