August 2021 Car rentals

We started off at $589 for a full-size and are now down to $262.60 for a trip that starts 8/14 thanks to Autoslash. We canceled our trip due to Delta but I'm still tracking to see how low the rate will go so I know what to expect when we reschedule (although this year is probably not a good indicator of future rentals considering all that is going on). I'm going to cancel tomorrow but hoping it goes down a few bucks more between now and then.

I’m now at a full size car for 8/22-27 for $217! I started at $375 for a standard car. I’m checking daily, multiple times a day and I feel like if it drops it’s at least around $5 a day.

We picked up our rental from hertz yesterday so we’re now out of the game for hunting for a lower price 😂

that said I thought I’d chime in on our experience.
We landed before 9 am yesterday and picked up our Florida visitor toll pass from the vending machine first. Went back to hertz and the line had just a few families waiting. The line for budget next to us was significantly longer. I tried to use the bar code to do self check in but it wasn’t working. I signed up for the gold club but my most recent booking was through Priceline so I wasn’t sure it linked. It was showing in my app though!

the wait was almost a half hour all in because they only had two agents inside and there seemed to be communication issues where they needed a translator with one family.

very pleasant not a pressuring upselling pushy experience like I’ve had in the past with various agencies. He joked with me about my six total and five cancelled reservations for the same dates. I said but did you see how much I saved!!! 😂

the car isn’t the best I’ve seen, a Hyundai Tucson (small) suv with lots of small scratches on the trunk from luggage.

this rental is for 10 days at 352.00 all in. They do put an extra $200 hold on your credit card.

Additional Note, I’d suggest checking your waze settings before you leave the airport. I had apparently set mine to avoid toll roads on a previous trip to Tampa in June when I didn’t have the toll pass so our ride fron Mco to the hotel was quite scenic and took 45 mins Oooooops lol

We picked up our rental from hertz yesterday so we’re now out of the game for hunting for a lower price 😂

that said I thought I’d chime in on our experience.
We landed before 9 am yesterday and picked up our Florida visitor toll pass from the vending machine first. Went back to hertz and the line had just a few families waiting. The line for budget next to us was significantly longer. I tried to use the bar code to do self check in but it wasn’t working. I signed up for the gold club but my most recent booking was through Priceline so I wasn’t sure it linked. It was showing in my app though!

the wait was almost a half hour all in because they only had two agents inside and there seemed to be communication issues where they needed a translator with one family.

very pleasant not a pressuring upselling pushy experience like I’ve had in the past with various agencies. He joked with me about my six total and five cancelled reservations for the same dates. I said but did you see how much I saved!!! 😂

the car isn’t the best I’ve seen, a Hyundai Tucson (small) suv with lots of small scratches on the trunk from luggage.

this rental is for 10 days at 352.00 all in. They do put an extra $200 hold on your credit card.

Additional Note, I’d suggest checking your waze settings before you leave the airport. I had apparently set mine to avoid toll roads on a previous trip to Tampa in June when I didn’t have the toll pass so our ride fron Mco to the hotel was quite scenic and took 45 mins Oooooops lol
Thank you for the heads up on the hold! Never even thought about that… I was going to use my debit which looks like a $500 hold

Last edited:

A month ago, I was certain that I was going to pay $1100 for an 8 day minivan rental. Slowly it came down a few weeks ago, and I was at $850. Finally, the last few days it has come down to an *almost* normal rate. I am sitting at $560 Budget, $676 Alamo.

My DH is insistent on booking directly with the rental agency ( eg not using AutoSlash, AAA, Priceline codes) so we can walk directly to the car. We've had to return to the terminal desk recently when using discount codes.

So, some of you may do better, but I am feeling MUCH better about these prices!! Thanks to PP for posting about getting better quotes, I almost gave up!

A month ago, I was certain that I was going to pay $1100 for an 8 day minivan rental. Slowly it came down a few weeks ago, and I was at $850. Finally, the last few days it has come down to an *almost* normal rate. I am sitting at $560 Budget, $676 Alamo.

My DH is insistent on booking directly with the rental agency ( eg not using AutoSlash, AAA, Priceline codes) so we can walk directly to the car. We've had to return to the terminal desk recently when using discount codes.

So, some of you may do better, but I am feeling MUCH better about these prices!! Thanks to PP for posting about getting better quotes, I almost gave up!
Using Priceline through an Autoslash link I've always been able to add my renters club number to rentals with Hertz, National and Budget. I was not able to through Thrifty but after conversing with Autoslash the problem was with my number. Last October I used Autoslash with Hertz and went right out to the vehicle.

I booked a full size car for 8/27-8/31 through Chase travel portal, which is basically expedia, for 194.00 prepaid at Thrifty. That is 70.00 less than I previously had through AAA (but not prepaid).

Booked Hertz through Priceline through Autoslash for Nissan Rogue for $244.63. Walked straight to garage desk. No wait. At car 3 minutes later. Ended up with an Infinity QX30 for $242.19.

Just returned from a week rental, full size 313 we paid to Alamo for a week. Interestingly, when we got there, 10 am, many cars, including a truck, picked the only Toyota. And even more interesting, the was the first time they asked as we entered the show your license and credit card, they asked for our return flight information, and since I have their app, I was warned I have 2 hours before I have to return the car flash on my phone. Neither has ever happened before.

So glad you all started using autoslash. I was shocked to see how much it cut off my rental in the beginning of the month. That site is worth it's weight in gold

So nice to see car rentals returning to semi-reasonable levels. We have 3 days/2 nights with Thrifty booked through SWA for $120.96 and I think we started around the $150+ range. I just keep stalking random sites (SWA and direct through the rental company sites) and modifying and cancelling when I see better rates. I'd love for it to be below $100 but I'll take that for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter