August 20, 2005 - L.A. to Port Canaveral - Eastbound Repo Cruise - The SHIP OF FOOLS Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: kmiles!

Pam, glad you are out of bed! Have you tried the homedic handheld back/neck massagers? They are a godsend. Feel better soon all the way!

Jeanne, congrats on another wedding! So glad to hear the good news, it's been a sad week so that was great to read.

Sorry to hear about Heather's high school tragedy Denise. That is very tough to deal with as a young teen or any time. Hugs to you and she. We should all remember to continue hugging our children each day as well.

Of course Emma is a princess! princess: It is true, I think of little Addison and Haley as I see their pictures on the posts. All the little girls are princesses of course!

Paul, thanks for the slide show and glad you guys got your DIS name fixed, you are already racking in the posts! I used to LOL when I saw your name - I thought maybe you did it as a joke! :)

Janet, I can vouch that 14 year old dss our worse than 13 or 14 year old dds!!! I feel for you!

BTW Robin, I meant to write you that I loved the shoes you posted!!! (and kmiles, yours were too funny, I'd break my neck with those!) Robin, I've been in flats most of this year. We had best start practicing for the wearing of high healed shoes for August. Shall we have a high healed race on board? :rotfl2: NOT!

Donna, I'm going to try and get over to DL tomorrow! Have fun! We stay at the DL Hotel on Friday night! Rain or shine, cannot wait!

Happy hump day to everyone! Prayers and pixie dust to all our friends in need.

kmiles said:
100_2460.jpg

Oh my god!

Someone help that poor child! She's being eaten alive by a giant rat!

Amanda, I'm a firm believer of good sleep and routines for children too. It amazes me how many people let their kids stay up late in to the evening. Good for you! One of the best health benefits we can give our children and ourselves is good sleep! Now, if I can only follow this good wisdom for myself, lol!

Mom2Belle&PeterPan said:
Amanda, I'm a firm believer of good sleep and routines for children too. It amazes me how many people let their kids stay up late in to the evening. Good for you! One of the best health benefits we can give our children and ourselves is good sleep! Now, if I can only follow this good wisdom for myself, lol!

I didn't "train" her to be on a schedule till she was 10 months old......and my husband's best friend's wife made me read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, M.D.
She sent the book home with Shawn because prior to that I had slept with her EVERY night and she fell asleep in my arms for every nap. All the arguments I had used as to why I did this --he addressed in the book and I KNEW it was time for her to learn to fall asleep on her own AND in her own crib. I don't regret the way I did it the first 10 months at all though--because it worked for us (we all got sleep!!) and I was paranoid she would die of SIDS if she were down the hall alone in her crib ( I was a neurotic first time mom!). But at the 10 month point when she started crawling in her sleep and I feared she'd fall head first off onto the all-tile floor--I was so scared that I NEVER slept well. So the book was given to me when I was ready for her to be on her own...........I did his cold turkey method.........took 3 nights of me not responding to her cries and she was fine. The nap schedule took about a week to get down (she took 3 naps then)........it was harder for me to stay scheduled than it was for her. Needless to say--I had a good year of staying home a lot to keep her on a schedule. Now that she's down to the 1 nap--we have more flexibility to do things. And if we skip the nap--she goes to bed an hour earlier. Sometimes by 6pm!! (Those evenings are GLORIOUS!!!!!) :rotfl:

Regarding pins:

I think those inclined should e-mail disney and ask DCL to have available one pin per familyfor our cruise. I'm not a pin collector, but I'd sure like to have a set for my children.

Brian and I decided that we won't go crazy trying to get pins. If it works out fine, if not, then OK too. It's vacation and I don't want to spend time stressing out by waiting in lines and at the whim of their timelines. I can understand those of you who are avid pin collectors doing so, but it's just not for me.

I hope DCL changes this policy. Let's see what we can bring about by some kind requests for changes!

UPDATE ON TRACY'S MOM

Tracy called me (no, not on the Skyppy phone; on my cell phone) and asked me to post an update on her Mom.

Tracy will post details tonight, but the heart surgery went well for her Mom this morning and what they found & did was better than what it could have been. Thank God!

She is resting comfortably and Tracy, Bill & Tracy's DS Deb are at the hospital with her. As I said, Tracy will post later with the info she is comfortable sharing.

Glad it's good news!

Quick pop in here.

Denise, that is tragic. I remember when my son was a senior, one of the nicest kids in the band was killed in an accident. As far as the police could tell, he took his eyes off the road to look for something, drifted into the other lane and was hit head on by a tractor trailer. The kids do learn from these tragedies, I hope she will be ok.

All the little girls are of course princesses. Addison is just being a DIVA!

My sister has 2 sons, one 14 and one 11. Her 14 year old takes after Barbie and me, he loves to sleep, the more the better. The 11 year old can stay up till the Tonight show is over and he is up and ready to go by 7:30 the next day. He just doesn't need the sleep. Me, I did take a nap this morning, but only for about an hour. My husband hates daylight savings time. He loved it in AZ, we never changed!

Got a few more lanyard payments today, PMs will go out shortly to confirm.

Estelle, you have to add the REAS with your TA since they hold the reservation.

My mother is now the lead name on my res. Since she is a FL resident, it will pop up if the resident rates come out. I knew she would come in handy for something!

Off to finish packing for the beach break.

The one thing about parenting Amanda is that we learn as we go via many methods, and you read that book and changed for Addisons sake as well as for yourself and Shawn! I learned more about sleep habits and routine with Marissa, did not do it as well as Matt. I can understand your feelings regarding safety and SIDs too (my nephew died of SIDS, and I have had two good friends with children who died of SIDS.) I think I'm alot like you on safety worries. One thing that has helped me is reading a book called "The Power of the Praying Parent" by Stormie Omartian. There are many prayers in there, but one specifically for putting our childrens' lives in Gods hands to keep them safe. Actually, I say one that is in "The Power of the Praying Wife" for all of us to be kept safe. Somehow, it gives me peace and helps me to let go. Think these safety worries have something to do with being from a large, loving family???! Thanks for sharing! You are a terrific mom!!!

gassmandy said:
I didn't "train" her to be on a schedule till she was 10 months old......and my husband's best friend's wife made me read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, M.D.
She sent the book home with Shawn because prior to that I had slept with her EVERY night and she fell asleep in my arms for every nap. All the arguments I had used as to why I did this --he addressed in the book and I KNEW it was time for her to learn to fall asleep on her own AND in her own crib. I don't regret the way I did it the first 10 months at all though--because it worked for us (we all got sleep!!) and I was paranoid she would die of SIDS if she were down the hall alone in her crib ( I was a neurotic first time mom!). But at the 10 month point when she started crawling in her sleep and I feared she'd fall head first off onto the all-tile floor--I was so scared that I NEVER slept well. So the book was given to me when I was ready for her to be on her own...........I did his cold turkey method.........took 3 nights of me not responding to her cries and she was fine. The nap schedule took about a week to get down (she took 3 naps then)........it was harder for me to stay scheduled than it was for her. Needless to say--I had a good year of staying home a lot to keep her on a schedule. Now that she's down to the 1 nap--we have more flexibility to do things. And if we skip the nap--she goes to bed an hour earlier. Sometimes by 6pm!! (Those evenings are GLORIOUS!!!!!) :rotfl:

Thanks Nancy for letting us know. Good news!!! Prayers for continued healing for Tracy's mom. :grouphug: to you Tracy, Bill, and your sister Deb Tracy. :grouphug:

Perdita&Pongo said:
UPDATE ON TRACY'S MOM

Tracy called me (no, not on the Skyppy phone; on my cell phone) and asked me to post an update on her Mom.

Tracy will post details tonight, but the heart surgery went well for her Mom this morning and what they found & did was better than what it could have been. Thank God!

She is resting comfortably and Tracy, Bill & Tracy's DS Deb are at the hospital with her. As I said, Tracy will post later with the info she is comfortable sharing.

Glad it's good news!

Thanks for the update on Tracy's mom!!!
And thanks Barbara for the encouragement......I actually get the Dr.s book out whenever we hit a "bump" with her sleeping and it helps so much to re-read his suggestions. Plus--with age--he addresses normal sleep problems and I'm reading now that this is normal from 2-3 years due to their dev. personality and awareness of self. He says "...his 2nd and 3rd years will be a time of testing, noncooperation, resistance, and striving for independence. Your child has stronger self-agency. Sleep problems.....are related to this normally evolving stubborness or willfulness in our children."

Uh--ya think?? Fits her to a T right now!

Of course he then goes into how to curb it all immediately (and to distinguish between need vs. want, sad cry vs. protest cry, being abandoned vs. being alone). Cuz the last thing I want to do is ignore her cries when she's sick or scared (which hasn't happened yet--she's PERFECTED the fake crying!).

SORRY TO BORE EVERYONE!!! :)

Mom2Belle&PeterPan said:

Barbara - I'll happily PAY for your trip to Canada if you could teach OUR little darling to sleep! It's been an issue from the day she was born - first her days and nights were mixed up, then she was "Queen of the Catnaps" - she'd fall asleep immediately in the car, but that 10 minute siesta could replace a 1-2 hour nap at home! :rolleyes: Her pre-school required naptime; but THEY provided someone to sit beside her cot and rub her back EVERY DAY while she drifted off! :rotfl2: Not very likely she was going to bed early once she'd had the school nap, so 9:00 became "bedtime" for her.

When school-age came, we tried to move "bedtime" to 8:00. She would lay in her bed, sing, talk to her toys, etc. but NOT fall asleep! Typical "sleep" time is around 10:00 during the school year. She gets up happily at 7:00 every morning, though! :teeth: The only "issue" with sleep came from her Grade 1 teacher - Lara had covered all the material and would get bored in class. A couple of times she dozed off on her desk! :cloud9: Teacher sent a note telling me the 8:00 bedtime was appropriate, but since Lara said she stayed awake until 10:00, "could you please make sure she's sleeping earlier" :confused3 :rotfl:

These days, "bedtime" is at 9:00, still falling asleep at 10. If she goes to bed later, she still falls asleep at the same time.

She was talking about you last night, Barbara, when we were planning our DL time. "Remember when your friend thought 10:30 might be too late for ME to see Fantasmic??" She was howling with laughter! I expect she'll be one of the kids in the Lab until 11 or 12 most nights ... That's OK, though, because on our last cruise, she was asleep as soon as her hed hit the pillow!!!!!!

Now if only I could put MYSELF to bed earlier ...

Arlene

Good to hear the good news coming in :Pinkbounc

Benita is heading for another CAT scan now on her spleen (it's been bothering her). She is almost hoping at this time - they will remove it sometime next week. Being stubborn -- she won't let them do anything til next week, since we have a wedding on Friday night!

The positive side to this - is if they remove the spleen her platelet count will return to normal. Right now her counts are holding steady at 50,000 (normal is between 140,000 & 400,000) so she bruises very easily. Also if it done now - she will be fully healed before we go on the trip.

So much to read!

Pixie dust to all who need it right now. My FIL may be going back into the hospital. MIL was taking him to the cardiologist today.

Amanda: Kaleigh very much fits you 2-3 year old category. But, she has always been a good sleeper. Right now though, she uses stall tactics to put off naps and bedtime as long as possible.

I really want the pins, but I don't want to "waste" my time standing in line for them.

How much is the REAS package?

Man...I learned more today about my grandaughter's sleeping habits than I could ever care to know!! Can't wait til she's being potty trained!!!

Well, Haley is just like her father as far as sleep goes. She can go to bed at 10:00 and be up at 8 am the next day on the days I work from home. When I drop her off at my Mom's, she's up at 5:30 am, but still goes to bed around 10 pm. If I put her to bed any earlier, then she's up earlier. So she just plays or watches TV until she goes to sleep. She also doesn't have any naps during the day. If she does, then she's up even later. This is one time, I wish she was more like me since I can sleep an easy 10 hours.

Reneé

That pic of Addison really is adorable.

izzinmac said:
Man...I learned more today about my grandaughter's sleeping habits than I could ever care to know!! Can't wait til she's being potty trained!!!

The DIS, bringing families together, one nap at a time!

mickeyfan1 said:
My mother is now the lead name on my res. Since she is a FL resident, it will pop up if the resident rates come out. I knew she would come in handy for something!
I though changing the lead name on a cabin screws up the whole ressie?

Like changing the price to the current one or cancelling it out completely?

I was told even swapping the 1st & 2nd names in the lead position will mess it up?

I was reading one of those family magazines while waiting for my hair cut today. (you know the type of magazine I'm talking about, the one that is terrible for women's self esteem - one page has 'how to flatten your tummy' while the next has a chocolate cake recipe). I read children up to toddlers up to 5 years old need 10 hours a day including naps. Children 5-8 need 9 hours a night. Interesting to find it being talked about here.

Mary has been a consistent 9-10 hour a night sleeper for her entire life. Unfortunately, she responds best to an early bedtime and an early rise time. I've tried to get her to stay up until 10 and she still gets up in the morning at 6ish. Eventually, she's just whiny and easily cries. It's just not worth it to me. So, we stick to what works for her, even if it interrupts our plans. Thus, on the cruise, you'll see just one of us each night. One will be in the room with her, the other out to Party with the Fools!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter