Attendance policies for taking kids out of school for vacation?

Smiling Cheshire Cat

DIS Veteran
This isn't one of those "what do you think about taking the kids out of school for vacation threads?" We've done it a couple of times in the past.

DS is now in middle school and I assumed that the attendance policy would be similar to his elementary school's since they are under the same governing school board, which was that the principal encouraged families to take their vacations when school is not operating. There is no mention of vacations at all in the middle school attendance policy. It says if you have a reason to be absent that is not listed as an excused absence you must write a letter to the school board and have a meeting with them. Has anyone ever done this? I had hoped to notify his principal/teachers about a month in advance of our vacation which is what we have done in the past with no problems.

Any similar circumstances or experiences anyone?

Thanks,

I teach in a public high school, and I can tell you in our system that request would be denied and the absences would be unexcused. Mabye you could talk to another parent at the middle school who has done it before?

what are the real consequences for a middle schooler who has 5 unexcused absences that a parent is fully aware of?

I contacted our MS principal at the end of last school year and asked her what needed to be done when DS misses a week of school in Nov.

He needs to fill out a homework request sheet about two weeks before and give it to his teachers and that's it.

I also told her that even if the absences were unexcused, we were still going. ;)

She told me the absences would be excused, no problem. :)

I teach in a public high school, and I can tell you in our system that request would be denied and the absences would be unexcused. Mabye you could talk to another parent at the middle school who has done it before?

Thank you for the advice. I will ask around.

what are the real consequences for a middle schooler who has 5 unexcused absences that a parent is fully aware of?

The policy says that zeros will be assigned for work missed for unexcused absences so he would not be able to make up the work he missed.

I contacted our MS principal at the end of last school year and asked her what needed to be done when DS misses a week of school in Nov.

He needs to fill out a homework request sheet about two weeks before and give it to his teachers and that's it.

I also told her that even if the absences were unexcused, we were still going. ;)

She told me the absences would be excused, no problem. :)

I think I will start by doing this as well. I may give them a couple of weeks since school just started. I'm hoping for the same response.:goodvibes

I just love schools that tell you to plan vacations when school is out, then you do, and then they change the schedule! This just happened to us and I am not too happy. I spent alot of time making sure to iminimize the time my children will miss school for our trip in November using the calendar the school district has published for at least six months. Then we got a new schedule yesterday and they have changed the dates with no explanation!

I would ask around and see if there are other parents in your district that can give you some info.Schools vary GREATLY from district to district.I can tell you in my district once kids reach Middle school, abscences for family vacations are un-excused ( excused abscences are for illnesses, family emergencies,family deaths etc)and They give zeros for classwork, tests missed etc .High School is even more strict.

I just love schools that tell you to plan vacations when school is out, then you do, and then they change the schedule! This just happened to us and I am not too happy. I spent alot of time making sure to iminimize the time my children will miss school for our trip in November using the calendar the school district has published for at least six months. Then we got a new schedule yesterday and they have changed the dates with no explanation!

I know what you mean. I gave up trying to work around the school calendar and do what was best for DH's work schedule. Our school system added 30 extra minutes to the school day and gave us 5 extra days out of school. But instead of grouping them all together they are a day here.

I would ask around and see if there are other parents in your district that can give you some info.Schools vary GREATLY from district to district.I can tell you in my district once kids reach Middle school, abscences for family vacations are un-excused ( excused abscences are for illnesses, family emergencies,family deaths etc)and They give zeros for classwork, tests missed etc .High School is even more strict.

I am worried about this too and this is probably the last time we will miss a week of school for vacation. We did it 3 times in elementary school without incidence. I did not consider that the middle school attendance policy would be different from the elementary school's since they are in the same school district.

I work for, and have two kids attending, the Altoona Area School District in Pennsylvania. Students who miss school for trips must complete an educational trip request. Basically, parents must explain how the trip will benefit the student.

For a Disney trip, most parents focus on Epcot and AK as those two parks have tons of educational value (science, world cultures, conservation, ecology). For example, I could write "Students will learn about the fragile condition of our oceans at Epcot's The Seas..." Most parents also through in a trip to the Kennedy Space Center, although I doubt all of them make that trip.

Students also must request homework and complete all assignments before their return to school. Anything that isn't finished by the time the student returns becomes a 'zero.'

We will be taking our WDW trip this November. Our kids (10 and 8) will miss five days of school. I will also use five personal days. I know many other teacher who take trips in mid-November, taking their kids out of school. None have ever been declined.

We are going to Disney in Sep. DD is missing 3 days of unexused absent days. She has to do one hour of after school detention when we get back. And she cannot make up any missed test.

I just hope our vacation is worth it.

We are going to Disney in Sep. DD is missing 3 days of unexused absent days. She has to do one hour of after school detention when we get back. And she cannot make up any missed test.

I just hope our vacation is worth it.

Detention? For school absences? That seems a bit harsh! I can see not letting her make up the work but detention seems like too much:confused:

I teach at a public high school in PA. Kids submit a parent letter requesting vacation. All teachers sign the paper stating that they give/ do not give permission. Of course, even if a teacher signs it that they don't give permission (student is in danger of failing), the student still gets overall permission. All days are an excused absence.

I teach in NJ and just last year the entire state came out with a pretty harsh attendance policy. After 5 unexcused absences (doesn't have to be consecutive) you get a certified letter that the district can take you to court over the absences. I also know of a few schools that don't allow make-up work to be graded if there isn't a doctor's note. Basically the policy was created to stop excessive truancy, but a lot of good kids and families have gotten caught in the state's net. Here's a copy of the state policy:

School Responses for unexcused absences:
For up to four (4) cumulative unexcused absences from school, the school district shall:

a. Make a reasonable attempt to notify the parent or guardian of each unexcused absence prior to the next school day.
b. Determine the reason (investigate) for the unexcused absence by consulting with the parent/guardian
c. Develop an Action Plan, after the 3rd unexcused cumulative absence, with the assistance of the parent/guardian to help ensure regular attendance and to address any patterns of unexcused absences.
d. Proceed in accordance with New Jersey Law regarding missing, abused, or neglected children.
e. Cooperate with law enforcement and other authorities and agencies as appropriate.

For between five (5) and nine (9) cumulative unexcused absences, the school district shall:

a. Make a reasonable attempt to notify the parent or guardian of each unexcused absence prior to the next school day. A certified letter will be sent home after the 5th unexcused cumulative absence.
b. Conduct a follow-up investigation with the student's parents/guardians to determine the reason for each unexcused absence.
c. Evaluate the appropriateness of the Action Plan.
d. Revise the Action Plan if needed and identify any patterns of unexcused absences. According to student needs, establish student outcomes and interventions for reaching the outcomes, supporting his/her return to school, and maintaining regular attendance. These interventions may include but are not limited to:

1. Referring to I&RS
2. Conduct testing, evaluations, and assessments of the student's academic, health, and/or behavioral needs.
3. Consider an alternate placement.
4. Refer to a community based social and/or health provider agency or other community resource.
5. Refer to the court program designated by the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts.
6. Proceed in accordance with New Jersey Law regarding missing, abused, or neglected children.

e. Cooperate with law enforcement and other authorities and agencies, as appropriate.

For cumulative unexcused absences of ten (10) or more the student, between the ages of six (6) and sixteen (16) is truant, and the school district shall:

a. Make a mandatory referral to the court program required by the New Jersey Administrative Office of the Courts. A certified letter will be sent home after the 10th unexcused cumulative absence informing the parents/guardians of the school's actions.
b. Make a reasonable attempt to personally notify the parents/guardians of the referral and certified letter.
c. Continue to consult with the parents/guardians and the involved agencies to support the student's return to school and regular attendance.
d. Consult with law enforcement and other authorities and agencies, as appropriate.
e. Proceed in accordance New Jersey laws, codes and statutes, including Compelling Attendance at School.

in addition to thinking about how the school will respond, check with how your child will handle the missed work. I was the same way - in elementary school we took my daughter out on two separate occasions and had no issues so I figured I'd do the same in middle school. I took her out for 3 days to attend an out of state wedding and when she returned & learned that she'd missed a a couple of surprise quizes plus had to catch-up on the classroom work covered while she was out ( she had already completed the homework given to her ahead of time) she had a fit. she was so stressed over it all that I vowed " never again". She's in HS now and whenever I mention vacation plans in front of her and her friends they all say in unison " not during the school year please!!" so it isn't just her - they all feel the same way - missing classroom time is a HUGE deal once out of elementary school.

From what I understand Massachusetts is getting very strict. More than three unexcused absences and the child may not even get credit for the term! And DD#1's principal, in a meeting with parents, even called out that "Disney is not an excused absence."

They blame this on the No Kids Left Behind Act, which I think has caused a lot of problems but if it was only that then EVERY state would have the same problem.

Teachers are definitely NOT required to provide any advanced homework or support to catch a student up. It can depend on the teacher though.

Well we too will be going on vacation during a period while school is in.
The sad thing is we have planned to go the week after Thanksgiving and I know they would have just had time off for that Holiday and will be getting out for Christmas not long after that but unfortunately my husband is in Iraq and will not be home for either of those time periods and we will be going on a FAMILY vaction while he is home for his asigned two weeks.
Our school system has always been very understanding when such circumstances arise and have always excused the kids... I sure hope that is the same this year!

Our is strict. They ask us to sign a document agreeing that any time taken off for trips or vacations of any kind is unexcused. I don't allow DS to miss much but a day or two here and there and I expect to do so in October. We'll figure something out.

I work for, and have two kids attending, the Altoona Area School District in Pennsylvania. Students who miss school for trips must complete an educational trip request. Basically, parents must explain how the trip will benefit the student.

For a Disney trip, most parents focus on Epcot and AK as those two parks have tons of educational value (science, world cultures, conservation, ecology). For example, I could write "Students will learn about the fragile condition of our oceans at Epcot's The Seas..." Most parents also through in a trip to the Kennedy Space Center, although I doubt all of them make that trip.

Students also must request homework and complete all assignments before their return to school. Anything that isn't finished by the time the student returns becomes a 'zero.'

We will be taking our WDW trip this November. Our kids (10 and 8) will miss five days of school. I will also use five personal days. I know many other teacher who take trips in mid-November, taking their kids out of school. None have ever been declined.

I hope that State College has a similar policy! This is the first year I have had think about this as DS is entering kindergarten. We pretty much have to vacation during the school year, as DH can't miss work during any of the breaks,(nature of his job unfortunately).But I'm thinking that if DS is going to fall behind by missing 1 week of Kindergarten, then we have bigger academic issues we need to address with him! A week of stress free quality family time is a invaluable thing.:thumbsup2

wow...there are some strict policies out there!!! I think...being a thinker...for anyone who really had an issue there could always be a way around it. For example...depending on your homeschool laws you could declare you are homeschooling a week or two before your trip.....when you come back..oh, it just didn't work out...get the kids back in school and hey..no unexcused absences....no 0's on work or tests. but again...that would depend on your states's laws and all. I have my kids missing 12 or 13 days of school in september for disney. they don't learn much new so early in the school year and i think family time...super fun family time is just as important as schooling. we do this trip every 3 years....kids only in elementary school right now...don't know what will happen when they get to the older grades but i'm not worried....there is so much more to worry about these days..and lets face it....who will fail a class from missing a test or two...just have to work extra hard to ace the rest of the work...and maybe get some extra credit or something!!!! goodluck with your school policies...hope it works out for you!!!! have a great vaca!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I understand Massachusetts is getting very strict. More than three unexcused absences and the child may not even get credit for the term! And DD#1's principal, in a meeting with parents, even called out that "Disney is not an excused absence."

They blame this on the No Kids Left Behind Act, which I think has caused a lot of problems but if it was only that then EVERY state would have the same problem.

Teachers are definitely NOT required to provide any advanced homework or support to catch a student up. It can depend on the teacher though.

It may very well just be a matter of time on all schools having that problem. Our school revisited their attendance policy this year and voted not to make any changes, but they are at a point where it is of some concern. Overall they have a 97-98% attendance rate, but they're very permissive of family vacations because the 3 largest professions in our community are seasonal. The problem comes in because NCLB doesn't let a school district "settle" for an already excellent overall attendance rate - they have to continually show improvement. So schools that were starting from a very high rate are actually at a disadvantage; a Detroit school that started with 60% attendance can improve year over year by cracking down on actual problems, but a school like ours is put in the position of having to enforce harsh policies on good parents to improve upon excellence.

Interestingly enough, our school board decided to risk continuing the same policy because they feel there will be changes made to NCLB before they "fail" enough years to face sanctions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter