August 2021: Florida has more new Covid cases than ever before

MoreTravels

Mouseketeer
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-has-more-new-covid-cases-ever-n1275614

We are in August 2021, about half a year after the availability of vaccine. This is unbelievable.... even with the knowledge and vaccination, Florida is doing worse than March or December of last year?

I would like to return to WDW soon, but this news makes me feel uncomfortable dealing with the cast members that live in Florida. Does this also mean their local hospitals are full at capacity so if a visitor gets sick there, then likely there is no hospital to get treated?

I have a trip booked in a few weeks- rented DVC points, purchased Boo Bash tickets, and right now if I could get a refund for both I would cancel in a heartbeat. Case counts in Florida are terrifying.
I was coming on here to get a sense about what other Canadians are doing about their trips in August and September.
We still have time to decide as we are going Sept 12... but if things don't improve over the next few weeks, we are going to cancel and cut our losses.
I can't believe that Florida is so bad with cases right now considering there is a vaccine.

Last edited:
I was coming on here to get a sense about what other Canadians are doing about their trips in August and September.
We still have time to decide as we are going Sept 12... but if things don't improve over the next few weeks, we are going to cancel and cut out losses.
I can't believe that Florida is so bad with cases right now considering there is a vaccine.
We leave in less than a week. We are still going, mainly because we will forfeit DVC points if we don't use them now. However, this will be a very different trip for us. Extremely limited park time. No waiting in ride lines. We have a VIP Tour booked for the last day, so we'll do our most wanted rides then (no line waiting). We also got a Polynesian Bungalow, so we will be spending a lot of time there (we love them) -- no elevators or anything. All in all just playing it as smart as possible and doing outdoor non-park activities while avoiding standing in crowds or ride lines. So it's going to be a new kind of Disney vacation, but still amid the magic. We plan to mask almost always when there are other people around in big numbers (even outdoors).

We leave in less than a week. We are still going, mainly because we will forfeit DVC points if we don't use them now. However, this will be a very different trip for us. Extremely limited park time. No waiting in ride lines. We have a VIP Tour booked for the last day, so we'll do our most wanted rides then (no line waiting). We also got a Polynesian Bungalow, so we will be spending a lot of time there (we love them) -- no elevators or anything. All in all just playing it as smart as possible and doing outdoor non-park activities while avoiding standing in crowds or ride lines. So it's going to be a new kind of Disney vacation, but still amid the magic. We plan to mask almost always when there are other people around in big numbers (even outdoors).
We have had some discussions like this as well. Maybe spending most days at the resort... only doing the BOO BASH in the parks.
Your trip sounds like it is going to be amazing. Bungalows and VIP tour.... I would be going too. Enjoy. We have DVC points that we would lose too, but if it gets worse and work here at home makes us quarantine, it might not be worth going over the loss of points. Playing it by ear for now.

We have had some discussions like this as well. Maybe spending most days at the resort... only doing the BOO BASH in the parks.
Your trip sounds like it is going to be amazing. Bungalows and VIP tour.... I would be going too. Enjoy. We have DVC points that we would lose too, but if it gets worse and work here at home makes us quarantine, it might not be worth going over the loss of points. Playing it by ear for now.
It's a tough call for sure. We also have Boo Bash tickets for the first one. We plan to play it by ear and hang around in the back of the park away from Main Street. But if it's bad in that we don't feel good about it, we will leave.

Leaving on the 14th of August and have really been hoping for a turnaround... it is unreal!

We are both fully vaccinated and would be cautious (as we have been throughout). Risks are next to none of testing positive on the 72h test or developing serious illness... but still... We are really torn and weighing all our options. We might change coast and go to Disneyland, visit the Dominican Republic or upgrade our resort at WDW and have a low-key vacay.

We are in the same boat as many of you, we have a trip planned to Florida, not just Disney, also some beach time, in September. We want to go of course, and we are fully vaccinated, but also we don’t want to be careless. It is disheartening to see Florida doing so poorly right now. We are on the fence, I imagine we would be fine but all this crap happening does make it seem like just going may be a poor choice…. Not sure what we will do. Good luck to all, whatever you decide.

Leaving on the 14th of August and have really been hoping

Last edited:
Leaving on the 14th of August and have really been hoping for a turnaround... it is unreal!

We are both fully vaccinated and would be cautious (as we have been throughout). Risks are next to none of testing positive on the 72h test or developing serious illness... but still... We are really torn and weighing all our options. We might change coast and go to Disneyland, visit the Dominican Republic or upgrade our resort at WDW and have a low-key vacay.

I have a trip booked in a few weeks- rented DVC points, purchased Boo Bash tickets, and right now if I could get a refund for both I would cancel in a heartbeat. Case counts in Florida are terrifying.
I literally did the same thing (rented DVC and bought Boo Bash) for a few weeks from now and agree. Some people have said you can cancel BooBash tickets for a credit towards other tickets but I have not tried it and don’t want to spend 6 hours on the phone to see if it’s true. We may try it and just eat the DVC room cost if it gets worse……

Why not transfer points to RCI? You will have until 2024 to use them and there are resorts in Canada. You can do this until up to two days before they expire I think. I have an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver booked for next May, but don't think I would enjoy Florida right now with all the politics and uptick in Delta cases. I am so sad as I get nostalgic when i hear Disney music and have been playing it in my car and missing AKL, our home resort. None of my family even wants to join me next Match Break. I may go myself for a few days if things settle,down. Best of luck to anyone travelling now and i hope you have a fantastic and safe trip.

We just got back from Disney World last week. We were there for two weeks. If you're not comfortable with being around people in Florida, I would definitely postpone. We felt great feeling normal again, and thankfully were there when we didn't have to mask. Nobody was talking about covid and everyone comes and just squeezes against you in line, theatres are full, and the crowds are massive. It's just a different world than what we are used to here (in Ontario). Like I said, we loved it, but I'm sure other would not feel comfortable in that situation at all, even with mask mandate in place.

We just got back from Disney World last week. We were there for two weeks. If you're not comfortable with being around people in Florida, I would definitely postpone. We felt great feeling normal again, and thankfully were there when we didn't have to mask. Nobody was talking about covid and everyone comes and just squeezes against you in line, theatres are full, and the crowds are massive. It's just a different world than what we are used to here (in Ontario). Like I said, we loved it, but I'm sure other would not feel comfortable in that situation at all, even with mask mandate in place.

Unfortunately that is exactly why they now have record cases. And people will get very sick. Just cause you are sick of something and want it to go away doesn’t mean it has.

I have stays in October (24th/29) adults only and February (5/12) with 2 children under 12 years old who are unable yet to be vaccinated.
We are Disney regulars and miss the magic allot, but know that eventually we will get back…
So we are back on wait and see mode once again.
21683 cases yesterday with Orange county having a 19.18% positivity rate when last reported on July 27/21 - delta driven… numbers like that are hard to ignore.
I’m learning to live with postponement frustration! 🙄

DW and I leave the 15th, kids staying home with grandparents. Have boo bash on the Tuesday and staying at the swan. I've posted elsewhere that we have 3 guest experience passes (anytime fastpasses) per day and that's about all we need for rides (will sled most nights at world showcase).

Covid numbers are crazy. Govonor is not helping (I'll leave it at that...).

Booked swan on hotels.com so can cancel full refund up to the 10th, and lose one nights fee if after that.

As of now we are going. We are good in the heat and will bring not masks and wear them where we can.

Happy to be reading other people's thoughts and opinions on this.

DW and I leave the 15th, kids staying home with grandparents. Have boo bash on the Tuesday and staying at the swan. I've posted elsewhere that we have 3 guest experience passes (anytime fastpasses) per day and that's about all we need for rides (will sled most nights at world showcase).

Covid numbers are crazy. Govonor is not helping (I'll leave it at that...).

Booked swan on hotels.com so can cancel full refund up to the 10th, and lose one nights fee if after that.

As of now we are going. We are good in the heat and will bring not masks and wear them where we can.

Happy to be reading other people's thoughts and opinions on this.
We also plan to go at this time, leaving same day as you!
We are fully vaccinated and will wear masks when travelling, on transportation and indoors when at Disney.
Our friends that live in Florida said while cases are up, almost everyone hospitalized is unvaccinated.
I think that some of what is going blown up by the media... but I am also waiting another week before deciding if we’d cancel. Right now we plan on going. If I was unvaccinated I wouldn’t though.
Lucky that you have those fast passes! Wish we could get them too, would certainly help a bit. However we decided we are going mostly for the atmosphere, walk around and not stress about doing this or that, we hope to be back in December.

We have a Universal trip planned for end of August, and it’s hard to not see the numbers and become concerned. And we may cancel - but we’re not there yet. For several reasons …

Foremost is I strongly believe we need to stop focusing on infections and switch to tracking outcomes. If the vaccines work (so far, so very very good) they will protect the vulnerable from serious illnesses regardless of the behaviours of others. And the vulnerable with COVID is overwhelmingly older. Chances of a negative health outcome for someone over 80 with an infection is literally 100’s of times more likely than for someone under 30. And despite what you have read the vast majority of older Americans HAVE been vaccinated, in EVERY state. I think over 80% of those 65+ are fully vaxxed, with some states over 99%, and the lowest still close to 75%.

Who isn’t getting the shots? Well, those under 12 of course, but mostly it is younger, healthy people for whom an infection has minimal consequences. Many of these folks also were reluctant to mask up, or follow lockdown mandates, but that’s another story.

Rising case counts were to be expected, and here in Ontario it will probably be that this will also happen as well. But as long as the hospitalization rates do not follow, and in the third wave, due to vaccines and who got them, that for the most part did not happen. And has not happened yet in the States. It could - I sure hope it doesn’t - but the explosion in infections has not resulted in an identical rise in serious illnesses.

Which has been the goal all along. Turn this thing into a manageable illness, as it is never going away. Quickest way to do that, of course, is through herd immunity, preferably from EVERYONE getting vaccinated. But keep in mind infection confers immunity (for a while) as well. Eventually (look closely at the numbers in the UK - they exploded last month just before the lockdown ended, but have already plummeted, and deaths as a percentage stayed low) the virus will run out of hosts. If Florida follows the UK example in two weeks the case count could fall off a cliff.

Or not. The big worry is that the virus can ping pong amongst the healthy unvaxxed, causing little damage, but long enough to mutate into a variant that can evade the current immunities. Now, how likely is that to occur? A virus that is highly transmittable, extremely virulent, and able to avoid immunity? That‘s a long shot, but then again who would have predicted the past two years?

Having said all that we’re taking our plans day by day. Disney mandating vaccines for employees will help - any little bit will.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-has-more-new-covid-cases-ever-n1275614

We are in August 2021, about half a year after the availability of vaccine. This is unbelievable.... even with the knowledge and vaccination, Florida is doing worse than March or December of last year?

I would like to return to WDW soon, but this news makes me feel uncomfortable dealing with the cast members that live in Florida. Does this also mean their local hospitals are full at capacity so if a visitor gets sick there, then likely there is no hospital to get treated?

I think this directly correlates with the number of visitors to Florida at this time due to pent up travel demands. It shouldn't be a surprise IMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter