~ Aug 2013~ Sew what... We've gotta find a way back! Part I!!

I love my Nikon, I'm sure she will love hers too. Back in August dh got me the Nikon 3100 for our Anniversary. We had heard that it's the easiest Nikon to use. It's a great "starter" camera.

I recommend getting extra lens caps. I lost mine the first day of Celebration VI. Last week, dh also bought me a lens cover to protect my lens.

I got two lens' when he got me the camera. One is up to 55mm, the other is a 50-200mm.

Good Morning D~!!! I have been gone so long!!!! I miss my Disfriends! It was tough to drag myself back into work today after basically two weeks off, but I sure is nice to get back on the Dis!

Love the pictures Alli took! Ya'll are just too cute with your bright smiles and twinkly eyes...very photogenic! :cutie:

I will be so happy for you and the girls if you get to go on an extended trip in August...but sad because you will beat me to the magic! :wizard: :rotfl2:

BTW~ have you heard Liddy's news???

Ok D what book series are you reading? I AMA huge reader and always looking for a new one!

So sorry your friends daughter was so rude! "Kids"!!! I've always felt every family is dysfunctional just some family's way more so than others!
Emily loves her Remy bag and we will be sure to take pictures of all three of our "D" bags on our trip in early March!
Your trip plans in August sound wonderful! I can't wait to eat in BOG in March! I'm a little unsure of the menu but am sure I will find plenty to eat.
Ally's pictures are beautiful!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Because I know you like to crunch numbers, and I am sure you like to be "in the know"...there is a rumor that there will be no FD for values and the Mods and Deluxes will only be offered QSDP for free this fall...you can read about it here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039016

My opinion is that even with the FQS, it will still be a savings to only pay for an updrade as opposed to having to pay for the DDP outright...

since I haven't had dinner there yet I only know that lunch is walk-up no ressies / ADRs
YET who knows if this will change but now its first come first served official line up time is 10:30 through 2 pm

Don't remember dinner selections but last I checked ( Nov ? )
dinner had no open ADRs through March ! sure if you check disney website allears mousesvers etc or here on Dis can find menu prices etc

Beating the heat or how not to pass out besdes the obvious go slow take breaks stsy hydrated use high index sunscreen and leave those dark colored t-shirts home

As an outside worker last summer I struggled a few days then I learned alot just drinking water won't replenish your body you perspire you need to replace what you are losing I bought & consumed cases of Gatorade Performance G series it also comes in infividual packet powder form

Bananas also for potassium V-8 juice those mister fan bottles help too but good grief not paying $20. for one at WDW when can get one anywhere outside the world for a few dollars

Another thing about October is that you need to plan around MNSSHP. There seems to be only one day of the week that they run Wishes and the night time parade that is not a party night. We don't get park hoppers because I am too cheap but we make it work, just have to do a bit more planning.

When we got the QSDDP for "free" in the past we were able to upgrade to the regular DDP for the cost difference. Of course who knows what the future deals will be.

Of course I'm selfish, but I want you to go in October :rotfl:

That said, August will easily work out for you.

Of course, this is coming from someone who went tent camping in 105 degree temperatures with a three-year-old. Just drink plenty of water.

Our next trip after this October probably won't be until sometime in 2019 or 2020 (when my next grandchild turns five...needless to say, that's going to be a while). But I have a feeling, that may be a summertime trip.

For me, the only down side to August would be the heat... but I think I have it planned enough that we will be doing some fun things that we've never done (water parks and more DTD), and also a couple of days "off"... And there's no reason why we can't sneak into a park for a dole whip on our day off - right. :rolleyes1

I think she might??? One of our next door neighbors received a camera for Christmas too... And I am hoping that maybe I can talk her into doing a photoshoot with the girls and I, because it has been my desire for many years to have some candid shots done of the girls and I together. We have such a unique relationship - I would love to capture that. :lovestruc

I have not seen this thread. I will go read it after. I guess I would take QSDP if that's all that is offered... BUt I would still need to pay OOP for a few sit down meals - which wouldn't make it much of a savings.... I did acutally do those figures yesterday (but I didn't write them down), because a lot of meals I have on the schedule right now, are not must dos for us, they are just filling in because we have them to use.

I wonder, if they offer Free QSDP, if you can upgrade to DDP for a cost?

D~
I find in the heat I need to be sure I don't let myself get too hot. I know I need to keep a list in my head of places I can go to cool off and alternate those in before I get too hot. Like Philjarmagic and COP at MK, Great Movie Ride at DHS, Bugs Life at AK and tons of places at Epcot.

Did you know you can get a Dole Whip at the CS restaurant at the Poly?:thumbsup2

I'm sure your neighbor would love to take photos of the 3 of you and I'm sure they'd be very special.

Like some one already mentioned you should have a daylight filter on every lens to protect it. Ali might want to experiment with some other filters too like a polarizing filter.

In the past they have allowed folks to upgrade. It would be about $18 per person per day.

I love my Nikon, I'm sure she will love hers too. Back in August dh got me the Nikon 3100 for our Anniversary. We had heard that it's the easiest Nikon to use. It's a great "starter" camera.

I recommend getting extra lens caps. I lost mine the first day of Celebration VI. Last week, dh also bought me a lens cover to protect my lens.

I got two lens' when he got me the camera. One is up to 55mm, the other is a 50-200mm.

Yes a lens over is the first thing you should get! Never use the camera without a lens cover ( I recommend the uv filter one) if your lens is scratched, you are screwed. If you scratch the cover, just replace! I've had to on my Nikon d90 more than once! And I loose lens caps easily. I recommend the lens cap safety strap.

Thank you... I will be sure to tell her. :thumbsup2

She just got some really important followers on Instagram this morning, and she is super excited about it.

I can't wait to see those pictures either - LOL - but Josh decided to postpone until this weekend when it's warmer. Can't say I blame him - it's been frozen here the last few days.

I agree... We LOVE October too - we have been there twice for MNSSHP and F&W... Our best ever family vacation was in October too... So, we just love going at that time.

But I also agree... MORE days and no school missed is HUGE... Very huge. The girls are in the same boat, for the most part, Alli has no desire to miss school - V dislikes school a lot, so she would rather miss (and it would be like pulling teeth to get her to do her make-up work)... I just don't want to deal with that at all.

For me, the only down side to August would be the heat... but I think I have it planned enough that we will be doing some fun things that we've never done (water parks and more DTD), and also a couple of days "off"... And there's no reason why we can't sneak into a park for a dole whip on our day off - right. :rolleyes1

I think she might??? One of our next door neighbors received a camera for Christmas too... And I am hoping that maybe I can talk her into doing a photoshoot with the girls and I, because it has been my desire for many years to have some candid shots done of the girls and I together. We have such a unique relationship - I would love to capture that. :lovestruc

I have not seen this thread. I will go read it after. I guess I would take QSDP if that's all that is offered... BUt I would still need to pay OOP for a few sit down meals - which wouldn't make it much of a savings.... I did acutally do those figures yesterday (but I didn't write them down), because a lot of meals I have on the schedule right now, are not must dos for us, they are just filling in because we have them to use.

I wonder, if they offer Free QSDP, if you can upgrade to DDP for a cost?

Thank you. :) We enjoyed our "Off day" last year - which turned out to be not a day off at all. :confused3 LOL HOpefully, this time it will work out better for us?

D~

I would think you can upgrade for a cost. When we went aug 2011 we got free dining but it was only quick service because we were staying at a value and we upgraded to the reg dining plan

The 3100 was the other one we were looking at, that is a very good camera too. What a wonderful anniversary gift!

I will look into the extra lens caps too...

Yah - I did think about getting her another lens as the initial gift, but I just couldn't put any more $$ into it... As it was, we had a hard time making it even between the girls. And I didn't want to overwhelm her rigth away either. LOL Hopefully for her birthday, we can get her a new lens. :thumbsup2

Good Morning D~!!! I have been gone so long!!!! I miss my Disfriends! It was tough to drag myself back into work today after basically two weeks off, but I sure is nice to get back on the Dis!

Love the pictures Alli took! Ya'll are just too cute with your bright smiles and twinkly eyes...very photogenic! :cutie:

I will be so happy for you and the girls if you get to go on an extended trip in August...but sad because you will beat me to the magic! :wizard: :rotfl2:

BTW~ have you heard Liddy's news???

Nice to see you back at work and back on The Dis!

Thanks... The pictures were fun to do.

I know... I feel so badly about Oct, but is has been nagging me for months (you all know that), and I kind of feel like it stalled my trip planning because I just couldn't get past the missing school part. Hopefully I can get back to my planning now.

I did hear Liddy's news - I am so excited for her!

Ok D what book series are you reading? I AMA huge reader and always looking for a new one!

So sorry your friends daughter was so rude! "Kids"!!! I've always felt every family is dysfunctional just some family's way more so than others!
Emily loves her Remy bag and we will be sure to take pictures of all three of our "D" bags on our trip in early March!
Your trip plans in August sound wonderful! I can't wait to eat in BOG in March! I'm a little unsure of the menu but am sure I will find plenty to eat.
Ally's pictures are beautiful!

Happy New Year to everyone!

Oh wow... You are going to make me go look up the book now... The House At Riverton by Kate Morton. I was wrong, it's not a series, it is historical fiction though. But I do intend to read her other 2 books. When I find an author I like, I tend to read everything by them.

I agree... Everyone has some sort of disfunction. LOL

So glad emily loves her Remy bag! And I cannot wait to see that pictures of all of you wearing your bags in March! I think that is the first time that 3 of my bags will be in one picture. :lovestruc

Can't wait to hear your BoG review!

And thank you for your compliments on Alli's pictures.

Because I know you like to crunch numbers, and I am sure you like to be "in the know"...there is a rumor that there will be no FD for values and the Mods and Deluxes will only be offered QSDP for free this fall...you can read about it here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3039016

My opinion is that even with the FQS, it will still be a savings to only pay for an updrade as opposed to having to pay for the DDP outright...

Grrr... Yep, I did see this. So, yes, I spent the majority of yesterday morning crunching #s. As it works out, for us, free QSDP will cost us about $300 more than DDP... And we will probably end up with a few wasted QSDP meals. When we went last time, we had a few OOP meals and then the tips we had to cover, which was about $300... So, factoring that there will be no meals we would have to pay for OOP this time, except for our TS meals... I have determined that Free QSDP is way better than nothing and still a good savings for us. I am still hoping for FD, but if it ends up only being Free QSDP, it won't be the worst thing.

And, I appreciate the heads up! I have everything worked out... I plan to make ADRs as if we have FD, and if I have to drop some of them, I will.

since I haven't had dinner there yet I only know that lunch is walk-up no ressies / ADRs
YET who knows if this will change but now its first come first served official line up time is 10:30 through 2 pm

Don't remember dinner selections but last I checked ( Nov ? )
dinner had no open ADRs through March ! sure if you check disney website allears mousesvers etc or here on Dis can find menu prices etc

Beating the heat or how not to pass out besdes the obvious go slow take breaks stsy hydrated use high index sunscreen and leave those dark colored t-shirts home

As an outside worker last summer I struggled a few days then I learned alot just drinking water won't replenish your body you perspire you need to replace what you are losing I bought & consumed cases of Gatorade Performance G series it also comes in infividual packet powder form

Bananas also for potassium V-8 juice those mister fan bottles help too but good grief not paying $20. for one at WDW when can get one anywhere outside the world for a few dollars

Thanks for the BoG info Ruthie! :lovestruc

Excellent idea about the Gatorade... As a rule, that is something that I have never let the girls drink - but I think in the FL heat, I may have to have some delivered to our room. I will also watch fo the mister fans to bring with.

Another thing about October is that you need to plan around MNSSHP. There seems to be only one day of the week that they run Wishes and the night time parade that is not a party night. We don't get park hoppers because I am too cheap but we make it work, just have to do a bit more planning.

When we got the QSDDP for "free" in the past we were able to upgrade to the regular DDP for the cost difference. Of course who knows what the future deals will be.

Not only plan around MNSSHP, but plan it into our schedule - which was proving difficult, as well. I was just really having a very hard time planning everything for October.

I am hoping to be able to upgrade, that would be sooooo wonderful! The upgrade would cost us almost identical to what we would pay OOP for TS meals, however - we would get 6 more meals... A definate savings. I hope that they allow the upgrade.

Of course I'm selfish, but I want you to go in October :rotfl:

That said, August will easily work out for you.

Of course, this is coming from someone who went tent camping in 105 degree temperatures with a three-year-old. Just drink plenty of water.

Our next trip after this October probably won't be until sometime in 2019 or 2020 (when my next grandchild turns five...needless to say, that's going to be a while). But I have a feeling, that may be a summertime trip.

LOL... I wish we could go in Oct... The more I try to work it out, the more is seems to not work for us. And I am so sad, because there are so many Disers I would love to meet.

Can't believe you went tent camping in that heat - I would melt, I am sure. LOL

That is a long time in between trips - I cannot imagine!

I find in the heat I need to be sure I don't let myself get too hot. I know I need to keep a list in my head of places I can go to cool off and alternate those in before I get too hot. Like Philjarmagic and COP at MK, Great Movie Ride at DHS, Bugs Life at AK and tons of places at Epcot.

Did you know you can get a Dole Whip at the CS restaurant at the Poly?:thumbsup2

I'm sure your neighbor would love to take photos of the 3 of you and I'm sure they'd be very special.

Like some one already mentioned you should have a daylight filter on every lens to protect it. Ali might want to experiment with some other filters too like a polarizing filter.

In the past they have allowed folks to upgrade. It would be about $18 per person per day.

Great list of places, I will have to keep that in mind when we are down there.

I'd forgotten about the Dole Whip at the Poly... Thanks for that reminder!

I hope my neighbor will take the photos - I have yet to ask her. LOL

I am not sure about the lens filter, I looked at them online this morning, but I have no idea which one to buy to fit Alli's lens??? It looks like the 58mm & the 52mm are the most popular, but I am not sure... I will have to do more research.

I am praying for the DDP upgrade to be allowed... It wouldn't save us any $$, but we would get about 6 more TS meals out of the deal, and less wasted CS meals.

Yes a lens over is the first thing you should get! Never use the camera without a lens cover ( I recommend the uv filter one) if your lens is scratched, you are screwed. If you scratch the cover, just replace! I've had to on my Nikon d90 more than once! And I loose lens caps easily. I recommend the lens cap safety strap.

She does have a lens cover, just not a filter. And I am not sure which size to get for her. See above relpy. :)

I would think you can upgrade for a cost. When we went aug 2011 we got free dining but it was only quick service because we were staying at a value and we upgraded to the reg dining plan

I really hope this is allowed!

So, as you all know, I've been crunching #s for days now... I finally transferred $$ out of my Paypal yesterday so that I can book our trip in the coming week.

I plan to book as a package, and I am praying for some sort of discount. I cannot book airfare though until the discounts are released, because if I need to move my trip by a few days, I will need to do that. Hopefully, they will release the dates with enough time for this.

I love Disney trip planning, I hate the timing and how nerve racking it is though.

I am quite confident, with the bags I have booked so far, I shouldn't have a problem paying for this trip at all. It might get a little sketchy when it comes to airfare... I want to try to have that $$ set aside, so that when fares drop, I can pounce.

Well, I work at Target today, so no sewing room for me... I plan to be in there all day tomorrow though, and whatever I don't get done tomorrow will have to be done this weekend.

I hope you have a wonderful day everyone! :)

D~

If Alli has the 18-55 kit lens she needs a 52mm filter. It should also be right on the edge of the lens.

I've had really good experiences with both Bhphoto.com where I bought my Nikon and adorama.com.

Yes I meant a filter, the uv filter is the most basic. There are polarizing filters as well but that's for more advanced. For the lens filter, just check the box the lens came in. On the box it will tell you what size to get. If you aren't sure just call up a photography store. Or go to bet buy they'll be able to tell you. But loves dumbo is right, it should be the 52mm assuming her lens is 18-55 which is usally the standard lens for Nikon bundles and starter packs.
For extra lens I would recommend the 50mm 1.8 it is excellent for portraits and relatively inexpensive. $140 here. My d90 came with an 18-105 lens. I then upgraded for an 18-200 vr2 lens. It is awesome but very $$$$$$$$$$$. They have a cheap 18-200 but I highly recommend the vr2

D, can you transfer $ from your PayPal account to your bank account? I've only used PayPal to pay others but I am thinking of offering t as an option for my crops.

Yes Erin, I have my paypal connected to my bank acct, so I can transfer money back and forth between them. It usually only takes 2 business days to complete the transfer. :)

D~

You are probably aware that Disney released a discount of up to 30% depending on the resort. I calculated what our savings would be (25%) at the POFQ for 2 of us with DDP and park hopper tickets and calculated a savings of about $750 for 8 days. We aren't going until Sept, but I thought it was a decent savings and would probably make up for not getting free dining. I'm still hoping for some type of discount and as soon as they announce one for the time I want to go, I plan to book the trip. I'm still not sure of the exact dates, but it will be during the first week of Sept.

I bought my oldest dd a Canon Rebel DSLR (its the camera she wanted) a few years ago for Christmas. She was doing head shots when she lived in NYC. She gave us framed pictures last Christmas from her trip to Maine. As for me, I usually forget I have a camera :rolleyes1

I was shocked to recieve a new doll for Christmas... I guess that V has been hiding it in a cubby in her room since July... She had my cousin Tonya pick it up when we went out there for the MCM sale. The doll she chose for me was #24, a doll I have been wanting since the very first day I opened a catalog. I honestly had no idea - V is the worst secret keeper in the world - so she must have just been bursting for months! LOL As you can see by the reaction on my face (I am also wearing my new Donald sweatshirt from Alli) - even though I knew I was opening a doll box - I did not think there was a doll in there. LOL I was so surprised!

075.jpg

First of all, LOVE this! Way to go, V, that she kept this secret! And so excited for you that you got #24!!!!

OMG! I <3 this pic of you! I so so so know what that look is saying!!!

I am seriously considering taking all of my GCs to TDS and purchasing a much bigger GC (maybe 3 or 4) with them all - that way, I won't have to carry around hundreds of GCs (not literally, but almost - LOL).

:sad2: sadly, when I tried to do this before our last trip (Finn had received a bunch of GCs for various presents) I learned that they cannot allow you to pay for a gift card with a gift card at the Disney Store. So there's no way to buy one big one with a bunch of $50 GCs :(

I think this is me. Since I turned 40 I have more of a problem with humidity even here in NY. We live on the coast so it is always humid.

I have more and more problems with humidity myself. . .

Looking at the girls' school calendar for next year - our other option is January... they have 2 days off (a Mon and Fri in the same week)... So, I guess I have one more option if we can't make Aug or Oct work in our budget?

Oooh - January 2014! :thumbsup2 Especially since I saw the dates you're talking about . . . that is the earliest we'd get back to WDW and those very dates! Just sayin' :rolleyes1

Then, Josh insisted that the girls and I go up to my BFF's house for her DD's birthday. When we got there (they knew we were coming)... Her dd had a friend over and my bff was in bed because she had hurt her neck the day before. We hung out for a while, then Alli came and asked if we could leave... Hmmm??? So, I started paying a bit more attention to what the girls were doing - and I was getting a bit annoyed. Bff's dd was totally excluding my girls, and basically ignoring them. Now, Bff's dd is like my 3rd child - and the 3 girls are like sisters... but I was very annoyed with her, because I would never let my girls exclude anyone like that, especially her. These are girls who are lifelong friends - they have been close since the day they were born - and they are soo lucky to have eachother. So, the blunt person that I am, I marched into bff's living room and told her dd that we were leaving... Of course she was mad. But I told her, flat out, we drove 30 miles just to come and see her on her birthday, and then she sits there and doesn't even say 2 words to the girls. For that matter, the gift we gave her was unwrapped and laying in a pile on the floor... I was very annoyed. I don't care how old you are (she turned 14 yesterday), you treat people and the gifts they give you with respect. So, Bff's dd was super upset, trying to make excuses - and I felt horrible - it was her birthday, after all. But really, I remember being that age, and I remember being excluded on purpose by my friends, and how horrible that felt... there is no excuse for it - it's just mean. So, we left. No hard feelings... But I will definately think twice about making special trips again, and gift giving is done until she is older and more respectful about it. Grrr... I shouldn't still be so annoyed about this, but I am. We should have just stayed home - but she wanted us to come so badly, and then to be ignored when we got there... :mad:

So, we came home... Josh was nice enough to let me buy a book on his Nook and let me use it. I have to say, I am about half way through it, I couldn't put it down yesterday.

Josh even made dinner... Wild rice soup with the left-over rotisserie chicken from the other night.

Then I read some more... Then off to bed.

So, other than the whole fiasco with bff's dd - we had a good day.
That stinker! I'd be mad too! :hug:

Well, Alli did a magnificant job, and I couldn't be happier with the pictures she took of V...

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

Then, they came home, and Alli coaxed me into going out...

I've determined that Alli is probably not the best person to photograph me, because we goof around too much. OTOH, she is probably the best person in the world to photograph me - because no one else (other than Josh and V) can make me happier or capture me the way she does...

DSC_0276-11-2.jpg

DSC_0218-1.jpg

DSC_0228-3.jpg

DSC_0264-7.jpg

DSC_0267-8.jpg

DSC_0275-10.jpg

And probably my favorite picture... Even though it's a bit dorky - it's definately "me"...

DSC_0273-9.jpg

Alli plans to take Josh and I out this afternoon to get some pictures of us together, since it's something that we have very few of.

I hope each of you had a magnificant New Year!

D~

Love them all!!! Fantastic job, Alli!!!!

Yes I meant a filter, the uv filter is the most basic. There are polarizing filters as well but that's for more advanced. For the lens filter, just check the box the lens came in. On the box it will tell you what size to get. If you aren't sure just call up a photography store. Or go to bet buy they'll be able to tell you. But loves dumbo is right, it should be the 52mm assuming her lens is 18-55 which is usally the standard lens for Nikon bundles and starter packs.
For extra lens I would recommend the 50mm 1.8 it is excellent for portraits and relatively inexpensive. $140 here. My d90 came with an 18-105 lens. I then upgraded for an 18-200 vr2 lens. It is awesome but very $$$$$$$$$$$. They have a cheap 18-200 but I highly recommend the vr2

Yes! She needs a filter!!!! They're usually pretty inexpensive and I cannot tell you how many lenses we've saved between my parents & I because we had a filter on it - camera fell/got knocked over/oops! and camera & lens were a-ok but filter was busted. WAAAAAAY cheaper to replace the filter!

And I agree - the 50mm 1.8 is an awesome lens for portraits! I got it for Christmas from my Dad and have gotten some awesome shots! The pics I posted of Dave & the boys on his birthday were all with that lens and they were total auto settings (which usually turn out cr@ppy in my dining room)! I know Dad got mine for $99 (and yes, I got a filter for it as well).

Yes Erin, I have my paypal connected to my bank acct, so I can transfer money back and forth between them. It usually only takes 2 business days to complete the transfer. :)

D~

Are there fees associated with that? I thought about doing paypal as an option for people to pay me for the scrapbooking crops but I don't want to be paying fees. I must have the actual cash as I keep all the cash and then tally up the bills at the end on my CC and pay off the bills, then make the charity donation and what miniscule profit is left is for the disney fund so I needed actual cash as opposed to crediting the CC since I keep everything separate.

I second the filter on the lens. Carried my DSLR all around Disney. Lost the lens cap half way through. And the camera made it safely home only to drop it in the parking lot getting out of the car a few days later. Luckily the lens was saved due to the uv filter. Much cheaper to replace, and boy was I glad I took that advice from one of my photography classes.

And very exciting to be booking your trip soon! Yeah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter