• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aug 27, 2012 Seattle to Skagway Sailing

pixarmom said:
We'd love to join in the FE exchange! Is someone keeping a list, or do we add ourselves to the spreadsheet on page 6 of this thread?

Thanks!

I think u just add ur self that's what we did

Thanks for the feedback so far on nightlife. Does anyone else think it's amazing that many of the kids' activities go until 2am, but the adult stuff stops at midnight? What's that about??! LOL

Anyway, I am open to hearing more opinions about nightlife stuff. I guess I imagine an Alaska cruise being less festive than a Caribbean cruise, for instance, if for nothing else the fact that warm nights seem to encourage socializing later while the cold drives people to warm beds. True?

Thanks for the feedback so far on nightlife. Does anyone else think it's amazing that many of the kids' activities go until 2am, but the adult stuff stops at midnight? What's that about??! LOL

Anyway, I am open to hearing more opinions about nightlife stuff. I guess I imagine an Alaska cruise being less festive than a Caribbean cruise, for instance, if for nothing else the fact that warm nights seem to encourage socializing later while the cold drives people to warm beds. True?

If other parents are like me, they're exhausted. Yes even on vacation. ;)

I could barely stay awake waiting for ds15 to return from Vibe.

The really early port times plus the short time in port is what will make it hard for me to stay up. I have no problem rambling off the ship at 11 or noon in Mexico or the Carribean, but planning to get off before 8 am is going to be a stretch for me.

Heh, my wife and I were thinking that you did this on purpose (saw the room numbers on the FE spreadsheet). I was speculating that the five of you would all squeeze into the same cabin and the "inside" one was just because Disney makes you do it and so it would be an extra bathroom and storage area!

Well with three daughters, that extra bathroom and storage will definitely come in handy! Actually we were hoping the three girls would share the inside room but since our 5-year old still often wanders into our room during the night at home, I don't think that's gonna work. I have a hunch it'll be myself and the oldest and youngest in the inside room if we can't get an upgrade.

We are definitely "On Board" for the FE fun. We have participated many times and really enjoy meeting fun, light-hearted, like-minded people. We love this itinerary so much that we keep booking it; this will be our 3rd DCL Alaska cruise. There is so much to enjoy. See ya real soon.

Hello! My DH and I booked this cruise on our 6/7 cruise on the Dream. My birthday is August 28, so we already had this cruise in mind before we got on the ship. We can't wait!

My birthday is disembarkation day, September 3rd! I keep forgetting about it because I have been so focused on making sure hubby has a good time. Ha!

We rented a car, but the rental car was proving tricky... if we returned the rental car to the airport the day of the cruise, we'd then need to find shuttle or taxi service from the airport to pier 91....

I am just re-reading this thread now that I have done a lot more research about the cruise, and cruising in general, and want to read it again with fresh eyes. So sorry if I pop up and chatter a bunch all of a sudden while I re-process all that everyone has said here.

FOR PEOPLE RENTING A CAR IN SEATTLE--ADVICE FROM A LIFETIME SEATTLITE:
I would personally recommend renting a car downtown, rather than at the airport. The airport is 30+ minutes away from downtown (depending on traffic), and it isn't super practical to be downtown at your hotel, then drive back south to the airport to drop off your car, then take a shuttle back to the ship--embarkation day being the one day you are probably on the tightest schedule, with packing, checking out, wrangling bags (then returning a car, re-wrangling bags, taking a shuttle, re-wrangling bags at the terminal, etc). I would recommend you take a shuttle (your hotel may offer a free one) or the light rail or a taxi into downtown from the airport, then get your car rental downtown. That way your return is downtown as well. (That is, if you need a rental car at all**! See below)

Enterprise rentals will pick you up and drop you off within a reasonable radius, so you could return your car downtown and then they can drive you to the pier. I am sure other rental companies have their own shuttles and versions of this service they can offer.

**Ultimately, you may not NEED a car. Seattle has SO MUCH to offer in a small area--the city really isn't that large, but it is packed with awesomeness. Hubby and I recently did a "staycation-esque" trip where we spent a long weekend in a hotel downtown (this is about 10 minutes from our home). We parked our car in the hotel garage for the entire time and went to a show, took a food tour at the market (Pike Place Market really is awesome, even to us locals), went out to dinner at some restaurants we had always wanted to try, went shopping at boutiques, went to the Seattle Center (we adore the Science Center--a must see if you're geeks like us ;). We spent an afternoon on the waterfront, where you could do more shopping, go to the aquarium, take a harbor tour (if you desire more boat time in your life), take the Duck tour, go on the Underground Seattle tour (another one I always highly recommend), go to the art museum, go to the EMP/Science Fiction Museum, ride the monorail, hit the arcade at Gameworks...the list goes on.

And ALL these things are in walking distance or a cheap and easy bus trip away from downtown hotels. A car really is a needless expense unless you have plans further away.

Anyway, wanted to throw that out there. I am going to drop this info in the official Seattle Port thread as well, as I think it might be of interest to folks coming into town.

And if you need any further advice or ideas from a local, I am....wait for it...ALL EARS!

Thanks for the input Clotho!!! :goodvibes

We had considered what you mentioned about the rental car, but we are coming in on Thursday and staying in Puyallup before the trip (family there). Originally we were going to stay with them and then have them drive us around, but previous experiences of staying with family made us realize we needed to get a hotel and rent a car. :rotfl2: We pretty much had to get it from the airport unfortunately, since in the midst of planning DH's brother's wife was transferred to Ft. Sam Houston in Texas, so his 18-yr-old sister was our only way around and she works. We are only going into the city one day, and the other days going to Mt. Ranier and Olympic National Park. We got a great rate from Budget ($127 from Thurs- Mon), and with the exception of the PIA of the morning shuttle swap (we are staying at Holiday Inn Seatac after the cruise and they had the free cruise shuttle and free airport shuttle), it worked for us. But if we were staying in Seattle we would have definitely reconsidered renting a car! Most of what we want to do in the city is in that area of Pike Place Market (with the exception of the Fisherman's Terminal- hubby is excited to get a possible glimpse of the crab boats).

Something you can answer for me though (and I'll probably have more Q's) is what would you recommend for parking? I was a little shocked to see the prices for parking at Pike Place Market. I'm used to paying $1 for an hour at the beach in the city, so I was a little shell shocked at seeing $9 for 2-3 hours at their parking lot! Is there someplace that we could walk from that would be more convenient (and most importantly... CHEAPER!).

On a last note, I had always taken for granted living here. We live about an hour and a half from Port Canaveral, and we think nothing of the planning of the cruise besides the cruise itself. We just get up and drive out there the day of the cruise. But this experience has made me really appreciate what everyone goes through to go on cruises out of Port Canaveral (and going to WDW). We booked this cruise September 13, 2011 and I've been planning ever since! And it's still not done... lol.

jadedjojo said:
Thanks for the input Clotho!!! :goodvibes

Something you can answer for me though (and I'll probably have more Q's) is what would you recommend for parking? I was a little shocked to see the prices for parking at Pike Place Market. I'm used to paying $1 for an hour at the beach in the city, so I was a little shell shocked at seeing $9 for 2-3 hours at their parking lot! Is there someplace that we could walk from that would be more convenient (and most importantly... CHEAPER!).

On a last note, I had always taken for granted living here. We live about an hour and a half from Port Canaveral, and we think nothing of the planning of the cruise besides the cruise itself. We just get up and drive out there the day of the cruise. But this experience has made me really appreciate what everyone goes through to go on cruises out of Port Canaveral (and going to WDW). We booked this cruise September 13, 2011 and I've been planning ever since! And it's still not done... lol.

I totally get it. Puyallup is NOT close to Seattle so you need that car!

As for parking, there are many many small lots dotted around the area. It is still more spendy maybe than you are used to, but you can do better than that price if you are willing to circle for a bit. You can also park at meters if you will be two hours or less. Sadly Seattle has taken many steps backward in making parking accessible downtown in recent years. If you will be in and around Seattle all day, it may be worth it to park south or north of town and take a bus in. It is cheaper outside the tourist center and city core.

And yes, your comment about all that goes into the planning for another cruise in another town...this is why we have never done it before! The cost, the hassle! But perhaps it will seem worth it I'd this cruise bites us with its delicious addictive venom. Haha! I have no desire to live in your neck of the woods (I adore my city to pieces), but that is one major upside you have there!! Have you ever been to Seattle before?

I totally get it. Puyallup is NOT close to Seattle so you need that car!

As for parking, there are many many small lots dotted around the area. It is still more spendy maybe than you are used to, but you can do better than that price if you are willing to circle for a bit. You can also park at meters if you will be two hours or less. Sadly Seattle has taken many steps backward in making parking accessible downtown in recent years. If you will be in and around Seattle all day, it may be worth it to park south or north of town and take a bus in. It is cheaper outside the tourist center and city core.

And yes, your comment about all that goes into the planning for another cruise in another town...this is why we have never done it before! The cost, the hassle! But perhaps it will seem worth it I'd this cruise bites us with its delicious addictive venom. Haha! I have no desire to live in your neck of the woods (I adore my city to pieces), but that is one major upside you have there!! Have you ever been to Seattle before?

Thanks again for the info!! This trip has gotten a little on the $$$$ side, so we are trying to save money where we can. We got great deals on everything so far, so I cannot complain! It's just that all of it together is a little on the shocking side. :sad1: We are over double what we typically pay for a B2B or 7-day DCL out of Port Canaveral, but this experience is very special! Everyone I know here is jealous... Seattle AND Alaska! :cheer2:

We have never been to Seattle- and neither one of us has been west of the Mississippi River. We have seen most of the Eastern US though (and a lot of the Caribbean of course! Thanks Mickey! :flower3:). DH and I LOVE to travel, and we want to see every nook and cranny of the US! You have every right to love your city. I have heard only wonderful things about Washington, and I always see Seattle on the top ten lists on Yahoo. We are looking forward to the complete change of scenery. DH and I visited his mom and family when they were stationed at West Point in NY, and we were just stunned by NYC and the NY countryside. Not what we are used to in flat(ish), HOT HOT HOT Florida! I love seeing new things, and I think the Seattle/ Alaska combo is about as far as we can get when it comes to change of scenery!! Looking forward to it!!

Your enthusiasms simply infectious! I hope you enjoy Seattle! And I hope we meet up in a meetup on the cruise!

If other parents are like me, they're exhausted. Yes even on vacation. ;)

I could barely stay awake waiting for ds15 to return from Vibe.

I'm with you! Our three boys (four, if you count my husband) go non-stop all the time and especially on vacation. Our older boys (ages 12 and 13 on the cruise) were up super late in the Edge last summer on the Dream. Really hard to stay up waiting for them. Our 5-year-old will crash by 10pm, so at least one of us needs to be back in the room with him. But we're early birds, so I'm guessing you'll see us at BBB when it opens each day!

Maybe the Rain boots are a bit much, can you tell we are from Calfornia and have no need for anything beyond flip flops and sneakers...Ill have to see about waterproof boots.

btw my favorite thing to eat on the Disney Cruise...the Osso Bucco @ Palo and the hash browns at breakfast.

I'm bringing my rain boots as an alternative to my uggs (my feet get cold easily, but I'm worried the uggs will be overdoing it.) But no rainboots for my husband or the boys - they refuse.

So I saw you're from Orange County - yay! I've been going to Newport Beach since childhood and we return at least once every year (long family history.) I'm originally from the Bay area, then D.C., and now a too-cold climate in the midwest. Happy to share any cold weather tips as a former Californian! :)

We are also debating on whether to pack rain boots or Uggs. I still have so much shopping to do for this trip! My girls are both in the middle of growth spurts so I will probably have to buy new jeans, fleece etc right before we leave for Seattle.

We are also debating on whether to pack rain boots or Uggs. I still have so much shopping to do for this trip! My girls are both in the middle of growth spurts so I will probably have to buy new jeans, fleece etc right before we leave for Seattle.

No boots for us (they are taking up too much room in the luggage). I bought a can of waterproof spray at the hardwear store and plan on waterproofing a pair of sneakers for each of us. We were not planning on doing any hiking so I thought this was a good option.

I'm bringing my rain boots as an alternative to my uggs (my feet get cold easily, but I'm worried the uggs will be overdoing it.) But no rainboots for my husband or the boys - they refuse.

So I saw you're from Orange County - yay! I've been going to Newport Beach since childhood and we return at least once every year (long family history.) I'm originally from the Bay area, then D.C., and now a too-cold climate in the midwest. Happy to share any cold weather tips as a former Californian! :)

Hi! Yes its pretty warm here, not as warm as the midwest this summer...but I prefer the cold. I figure since we wear Uggs in Orange County, we can handle them in Alaska :)

I am thinking we will just layer and probably end up doing laundry on the ship...the last 7 day cruise we just drove up to the port in L.A., this is going to take more strategic planning on my part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter