• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attention all girls who grew up in the 70's

I didn't wear Love's Baby Soft -- it made me sneeze. But I DID wear "Love's Fresh Lemon". I recall my older sisters fighting over who had used the other's "Charlie" perfume....and I remember using Prell shampoo (do you remember it being in a glass bottle? Then in a plastic tube?) My sisters liked "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" shampoo. Didn't smell any different to me, though...

And the one thing I just CANNOT forget... on Saturdays, we kids had specific chores to do. I had to dust. Sisters had to clean bathrooms. And my brother had to dump all the trash cans. My brother was very "into" rocketry, and would build his own model rockets. Apparently he considered the trash to be his own personal domain, fit for scavenging.

Imagine my parent's surprise when my brother produced, in front of the whole family and my sister's boyfriend one Sunday, his latest creation -- an interesting rocket made with these "really neat little white cardboard tubes" he had salvaged from the bathroom trash cans the day before while on his usual garbage detail.

Ewwwww. :crazy2:

We still tease him about that...

Ahh, and what about those Lip Smackers that were the size of a roll of quarters? It's hard to say how many pounds of that stuff we consumed running one of those babies over our lips about fifty times a day!!!

Avon's Sweet Honesty was always lingering in the hallways of our school, only to be "out-whiffed" by Agree shampoo. Lunch usually consisted of something really nutritional like a Snickers bar and a cold can of Tab. Those were the good old days!!!

OK! said:
I even had a shirt with an iron-on pic of Shaun Cassidy on it. The shirt was powder blue and I think may've even said "Shaun" across the corner of the pic in some kind of flowing, glittery script. :rotfl:

I think I have that one beat... how about a blue SATIN jacket with Shaun Cassidy's picture on the back?

I met her on a Monday and my heart stood still, Da Do Ron Ron
... I used to wish my name was Jill!

Thanks for the memories. I've been talking about my Star Wars toys lately :teeth:

WOW - the was a trip down memory lane. I think that Pixie cut that my Mom gave me and being called a boy is one of the reasons that I have had long hair all my life. :rotfl:

Ok Ladies,

I have to agree - Johhny Gage was a heartthrob. For the longest time, I wanted to be a paramedic. However, I don't know about the rest of you, but I was quite fickle.

As soon as Vinnie Barbarino showed up on the tube, Gage was quickly forgotton. Ahhh, John Travolta on a TV series, those were the days. I would have given anything to be a Sweathog.

Of course, I was also madly in love with Peter Tork. (Davy Jones was just too popular - I had to be different).

kat3668 said:
YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S IF... :flower:

You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (Admit it!)

Gopher is actually on a local Washington DC radio station now! It's WMAL AM 630. He's on the morning show with Andy Parks.

THose were great! Oh, to be back in those days again! I had a purple bike with a banana seat and a tall flag on the back. I didn't have a crush on Gopher, but Doc. Thanks for the memories!

A 69 baby here. Those are awesome and most apply for me. Man, I could tear it up on my Big Wheel. :teeth:

Yep, I do remember the Love's Baby Soft. I also liked Jean Nate' body splash, although Mom wouldn't buy it for me.

And that Dorothy Hamill "wedge" cut...had it for a while. Thankfully, that cut has aged a lot better in pictures than those who had to suffer through those Toni home perms. :earseek:

I've seen the 80s version of this, but this is the best!

I...personally...was luvvin Barry Manilow (still have issues with that, but I'm working it out) :teeth:

Do you remember that those electronic games, like Simon, required about 8 "C" or "D" size batteries? My parents still have some of them and it cracks me up.

Since when was "Physical" not about aerobics???

Born in '78 but almost all these things applied to my childhood - I LOVED my Snoopy snow cone maker!

I wish I still had my pink polyester bell bottoms with huge picture of Shaun Cassidy on the leg. I thought they were so cool.

I'll have to send this list to my friends. It's great!

:sunny:

Felicia said:
Laurabearz: I LOVED the Bay City Rollers! I wanted to marry Leslie! I even made my own BCR clothes by sewing tarten around the bottom of my jeans and on a jacket!

ME TOO!!!! :rotfl2:

I was born in 1968, so this was totally my era .... but living in Barbados I missed out on several of the things mentioned! Nowadays we have a lot more influence from North America, but back then we didn't have all the U.S. TV, and many of the U.S. products never made it to our shores!

Still, I can relate to an awful lot of those things!

I still want my Mickey Mouse Telephone!!!!!!!
So I had issues with a mouse even back then.

Thanks for the memories...sitting here smiling remembering all the above and my husband said he remembers a few but not all and I said, "That's because you weren't a little girl". Thanks again!

kat3668 said:
YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S IF... :flower:

You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine.

You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked.

You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. (Oh, yeah - still my favorite bike).

You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days.

You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers.

You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon.

You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. (Oh, yeah...that was me).

You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with the hard sole & the buckle!

Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket.

It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags!

You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or Rick Springfield?"

You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack record album.

You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom.

You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts!

You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker.

You couldn't wait to get the free animal poster that came when you ordered books from the Weekly Reader book club. Double score if it was a teddy bear dressed in clothing.

You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books (Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.)

You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer.

You had a Big Wheel with a brake on the side, and a Sit-n-Spin.

You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat.

Leif Garrett was my favorite. Hubba, hubba! :banana:

Definitely a tear in my eyes - what a great list! I was born in '62, so I remember all of them, even if I outgrew a couple. And even though I ADORED Shaun Cassidy (like jackskellingtonsgirl, watched Hardy Boys every week), David Cassidy was my favorite teen heartthrob. DD loves to tease me any time she hears something about the Partridge Family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter