• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 16, 2011 – 7 Night Alaska Sailing

It looks as if I will be able to attend the Day-Before Meet. It will be just myself -- DW and DD will stay with my in-laws.

I have a curiosity question about the ship deck plans. I see that public areas are in white, while crew-only areas are shaded. There are three areas that have a diagonal white-shaded pattern:

* Vista Spa & Salon
* Route 66 lounge & nightclub district
* The label for Mickey's Splash Zone

Initially I thought that this pattern designated adult-only areas -- but that wouldn't apply to the Splash Zone. Does anyone know what this designation refers to?

I know! It's great that we have some groups of DISboarder cabins close together on ship. So excited for the cruise :banana:

Also--have to brag on Mellerskidlet--she decided to try to get Algebra II done during the summer, and she has finished the coursework for the first semester, and is taking the final on Thursday. She's trying to get the whole class out of the way in time for the cruise, and I think she'll make it happen.

:lmao::rotfl: I have to laugh because I TOO just finished Algebra II on Thursday. The difference is I am 32! So GO MINI-Mellers!

Thank you and your husband for the terrific map!

I am in the middle of reading an Alaska trip report from June and really getting excited. :woohoo:

I have a curiosity question about the ship deck plans. I see that public areas are in white, while crew-only areas are shaded. There are three areas that have a diagonal white-shaded pattern:

* Vista Spa & Salon
* Route 66 lounge & nightclub district
* The label for Mickey's Splash Zone

Initially I thought that this pattern designated adult-only areas -- but that wouldn't apply to the Splash Zone. Does anyone know what this designation refers to?

OK, I have taken a close look at the maps. I don't think the hash lines under the Splash Zone means anything important. One of the maps I observed it looks like the lines are just there to mark it as a label. :confused3

It is strange however that Palo is not marked with those lines since it is certainly an adult only area.

Fish Extender List

::MickeyMo Mickey Group CLOSED

Mellers, stateroom 7631, Mellers (41), DH (44), DD (15)
Mrs. Gumdrop (Happy Birthday and Anniversary!) & (DH) V.I.N.CENT, stateroom 6102, Lauren (32) & (DH) Rich (34)
DumboFan, Stateroom 6098, Debbie, Kenny, Kate (13)
BishopFamily, Stateroom 5524, Nancy, Richard, DS(13), DD(8)
msnoble, Stateroom 6034, Maureen, Brian, Erica (age 12 (2 weeks from 13 ) and Russell (age 10)
MonicaW, Stateroom 2629, Mike and Monica (adults), Kimberly (14)
CubCatsK&D (Happy Birthday!), Stateroom 7134, Kim and Deb (adults), Cameron (12)
Aby, Stateroom 7126, Kim and Chuck (30-somethings)
Elfinjojo, Stateroom 2134, Jojo (38), Rob (39), Holly (9) Evan (7)
Juldara, Stateroom 2090, Julie, Maya (9)
Pops711 (Happy Anniversary), Stateroom 6613, Jerry, Melanie, Faith (10.5 months), Bella (10.5 months)
Imben (Happy Silver Anniversary and Happy Birthday Chrissy), Stateroom 6630, Lisa, David, Chrissy (13)
G'sMaman (Happy Anniversary), Stateroom 7620, G'sMaman, DH, DD (3)
Siburdue (Happy Anniversary), Stateroom 2588, Siburdue (Sheri Burdue), DH (Scott Echert)
Hal001's DM, Stateroom 5509, DGM, DGS (10)

pluto: Pluto Group CLOSED

Godalejr (Happy Birthday!), Stateroom 2574, Jenn (40), Jeff (39), DS (9)
Wisegal (Happy Birthday to the little guys!), Stateroom 6111, Nicole (34), DH - Dave (40), DD - Brooklyn (5), DS - Michael (4)
Kgsmith (Happy Anniversary!), Stateroom 7092, Karen (40), Stuart (39), Bennett (9)
Mrs. Gumdrop's DSIL, 6100, Melissa (30-something)
AppleGuy, Stateroom 5138, Gary and Donna (adults)
AppleGuy's Friends (Happy Anniversary!), Stateroom 5136, Lee and Sharon (adults)
Dancing Mickey's (Happy Birthday!), Stateroom 6643 and 6641, Dancing Mickey's (Karma), DH (Todd), DD (4) (Breanna) DS (10) (Brandon (Dino))
Pops711 (Happy Anniversary), Stateroom 6613, Jerry, Melanie, Faith (10.5 months), Bella (10.5 months)
MercoBear, Stateroom 5642, Gretchen, Dustin (30-Something)
Nickcapp, Stateroom 2511, Nick (30), Kristin (27), Joey (1)
Imben's Parents (Happy Golden Anniversary), Stateroom 6632, Ted, Julie
Imben's Parents' Kids, Stateroom 6145, Erin (20), Eric (18)
G'sMaman (Happy Anniversary), Stateroom 7620, G'sMaman, DH, DD (3)
Hal001, Stateroom 5508, Hal001, DH, DD (7)

pirate: Pirate Group CLOSED

ALawley, Stateroom 6148, ALawley, DH
Wisegal (Happy Birthday to the little guys!), Stateroom 6111, Nicole (34), DH - Dave (40), DD - Brooklyn (5), DS - Michael (4)

No sticky, chewy candy for Erica, Kate, Julie or Maya, and no food, please, for Mellers or G's Maman's family

And here's the Day-Before Meet List:

Mellers (5 people)
Scothen (1 person)
ALawley (10 people)
Aunursa (1 person)
Mrs. Gumdrop (2 people, maybe)

Here's the First Seating List:

Mellers
Mrs. Gumdrop
Mrs. Gumdrop's DSIL
Wisegal
CubCatsK&D
Godalejr
Inkmahm
Imben
Imben's Parents
Imben's Parents' Kids
Siburdue
Aunursa

Here's the Second Seating List

MercoBear
Appleguy
Appleguy's Friends
Dkmjgal
Kgsmith
Disneymath
Pops711
Aby
Dumbofan
Juldara
ALawley
Dancing Mickey's

Here's the night-before lodging list:

Hilton Metrotown (Burnaby)

mmouse37

FourPoints Sheraton Vancouver Airport (Richmond)

Mellers

Fairmont Vancouver Airport (Richmond)

Scothen

Times Square Suites

ALawley

Aviawest Resort

aunursa

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown

dkmjgal

Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel

Mrs. Gumdrop

The Landis Hotel

msnoble

Fairmont Waterfront

Kgsmith
Aby

Pan Pacific

Godalejr
Inkmahm
Yogibigdog
Imben
Imben's Parents
Imben's Parents' Kids

:lmao::rotfl: I have to laugh because I TOO just finished Algebra II on Thursday. The difference is I am 32! So GO MINI-Mellers!

Congratulations to you, too! :thumbsup2 It's not an easy subject

Thank you and your husband for the terrific map!

You are very welcome!

My husband also wanted me to post one more note about the day-before cruise meet. He has become a bit of a "tourist attraction" for the children of the fellow Microsofties where he works because he makes detailed origami x-style spaceships (we can't call them X-Wing Fighters--that would be wrong ;) ), and kids at the day-before cruise meet will get first choice of whatever he manages to fold there.

Also--have to brag on Mellerskidlet--she decided to try to get Algebra II done during the summer, and she has finished the coursework for the first semester, and is taking the final on Thursday. She's trying to get the whole class out of the way in time for the cruise, and I think she'll make it happen.

Not sure if I've mentioned it on this thread or not, but I'm a high school math teacher. It's usually tough enough to learn math when you have the support of a teacher and peers that you see every day; it takes a lot of willpower and determination to take up the challenge of taking a math course on your own!

Mrs. Gumdrop and Mini-Mellers ... wow, I am impressed! :) We don't follow the same curriculum in Ontario but I think your Alegebra II is similar to our university-stream Grade 12 Advanced Functions course ... not easy stuff by any stretch of the imagination!

Not sure if I've mentioned it on this thread or not, but I'm a high school math teacher. It's usually tough enough to learn math when you have the support of a teacher and peers that you see every day; it takes a lot of willpower and determination to take up the challenge of taking a math course on your own!

Mrs. Gumdrop and Mini-Mellers ... wow, I am impressed! :) We don't follow the same curriculum in Ontario but I think your Alegebra II is similar to our university-stream Grade 12 Advanced Functions course ... not easy stuff by any stretch of the imagination!

Thank you Disneymath! I was retaking this class as an adult to get caught up to the college level math for the coming Fall semester. I will admit that logarithms and radicals are still topics I struggle with, but I am happy to be done for the time being! ;)

[
Unfortunately, mine will be coming to the travel agency where I work. There was nothing in the mail today (although the person who did the mail today does have an attitude, so she may have withheld the envelopes until after I left), so I'll have to wait until Monday...:sad2:
Well apparently my thoughts on my coworker were correct. When I arrived at work this morning, 2 of the 3 (of course not mine) sets of docs were on my desk...:woohoo:

[
Well apparently my thoughts on my coworker were correct. When I arrived at work this morning, 2 of the 3 (of course not mine) sets of docs were on my desk...:woohoo:

Congrats on your document arrive, but my condolences on having to work with such an ill-tempered individual. :sick:

Our cruise docs came today as well ... by FedEx no less! (I'm guessing DCL didn't want to chance a Canada Post backlog as a result of the recent labour action.)

Ours came by Fedex as well. Nice to see that the little booklet has changed. We haven't been on a Disney cruise in a few years and the booklet is definitely more user friendly...and a lot less paper:thumbsup2

Thanks Mellers DH! Really appreciate the effort!

CubCatsK&D and G'sMaman and Mellers - we're almost neighbors!

Aby

Hello Neighbors! Thanks for the super helpful map Mellers!!

I will be the first to admit that I have a touch of OCD in me – well, maybe more than a little when it comes to packing for a trip. :rolleyes1 While we like to travel, we haven’t sailed on that many cruises (not compared to the veterans here on the boards!), but for those who are first time Disney cruisers I thought I’d share a list of things that we like to bring with us:

- power cord or extension cord (its seems the ships never have enough outlets)
- a clear, over the door shoe organizer – the bathrooms are small and there’s not a lot of counter space so it helps to have things where you can find them
- a few small disposable plastic containers (great for keeping snacks in the cooler/fridge in the room since the plates from room service don’t fit)
- ziplocks in various sizes (I’ve heard of people packing snacks for their excursions, although this is generally prohibited when you’re in a foreign country, but not sure about Alaska)
- a nightlight for the bathroom
- small flashlight
- plastic file folder – great for storing important docs and photos (on our last cruise they took a bunch of photos of our DD at daycare with her favorite princesses and it was a great way to protect them in our suitcase)
- you might consider bringing a large cup/water bottle to refill because the cups by the soda stand are pretty small (for sanitary reasons you’ll need to use the small cups to fill your water bottle)
- a bunch of small bills for room service and porters
- because we have a toddler, we bring a collapsible footstool – invaluable for letting her be self sufficient

Would love to hear what other folks have found invaluable/helpful to have on a cruise!

Thank you for the great tips for us newbies G'sMaman! I have a few of these things already -- The "packing staging area" is quickly overtaking the spare bedroom:laughing: I would not have thought of the Ziploc containers or the plastic folder. It looks like there are a few more things I'll have to pick up!

I'm hoping that I will find cruise documents in my mailbox later today. Just a few more weeks to go!:cool1:

Yeah, I'm going!!! My docs arrived today!!!! :cool1:

Thanks for the condolences. It's hard to believe an almost 60 year old has to act like a 2 year old... :rolleyes:

Yay! I picked up my cruise documents today! :cool1:

Although I'm excited to have further proof that the cruise is indeed getting closer, I was hoping for a huge booklet with tons of pages a lot more information :sad1: Of course, I don't need it since I have the DIS, but still - I was hoping for a whole evening of pouring over the info. Oh well!

I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed that their excursion times are not the same in the book that they are on the online planning center? All of mine are off by at least 15 minutes, but one is showing a 40 minute earlier start :confused3 I assume that we will get actual tickets on board, and of course I'd go by those times, but just trying to make rough plans in advance.

Aby

Thanks, disneymath! Your words of encouragement came at the perfect time--Mellerskidlet was flagging a bit. I was a special-ed teacher, but my degree's in math, so I've been helping out a bit. Algebra II is the class just previous to Precalculus in the US.

Hello all!

We recieved our documents today as well!

We actually just got off a short Carnival 4-Day Cruise up to St. John New Brunswick. (Sporting my Martin Brodeur team Canada Jersey and a cup of Tim Hortons french vanilla coffee and/or Moosehead Pale ale!)

We had a great time, but in our opinion, Carnival left more to be desired. That being said, their live lounge entertainment bested any of the short Disney cruises. Entertainment staff was ok but it lacked "the magic". The stage shows were terrible! But thats not to say the dancers and singers weren't good. Production was just lacking....

Disclaimer: We love Royal Caribbean as well, so our opinion is less bias than the run of the mill Disney Geek!

Can't wait to continue our Great White North Summer tour!

Yay--our documents arrived today too! :cheer2: :cool1:

Thanks for the list of extras to bring along G'sMaman! I wasn't able to find a clear shoe organizer in time for our last cruise but since it was only a 4 day we did alright without it. We did however have a couple of hinged clips with magnets that we could hang our lanyards for our KTTW on, and put them right on the door--that way no one could leave the room without remembering their key :) . Great idea about a couple of small containers for leftovers!

I'm about halfway through assembling the FE gifts, and then the packing staging will begin in earnest! I've decided to ship a box with the FE stuff directly to the hotel, and will then try to check it with our bags when we get to the port. If there is a way to ship directly to the Wonder in Vancouver, I haven't found it :confused3

In the stateroom if you are looking for an extra outlet pull out the TV. There is one back there.

My cruise documents came today! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter