Atlanta?

Dsnymouse

DIS Veteran
Any Diser's live in Atalanta? We may be relocating there. Looking for ideas on family friendly communities with decent schools. Currently live in a master planned community and enjoy it. (pool, family activites, walking trails). If anyone can suggest such a community, please let me know. Tell me what you love about Atlanta....:)

I have a friend who lives in alpharetta and loves it there.

I however am not from the US but would love to live there p/t!!

Wish u the best of luck in your search

Any Diser's live in Atalanta? We may be relocating there. Looking for ideas on family friendly communities with decent schools. Currently live in a master planned community and enjoy it. (pool, family activites, walking trails). If anyone can suggest such a community, please let me know. Tell me what you love about Atlanta....:)

Come on down you will love it. Unless you don't like humidity and traffiic :)
I live in a small town (Acworth) which is about 25 miles north of Atlanta. I have been in Georgia 46 years out of my 50 years. I can not imagine living anywhere else. Lots of stuff to do and lots of great people. The county I live in (Cobb) is very family friendly and has several masterplanned communities and some good schools. I guess it depends on where your job will be located as to where you will want to settle. If you wanted to be South of the City Fayette County would be your best bet. Here are some links to get you started.
http://www.cobbk12.org/
http://www.fcboe.org

http://www.americantowns.com/ga/cobb-county/events
http://www.americantowns.com/ga/fayette-county/events

Thanks Monkey & Cadie - Don't know where Dh office will be. Trying to get a jump on locations and local information. :thumbsup2
Cadie - What are the names of Master planned communities in Cobb? Looking for newer construction.

you really need to know where DH's job is first. Atlanta is VERY spread out, especially when you add in the metro areas and the traffic is extremely bad in rush hour. So if DH has a job on one side of town and your house is on the other, his commute could take 2 hours. IMO, it's just not worth the time and energy looking into until you can at least narrow it down to a quadrant.

=kim_o;35503358]you really need to know where DH's job is first. Atlanta is VERY spread out, especially when you add in the metro areas and the traffic is extremely bad in rush hour. So if DH has a job on one side of town and your house is on the other, his commute could take 2 hours. IMO, it's just not worth the time and energy looking into until you can at least narrow it down to a quadrant.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup2 I would just wait until you know where your DH will be located.

=kim_o;35503358]you really need to know where DH's job is first. Atlanta is VERY spread out, especially when you add in the metro areas and the traffic is extremely bad in rush hour. So if DH has a job on one side of town and your house is on the other, his commute could take 2 hours. IMO, it's just not worth the time and energy looking into until you can at least narrow it down to a quadrant.

:thumbsup2 I would just wait until you know where your DH will be located.[/QUOTE]

Yeah- what she said... the job location is a critical aspect of living here in the ATL. New construction is way far outside of town... but again, till you know where your DH's job will be, it's useless to wonder about it!!

We are in Paulding County which is Northwest of Atlanta. DH works in downtown Atlanta. It's about 45 mins to an hour (depending on the time of day, not rush hour) to get from our house to downtown. We like the county we are in and it will be 9 years in May that we have been here.

Ok, Dh job would be in Duluth. What would be some good area's around that area with under hour commute?

DSIL lives in Cumming which is abt. 16 miles from Duluth. They are very happy with their local school and the community is still small and family friendly without a lot of the congestion you get in other areas. The name of their neighborhood escapes me but there are several in the area with great pools, clubhouses and tennis courts.
http://www.forsyth.k12.ga.us/coalmountain/site/default.asp

Use for checking out area schools: http://www.greatschools.org/georgia/cumming/Forsyth-County-Schools/

Duluth is in Gwinnett County. I was raised in Gwinnett, and returned here recently to raise my children. Gwinnett was, for several years, the fastest growing county in the nation. As other posters have said, Atlanta has horrible traffic, Gwinnett included. The Hamilton Mill area of Gwinnett has large golf/tennis/pool communities. Sugarloaf Country Club area is also a nice community. Many professional sports atheletes live there. I would say it is the nicest in Gwinnett. It really depends on your housing budget. I would recommend you come visit for a week. Stay in a hotel near Mall of Georgia in Buford. Drive around during rush hour and see what your tolerance for the traffic is.
As far as Atlanta goes, its a nice city. Professional sports, good dining, cultural events, nice parks, etc.
Good luck with your move. I hope this helps!

We live in the tri-corner area of Gwinnett, Forsyth and Fulton counties. This is the 10 mile radius where Duluth, Alpharetta, John's Creek and Cumming all meet. Sugar Hill is also nearby and is comparable. It is the top rated area for metro schools.

We chose to live in Forsyth county section because the taxes are substantially less than Gwinnett and Fulton. The school system in Forsyth is not considered a "metro" system (because Forsyth county isn't considered a metro county) so you won't see it on any metro-school lists but it is the highest rated school system in the state. As a mom I can tell you that the family amenities in this area are some of the best around. There are so many things to do and places to go. Forsyth and Gwinnett are also known for their great park and recreation systems.

You will find that homes in Forsyth cost less and have more square footage than those in Fulton. As for traffic, it just depends in Atlanta - we measure everything in time not miles. When I lived in Gwinnett I worked in an office 16 miles from my home and my commute was right at 50 minutes. I had another job that was 46 miles from my house and took me 40 minutes. Traffic is our curse! :headache:

If you send me a private message with exactly what you're looking for, I will be happy to point you towards some specific planned communities. There are just so many at so many price points. We have one next to us, Long Lake that started in the $200's and a mile down the road is Creekstone that starts in the $1million. There is everything in between form $90's on up. Forsyth and the Duluth/Sugar Hill section of Gwinnett have a tremendous variety of real-estate for almost any price range.

I grew up in Marietta (Cobb County) and now live just east in Woodstock (Cherokee County). Both are north of ATL and convenient to everything. Housing prices are primo now. We just came in from looking at a townhome for my FIL. They are priced at $295. My parents bought one very similar 6-7 years ago (same builder and plans). They have $525 in theirs.

Nice time to buy here, but as everyone else has said, wait until you know the job area. The commute through ATL stinks, so its nice to live on the right side of town. In fact, I was bringing students back from WDW yesterday and it took us over an hour to get through downtown!!

There are good and bad schools in each district. I have taught in Cobb, Fulton and Cherokee. My mom was a curriculum director in Marietta City and my dad was a college pres, so if you decide on the north side, shoot me a PM and I can maybe offer some help with more specifics.

Good luck...and welcome! :)

Kat77 - Read that Cummings area has gang issues, have you experienced this?
Camkiss - Great idea on visiting and staying by mall. Tell me more about Hamilton mills? What is price range of home.
Kimberly - sent a PM
Aestapa - Thanks for the information will have to check out cobb area and look at drive time.
Any one know about Sterling on the Lake in Flowery Branch?

Can always count on my fellow diser's to pull me through at times like these! :hug:

Duluth can be a large area as well (it's just he nature of the Atlanta area).

John's Creek, Hamilton Mill, Sugar Hill, Suwanee, Buford are all relatively close area's to Duluth. Do you know where specifically his office will be?

Duluth is right by me (I'm in Suwanee). I think your best bets are Johns Creek, Suwanee/Sugar Hill, Hamilton Mill (for new housing).

Ok, Dh job would be in Duluth. What would be some good area's around that area with under hour commute?

We moved 2.5 yrs ago from Atlanta to Indy. We originally lived in Dunwoody/Perimeter Mall area. When we bought a house, we moved to Norcross in Gwinnett County. It was really nice because we were in a fairly new development that was about 1.5 miles to the Forum Shopping Center. We were right in between Peachtree Parkway and Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

No matter where you end up settling, the traffic will always be a nightmare. My job took me all over North GA and Atlanta and I could not believe how the traffic is getting crazier and pushing further north past Cumming. I also believe the taxes are less in Gwinnett than North Fulton (Alpharetta/Roswell).

What you need to do, is find out the address of the office 1st and then go from there. When you visit, I would definitely practice the commute drive. I would definitely stay anywhere from Norcross, Alpharetta, Duluth and Cumming when you visit.

Kim o - Thanks for area's to look into. I will check them out Sugar Hill seems quite expensive.

nj- Don't know much about Dunywood. Are there planned communities with amenities and decent area schools?

Anyone know about Flowery Branch area? Would that be a far drive?

Thanks!

We live in the tri-corner area of Gwinnett, Forsyth and Fulton counties. This is the 10 mile radius where Duluth, Alpharetta, John's Creek and Cumming all meet. Sugar Hill is also nearby and is comparable. It is the top rated area for metro schools.

We chose to live in Forsyth county section because the taxes are substantially less than Gwinnett and Fulton. The school system in Forsyth is not considered a "metro" system (because Forsyth county isn't considered a metro county) so you won't see it on any metro-school lists but it is the highest rated school system in the state. As a mom I can tell you that the family amenities in this area are some of the best around. There are so many things to do and places to go. Forsyth and Gwinnett are also known for their great park and recreation systems.

You will find that homes in Forsyth cost less and have more square footage than those in Fulton. As for traffic, it just depends in Atlanta - we measure everything in time not miles. When I lived in Gwinnett I worked in an office 16 miles from my home and my commute was right at 50 minutes. I had another job that was 46 miles from my house and took me 40 minutes. Traffic is our curse! :headache:

If you send me a private message with exactly what you're looking for, I will be happy to point you towards some specific planned communities. There are just so many at so many price points. We have one next to us, Long Lake that started in the $200's and a mile down the road is Creekstone that starts in the $1million. There is everything in between form $90's on up. Forsyth and the Duluth/Sugar Hill section of Gwinnett have a tremendous variety of real-estate for almost any price range.

What she said! I used to live in Suwanee, but Gwinnett County part of it. We rented then. If I owned i would have looked in Forsyth, cheaper taxes. I lived right at the corner of everything though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter