• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 10, 2013 Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy

How should we split the FE?

• Split the FE list in half (2 groups 22 - 26 staterooms)

• Stick to the idea of a headcount (3 groups (14/15 staterroms)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you for the welcome! I am so excited I can barely stand it!

I am going to say we are in. I am looking forward to it. I will also get with my oldest daughter to come up with some fun things to give as gifts as she is my graphics/artsy kid.

Do I just give you our stateroom numbers here or do I private message you? We have two staterooms next to each other.

Thanks!
Shelley

Well I guess I can't Private message you until I reach 10 posts. I will get there!

Once I get home I just have to remember to come back to this thread so I can look up the homemade gifts as I can't view it at work. They block it.

Thank you for the welcome! I am so excited I can barely stand it!

I am going to say we are in. I am looking forward to it. I will also get with my oldest daughter to come up with some fun things to give as gifts as she is my graphics/artsy kid.

Do I just give you our stateroom numbers here or do I private message you? We have two staterooms next to each other.

Thanks!
Shelley

Well I guess I can't Private message you until I reach 10 posts. I will get there!

Once I get home I just have to remember to come back to this thread so I can look up the homemade gifts as I can't view it at work. They block it.

Disney cruises ARE exciting .... you are really gonna enjoy it! :thumbsup2

I'll put you on the lists, you'll see that FEs are so much fun.

Well, since you found out that you need 10 posts to do PMs we will just have to chat a bit here, so you can PM me your stateroom number.
There's lots of time until we need it to get the deckplan done. :thumbsup2

And don't forget to ask as many questions as you need to. We are all here to help. :goodvibes

Thanks! I have seen that we are not allowed to bring edible items onboard as an FE gift. What types of gifts have you received or given that people really enjoy? Also, I read that a lot of people bring things from their home state or city or country for that matter.

We live in Texas, what kind of things should I be thinking about bringing? We are also going to be in Florida for a week prior to our cruise, staying in a timeshare. I really want to bring portable things as we are flying to and from Florida. Although I plan to leave enough time to be able to stop and get a box and ship stuff home if I need to.

Since I have never done a cruise before, what kinds of things do you recommend when you get to the different ports? I like to have fun, but nothing to outrageous. Do you ever find yourself board on a cruise? And do people that do the FE's ever meet onboard somewhere?

Shelley

Thanks! I have seen that we are not allowed to bring edible items onboard as an FE gift. What types of gifts have you received or given that people really enjoy? Also, I read that a lot of people bring things from their home state or city or country for that matter.

We live in Texas, what kind of things should I be thinking about bringing? We are also going to be in Florida for a week prior to our cruise, staying in a timeshare. I really want to bring portable things as we are flying to and from Florida. Although I plan to leave enough time to be able to stop and get a box and ship stuff home if I need to.

Since I have never done a cruise before, what kinds of things do you recommend when you get to the different ports? I like to have fun, but nothing to outrageous. Do you ever find yourself board on a cruise? And do people that do the FE's ever meet onboard somewhere?

Shelley

Shelley,
as long as your edible items are NOT home made, but store bought and sealed in, you can bring them on board. For our February cruises we always travel with loads of Austrian chocolates. :goodvibes Unfortunately NO such thing in August, it is FAR too hot.
We enjoy each and every gift we get. That can be a nicely done picture frame or a bundle of glow sticks. (Even though I would use the glow sticks to hand out to kids on pirate night. ;))
We travel from Austria and all our gifts are lightweight and personalized and most of them have some kind of connection to our home country (can't give everything away. :lmao:)

To be honest we have yet to travel to Texas, so I have no idea what is special there, but I personally would love to see postcards or other pictures from the area. Maybe there is some special candy or something that is only available in your area (we got hard candy made from Maple Syrup once and our friends from NY brought some "airy chocolates" from their area. Just to give you an idea.

This is our first time going to the Caribbean (we have only done Bahamian cruises so far) so I personally have not been to any of the ports, but Disney offers a lot of excursions in each port. And I usually google travel tips for each port and take my own notes. I also subscribed to a thread that deals with excursions on Caribbean cruises here on the DIS.
Before our first cruise I was SO afraid I would be board and feel locked in on a cruise, but no longer. We just LOVE being on board. There are so many things to see and do. Here is a bit of advice for you - read your daily personal navigator very carefully every day - lots of things to be found to do. You can even go watch several different movies on board and there are shows every evening. There are also navigators posted here on the boards.

I am SURE there will be a group meet set up when we get closer to sail time. :thumbsup2

That is good information to know. Since I can't really see how many people are participating (like our group has 5) right now can you give me an estimate of how many people are signed up for the FE right now? I mean, it doesn't have to be an exact number, but something kind of idea. That way, when I do get home I can look. I will definitely look for some "Texas" treats to bring with us. One of the best things that I wish I could bring, but won't due to weight and the fact it would be in a glass jar would be a Texas hot sauce or salsa of some sort.

I will be thinking of things to bring. I can't wait!

Thanks again!

Shelley

That is good information to know. Since I can't really see how many people are participating (like our group has 5) right now can you give me an estimate of how many people are signed up for the FE right now? I mean, it doesn't have to be an exact number, but something kind of idea. That way, when I do get home I can look. I will definitely look for some "Texas" treats to bring with us. One of the best things that I wish I could bring, but won't due to weight and the fact it would be in a glass jar would be a Texas hot sauce or salsa of some sort.

I will be thinking of things to bring. I can't wait!

Thanks again!

Shelley

I am glad I could be of some help. :thumbsup2
I just counted the people (adults and kids) and at the moment there are 18 staterooms with 71 people in them, including you.
There is also a link at the bottom of my first post with the details.

Hot sauce and salsa sounds like something really interesting. Are there any "trial" size containers?

I was able to download the names and everything. I will see if they have some small sizes of Salsa or Hot Sauce, but I won't be carrying 60 some bottles. I might bring a few, we'll see.

I will start buying things now, with the ages of the kids in mind and things like that. I am almost close to my posting "limit" to be able to PM you. :-)

We would like to join your FE for the August 10th -17th 2013 Fantasy cruise but not having done this before not sure how to proceed. Amy(myself) and Sarah (age 9) Thanks

I had a revelation while I was getting ready for work today. I KNOW what I am going to do for the adults and kids for the Fish Extenders gifts! It is something that is pretty transportable and hopefully people will enjoy them! Now to make the list so I don't forget what I want to do!

YEAH! I am excited now, because I was kind of scared before and now it is going to be fun and easy! :cool1::yay:

Amy, don't worry, I haven't done this either and Karin has been nice enough to include me and to explain to me how this works. She will help you out as well! I can't wait for this trip!

And it really helps to look on this site for information regarding the excursions as well as information regarding the ship. If you know your stateroom there might even be information regarding your room so you know what to expect.

I have figured out some of the things I am going to start making or buying for the FE gifts! Now to making an actual Fish Extender!

Karin

I tried to PM you, not sure if you received it. Please let me know. I was trying to give you the Deck number and stateroom numbers.

Also, for the "fish" of the Fish Extender, are they already on the ship and people just hang the extenders from them? Or do you bring something to hang the extender from it?

I was able to download the names and everything. I will see if they have some small sizes of Salsa or Hot Sauce, but I won't be carrying 60 some bottles. I might bring a few, we'll see.

I will start buying things now, with the ages of the kids in mind and things like that. I am almost close to my posting "limit" to be able to PM you. :-)

Good to hear that it worked! :thumbsup2
Small size bottles might make nice stateroom gifts if you want to go that route. ;)

I had a revelation while I was getting ready for work today. I KNOW what I am going to do for the adults and kids for the Fish Extenders gifts! It is something that is pretty transportable and hopefully people will enjoy them! Now to make the list so I don't forget what I want to do!

YEAH! I am excited now, because I was kind of scared before and now it is going to be fun and easy! :cool1::yay:

Amy, don't worry, I haven't done this either and Karin has been nice enough to include me and to explain to me how this works. She will help you out as well! I can't wait for this trip!

And it really helps to look on this site for information regarding the excursions as well as information regarding the ship. If you know your stateroom there might even be information regarding your room so you know what to expect.

:woohoo: Doesn't it feel great to know what to give? I like to hear fun and easy - that's the way it should be! :thumbsup2
The site is pretty informative, this will be our 11th DCL cruise and there are still things I need to read up on! :thumbsup2

But never the less, if you have any more questions, PLEASE feel free to ask them here. :goodvibes

I have figured out some of the things I am going to start making or buying for the FE gifts! Now to making an actual Fish Extender!

Karin

I tried to PM you, not sure if you received it. Please let me know. I was trying to give you the Deck number and stateroom numbers.

Also, for the "fish" of the Fish Extender, are they already on the ship and people just hang the extenders from them? Or do you bring something to hang the extender from it?

Creating your actual "extender" will be a lot of fun too!

Shelley, I got your PM and have already updated the list in my first post! :woohoo:

Yes, the Fish (Seahorse, depending on which side of the ship you will be) are already on the ship. :goodvibes
They are fixtures next to your stateroom door, for DCL to leave you notes (like restaurant reservations, airline checking :scared1:, spa appointments). You hand your extender on it, so it "extends" the fish. :rotfl2:

DSC_0142-1.jpg

This is a photo of our stateroom door, taken during our 2011 sailings. ;)

We would like to join your FE for the August 10th -17th 2013 Fantasy cruise but not having done this before not sure how to proceed. Amy(myself) and Sarah (age 9) Thanks

:welcome:
Great to have you on board for the cruise and the FE exchange.
I am going to put you on the list (at the end in my first post!) There is also a lot of information about FE in my first post. If you still have any more questions, just post them here.
The only other thing I will need is your stateroom number, if you already know it. :goodvibes

Karin,
Thanks for adding me to the list. i do have a question though. For the fe gifts do we do a gift per stateroom or do we do a gift per person per stateroom for example since it is sarah and I participating do we do 2 gifts? I will get you my stateroom number probably tomorrow. Do you tell us what day to deliver our gift or do we decide that? I know all these questions. I am getting really excited about making my extender and gifts!

Karin,
Thanks for adding me to the list. i do have a question though. For the fe gifts do we do a gift per stateroom or do we do a gift per person per stateroom for example since it is sarah and I participating do we do 2 gifts? I will get you my stateroom number probably tomorrow. Do you tell us what day to deliver our gift or do we decide that? I know all these questions. I am getting really excited about making my extender and gifts!

Amy

It was explained to me that it is up to the "giver" if they want to do per person or per stateroom. Also that you could give one gift during the whole trip OR you could do a gift per night. It is really up to each person. I am trying to find inexpensive ideas to give each person one gift per night. It won't be something really expensive or big, but something that I think each person might like. My only "real" problem is trying to find something for the men in the cabins. Something they would appreciate, may be something they can use or at least enjoy. I have seen a few ideas though. So, I might consider them.

I hope I helped a bit.

I think we will just do 2 gifts one from Sarah and one from me but put it one bag per stateroom and just do one night. Thats about all I can handle:)

Karin my stateroom is 8563

I think we will just do 2 gifts one from Sarah and one from me but put it one bag per stateroom and just do one night. Thats about all I can handle:)

You know, I might just do the same. Basically one gift per stateroom and maybe once or twice during the cruise. I think it will just be a wait and see situation I think.

Karin,

It is up to you what kind of gift and how many gifts you want to give. This should be a fun thing to do, not something to stress about.
Whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do. Tom and I give 4 individual gifts (BEWARE ... small ones!!!!) to each cruiser. If we come up with another fun idea (have one at the back of my head ;)) we might do 5 or 6. So far we have handed them out daily, not sure if we will not do two gifts every other day this time.
I will NOT tell you when to deliver your gifts. You do it whenever it feels convenient to you. The only thing to consider is to NOT wait until the evening of the last day, as people need to pack.
Don't worry about asking questions, better to ask than worry about something. :thumbsup2

Amy

It was explained to me that it is up to the "giver" if they want to do per person or per stateroom. Also that you could give one gift during the whole trip OR you could do a gift per night. It is really up to each person. I am trying to find inexpensive ideas to give each person one gift per night. It won't be something really expensive or big, but something that I think each person might like. My only "real" problem is trying to find something for the men in the cabins. Something they would appreciate, may be something they can use or at least enjoy. I have seen a few ideas though. So, I might consider them.

I hope I helped a bit.

I am sure you will come up with something great. Gifts for teenage boys and men are the hardest. ;) :goodvibes

Yeah, you found a solution! That's just perfect!
I added your stateroom number to the list. :thumbsup2

You know, I might just do the same. Basically one gift per stateroom and maybe once or twice during the cruise. I think it will just be a wait and see situation I think.

As I said before, whatever you feel comfortable with. I guess this group will still grow so we decided to do two gifts every other night and not "exercise" every day - hey, we are on vacation. :lmao:

I have some really cute ideas that I can't wait to do.

Do you put your name on the gifts or anything that indicates who it is from? or is it a surprise? Is there a way to know where each family or stateroom is from? I was thinking about if I make or bring something that is from Texas, is that important to people? Like I said, just trying to come up with fun ideas.

Thanks!

Hey everyone!!

Exciting news! No, Nemo isn't here yet... any day now really... but I have convinced my grandparents to join us on the cruise!! :cool1: They had a GREAT time last time, they just felt like it was too short. I haven't booked their cabin yet, but as soon as I do I'll let you know the details for the FE.

YellowRose: I'm from TEXAS (!!) too! We are in DFW and I would love to get Texas themed goodies! Thankfully, I think this weekend I figured out a plan for my FE gifts! WOOHOO!

Has anyone ever reserved a cabana on Castaway? I hear that it will only hold 10 people, I would assume that the infant counts "as a person" since it counts as a person in your stateroom. Which would mean that my count is one too many. BUMMER!! Either way, it's cool, we are going to be on Castaway Cay, which is my other happy place!! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter