Attention Vancouver Experts!!!

Thanks! We're on the Alaska cruise leaving on Memorial Day and are coming in to spend the weekend before in Vancouver. We wondered if we should expect larger than normal crowds.

Also, we have a big family group ranging in age from 3 to 73. Any recommendations on activities we could all do together?

For a group with such varying age ranges I would say Stanley Park fits the bill. You can walk around the seawall or rent bikes quite cheaply The Aquarium is there and though it is not cheap, it's a very good aquarium (complete with an area dedicated to small children to play indoors while adults take a break). You can purchase food in the park, both at concession stands around the park and restaurants. Late May is too early for the outdoor pools to be open unfortunately and will probably be a bit too chilly for the beach but you never know, if it's a particularly mild day then you'll also have miles of beach to explore.

Expect it to be busy on first August weekend with Fireworks competitions and Pride Festivities. In late August, Vancouver will be busy with the Americas Masters.

I strongly recommend securing your hotel rooms early to avoid higher prices approaching August. I expect some savings at the Airport hotels.
We secured the Pan Pacific (repeat visitors) a long time ago so no worries there :) I thought the Pride Festivities were the weekend of July 30th is that not correct? I know you will know :) Perhaps when I pulled it up a long time ago it wasn't confirmed yet. We don't mind and will adjust to the crowds as we are used to that traveling. Vancouver is amazing no matter what, right!

Thanks,
Heather

I wish we were heading back to Vancouver this summer, we had 2 days before our cruise and loved it. So beautiful. There is a great restaurant right by the cruise terminal and a burger place opposite, there either side the square where the torch is. We sat out at the burger place and had a drink just a few hours after getting in and just took in the views! Can highly recommend the honey ale from Granville island brewing company grouse mountain was fab, we would visit again and the shuttles are super convenient. You could possibly do that and capilano in one day. We visited Granville island as our whale watching tour left from there. I agree with the above poster, not a must do and was quite pricey, lots of choice in the market though. Our most enjoyable activity was renting bikes and cycling the seawall, you happen across beaches, parks and pools and can stop off in Stanley park too. Think we paid 50 dollars for 3 of us for around 4 hours. Some of the hotels even offer free rentals so check if yours does. Have a great trip!!

We took the AquaBus to Granville Island in the morning and had breakfast there and bought some meats, cheeses and breads for lunch later. We then took the tube to Gastown (which we thought was dirty and over run with tourists and aggressive beggers). We saw the clock and then walked the seawall to Stanley Park. It was fun seeing the houseboats and float planes land. We had a picnic in Stanley Park and saw the totem poles, the bridge overlook and finished with Dinner at the tea house. We took the bus back to the city and then the tube to our condo rental in Yaletown. It was a long day, but we saw a lot.

Thanks! We're on the Alaska cruise leaving on Memorial Day and are coming in to spend the weekend before in Vancouver. We wondered if we should expect larger than normal crowds.

Also, we have a big family group ranging in age from 3 to 73. Any recommendations on activities we could all do together?

We will be getting off the ship that day....so I'll be super sad and you'll be super happy! :)

On the July 31st (Sunday).... The Vancouver Pride parade will be occurring one block away on Robson. As a result, the Sutton on Burrard and nearby streets will be in gridlock.

The parade runs from noon to 3pm. However, road closures start around 9am and go until 7pm. This creates incredible congestion near the Sutton.

If the Sutton remains a top priority.... use the subway and be prepared to walk.... taxi's will be trapped in that gridlock.

Last edited:
My favorite Vancouver activity is to rent bikes to ride around the sea wall in Stanley Park.

My favorite tourist attraction in British Columbia is Buthcart Gardens, just north of Victoria. But this requires taking a ferry back and forth to Vancouver Island (I still highly recommend this if you arrive a few days before your cruise).

Other pretty good Vancouver area attractions (albeit touristy) are Capiliano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain.

If you like to hike and have a couple of extra days (and a car) I'd suggest Garabaldi Lake, just south of Whistler, which includes a drive on the beautiful Sea-to-sky highway.

We had a wonderful week long vacation in British Columbia last summer visiting the above attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter