August 2014 Car Rental Deal Watch!

Carrentalsavers is even less! Is the process the same when you use them? Can you check in at the kiosk and pick your car? I'm a little hesitant since I've never used them.

I just checked again and prices dropped on Costco for Alamo since I checked this morning for economy thru fullsize for my dates.

Just a heads up.....Alamo discontinued the free additional driver for Insiders members as of June 16th, 2014.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...-alamo-insiders-effective-june-16-2014-a.html

Thanks for the heads up! I had been reading around on the transportation thread earlier so I was aware of this...thankfully, on my reservation it says Additional Driver - Included...so I'm good. Not sure if its because of my Insiders (I have been a member for many years) or because it was through Costco. At any rate, it's included :cool1: Having to pay for an additional driver would really add up!!

Check your prices! I just re-booked a standard with Alamo at $45 less. :cool1:

I just rebooked with Alamo too with the Costco code and free upgrade coupon, I ended up with a standard instead of a full size since it was cheaper and I recently learned that Alamo at MCO does not even have a standard size aisle so you get to pick from full size anyway. So down another $25 bucks to $170 for Aug 6-11

For those of you that have booked with the Costco ID..... how do they check for your membership? I always like to take care of everything so I can go straight to the garage. Is there a place when you check in and pay online to enter your member number or do you have to show a card at the garage? Or worse yet do you have to wait at the counter?

Just got a minivan $301 all-in on Priceline by bidding $19/day. 10 Day trip 8/30-9/9. Minivan rates for these dates have been through the roof using all other booking sites (other than hotwire)....in the $575-800 range.

For those of you that have booked with the Costco ID..... how do they check for your membership? I always like to take care of everything so I can go straight to the garage. Is there a place when you check in and pay online to enter your member number or do you have to show a card at the garage? Or worse yet do you have to wait at the counter?

I book online using Costco's website. Then after a little while of waiting, I goto the Alamo website. I enter the alamo confirmation # given when you book through Costco (they give you an Alamo # and a Costco #) and it allows you to do the skip the line check in online. You print out the certificate and bring it with you, allowing you to skip the counter. During the online process you can also enter your second driver info amongst the other req'd info like drivers license # etc etc.

Since I've had to change my flight into Orlando, the price of the minivan has more than doubled for us. We have 5 people going. My wife and I, my wife's stepsister, our 15yo niece, and our 6yo daughter. What is everyone's thoughts on the possibility of us downsizing to an intermediate SUV for this trip? Would there be enough room in the backseat for people to be comfortable?

We are getting. A full size for 4 adults and a car seat. I think it'll be ok.

I book online using Costco's website. Then after a little while of waiting, I goto the Alamo website. I enter the alamo confirmation # given when you book through Costco (they give you an Alamo # and a Costco #) and it allows you to do the skip the line check in online. You print out the certificate and bring it with you, allowing you to skip the counter. During the online process you can also enter your second driver info amongst the other req'd info like drivers license # etc etc.

Thanks for that info!

Do you know if additional driver has to be physically present to be listed on the rental? I'm arriving a few days before DH. Could I bring a copy of his license?

I found this online regarding the Alamo Insider 2nd Driver-this is on their website.

Members Enrolled Prior to May 12, 2014
2. Members will not incur an additional fee if the rental vehicle is driven by an "Additional Authorized Driver" as defined in the rental agreement

Thanks for that info!

Do you know if additional driver has to be physically present to be listed on the rental? I'm arriving a few days before DH. Could I bring a copy of his license?

I'd bring a copy of his drivers license. When I added my 2nd driver online while doing the pre-check thing to avoid the counter they wanted the name and address of the second driver as well as their drivers license number and its expiration date. So bring that info, or a copy of the license, and I'd imagine all should be good to add him on once there.

I was able to get a minivan Aug 28- Sept 4 on Hotwire for $207.26 which includes taxes and fees:cool1:

Oh it was through Hertz

Just got a minivan $301 all-in on Priceline by bidding $19/day. 10 Day trip 8/30-9/9. Minivan rates for these dates have been through the roof using all other booking sites (other than hotwire)....in the $575-800 range.

Which car rental place did you get? That is a great deal!!

Alamo is way down this morning for my end of Aug dates. 14 days standard is down to 356$ I booked at 330$, but this is the closest to that I've seen in a couple of months. 5 days ago it was in the 600s.

Alamo is way down this morning for my end of Aug dates. 14 days standard is down to 356$ I booked at 330$, but this is the closest to that I've seen in a couple of months. 5 days ago it was in the 600s.
Indeed rates have dropped like a rock. I am booking at the lowest rate I had 6 months ago. Now the game of checking 15 times a day begins. :rotfl2:

I'm not seeing the big drop at Alamo? Maybe because I'm in Canada (different rates)?:confused3

I did notice the premium is going for only a couple bucks more a week than economy though, but still only $2 less total than the premium booking I did a couple months back.

I guess the good thing about the car rental watch is it gives me something to do in the last couple of weeks while I wait to leave. :thumbsup2

Gillian. My rates for Alamo have gone way down and I'm in Canada. Got a compact for Aug 20-28 for $154 all-in. I used coupon code AF5365ODH (free day) and contract code 7014926 (up to 20% off). Was over $200 just a few days ago. But the best I've gotten thus far is at Dollar using the CAA code TB7160 for same car and dates. Price all-in is $144.96 USD. I'll continue to watch closely and post any further drops.

Gillian. My rates for Alamo have gone way down and I'm in Canada. Got a compact for Aug 20-28 for $154 all-in. I used coupon code AF5365ODH (free day) and contract code 7014926 (up to 20% off). Was over $200 just a few days ago. But the best I've gotten thus far is at Dollar using the CAA code TB7160 for same car and dates. Price all-in is $144.96 USD. I'll continue to watch closely and post any further drops.

Great rate for sure. I will check now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter