• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 5th 2012, Magic- NY to Canada

My DW and I are doing our Happy Dance....our cruise docs arrived...this will be one well earned cruise.

Is anyone else booked on the Hopewell Rocks excursion? On the facebook page, someone pointed out to us that the excursion is set to return at 5:30pm but the ship leaves port at 4:30! I guess I'm going to call DCL today to see what's up. I'm also going to go looking for any trip reports that might explain when they really return. Just wondering if anyone knows.

Is anyone else booked on the Hopewell Rocks excursion? On the facebook page, someone pointed out to us that the excursion is set to return at 5:30pm but the ship leaves port at 4:30! I guess I'm going to call DCL today to see what's up. I'm also going to go looking for any trip reports that might explain when they really return. Just wondering if anyone knows.

Just got off the phone with the DCL agent. The agent told me that her documentation says that we meet at 9AM and we should be back to the ship by 3pm. Also, she said that there is no way that the ship will leave before an excursion booked through DCL returns to the ship. The ship actually sails at 5pm from each port. I looked at the tide tables and the tides are in our favor for the August 8th date! It will be low tide when we are there and we'll be able to walk on the tidal floor!
:cool1::cool1::cool1:

WOW! What have you been hearing for prices?

We changed to a cabin on deck 2 from a veranda because DD will just turn 11 and I am not comfortable with her having the freedom to leave Edge to wander on her own so wanted a cabin near Edge for her to return to. She has been asking lately if she can do the lab again and I have been reading that some 11 and 12 year olds are choosing lab so now might consider upgrading at the port.

Hi! This may sound incredibly silly, so I apologize in advance. This will be our 4th Disney cruise. My DD is 11, nearly 12. Last year, we did the Alaska cruise when she was 10, nearly 11. She had full sign in/out privileges at the lab. She took a wave phone, was off and running, and was fine. Possibly the fact that we had cruised Disney before, possibly the fact that she had a pen pal prior to the cruise that she hung out with, possibly the fact that she is a pretty decent human being, everything went very smoothly. She knew the rules, and texted us every time she changed locations. We had meals together, went to the shows and did several excursions. However, when we were at sea, DD was doing her own thing, very happily.

I don't know that I would do this on any other line, and I can fully understand parents who might hesitate to be so permissive. Our DD is really looking forward to the Edge, but also has a younger brother who will be in the Lab. She will pick and choose most of how she spends her time, and I do not have any initial fears at this point. There were times when we'd get back to the room and she and her new friend would be hanging out there, but mostly, she was involved in the activities and having a blast.

Getting a little nervous. I have been reading some of the reports from returning cruisers from Canada and they have not been the greatest reports especially about the excursions. I guess we will have to make our own good time on the ship with our Disboard friends.

Sounds like a great plan, HappyGoofy! This will be our first cruise where I have no excursions planned. I did all of my own excursions last year, and the cruise prior. I do hope to go to the Bay of Fundy, but plan to just grab a cab and have them try to get us there at low tide. Beyond that, we may take the HO HO, or just wander. With the exception of Hopewell (which sounded like much too long a day for my group), nothing screamed at me that I _had_ to do it. So we're planning to make it up as we go along. . .

Hi all - it's literally been ages since I was on here. Just to let you all know...I'm still here! Phew...I was beginning to feel like my existence was in peril. ;)
I have added my MIL to the FE list...she was previously on a Bahamas cruise with us and really wanted to take part in the giving! I am starting to get excited for this one. My two oldest daughters and I will be doing the Red Coat for a Day in Halifax and the whole family is doing St. Martins and Bay of Fundy in Saint John. We felt that the caves and town were great opportunities for our girls to enjoy nature and a charming town, something in short supply here in Vegas! I look forward to meeting you all!

I've been reading the trip reports too and the excursion with the most 'poor' notes has been the Scenic RR excursion. I'm going to cancel that today and probably go with the HO/HO bus instead.

In case anyone is interested, here are the Bay of Fundy tides for when we are there...

Monday 2012-08-06
Time
ADT HEIGHT
(m)(ft) TIDE

03:18:00 7.86 25.78 high
09:33:00 0.79 2.60 low
15:42:00 7.76 25.47 high
21:55:00 0.98 3.23 low

Tuesday 2012-08-07
Time
ADT HEIGHT
(m)(ft) TIDE

04:03:00 7.59 24.91 high
10:16:00 1.08 3.53 low
16:26:00 7.59 24.90 high
22:41:00 1.21 3.97 low

Wednesday 2012-08-08
Time
ADT HEIGHT
(m)(ft) TIDE

04:49:00 7.31 23.98 high
11:01:00 1.38 4.53 low
17:12:00 7.4 24.27 high
23:28:00 1.44 4.73 low

Hi, where can I also find the trip reports. Thanks Michelle

From here, you go to the main DCL forums and there will be three sections. The top one is the pre-cruise meets, the middle is the TRs and the bottom is the PTRs.

Almost a month!! :woohoo:

Hi Guys,

If some one mentioned this before I apologize but being there are only 33 days till we sail I thought this would be a good idea. Has anyone thought about all of us getting together sometime during our cruise to meet, get acquainted and put a face to a name? My DW and I have done this on past Disney cruises and its been fun. Just wondering how anyone else felt about this.

Thank you and God Bless to all our troops overseas and I hope everyone has a safe and great 4th of July

Hi Guys,

If some one mentioned this before I apologize but being there are only 33 days till we sail I thought this would be a good idea. Has anyone thought about all of us getting together sometime during our cruise to meet, get acquainted and put a face to a name? My DW and I have done this on past Disney cruises and its been fun. Just wondering how anyone else felt about this.

Thank you and God Bless to all our troops overseas and I hope everyone has a safe and great 4th of July

Coach, I agree that this is an excellent idea. One idea that has seemed to work well has been to meet at 3:00 pm Sunday, shortly before the safety drill. Most have embarked by then, and not much is going on. That way we know who we are, before we actually sail. It's worked well to meet in the Promenade lounge, but that is only one suggestion . . .

Happy Independence Day to all!

Sounds good to me... being its the 4th of July tomorrow there might not be many DIS'ers on the boards until the weekend or Monday. Hopefully we'll get more responses by then.
Have a great 4th. I gotta get ready for our 30th annual 4th of July party tomorrow... please rain stay away!

I would love a meet and greet-name it, we'll be there.

Happy 4th of July to everyone and a special Happy Birthday to my sweet DD who is turning 11 tomorrow-our little firecracker :cheer2:

I would love a meet and greet-name it, we'll be there.

Happy 4th of July to everyone and a special Happy Birthday to my sweet DD who is turning 11 tomorrow-our little firecracker :cheer2:

Happy 4th to everyone and Happy Birthday, Lil' Firecracker! ;)

My children (11-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter) and I are counting the days until we set sail! I am a single, widowed mom and look forward to a vacation in which I don't have to do a lot of work!
:)

Doesn't look like the recent Navigators have anything else planned for us around 3pm, so the Promenade Lounge it is!

Who will be carrying the clipboard?!:lmao:

We finally decided on an excursion in Halifax....at least for now.

Will anyone be on the Peggy's Cove and Titantic adults-only tour?

Hi cmclaura,

My DW and I will be joining you on the Peggy's Cove / Titanic Adults only excursion. We're also doing the Photography excursion of the Bay of Fundy when we get to Saint John. I love taking photographs and I'm looking forward to getting some good ones both at Peggy's Cove and the bay of Fundy...

See ya's all at the Promenade Lounge at 3:00!

My children (11-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter) and I are counting the days until we set sail! I am a single, widowed mom and look forward to a vacation in which I don't have to do a lot of work!
:)

FWIW, I have an 8 yo DS and an 11 yo DD. The three of you will have a ball!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter