• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2010 Magical Trip: Getting our “socks knocked off” WDW style!! 10/10 update

Great last minute shots! I've never seen a picture of the top of Splash from a room before! Good call on breakfast, I would try to spend as much time as possible enjoying the view from the balcony! Nice shots around BLT- the bridge photo is AMAZING!

Hello, Beach Club!

Saturday 8/21: To recap....we arrived by taxi from the BLT to the Beach Club resort and were met by concierge staff memeber Brett.

DSC08352.jpg

DSC09761.jpg

DSC08355-1.jpg

We were taken to the 5th floor where we were assisted with check-in by concierge staff member Judy. After receiving our welcome packet, our GOLD room keys and a listing of all of our dining ADRs we were invited to wait until our room was ready in the lounge or explore the hotel. They advised that they would text me when our room was ready.

DSC08486.jpg

DSC08364.jpg

Before I start back on the important stuff…. I forgot to mention that WDW’s current theme is “What Will You Celebrate”. Well, initially, my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. However, now that I was without one of the celebrants I then changed the focus to my daughter’s 8th grade graduation! Em received a button that indicated she was celebrating her graduation. Cool!

We explored the lounge briefly but then decided to head to Beaches & Cream to eat lunch in the hopes that our room would then be ready.

Lounge photos:

DSC08486.jpg

DSC08476.jpg

DSC09215.jpg

DSC08463.jpg

DSC09214.jpg

DSC08484.jpg

DSC08483.jpg

DSC08482.jpg

DSC08467.jpg

DSC08464.jpg

Read here for my Beaches & Cream review

Following lunch, we still had not received a text that our room was ready so we wandered around the resort and I used my old point and shoot to capture the memories.

Eventually, I grew tired of that so we went to the club level lounge to finish waiting for the room to be ready. By 3:00 I was so bored that I thought we should maybe go to Epcot for some fun. However, shortly after that I was texted that the room was ready. The concierge folks gave me the room number. Sooo…. We walked, and we walked, and we kept walking until we could hardly walk any longer and we reached our room - # 5721. It was almost at the end of the farthest corridor. I swiped my room key and voila! The door remained locked. Em tried her card and voila! It still remained locked. Errrr…. We walked back to the concierge desk and while still trekking we encountered Kyle, one of the Cast Members who had assisted us earlier. He knew what had happened, they had assigned us a different room that was encoded on the room key.

We got new room keys and they assured me that it would not mess up our dining credits or park tickets. We walked the long walk back to the room and this time….. the key worked. Whew!

DSC08490.jpg

The room was just as I imagined. It had two Queen beds and a nice size dressing area. There was a good size closet and a chest of drawers in a little cubby near the door. The flat screen TV on the wall had a rich dark wood frame. There was a small fridge (that actually worked very good) in the dresser/console. And the best part…it had a full balcony with a small table and two chairs.

Room photos:

DSC08494.jpg

DSC08495.jpg

DSC08498.jpg

DSC08504.jpg

DSC08493.jpg

DSC08499.jpg

View from the balcony:
DSC08528.jpg

My sole annoyance with the room was the location. At first, I was super excited when I stepped out on the balcony and saw that the view was smack dab in the middle of the pool complex – overlooking the windmill. Obviously, I had paid for a water view and it certainly was a water view. But….the emcee for the pool games was annoying and droned on and on with the announcements for the silly pool activities. If you wanted to rest in your room – no chance of that since the sound system was so loud in the pool area. Also, the bright pool lights stayed on all night long. Again, an annoyance more than anything but with the location of our room they shined in the room and the black-out drapes needed to be drawn or the room would be bathed in constant light. None of this was enough to make me retreat and ask for a different room since I realized that it could be worse – I think.

Thankfully, there was a thunder storm that came along and they had to shut down the pool complex due to lightening strikes about an hour or two after we got to the room.

It wasn’t long after getting in our room that our bags arrived (I don’t remember calling for them but I’m old so I could just be forgetting.) I do remember that it was a nice lady bell person who brought our bags in and gave some good advice for the lounge. She said that since we were far from the lounge that a Cast Member would be happy to wrap up a plate of food for us to keep in our fridge. We had access to the lounge 24 hours a day – closing only for the ½ hr. or so between changes to the snack services.

I didn’t intend to use the lounge for many snacks or breakfast and for the most part we were only there in passing from the elevator to our room to grab a cold drink and occasionally a snack. However, we only made it one time for evening appetizers. Everything looked delicious and it was always stocked. The staff were constantly at our service in the lounge. I don’t see how anyone could be disappointed in this perk!

While my daughter went to the lounge to read, I unpacked our bags and relaxed. At that time, I answered a knock at the door thinking perhaps my DD left her room key. It was a Cast Member who delivered a balloon bouquet with a fine selection of Mars and Hershey candy products for Em’s graduation. That was unexpected and very thoughtful. It certainly put a smile on her face when she walked in and discovered this treat.

DSC08538.jpg

DSC08539.jpg

It had started to rain with bursts of lightening so like I mentioned earlier the pool was shut down until 20-30 min. after the lightening strike in the area. We had a dinner reservation at Coral Reef (The Seas area of Epcot) at 7:55pm. I was a bit worried about walking to dinner in the heavy rain but….we weren’t going to melt.

We left the room a little earlier than planned so that we could drop by the Marketplace and purchase some rain ponchos. They were $14.99 for two ponchos with tax.

Not realizing how close Epcot’s International Gateway is in proximity to the Beach Club, we gave ourselves more than enough time to walk the 5 minutes to the entrance. Since it was raining really hard I was carrying my shoes since I didn’t want to slip in my flip flops. When we got to the entrance the security dude said that he had some bad news for me, I would need to put my shoes on. Ok, no problem.

We made it to the restaurant 20 min. early for our 7:55 dining time and waited less than 5 minutes before we were seated.....

Read my photo laden Coral Reef Review here.

By the time we left the restaurant it had stopped raining and the fireworks show Illuminations: Reflections of Earth was ready to start. We found a spot far enough back that we couldn’t see all of the globe thingie but perfectly positioned to see the lasers and the higher fireworks. It was a pretty good show.

Following the fireworks we returned to our hotel. We still had 4 snack credits to burn so we went to the Marketplace and got a cupcake, a rice crispy treat, a coconut bar, and a fruit tart. Everything but the fruit tart eventually got eaten.

It wasn’t that late and I felt unsatisfied with not really touring a park that day. However, it was nice to have a down day and not stress over having to be anywhere in particular.

Thus concluded our 1st day at the Beach Club Resort.

Next up: DHS day

Hi Brenda!

I'm a bit behind so I had a lot to catch up on!

GF looks beautiful - glad you liked it so much and had such a great breakfast! Sum of All Thrills looks really graest - we didn't get to try that so I enjoyed seeing your report on it - looks very cool!

Wow you guys had a late night at MK!! I could never make 1am let alone 3am! :rotfl: Looks like fun though and you guys rode a lot!

Beach Club looks wonderful too! Sorry to hear your room was so far away, we had a far room too, but like you said, it probaby could be worse!

What a nice suprise - balloons and candy! How fun!

Karen

Hi Brenda- I am really loving your trip report! I enjoyed reading the update about your arrival at BC, and the beautiful photos of the lobby, your room, your beautiful (but chaotic) view and the CL lounge.

Nice that you were able to have a low-key afternoon, then end your evening with a dinner at Coral Reef followed by fireworks. Sorry about the rude people hovering around your table. They should probably remove one of middle tables at the aquarium to give people a chance to get up close to the aquarium without disturbing other diners!

:woohoo: on meeting Teena. Have I asked you if you want to contribute to the photo album of Yacht and Beach Club guests that I made for Teena (and continue to update)? If you are interested in providing 1-4 photos of you and your family, you and Emmy, with Teena, etc, respond here, and I will PM you with my e-mail address. I print the photos, and send them along with your screen name and a copy of your avatar.

Hi Brenda- I am really loving your trip report!
:woohoo: on meeting Teena. Have I asked you if you want to contribute to the photo album of Yacht and Beach Club guests that I made for Teena (and continue to update)? If you are interested in providing 1-4 photos of you and your family, you and Emmy, with Teena, etc, respond here, and I will PM you with my e-mail address. I print the photos, and send them along with your screen name and a copy of your avatar.

Thanks Dee!

YES! I would love to contribute to Teena's album... Since I'm just back online after traveling for the last week+ for work you may not see this right away so I can send you a message. Thanks for thinking to include me!

Take care,
B

Ok, I admit that I'm a slacker... I've been traveling to the East Coast on business so I'm way behind in everything in life - not just this!

I'll give a quick update with a few photos but I'll have to do a serious update later. popcorn::

Sunday August 22, 2010 – DHS Day with a little MK

I awoke around 7:30 after sleepy sooo good in the comfy bed. It was nice and quiet outside – very peaceful for sitting on the balcony and relaxing. We didn’t have any breakfast reservations this day so we could relax and go at our own pace in the morning. My own pace took me directly to the lounge for some breakfast by 8:15am. I ate on the balcony and enjoyed watching the morning routine of the life-guards.

Some Club Level stuff:
DSC08694.jpg

DSC08695.jpg

DSC08696.jpg

Some photos of the resort:
DSC08708.jpg

DSC08710.jpg

Em didn’t wake up until close to 9am. We didn’t leave the room until nearly 10am – stopping by the lounge for a quick bite to eat for Em – before heading to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. We walked to the lighthouse and waited for a boat. It was about a 15 min. wait. The heat index was definitely rising and it was going to be one hot day!

DSC08726.jpg

DSC08733.jpg

DSC08734.jpg

DHS has some of our favorite rides. Our plan was to get fast passes to whatever happened to have the longest wait time – Tower of Terror was the winner with that honor. We waited 40 min. stand-by for Rock n Roller Coaster – always entertaining for us coaster fans. We also did stand-by for the Tower of Terror – a better version compared to the California Adventure one.

DSC08748.jpg

DSC08749.jpg

We had a 12:15 ADR for 50s Prime Time Café.

DSC08792.jpg

I had booked this for the fun antics and shenanigans. We checked in a about noon and were told to wait and our name would be called which would be our actual ADR time. I really wish that they would make me wait for once!!! I didn’t have enough time to take photos of the lobby area and the kitchen before we were called to our table. We did have a Cast Member take our photo but gosh darn it – if you ask me to wait then let me w-a-i-t.

So we were seated in Cousin Carol’s kitchen and she immediately had us set the table. I love the theming of this restaurant since I’m a big fan of I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, and Leave it to Beaver.

If you want to read my 50's PT Cafe review, click here.

Up Next: Post lunch activities....

Great update on HS and review of your meal at 50's PT. OK, it is not quite 8 in the morning, but I.must.have.Boston.Creme.Cupcake!!!!

This is "fairly" new on the menu (maybe a year) and they didn't have it when I last ate at PT in 2008.

I love the pictures of ToT and the RNR entrance car and the lighthouse. They are perfect!

Where were you travelling on the East Coast?

I know what you mean about life getting in the way! Everyone seems so busy this October!!!

Thanks for the photos- I will get them to Teena soon.

Dee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter