August 2015 Car Rental Rate Watch

have a full size through alamo for Aug. 15 thru Aug. 21 for $203.64 including all taxes, insurance and second driver. Used Alamo Insider plus BJs discount and free upgrade.

But isn't it true for most credit cards that the rental coverage they provide applies only when you decline the rental company's coverage options? The vroom vroom thing automatically adds the CDW. This could lead to an odd sort of catch-22 situation where the rental company refuses to apply the CDW due to use of ineligible discount code, and then the credit card company won't step in because you didn't decline Alamo's insurance.

Good point. I called my credit card company and didn't really get a answer. I was told I would be covered, but I don't know if the customer service rep was really sure. I also called my car insurance company and while they said I would be covered, I didn't get a warm & fuzzy feeling.

I rebooked using the Vegas Brazil, LLC code (7016427) along with the VISA code (AD2338FDF) and it came out about $10 more. It doesn't include the insurance so now I know both my credit card and auto insurance will cover.

Thanks for this info! :worship: I just reserved a mid-size SUV for 8/28 through 9/5 for $258 using these codes (however, the Vroom Vroom code is actually 299851 I read online that Alamo allows you to use a kiosk and you get to pick your car. Does anyone know if this is correct?

It's amazing on how the price goes up two weeks prior to your date. We need the SUV rental for two weeks starting on 8/15, and the price with the discount codes is $950. I still have a rate of $400 with Dollar and my last resort is $212 with FOX! :scared:

So far I have 3 reservations for 8/31-9/5:
  1. $201.17: Alamo, midsize SUV, used Costco (7014627) and Visa codes (AD2338FDF)
  2. $116.80: Alamo, compact, used Vegas Brazil (7016427) and Visa codes (AD2338FDF)
  3. $51.42: Fox, fullsize, used 5% off code (VEEE000001)
Last year, I got my Alamo rental with Costco code down to about $100, so I'm hoping I can do the same this year. Although Fox is cheaper, I like the convenience of bypassing the counter with Alamo and being able to pick out my car. I also need an additional driver, which the Costco code covers.

So far I have 3 reservations for 8/31-9/5:
  1. $201.17: Alamo, midsize SUV, used Costco (7014627) and Visa codes (AD2338FDF)
  2. $116.80: Alamo, compact, used Vegas Brazil (7016427) and Visa codes (AD2338FDF)
  3. $51.42: Fox, fullsize, used 5% off code (VEEE000001)
Last year, I got my Alamo rental with Costco code down to about $100, so I'm hoping I can do the same this year. Although Fox is cheaper, I like the convenience of bypassing the counter with Alamo and being able to pick out my car. I also need an additional driver, which the Costco code covers.
What is the Vegas Brazil code? Is it available for anybody to use?

From what I've read on Fox, spouse is considered a free additional driver. Hoping so as I have a Full size rented for $199 for 26 days in august and a van for $384 for the 26 days. Just need to decide which one to keep. We rented it through carrentalsavers.com Have never used that website or Fox before but for the price I couldn't not try it. Hoping for the best!?!
Here is the info.

"Additional drivers must meet all qualifications as the primary driver in regards to age and license requirements. Additional drivers are not permitted when using a debit card or cash as payment at the time of rental.
Charges for Additional Drivers -
USD/10.00 per day in Colorado, Florida, Nevada and Utah.
USD/8.00 per day in Arizona and Washington.
There is no charge:
(1) at California locations
(2) for the renters spouse, same-sex spouse, or domestic partner or for the companion driver of a renter with a disability who cannot operate the vehicle."

From what I've read on Fox, spouse is considered a free additional driver. Hoping so as I have a Full size rented for $199 for 26 days in august and a van for $384 for the 26 days. Just need to decide which one to keep. We rented it through carrentalsavers.com Have never used that website or Fox before but for the price I couldn't not try it. Hoping for the best!?!
Here is the info.

I have just been on Google to look at reviews on Fox as I have a booking with them for Aug 5 - 16 a minivan for $161 taxes in. A total bargain but OMG when I read the reviews I am seriously considering cancelling the booking. I found 2 favourable reviews against around 100 negative reports. These are all current reports for all the Fox locations but the complaints all talk about extra charges, hidden fees, poor service and poor quality cars. Some of the comments are also around additional drivers fees that were charged even in one case for a disabled Vet who made the booking in his name for his spouse to drive. They wouldn't switch it to her name and so charged as an additional driver even though he couldn't drive! I am very concerned about my booking and really don't think that the savings are worth the potential grief and problems.

Whilst I appreciate that some people are not as tolerant of things, or sometimes its people not reading the paperwork properly but I also believe that there is 'no smoke without fire'.

I booked an additional reservation for 8/28 through 9/5 for a full size car for $230.00 total using the Vegas Brazil and Visa codes on Alamo. Thanks for the info!!

I have so many booked. I need to start going through and deleting the higher ones. Still nothing outstanding but I'm hoping the big price drops will start soon.

have a full size through alamo for Aug. 15 thru Aug. 21 for $203.64 including all taxes, insurance and second driver. Used Alamo Insider plus BJs discount and free upgrade.
What codes did you use? I have a BJs membership- is it on their website?

Can anyone help me out. Any advice tricks welcome. I can not find a rate better then 874.00 for a minivan for August 20th-September 1st. Doesn't pay and then add 6 airfares to it. :( TIA!

Can anyone help me out. Any advice tricks welcome. I can not find a rate better then 874.00 for a minivan for August 20th-September 1st. Doesn't pay and then add 6 airfares to it. :( TIA!

I know it's frustrating at times. Everything is through the roof at this time. I notice a lot of companies have rates/specials in effect until June 30th. I'm sure some will drop after that rate. You have to play the game and keep checking everyday. Also, keep checking back here as well. Everyone is usually good at letting everyone know when the rates drop.

I booked a full size through Alamo (it was the same price as the standard so it didn't really matter) for $393 for August 19-September 2. I have been checking almost daily, and have had the price go down close to $100 since just last week (My original reservation was for $476) It's worth it if you can keep checking, although I know that I got my best price the morning of the day we left last year (2 weeks for just over $200 if I remember correctly!) It's still early, but I will keep checking!

I booked a full size through Alamo (it was the same price as the standard so it didn't really matter) for $393 for August 19-September 2. I have been checking almost daily, and have had the price go down close to $100 since just last week (My original reservation was for $476) It's worth it if you can keep checking, although I know that I got my best price the morning of the day we left last year (2 weeks for just over $200 if I remember correctly!) It's still early, but I will keep checking!
Thanks for the heads up. I just cancelled my midsize SUV for $406 for a two week rental and now have a full size for $386 which is what I wanted anyway. I'll keep checking for reductions but it is nice to see that the prices are heading in the right direction. :D

I cancelled my Fox rental after listening to all the sketchy reviews. It was a great price but wouldn't be worth the hastle if things went wrong. Particularly with an early morning departure and having to be at the airport at 5 a.m. I couldn't risk any complications.

One interesting note, it cost more for the same car for 4 fewer days from Four Points Alamo location near Universal to return in 10 days at MCO.

I pre booked a while back with Costco Aug 3-15, a mid size SUV for $387. We really could make due with a compact, but at the time, the best price was the SUV. Since then, even Costco is up to $500+ for the same time frame (for a compact, SUV is now a lot more). I'm still hoping I can cut my price by $100 before go time, but I'm not seeing much positive movement, just slight dips with Hotwire, Expedia, etc.

I've had 2 price drops over the last 2 days with Alamo. Using BJ's discount and the Visa coupon I'm down to $369 all in for a full size 8/22 through 9/5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter