Attaining CC Status

kcooley

Earning My Ears
Just a poll of sorts. My wife and I are Gold CC members with 6 cruises under our belts. We have 2 B2B in January that will put us at 8 total. The catch is, we will have 49 nights on-board at that point (we currently have 42).

My question is, how many people attain Platinum by doing 10 3-night cruises instead of 10 longer cruises? We had table mates on our last cruise that were Platinum because they did a bunch of 3 night cruises just to stack the deck toward status. Hmm, we've sailed 42 nights and are only just now Gold and they've sailed 30 and are enjoying the Platinum perks.

Airlines reward loyalty by either miles flown or segments flown (Delta for instance). So, those who don't do long-haul flights but fly multiple segments still get status. As far as DCL, those of us who have spent many more nights on the ships than some Platinums won't see that status for a while. In theory, you could sail 110 days in a Cat T or something and only just make platinum (10 11-night Med cruises for instance) vs the person who sails 10 3-nighters in an Inside State Room and gets the perks. They spend much less money and much less time on-board but get the status.

What gives? How many people have Platinum status based mostly (if not totally) on 3-night cruises?

Only DCL has this info. My guess is not too many because many of us love long cruises.

On the other hand, when the levels first were announced (October, 2009) there were people doing a series of B2B 3/4 night cruises to get their status up. Honestly, with the recent reductions in platinum benefits, I'm not sure it's that big a deal.

Sce DCL started out by doing only doing 3 and 4 night cruises, there will be many cruisers that have a lot of short cruises under their belt.

I cant be the only one who thinks it is silly that people would go on a cruise just to get their Castaway Club level up. Maybe they just enjoy the shorter cruises. Or that is what they can afford.

Sce DCL started out by doing only doing 3 and 4 night cruises, there will be many cruisers that have a lot of short cruises under their belt.

Yes, but that didn't last long. The 7 night cruises were announced when we were on board in December 1999. I don't remember exactly when the first one set sail. Our first 7 night was September, 2000. And with the cost of those first season cruises, I can't imagine too many people booked multiples!

DCL has offered some two-night cruises to nowhere and they count toward Castaway Cay status -- just the same as the Hawaiian cruises and the Panama Canal cruises.

I really wish that any cruise over 10 days would get double credit, but....

In a few more weeks we'll finally reach gold status, after a total of 51 days with DCL.

It's true the perks aren't quite what they used to be, but I would like to be able to book shore excursions and any new itineraries asap.

I just reached platinum and never did a 3 night cruise. I've done a 4 night.

The others were four 7 nights, one 10 night, one 12 night, two 14 nights and a 15 night.

Never occurred to me to be bothered that someone else could reach the same status by doing ten 3 night cruises.

DCL has offered some two-night cruises to nowhere and they count toward Castaway Cay status -- just the same as the Hawaiian cruises and the Panama Canal cruises.

I really wish that any cruise over 10 days would get double credit, but....

In a few more weeks we'll finally reach gold status, after a total of 51 days with DCL.

It's true the perks aren't quite what they used to be, but I would like to be able to book shore excursions and any new itineraries asap.

I hear you. We finally made Gold, and have 53 days.

:cutie:

I doubt that many people have made platinum with 10 3-night cruises. However, even if 90% of them did it really should not matter. Every one of us could do the exact same thing if we chose to so it is not as if there is not an 'even' playing field. Some people choose to take 3 night cruises - others choose only 10+ night cruises. Personally I don't understand why anyone cares what status anyone else is or how they got that status.

I've only done a 3 night but my next two are 7&8 night itineraries. I'd schedule a 3 or 4 again only if I weren't taking the kids (to minimize babysitting time, I'd love longer but grandmas not quite up for that.)
I don't see what it matters. If they set it at 50 nights, the people with a ton of cruises that were shorter wouldn't be happy. If they set it at $5,000 in passage, people would be unhappy that royal cabins and shorter cruises are favored.
Basically it's an arbitrary way to make many return customers happy, which generally I'm in favor of doing.

I am one of those that really think that anything longer than 8 nights should be counted at 2 cruises. We have spent 52 nights and we're only at 7 cruises. Since they reduced the amount of onboard credit for the different levels of castaway club, the only reason it matters to me is I would like a chance at the prime spa times :). I know, to have such worries!!!!!!

tajz90 said:
I am one of those that really think that anything longer than 8 nights should be counted at 2 cruises. We have spent 52 nights and we're only at 7 cruises. Since they reduced the amount of onboard credit for the different levels of castaway club, the only reason it matters to me is I would like a chance at the prime spa times :). I know, to have such worries!!!!!!

Spa appointments are important!
;)

No matter how DCL did their loyalty program, there would always be people who were unhappy. And we'd each like the program that favored our particular blend of cruises.

They don't have to give us anything for coming back. While I really don't like that they cut the benefits (we do become accustomed), I'm glad we get something. As others have pointed out, it is easier to keep an existing customer than to recruit a new one. But on the other hand, higher level return guests generate less in onboard spending per capita than newbies. Guess that means we bought our t-shirts the first time.:thumbsup2

Just a poll of sorts. My wife and I are Gold CC members with 6 cruises under our belts. We have 2 B2B in January that will put us at 8 total. The catch is, we will have 49 nights on-board at that point (we currently have 42).

My question is, how many people attain Platinum by doing 10 3-night cruises instead of 10 longer cruises? We had table mates on our last cruise that were Platinum because they did a bunch of 3 night cruises just to stack the deck toward status. Hmm, we've sailed 42 nights and are only just now Gold and they've sailed 30 and are enjoying the Platinum perks.

Airlines reward loyalty by either miles flown or segments flown (Delta for instance). So, those who don't do long-haul flights but fly multiple segments still get status. As far as DCL, those of us who have spent many more nights on the ships than some Platinums won't see that status for a while. In theory, you could sail 110 days in a Cat T or something and only just make platinum (10 11-night Med cruises for instance) vs the person who sails 10 3-nighters in an Inside State Room and gets the perks. They spend much less money and much less time on-board but get the status.

What gives? How many people have Platinum status based mostly (if not totally) on 3-night cruises?

I agree..should be based on number of nights onboard or 7 days cruises and above should count as double to the 3-4 nite cruises..And sorry, but yes it does matter!! Even small perks are better than none IMO..::yes::

Here's my point.

Who is more valuable to DCL? A couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 11A at $1539.24 (June 6, 2013 - 3 night/Bahamas/double occupancy) for a total of $15392.40 or a couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 4d at 12597 (June 2013 - 12 nt/Med cruise/double occupancy) for a total of $125970.

A couple who sails the Med in a 4d twice for a total of $25194 has already spent almost $10k more than the couple in the 11a, but they still have 8 more cruises to go before they get Platinum.

Disney needs to look at not only number of cruises, but number of nights and possibly even amount spent in their rewards programs. Early booking is a great perk (the little gifts are ok but not as nice as early booking new cruises or excursions, etc.) but as mentioned, some will take forever to get to Platinum even though they have spent enough to purchase a small house while cruising.

Some of you are rolling your eyes thinking, "What a whiner." Nope, not a whiner. Just wondering who is more valuable to DCL. One who spends enough to buy a car or one who spends enough to buy a house? I know it can't be made so complicated that you almost have to have an accounting degree to figure out your status (stay 7 nights in a 4d and that earns you X credits toward status but 3 nights in a 11b only gets you Y credits).

Just make it so those who spend the big bucks can get there a little more expediently. Not buying status, but it doesn't cost DCL any more to have a couple in a 11b vs a 4a (not counting concierge as they have dedicated staff, etc. that does add expense to the trip) but they are making a killing on those who want the best non-concierge vs the smallest inside stateroom. A little reciprocated love would be nice.

kcooley said:
Here's my point.

Who is more valuable to DCL? A couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 11A at $1539.24 (June 6, 2013 - 3 night/Bahamas/double occupancy) for a total of $15392.40 or a couple who sails 10 times in a Cat 4d at 12597 (June 2013 - 12 nt/Med cruise/double occupancy) for a total of $125970.

A couple who sails the Med in a 4d twice for a total of $25194 has already spent almost $10k more than the couple in the 11a, but they still have 8 more cruises to go before they get Platinum.

Disney needs to look at not only number of cruises, but number of nights and possibly even amount spent in their rewards programs. Early booking is a great perk (the little gifts are ok but not as nice as early booking new cruises or excursions, etc.) but as mentioned, some will take forever to get to Platinum even though they have spent enough to purchase a small house while cruising.

Some of you are rolling your eyes thinking, "What a whiner." Nope, not a whiner. Just wondering who is more valuable to DCL. One who spends enough to buy a car or one who spends enough to buy a house? I know it can't be made so complicated that you almost have to have an accounting degree to figure out your status (stay 7 nights in a 4d and that earns you X credits toward status but 3 nights in a 11b only gets you Y credits).

Just make it so those who spend the big bucks can get there a little more expediently. Not buying status, but it doesn't cost DCL any more to have a couple in a 11b vs a 4a (not counting concierge as they have dedicated staff, etc. that does add expense to the trip) but they are making a killing on those who want the best non-concierge vs the smallest inside stateroom. A little reciprocated love would be nice.

Totally agree with you!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Here's my point.

I totally agree with you, and I am not one who would benefit ...:goodvibes

It's never going to be 100% fair. Maybe there's someone out there who WANTS to do what you're doing, but can't because of their work schedule. They can do what they can do, and maybe they spend HUGE amounts of money in non-room ways while on board, and they are happy to get the perks they get, and not be dinged because they have a job that they can't be away from.

Plus, they are getting shorter cruises, which isn't as much fun as the longer ones, so automatically you're winning, right? More enjoyment?

kcooley said:
Here's my point.

Totally agree :) :) :)

You're never going to find a completely fair formula because there are just too many variables.

We're Gold and made it with one 3 day cruise, three 7 day cruises, and one 5day cruise. We have B2Bd on that last one, so we had two 5 day cruises B2B, turning us Gold after the first one. It made no difference in pre-booking, but it was nice to know we had a 10% discount in the shops waiting for us, so we didn't buy anything on the first cruise, lol!

Now, being Gold, it's nice to have that little extra time to book onboard dining, excursions, etc. just a little bit after the Platinum folks, and before the Silver CC members. I have noticed a difference in things being available at the Gold timing level over the Silver.

But, really, it's all about the fun in reaching the levels. We did another cruise in August and will be doing a 3 and 4 day B2B in January....we'll be up to 9. Just one more and then the following one, we'll get that free Palo dinner! A thrill, to be sure, LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter