Attire - Mother of the Groom

I just got married and I would suggest you mention it to the bride. My MIL did this and I asked that she wear a darker solid color (we had a black tie wedding). She wore a very nice black gown with a black lace overlay.

When we got married, my Mom was 44 and my MIL was 50. It's important to note their ages because their approach to dressing for our wedding was worlds apart. Despite their small age difference, my Mom looked young, chic and stylish while my MIL looked old, matronly and frumpy.

The men wore black tuxedos and the bridesmaids wore tea length turquoise dresses. My mom chose a peach two piece suit that was quite flattering on her. She later wore that suit to a number of events for several years. My MIL, despite being only 6 years older than my Mom always acts like she is much older than she actually is. She chose a loose fitting beige chiffon dress. It was in fact, very similar to the lavender dress that my Grandmother wore. I kind of felt bad for her because she could have chosen something much more flattering.

So yeah, don't pick some frumpy old lady dress...the mother if the groom should look as gorgeous and stunning as all the other women.

When I got married my mom and MIL went shopping for dresses together, and I am so glad they did. My mom was going to buy an off-white dress! Thankfully my MIL talked her out of it and she ended up with a pretty pale yellow dress instead. My MIL chose a pretty lavender dress.

I'm a Mother of the Bride and I can't figure out what to wear. It's an outdoor wedding. The bridesmaids are wearing short dresses, the groomsmen and groom are wearing grey suits.

My daughter keeps picking out long gowns for me. I've never met or spoke to her future mil. They live 2,000 miles away. My daughter said she's wear slacks and a blouse.

It's usually wise to make the bride happy. ;)

My MIL wore her usual black cloak and matching broom..........please destroy this post after reading.

My MIL probably would have, had she not boycotted the wedding. As it was, I'm pretty sure she was outside the church casting evil spells in the parking lot - probably dressed in blue paint and feathers - lol. It's OK, we became "civil" to each other a few years later.

This is the dress that I wore for my son's wedding. I bought it a JC Penney.

:laughing:
My MIL probably would have, had she not boycotted the wedding. As it was, I'm pretty sure she was outside the church casting evil spells in the parking lot - probably dressed in blue paint and feathers - lol. It's OK, we became "civil" to each other a few years later.

Mine sat in the front row and cried, balled her eyes out (he's marrying an hispanic!). My side of the family were cracking up! Our pictures show her eyes red, swollen from crying, not one smile! My family still laughs about it to this day. Especially my uncles trying to get her to take a shot. LOL.

Now that her hubby is very sick, dying at home, she's mad. She wants her son to come on the week ends so she can go shop.....on her broom. :rotfl2:

I am taking notes of this. I have two sons....I want to be a good mother in law and follow etiquette rules. So thank you all! :woohoo:

There was a poster on here a while back that wanted opinions on her very sexy dress as mother of the groom. If I remember correctly she eventually toned it down.

I think it's nice that you are even considering the brides feelings! Sounds like you are starting out on the right foot.

My mil found out what dresses my bridesmaids were wearing and came in the same dress different colour but exact same dress otherwise- word of advice do not do this.

I should show this thread to my mom, to show her she wasn't alone in MoG dress drama!

When I got engaged, my MIL said "Here's the dress I'm wearing." I said it was lovely (and it was... my colors were navy and silver, the dress was mauve and very appropriate). End of story.

So when my brother got married last summer, I was a little surprised at the list of "rules" my mom was given about her wardrobe. I swear my sis-in-law was not a huge Bridezilla, but I think HER mom was putting pressure on her to order my mom around. She kept sending me photos of dress "suggestions," asking me to guide my mom toward something like that. The problem was that my mom is plus-size, and the suggestions just were not appropriate (or available in her size).

At first, the wedding color was teal, with orange and purple accents. MoB said she'd wear eggplant, and my mom could wear pumpkin. This was my mom --> :rotfl2:. Luckily the colors changed to a silvery-purple. MoB bought a silver dress. My mom got "approval" to wear navy and found a nice dress. Then the MoB decided her dress was too tight and tried to exchange it, but they only had it in navy. She actually suggested my mom find something else (and I'm pretty sure my mom would have lost her mind at that point :rotfl:), but luckily the bride stepped in and said they could both wear navy. The dresses were not similar in style, and everyone looked and felt great. :thumbsup2 Whew! Glad that's over.

My son is getting married today :thumbsup2

I actually bought my dress first before our vacation last month. They have only been engaged 6 months, so less time to get everything done. Her mother found her dress about a month ago. No one is stressed about what we wear. The bride is very laid back and let her moh pick her own dress too.

My dress is basically a cocktail dress so not something I'll wear all the time, but it will get worn again.

My mom wore a gorgeous beaded olive green/gold gown. My mil wore a purple gown. They never discussed with each other what they were wearing. Neither matched the bridal party and that was the way I wanted it.

Wow, so much angst!! When I was married (second time for me, first for dh) my mil actually wore the same dress she wore to another ds's wedding, a few years before!! She couldn't even bother getting a new dress!!! My mother found an outfit that complimented the other dresses.
I think that the bride makes the call...to a point. She and her mother can choose the mother of the bride dress and then let the groom's mom know what colors would look good with the rest of the wedding party and what style. I don't care for the whole 'this is the dress we want you to wear' mentality!!! I know the mother of the bride is important, but really? So it the grooms mom!!! And this whole thing lately with the mom's looking like they're going to the prom, or they're getting married? Seriously, let your dd shine, it's her day, not yours!!!

I didn't know the MOB and MOG were not supposed to match the bridesmaids?
I always thought they should be in the same colors as the wedding?

I didn't know the MOB and MOG were not supposed to match the bridesmaids?
I always thought they should be in the same colors as the wedding?

Well, you don't want them to match the bridesmaids. My mother did that...and she looked like she was trying to recapture her youth. Complimentary colors and styles is about as far as I would go. One would assume that the bridesmaids would be wearing dresses that would be 'too young' for the mothers.
Now...I have to decide what aunt of the groom wears!!! Since my mom can't be there, I am now the eldest in the family!!! Hard to be the matriarch!!!

Well, you don't want them to match the bridesmaids. My mother did that...and she looked like she was trying to recapture her youth. Complimentary colors and styles is about as far as I would go. One would assume that the bridesmaids would be wearing dresses that would be 'too young' for the mothers.
Now...I have to decide what aunt of the groom wears!!! Since my mom can't be there, I am now the eldest in the family!!! Hard to be the matriarch!!!

I was actually talking about color. Of course the MOB and MOG would not wear the same dress as the bridesmaids (or each other). But I thought colors COULD match....

My son is getting married next year and my goal is to not look like I'm his grandmother or his sister. They have not settled on a place, which will affect dresses, too. I will ask for guidance from the bride and/or mother when the date gets closer. I've lost right at 30 pounds and intend to lose more, so I won't be looking at dresses for a while.

I'm luckier than most MILs to be in that I know the bride really well and already love her. She has been my son's girlfriend since 8th grade and they're 25. She's been at the family's weddings and funerals and on most of our vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter