• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Atlanta Vacation, what do I need to know??

I've lived in the Atlanta suburbs all my life. I'm trying to switch gears into the tourist perspective.

My opinion on Six Flags: If someone in your family is a roller coaster junkie, it may be worth going. Our Six Flags has excellent roller coasters. If not, I would definitely pass. I have been about 5 times in the last few years, most recent was 2 Falls ago. The clientèle is quite rough, parking and food/drinks are grossly overpriced, and its generally dirty and run down. My overall impression of cleanliness was even before the park had been seriously flood damaged twice in as many years. Tickets, however, are cheap...$29 if you grab a coupon from McDonalds. Yep, we will pass.

Marta: If you go to itsmarta.com they have pretty decent maps for the rail. I've rode the rail about 2 dozen times and its fine, if you're staying in town and doing things in town. Fares were around $1.75 per person each way last year when I rode. If you want to get out of the heart of the city, you have to ride the bus and I'm not sure I'd ride the bus. I will have DH look at it, he loves to map things out, it will give him something to do for the trip.

You have a lengthier trip, so this might interest you. The "Starlight Drive In" shows movies. $7 for ages 10&up for a double feature. Snack bar is reasonably priced. Quite fun, authentic, and a good experience since most places don't have drive-in movie theaters anymore. Love Drive-In's, we had one in my hometown, went all the time. It's now a flea market. Will have to look into this, sounds like a great night activity.

The aquarium is quite good. The World of Coke is brand new/completely redone in a new location. I haven't been to the new one, but it sounds like fun. You've probably already done this, but look into getting a City Pass and you can save a lot of money on your tickets/entrance fees. Also try atlantaonthecheap.com. The blogger updates with Atlanta deals every day. I won tickets ( my DD's school has a yearly auction) to most of the attractions for the City pass or I'd snap it up. Did not know about the web site thanks!!

You said you were prepared for the heat. Bless you. It's been 95-97 and "feels like" 102-104 according to the news this past week and its only mid June. I know I'll be hiding inside come mid July! I was born and raised in Florida now live in NC so use to the heat, not a big fan but rather be hot then cold.

I just woke up so my brain's working a bit slow. If I think of more info while I'm out and about today, I'll add it. What restaurant.com gift certificates did you pick up? And, what type of food does your family like? If you think of more questions, let me know.
We love food, not a big fan of seafood. DD does not eat red meat, we do! Other then that open to anything.

I'd consider staying in Stone Mtn Park for a night or two. There are two Marriott run hotels in the park and they offer a very affordable family package that includes lodging, all attractions passes for 4, and a very nice breakfast buffet. Usually about $250 I think--sometimes even cheaper. There is a lot to do in the park. You can look on the Stone Mtn website.

We did the aquarium and zoo on one visit to Atlanta and pricelined a 4 start hotel nearby. Loved the aquarium!

Why do they always have to have it as a family of four, we are only a family of three? What if your a family of five? I did look at that, maybe give them a call and see if they have a package deal for three. Sorry I sound grouchy, I really appricate you telling me about it! Thanks!

His name will be on the board so your friend is helping make this a day he will never forget! I thought about getting tickets to a game if they are playing during the time we are going.

That's awesome. I hope you can go to a game. The stadium is great. I went right after it opened and loved it. Sadly, I'm too far away now.

Now while in Atlanta if only I could hook you up with a friend's restaurant. He's the head chef but sadly, the place is private parties only. It's part of the Buckhead group of restaurants and I've heard his cooking is amazing!

Have you even been to the Natural Bridge in VA. I won tickets to that too. I've tried to find a hotel around there and they are always booked. The hotel at the Natural Bridge was sold out.

I keep getting off the subject of our Ga trip but you guys are so helpful.

If anyone needs info for the Charlotte/Greensboro NC area, hit me up.

Michelle

I haven't been there yet. It's a bit of a drive for us at almost 3 hours. I do want to see it one day, though. I've been to the Natural Bridge in Aruba, before it collapsed. That was amazing. Can you stay in Charlottesville?

Did you look into the Malibu half off depot thingy? It's pretty cool there too.... I may be partial- I live 5 minutes away... lol. :goodvibes It has mini golf, go carts, games and stuff. Kinda neat. I thought about it, we have NASCAR speedpark here very similar sounding. They love it.

And I LOVE Dave and Busters- have you thought about going there? Dunno if you guys have one near you. They rock! My whole family loves it from DS1 all the way to nephews who are 18, to DH and DD9! Great value too if you go for lunch or an early dinner- They have a $15.99 deal with food and a $10 game card. And their food is yummy!

Marta- yuck. My kids wanna go on it- they think it looks cool, but I would rather just rent a car if I was visiting. Most places have free or cheap parking. We are driving so we can do either.

Six Flags- Once again, DD9 wants to go. I said no. She doesn't do big coasters and then whats the point? :confused3 No for us too.
Coca Cola Museum- YES! Super cool for kids! yes, it's on the list.

Aquarium- DD is still whining to go back! It is great. Get the 4-d movie tix too! yes, on the list too.

Fernbank- got a annual pass baby! Its great! won tickets to this, so on the list, glad it is a keeper!

Zoo- once again- got the annual pass! :lmao: Kinda small, but cute. I am used to the Cincinnati Zoo, and this thing is nothing in comparison, but its great for the kids. We go to our Zoo every year so we have to check out other zoos!

If you wanna go gold panning - hit Dahlonega! My DD loved it! Gem panning too. They even have a gold rush museum. We LOVE doing this, we even have one of those machine that smooths out the rock for you! My DH might not like you for telling me about this.:laughing:

If you drive that far up- you might as well hit Helen (the little German town of GA) and maybe even go tubing down the river! I wanna do that myself this summer! :cool1: Helen is a cute area. They have little shops and stuff. Def check out the old timey looking store that has yummy deserts and stuff. Its cute and we always get a kick out of it. That does sound nice, will be looking into this!!!!

Medieval Times is really cool too! (PS- Dave and Busters is in the same shopping center! Along with the clearance Disney store and all kinds of other cool shops! Once again- 5 min from my house! :goodvibes Also a movie theater, food court, skate park and lots of other stuff)

Mall of Ga- biggest mall around the South. Kinda cool. They have an IMAX theater if you haven't been to one (so does Fernbank).

South Eastern Train Museum- really cool! My kids love this place. Its cheap too- like $8/person and add $2 each to ride the train! Its in Gwinnett- near all the other cool stuff I said was 5 min from me! :rotfl2:

Wow! I live near some neat stuff..... now I just need to find more! :goodvibes Keep my kids amused.

Have fun on your trip! And def pack for our lovely heat and humidity!

Thanks!!!

I have to second both visiting the Varsity and the Tums. The Varsity is across from GA Tech and they have yummy hot dogs and the fried peach pies are delicious (and very southern). It can be a little rumbly to the tummy if your not used to it, but still worth it. As far as MARTA, I'm not sure I would compare it to the METRO in DC. I think the METRO is much more tourist friendly, there have been a few violent incidents on MARTA recently at night , but if you ride during the day, you should be fine. The routes are a little limited. I've lived in DC and now Atlanta so it's hard to have the "tourist" perspective. If you like baseball, there is a tour offered at Turner Field that is really neat. I'm not sure if its offered on game days but you get a chance to go on the field and go through the Museum. You may want to check it out. You've gotten some other great suggestions, just remember add about 30 minutes to any travel times because the traffic here is horrendous and drink plenty of water. It has been brutally hot and humid this summer. Have a great trip!!

I took my children last year over Spring Break. Look into buying a City Pass for admission to several of the locations you mentioned visiting.

www.citypass.com/atlanta

It is $ 74 for adults and $ 54 for kids 3-12. It includes admission to Zoo, Aquarium, CNN Tour, World of Coca-Cola. Then you also get to pick 2 more places out of 4 (Fernbank or Atlanta Botanical Garden and High Museum of Art or Atlanta History Center)

We had a great time and my children really enjoyed all of the places.

I usually stay a little out of the city towards Marietta when I go twice a year for business. If you get a chance, eat at the Marietta Diner. YUM!!

I have to second both visiting the Varsity and the Tums. The Varsity is across from GA Tech and they have yummy hot dogs and the fried peach pies are delicious (and very southern). It can be a little rumbly to the tummy if your not used to it, but still worth it. As far as MARTA, I'm not sure I would compare it to the METRO in DC. I think the METRO is much more tourist friendly, there have been a few violent incidents on MARTA recently at night , but if you ride during the day, you should be fine. The routes are a little limited. I've lived in DC and now Atlanta so it's hard to have the "tourist" perspective. If you like baseball, there is a tour offered at Turner Field that is really neat. I'm not sure if its offered on game days but you get a chance to go on the field and go through the Museum. You may want to check it out. You've gotten some other great suggestions, just remember add about 30 minutes to any travel times because the traffic here is horrendous and drink plenty of water. It has been brutally hot and humid this summer. Have a great trip!!

We're opposites! I lived in Atlanta (Gwinnett) and now I live outside of DC. I actually think parts of MARTA are safer than parts of Metro. Metro has had some bad things happening lately, not to mention the big, fatal crash last year.

Oh and "What'll you have?" hee-hee. My band director loved the Varsity so we had to stop no matter where the location, Athens or Atlanta. Luckily, I graduated HS before the one in Gwinnett opened. Phew!

Thanks for the drive in tip! I have searched and searched for a drive in and the only one I have ever found is a couple of hours away. No idea why that one never came up in searches. For anyone that has gone, do you feel it is safe?

Wish I could help out with the hotel part. I know that is always the hardest to make sure you get a decent hotel in a good area but I have no idea about the hotels downtown.

Okay - i agree with this dude!!! Background - I live in Atlanta suburbs and work in Atlanta proper. Have been here about 6 years. My husband is a native.

Did you look into the Malibu half off depot thingy? It's pretty cool there too.... I may be partial- I live 5 minutes away... lol. :goodvibes It has mini golf, go carts, games and stuff. Kinda neat.

And I LOVE Dave and Busters- have you thought about going there? Dunno if you guys have one near you. They rock! My whole family loves it from DS1 all the way to nephews who are 18, to DH and DD9! Great value too if you go for lunch or an early dinner- They have a $15.99 deal with food and a $10 game card. And their food is yummy!
AGREED! we love D&B - they have one in gwinett and one in marietta. this may be far out if you're staying in midtown (20 minute drive or so)

Marta- yuck. My kids wanna go on it- they think it looks cool, but I would rather just rent a car if I was visiting. Most places have free or cheap parking.

double agreed! marta is NOT like the DC metro. it is dirty and doesn't go to very many places, actually. We've only taken it once. We drive.
Six Flags- Once again, DD9 wants to go. I said no. She doesn't do big coasters and then whats the point? :confused3
We do have annual passes to six flags depending on the year. We like it - it's the only close real amusement park to us. Doesn't hold a candle to disney or even bush gardens. Lots of coasters. It is kinda dirty though. Has gone downhill over the years. But, we like the rides.
Coca Cola Museum- YES! Super cool for kids!

Aquarium- DD is still whining to go back! It is great. Get the 4-d movie tix too!

Fernbank- got a annual pass baby! Its great!
Agree - we love the aquarium - annual passes to that too. Fernbank is really cool and the coca cola museum is like one big coke ad. But, still cool.
Zoo- once again- got the annual pass! :lmao: Kinda small, but cute. I am used to the Cincinnati Zoo, and this thing is nothing in comparison, but its great for the kids.
I went for the first time two years ago. nice to go to once, but I'm not a big zoo person. I'd reccomend it though. Cyclorama is next door and it's civil war stuff if you're into that.
Medieval Times is really cool too! (PS- Dave and Busters is in the same shopping center! Along with the clearance Disney store and all kinds of other cool shops! Once again- 5 min from my house! :goodvibes Also a movie theater, food court, skate park and lots of other stuff)

Mall of Ga- biggest mall around the South. Kinda cool. They have an IMAX theater if you haven't been to one (so does Fernbank).
We love the mall of Georgia - again, kinda far out. Buford, GA is probably 20-30 from midtown. Medieval times is really awesome. I didn't realize that they had a D&B at discover mills now!! :)
Have fun on your trip! And def pack for our lovely heat and humidity!

Boy, is that right!!! It is HOOOOOOT down here!

My other comments/reccomendations:
1.) we have GREAT restaurants. They are nice places. Fogo De Chao in Buckhead is awesome and family friendly. Bones just down the road serves the best steak I've ever had and is more of an adult place. We also have Melting Pot on Peachtree in midtown and the cool revolving restaurant/bar at the Westin Peachtree plaza with great views of the city (more adult also).

2.) On the safety: yes, we have some areas that are better than others. However, midtown has a couple homeless shelters that are overflowing. So, there are people asking you for money in midtown. Do walking around during the day.

3.) When renting a car and driving - our traffic is horrid!! The worst times are morning and afternoon rush hour. It can take 30 minutes to go a couple of miles. There are HOV lanes for carpoolers and families which are faster. Be safe while you're in Atlanta - we have a lot of crazy drivers.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Have fun!!

If any of you who live in Atlanta go to Bones, look for Kenny, the bartender. I went to HS with him. We were in band together.

Helen has a lot to do but it's a drive. Dahlonega is really neat and about 2 hours north, depending on where you stay. You can go gold panning. They have a great sandwich restaurant there on the corner. My sister has a mountain house right near there.

Back from the movies, Toy Story 3 was Awsome!

Here are the resturant's I picked from Resturant.com:

$10.00 Doc Green's Gourmet Salad & Grill
$10.00 Flying Biscuit Cafe
$25.00 Fox Sports Grill
$25.00 Jack's Pizza & Wings
$25.00 Rockfish Grille
$25.00 The Sycamore Grill

Plus I won a Dinner for two at Danta's Down the Hatch. That one had a lot of mixed reviews. Is it an Adult only or is it ok for an 11 year o

Michelle
Our daughter is a PhD student at Emory so we get to Atlanta often. We love Flying Biscuit! Never thought I would like grits but their's are creamy and delicious.

My kids LOVE the Sky Hike at Stone Mountain!!! :woohoo:
If spending the entire day there we pick up discount tickets at Kroger before heading to Stone Mountain but there are several ticket specials listed online right now (kids play free on Fridays!) worth looking at: http://www.stonemountainpark.com/offers-packages/
They also sell an After 4pm Twilight Pass (not listed online!) which is great for arriving later in the day and staying for the laser show. We usually arrive around 1pm, ride the ducks, enjoy the shops, and have a late lunch lunch before purchasing the afternoon pass. That's my TGM side talking! LOL! It's too hot in the summer plan on being in this park from open to close!

Ok,

My DH just got back from Atlanta. He was not happy with the "safety" of Atlanta. He felt fine with his brother's and father but said he would not like to take us.

He was approached three times while wating for his car by men asking for money. Downtown where they stayed was very crowed and noisey with people just hanging out on the streets and it looked like they cruise downtown.

I totally understand as a bigger city you have to be a smart traveler. Help me, could you please recomend area's that are more quite and will not put my DH in panic mode.

He is a very protective father, what are your suggestions??

Thank you for helping me, I really want to go and have a good time. Atlanta has so much to offer and this little weekend trip is ruining it for him.

Your Atlanta **AREA** vacation will not be the same experience as what your DH had at the Braves game. We were at Turner Field on Thursday night and were also approached several times. You aren't going to have this happen at most other attractions. It seems those people probably "work" the Braves crowd on a regular basis.

Personally, I would not stay downtown. Try for an area just north of Atlanta. We were in Gwinnett County a couple of weeks ago for a concert, and it is a very nice area. Discover Mill is there, which would be a fun place to hang out on a rainy day. Don't stay west of Atlanta - believe me - that's where I live!:confused3 Maybe in the Buckhead area, or Perimeter Mall area.

The one place I would recommend everyone visit in Atlanta is The Fox Theater, which is indeed, fabulous. Maybe you could take a peek at the performance schedule. I'm also thinking they may, in addition to theater productions, also do a summer film series. This would be a movie, I'm not sure if they're new releases, at movie prices (costing much less than other productions).

I'd also say Mary Mac's Tea Room is an Atlanta staple as well, located on Ponce de Leon Ave., serving southern food.

I definitely agree with most posters' advice on Six Flags. My DH was surprised to learn the park closes at 8:00 during the week. I'd guess it's just too dangerous there after dark these days. Such a shame! Growing up, that was my very favorite time to be in the park.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Atlantic Station. It is a shopping/dining area downtown. I guess "quaint" could be a good adjective to use. There's also a couple of exhibits there. Dialogue in the Dark (which I've done and was totally impressed) and the Bodies Exhibit. This one may, or may not, be for you. You might want to research it first.:thumbsup2

Atlanta does have much to offer. I understand your DH's apprehension after his trip to Turner Field, but it should not be the yardstick to use in measuring the entire city.

Have a safe & fun trip while here. Please give us a trip report when you get back home.

I completely agree with Eeyore's Girl. There are a lot of nice places in Atlanta but there are some really rough areas too (Turner Field falls in the middle). I would stay north of the city in Lawrenceville or Buford. They are a little far out but, let's face it , traffic in Atlanta is bad everywhere so it kind of dosen't matter where you stay, you're going to have a drive in traffic.

The Fox theatre is beautiful and Atlantic Station has an IKEA, which is worth a trip downtown for me:)

Just trust your instincts. You have gotten a lot of good info. on here but if you need more, just ask :)

Have to disagree with recs to stay in norcross, Gwinnett etc. If you are going to Aquarium etc. you will spend all your time in traffic. Discovery Mill Mall is cool but not a reason to come to Atlanta. I am native Atlantan and went to college and law school at Georgia State - Heart of Downtown. I would highly recommend trying to priceline a 4 star or three star in buckhead or Cumberland/Galleria area. If you stay near Centennial Park or Congress Center(true downtown) it may feel a bit dangerous at night for a family and little night time activity. True downtown empties out at night. Lenox/Buckhead has great hotel options on MARTA(which is fine if not out late night) and you can walk to Dantes Down the Hatch(fine for older child). You have lots of food, shopping, movies etc. at night. Gwinnett would be very far from your restaurant options. Buckhead is where we go ( on priceline) when we have a rare night without kids. Can get amazing four star which will have pool etc. for cheap$. 3 stars in area are also good. I would recommend staying on site at Stone Mountain if you are already going there. The Evergreen Marriott is really nice, super safe you are inside a park like Disney and really nice. We have family get togethers there occasionally and love it( even though it is currently an hour and a half from our mountain home.) lots to do. Flying Biscuit yummy although not true southern, but more a contemporary twist. Don;t miss the Varsity(Downtown location only) worth the trip. Cumberland Galleria area close to Downtown, but not on Marta, much closer than Gwinnett. Good hotel choices also alot of priceline options. IF you go to Six Flags it is on the West side of Atl. so a bit closer. I would recommend White Water over Six Flags which is very close to Cumberland Galleria for cleanliness crowds fun etc. ( owned by Six Flags but a water park in different part of town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter