• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attn: PLANNING EXPERTS!

Do you need park hoppers? I have never used park hoppers in the four times I have gone. All my trips had school age children involved and I can't think of a time I really felt like leaving one park to go to another. We pick the park we are going for the day and we go, if we take a break in the afternoon at the hotel, we would just head to the same park after our break. Early closing times like 5p.m. at AK in February, we would just go to Downtown Disney at night or plan a nice dinner at one of the resorts.

Op with all the good advice you've gotten here.... I'd go with the value resort +QSDP...no hoppers. That would save quite a bit of money and be right around your price point- if you want to go lower then no dining plan, pack a cooler with snacks and breakfast food, buy counter service meals in the parks-
since you're not hopping pick your fave park each day,based on crowds, hours,etc. I think hopping is cool, but overrated if you're on a tight budget. Plus your kids are young, you should plan some downtime during the day to chill and enjoy your hotel pool.... so you could hit a park early...back to your hotel for a nice lunch from your mini fridge:thumbsup2 swim for a while, head back into that same park for night hours....eat cs dinner in the park....

And where would your commission come from? Or would you do it for free? Disney pays the TA a commission on their bookings but where does it come from if the TA rents out DVC points and buys the tickets from UT?

And how does a TA handle renting DVC points? What kind of assurances can she offer her client that the reservation is good and that their money is safe? Does she go through a third party such as David's (which is something the OP could do on their own)? Or does she rent her own DVC points to the client...which would be against DVC rules (commercial renting of points).

I'm just really curious as to where the profit lies for a TA in a situation like this. :confused:

There isn't any profit to a TA, but for some of us, that wouldn't matter. We're a military family and I do a lot of bookings for military families. Naturally, sometimes the least expensive option for military and the one that bests fits their plans doesn't involve me getting a commission at all, but steering clients in the right direction and saving them money means they come back to me when they do want to stay on property or by referring their friends and family to me. I take the bigger picture view. :goodvibes

With renting DVC points, I can't assure anyone that is a good option or that their money is safe, but if someone wants a savannah view 1 bedroom at Kidani Village and recoils at the price through Disney, I would (and have) tell them about the option to rent points, but I won't give them a specific company to work with. Since I don't have any personal experience renting with any of them, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. I would also give them other options in their price range on and off property so they have choices. If they book through me great, if not, that's okay too. :-)

-Astrid

There isn't any profit to a TA, but for some of us, that wouldn't matter. We're a military family and I do a lot of bookings for military families. Naturally, sometimes the least expensive option for military and the one that bests fits their plans doesn't involve me getting a commission at all, but steering clients in the right direction and saving them money means they come back to me when they do want to stay on property or by referring their friends and family to me. I take the bigger picture view. :goodvibes

With renting DVC points, I can't assure anyone that is a good option or that their money is safe, but if someone wants a savannah view 1 bedroom at Kidani Village and recoils at the price through Disney, I would (and have) tell them about the option to rent points, but I won't give them a specific company to work with. Since I don't have any personal experience renting with any of them, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so. I would also give them other options in their price range on and off property so they have choices. If they book through me great, if not, that's okay too. :-)

-Astrid
Thank you for explaining your rationale. From a business standpoint, I can understand putting the goodwill ahead of profit in the short-term.

With the 30% special that is going through the 14th of June, I see Disney All-Star Sports for 7days/6 nights (June 2-8), 7 day park hopper, and Quick Service dining plan for $2278.14.

Like other posters have mentioned, with young kids I might skip the dining plan to save a bit of money. Without the dining plan you're looking at $1741.26.

Why not stay at a Downtown Disney Hotel or The Swan or The Dolphin? While they aren't considered a Disney hotel (no dining plan) those are still on property and provide free shuttles to the parks. I don't know about the Downtown Disney Hotels, but the Swan and the Dolphin provide transportation to and from the airport for a fee...it's cheaper than renting a car :confused3

I haven't read the entire post, so I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this or not, but have you thought about renting points through DVC? You can do a studio at Old Key West, for 1 week, at 99 points the first week of June. At AKL, you can do a studio for 76 points that same week. It is easy to find points for rent around the $11 point on this thread: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29. You can even find points for $9 when it is getting closer to them expiring but it is a gamble if they will become available. Even at $11/point, a value studio at AKL would run you around $836.

OKW Deluxe Studio: The Deluxe Studio offers 2 queen-sized beds, nightstand, armoire, TV, table with 2 chairs and a decent sized closet, in a 376 square foot room. Full bathrooms have ceramic tiled floors and storage area in the vanity under the sink. The kitchenette area includes an under the counter refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and small sink. A start-up supply of coffee is provided in addition to coffee mugs, glasses, paper bowls and plates, and plastic cutlery. The picturesque view can be enjoyed from the private balcony or patio.

AKL Studios Can accommodate a party of 4 (plus child under age 3 in crib), Queen size bed and full size sleep sofa, Small refrigerator, wet bar, microwave and coffeemaker, Private balcony, Flat panel TV and DVD player, 316 - 365 square feet in Jambo House, 366 square feet in Kidani Village

The studios would allow the flexibility to do more meals in the room, because you will have the microwave. If you have one at home, you can always bring an electric skillet, or griddle, since you are driving, and this will enable you to do more than just microwave meals and cereal in the room. This will also enable you to cook in a regular room, if disney would would allow this. I cook almost anything on my griddle, or in an electric skillet. For that matter, why not bring a crockpot. Put your food in in the morning, and then it is ready when you get back in the evenings. (I'm not sure if disney will allow this for sure in a hotel room, but we did it in a 2 bedroom at OKW last year, and never had any issues).

I'm not sure how you are looking at your budget either, but when we go on vacation, we don't factor groceries, because we would have to buy groceries at home anyways. Are you factoring meals eatting out, or meals and groceries?

If you have a AAA membership, you can get discount tickets. I think it is a 10% discount, but you get extra perks throughout the park, at least you used to. As several people have said, Orbitz is having a Buy 3 days get 2 free sale on tickets (This ticket include water parks, so it may be cheaper go a different route). Through disney's website, you are at 1008.09 for 2 adult, 1 child PH ticket. The PH is going to add an additional $171, so if it is an option, I would forgo that. That could be substansital for your grocery's or even for gas.

Now that I feel like I've written a novel, in summary :rotfl: I found the following:

AKL Value Studio 76 points at $11/point = $836
5 day+PH for 2 adults and 1 child= $1008.09
Grand Total of $1844.09
Budget Difference: $155.91

or

AKL Value Studio 76 points at $11/point = $836
5 day tickets w/o PH for 2 adults and 1 child= $837.09
Grand Total of $1673.09
Budget Difference: $326.91

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter