• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Audio Engineering

ralfsk8

Earning My Ears
Hey there guys!

I'm going to be switching majors soon to Music Engineering with a minor in Electrical Engineering and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what these majors can do in terms of Imagineering.

Thanks

That combo can do a lot in any job. Specifically Imagineering however, it'd apply to developing the audio tracks and effects you hear throughout rides and areas in the park, as well as developing their sound banks.

Imagineering isn't just something you happen into though, more often than not the terms of employment involve them coming to you and not vice versa, and you'll need some good experience at other jobs for them to take an interest in you. Good luck in your endeavors though, I've always aspired to be an Imagineer myself!

I always thought that Mechanical Engineering might be appropriate for me but I realized that I don't really care to build things and feel that have more of a knack towards music (granted I've been doing it for a decade now). Do you think that should set me back from still pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree? Designing rides seems enticing but I'm not sure I'll love it. I was considering a major in Music Engineering with a dual minor in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. Any thoughts?

I guess the big question is what sort of role would you like? There isn't a whole lot shared between audio engineering (which I assume is same as music) and electrical/mechanical.

The audio engineering aspect would lend you towards providing sound for many of the shows or parades and even fireworks displays (they all have music!). Are you interested in mixing live music? You could also do recording - which would be mixing and mastering tracks, but I feel like there are many less jobs in recording as opposed to live production. These jobs are under Show Development and Production and the title is Lighting/Sound/Stage Technicians. This is more hands on setting up and testing the audio systems, maintenance, and actual mixing/production during shows of instruments or voices. For this it helps to have experience mic-ing instruments and people as well as experience with live mixing of audio tracks.

If you ended up going with with the major and double minor, you might be able to design some rides/shows and be able to participate in the fabrication of the audio systems there. This would be called Ride and Show engineering I believe and they're responsible for designing and supervising the fabrication and testing of enhancements and new designs for rides. Ride Engineering consists of both Mechanical Engineers focused on Machine Design and Electrical Engineers focused on Control Systems.

I actually looked into this a bit a few years back, as I have worked in audio recording during high school and college and owned my own entertainment company. Let me know if you have any other questions, as I did a decent amount of research into this and have friends in entertainment - both at Disney and outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter