August 30th 2014, 7 night Mediterranean Cruise - Disney Magic

I'm glad someone asked about euros. Where can we get euros at the best exchange rate? Are they available on the ship? We will have US dollars.

First of all, there is nothing to worry about, you will be able to get Euros in cash on the ship.

However, their exchange rate is not the best in the world.

The best thing is to have a credit card that does not charge commission on currency differences...

Mastercard and Visa are accepted nearly everywhere
American Express and Diners a little less so
Discover? :confused3 Forget about it.

Next in convenience and good exchange rate are debit cards that you can use at ATM's in Europe. This is what the bulk of people do. There are ATMs everywhere in Europe because most people do not know what a personal checking account is... it just isn't part of the culture.

So, you will only be needing cash in ports, and you can get that from the many available ATMs, that way you are never really carrying a whole lot at one time.

And then there's me. I fly in the face of all good advice:lmao: I am the type who buys a whole bunch of currency from my local branch, at probably not the best exchange rate but still better than DCL. (Naturally, I have Euros for this trip, but you should see the dollars I get when I know I am going to the States! :cool1:

That being said.... I am planning a trip to the states next year:cheer2: So, if people don't want a ton of Euros (I am not that rich, you know:cool2:) but want to have some for tips and some small incidentals like cabs, etc, I am willing to exchange at www.xe.com rates (I take them to be officially recognized) if anyone wants. I am going to be buying dollars anyway, so if someone would find it convenient, I don't mind helping out:grouphug:

Just let me know with a PM.

How do you prepay your tips?

It's really easy. I use a travel agent, so I just send in a payment with the notation that I want to prepay tips and she takes care of it.

If you are not using a travel agent, I am fairly sure that all you need to do is call DCL and tell them. I like to pay off tips in the first payment I make after the deposit so I can forget about them.

I even have a bunch of 2 Euro coins stashed away for room service :goodvibes

Just made my final payment for this cruise and the 14 day Transatlantic immediately afterwards. Whew! Will be cruise 7 and 8 for us. Got Disney to book the air and transfers. Very reasonable!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Natalie & Melvin

Hello Natalie and Melvin! Wow 3 weeks on the Magic! :goodvibes That sounds wonderful and I am Green with Envy ::yes:: There is another person on our cruise who is also doing the transatlantic.... I can't remember if they have posted here or on the group facebook page, but I will look them up and get back to you... It might be nice for you to meet up :)

Has anyone found a decent map las spezia? Trying to see how far away the train station is from the port. Most of the guides talk about ither docking areas.

I haven't found a good map either. I did read on another blog that it is a good 20 minute walk.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/La_Spezia_-_Mappa.jpg

I found this one on line which shows you where the train station is (upper most part) and when we docked (not tendered) the port bus left us off at the lower right part of the map. It did take us 20 minutes to the train station, most of which is a steady, gradual uphill, so people with mobility issues may want to keep that in mind. Someone on our cruise ended up taking a cab for 20 or 25 Euros, which I think is a rip off, but I don't know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter