• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2015 Car Rental Rate Watch

Alamo - Standard Size SUV for Aug 20 - 30 has been holding at the same price for a couple of weeks - I was hoping for some movement.

Aug 13-21. Rates via Costco for Alamo and Budget nearly match my lowest I snagged at Dollar months ago. For me at least we are moving inm the right direction

Does anyone know if Alamo offers self check-in like National?

You just go to the kiosk machine, check-in, and then go straight to the garage and pick out a car?

Does anyone know if Alamo offers self check-in like National?

You just go to the kiosk machine, check-in, and then go straight to the garage and pick out a car?
yes they do but why not take it one step better do it online from your computer and head straight to garage and car of choice.

I agree, cheapest is not always the best choice. I pretty much stay with national or Alamo.
Ditto.
We've rented from Dollar and Budget once or twice, but I find the condition of the cars at National and Alamo to be much better. Granted, the others aren't "bad", but I look forward to a "nearly new" car when we rent.

I'm still sitting at $363 through Alamo for a minivan for 10 days at the end of August/beginning of September using the Vegas Brazil code. the $30 off Visa coupon and Alamo insiders. I checked again this morning using a variety of codes and they're all higher, some just a little bit ($20 or so), but others are now over $1,000 for a minivan!

I know we all love the room a mini-van has, but if you can be flexible on what type of vehicle you rent you can save significant money. We are 5, but I'm not locking us in to renting a mini-van. I was OK scrunching us into a full size especially considering it's about $300 cheaper. And according to the site a full size is big enough for 5 people and 5 luggage.

We are also 5 and have a full size booked, national aisle service, so that could change. I'm fine with a full size. We leave in 2 days and I ended up with a total of $205 for the week. It went back up since booking it and is now over $300. I'm happy, plus I get to use national.

Does anyone know if alamo insider still includes the free second driver. I dont see it on my reservation so I called Alamo and they informed me only the costco code gives free second driver. It's not on my reservation form so I am concerned. Alamo says the Insider membership no longer includes free additional driver...

Does anyone know if alamo insider still includes the free second driver. I dont see it on my reservation so I called Alamo and they informed me only the costco code gives free second driver. It's not on my reservation form so I am concerned. Alamo says the Insider membership no longer includes free additional driver...

You pretty much have your answer there. As Alamo has said, the Insider no longer includes the free second driver.

I know we all love the room a mini-van has, but if you can be flexible on what type of vehicle you rent you can save significant money. We are 5, but I'm not locking us in to renting a mini-van. I was OK scrunching us into a full size especially considering it's about $300 cheaper. And according to the site a full size is big enough for 5 people and 5 luggage.

We're a family of 6 so we have no choice but a minivan. Last time we went with two people and had a full size. I suggest you take small suitcases or duffle bags. We were only able to get two large suitcases in the trunk of the full size and had to put a third smaller suitcase in the back seat.

yes they do but why not take it one step better do it online from your computer and head straight to garage and car of choice.

awesome. so if i check-in online, then when i get to the airport, just go straight to the garage? no need to stop by the counter or the kiosk?

Alamo rate just drop. Used Alamo Insider and Costco Contract ID to re-book a Standard SUV from 8/5 through 8/12 at San Diego Airport for $321. NICE!!!

Prior reservation was $357

awesome. so if i check-in online, then when i get to the airport, just go straight to the garage? no need to stop by the counter or the kiosk?

That was how it worked for me last January. I checked in online the day before departure and printed something called "Alamo Bypass Ticket" (or words to that effect, memory has faded). I went directly from baggage claim to the Alamo aisle for compact cars. At the exit gate, there was maybe one question about the fueling option I wanted before I was on my way. It was definitely a major improvement over my last Orlando car rental, which involved waiting in a long line several years ago at Thrifty back when they were offsite and enduring the tedious upsell for the 10 different kinds of insurance they offer.

That was how it worked for me last January. I checked in online the day before departure and printed something called "Alamo Bypass Ticket" (or words to that effect, memory has faded). I went directly from baggage claim to the Alamo aisle for compact cars. At the exit gate, there was maybe one question about the fueling option I wanted before I was on my way. It was definitely a major improvement over my last Orlando car rental, which involved waiting in a long line several years ago at Thrifty back when they were offsite and enduring the tedious upsell for the 10 different kinds of insurance they offer.

thanks for the reply. my rental last year with National in Orlando airport went fairly easy. checked in at kiosk and went to garage to pick up car.

but this sounds like it's even better.

We're a family of 6 so we have no choice but a minivan. Last time we went with two people and had a full size. I suggest you take small suitcases or duffle bags. We were only able to get two large suitcases in the trunk of the full size and had to put a third smaller suitcase in the back seat.
With 6 you are stuck. Yup, we will all take carryon luggage, thanks.

I've always been quite impressed with the trunk size in a full size car. Our suitcases are quite large, but by turning them and stacking them, we've gotten a fair amount of luggage in the truck (for up to 5 adults) of a full size at Alamo. We've had something like 2 really large suitcases (each containing clothes for 2 people), 1 medium/large, and 2 laptop/backpack/carry on sized bags. On the other hand, it can feel "tight" inside if everyone is hot, sweaty, tired, and/or cranky!!!

What I like the most about a mini-van (or SUV) is that it's easier for my DH to get in and out. He has a bad hip and drives "high" vehicles at home (full size truck and full size SUV). Getting in and out of any car is difficult. While on vacation, I don't want to make it any more difficult for him than it is at home.

On a different note, my Alamo rates for next week have dipped slightly, but are still a tad higher than what I have booked.

I'm so glad o found this site! I was able to book a minivan for 10 days at the end of August for 341. I know it's not great but I figured minivans would be way out of my budget. Alamo with vroomvroom, insiders snd visa discount. :yay:

I'm done checking! :surfweb: I finally checked in online with my first Alamo reservation which is a mid-sized SUV from August 5 - 16 for $343 which includes the additional driver (so I guess it must have been using the Costco codes). I have done all the on-line stuff now so can go directly to the garage, choose my car and get out of there! :jumping2:

I did notice that the Budget prices had gone down a bit over the last day or so but didn't have a good price for a comparable car. :car:

Last day in the office and only 4 more sleeps till we head down to the airport! :jumping1::Pinkbounc:jumping3:party:

You pretty much have your answer there. As Alamo has said, the Insider no longer includes the free second driver.
I just ran another quote....according to Alamo only Costco gives the free driver. According to my quote from BJs the free additional driver is listed on the reservation. I didnt book it because it is a lot higher than the quote I have now that doesn't include the free driver. I am at a stand still. Not sure which direction to go yet.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter