Aug17 "Just Back" TR (All Star Movies, MNSSHP) - Complete

Nhebron

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a very short trip to WDW (8/24 - 8/27). I don't think I can do a full blown trip report. In fact, I still have an unfinished trip report from last year! But we had a great time, and I did want to share some of the highlights.

21200880_10207803631288957_1620898726672986863_o.jpg

Some Details
  • My Crew - DH and DS (7, loves 7 Dwarves, Splash Mountain, and now Expedition Everest!)
  • Resort - All Star Movies, Toy Story Section
  • Parks - Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom
DS has been obsessed with 7 Dwarves lately, and Dopey in particular. This was a special trip so that we could attend MNSSHP and see the Dwarves, along with seeing Pandora for the first time. Despite this being our 5th trip (going five years in a row), we still found many new things to try.

Our Firsts:

• Staying in a value resort. We started out in Deluxe (AKL and Poly), moved to Moderate (CBR) and have finally landed in Value. All Star Movies was perfectly adequate for this quick stay. The room did show a lot of wear and tear, but my kiddo enjoyed the theming of the resort and we had no issues. I did miss not having a coffee pot. We did end up standing on the buses each evening coming home. Just expect that. Also, bus situation might be more challenging during busier times of the year. Lobby was neat, with a little movie theater area showing Disney films.
  • Coming in August. It was hot, but not unbearable. We had our fans and cooling towels and survived. We had one really stormy day that shutdown rides, but otherwise weather was OK. Not my preference to come during this time of the year, but I wouldn't rule out coming back in August.
  • Tusker House - I enjoyed our lunch at Tusker House. Food was yummy (I am still thinking about the strawberry cakes) and DS enjoyed the character interaction.
  • Nomad's Lounge - My new favorite chill spot in Animal Kingdom! We went twice. This was a great place to relax and wait for our Pandora FPs. The small plates are very small, but we really enjoyed the food, especially the wings and ribs. There is this drink with watermelon and tequila that is awesome as well.
  • MNSSHP - I have mixed feelings on this one because my crew was a bit grumpy. I stood in line for an hour and half for the 7 Dwarves meet and greet. I guess it was worth it but I was then worn out for the rest of the party (I am a big girl and standing in line for that long takes a toll...). I thought the parade was awesome (one of the best I have seen at Disney), but my guys aren't really into parades and shows. All the rides I did were basically walk-on. 7DMT had like 15 minute wait later in the night (after 11pm). I missed out on the special treats and photopass magic shots. Good thing I will get a second chance at the party in November!
  • Pandora - Na'vi River ride is pretty lame. FOP was cool. I was a bit nervous about fitting on the ride. It was close, but I got on! This was hard to enjoy because my son had to go potty (let us know right as we were getting ready to go into the preshow). Also the glasses don't fit little kids, so that is kind of annoying. I can't wait to go back and explore more of the Pandora area when I am not rushed.
  • DS riding all the rides, including my favorite (EE) - This was the first trip that DS rode all the headliners (Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest). He has decided Splash Mountain is his favorite. It was the first time any of us have been on Splash Mountain. DS walks around humming a song from the ride. He also loved Expedition Everest and we rode it three times. So much fun to share my favorite ride (EE) with my kiddo. Riding Splash Mountain at night with the fireworks going off was also really cool.
  • Sleeping in! - Because this is our 5th Disney trip, we did not feel compelled to do everything and even slept in one of the days. It was nice and made it feel like a vacation. The downside was trying to explain to DS that we couldn't ride certain things because we waited too late in the day and now lines were too long. I will not wait in 50 min + lines for rides. If you want to ride a bunch of rides, you have to get out earlier and do rope drop.
  • Festival of the Lion King - I really enjoyed this show but it was sensory overload for DS. He didn't like it so much. There were also some dark parts with a fire dancer that freaked him out a bit.
I think that is about it. It was a great trip!

Pics from our trip can be found here => WDW Aug 2017

Last edited:
Glad you had a nice time! I've stayed at ASM twice, also in the Toy Story section. My grandkids loved the giant characters. For as little time as we spend in the room, the values have proven to be just fine for us. Actually, we had far more bus issues at POR than ASM.

I love Tusker House, too. Definitely my favorite character buffet.

Nomad's Lounge sounds awesome! Looking forward to that and Pandora one of these days.

I glanced at your pictures and you got some really good ones. The one with the seven dwarves is frame worthy!

Sounds like a great little visit!! :love: We arrived on the 24 also :dogdance: We stayed at AS Sports.

We haven't done any character meals, but I've seen lots of good things about Tusker House. Maybe eventually if we have kids/go with nieces/nephews... :rolleyes1

EE is one of my favorites too! Love your pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter