Atlanta Labor Day Friday Traffic

ChimneyJim

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. We are driving down this weekend for a Saturday arrival. At present I estimate hitting Atlanta around 330pm on Friday. This has a possible double whammy of a Friday and a holiday weekend. Just trying to get an idea if it’s doable without too much headache or do I need to modify.

We could probably leave an hour earlier if that’d make a difference.

Another option is to go through Birmingham but that’d add 90 minutes to our drive in total. May be a wash but I’m guessing less stress going through Alabama.

Thoughts?

I don't know how much you would have to pay me to be on the road, in Atlanta, during rush hour on the Friday before Labor Day.

I think Birmingham would be better. Or well before rush hour in Atlanta.

I live about 2 hours away from Atlanta and the same for Birmingham.

Hi everyone. We are driving down this weekend for a Saturday arrival. At present I estimate hitting Atlanta around 330pm on Friday. This has a possible double whammy of a Friday and a holiday weekend. Just trying to get an idea if it’s doable without too much headache or do I need to modify.

We could probably leave an hour earlier if that’d make a difference.

Another option is to go through Birmingham but that’d add 90 minutes to our drive in total. May be a wash but I’m guessing less stress going through Alabama.

Thoughts?

Yikes. There mere thought makes me queasy.

My recommendation would be to leave as early as you can and try to be clear of Atlanta as early in the day as possible. I would would want to be outside of town (meaning, past McDonough on 75 South) no later than 2pm, and even that’s late in the day. I would rather suck it up and leave at obscenely early than sit in that traffic both through town and south of town on 75.

Have you been on 75 South past Atlanta in awhile? In the last year they installed a toll lane that can help bypass some of the traditionally bad areas near Eagles Landing. It’s a variable cost toll lane (changes with demand) and you need Peach Pass (or whatever it is called). Some other state toll stickers are compatible... such as Sun Pass. Not sure of others.

I’m tagging @HopperFan who may have some good insight as well. :-)

Good luck!

As they say in the south ............ Bless Your Heart. :drive:

Atlanta on a Friday ........
Atlanta on a Friday of a holiday weekend .........
Atlanta on a weekend with College Football Classic = 80,000 coming in
Atlanta on a weekend with DragonCon = 65,000 coming in
Atlanta on a weekend full of festivals, concerts ....
and
Atlanta on a Friday .......

You need to do everything you can to avoid Atlanta on Friday between noon to 7 pm. DH is leaving Friday too heading south ... and leaving before noon. I will often try to clear the city on a Friday afternoon to FL (haha, maybe next week so I can have a full Saturday at Disney) where I pick up my DS at 2:30 and we head straight into the beast. Minutes can alter our trip drastically to where I'll pick him up early at 2 to get ahead on a normal Friday.

- Leave as early as possible.
- Don't stop unnecessarily to delay entering and leaving the beast.
- Make sure you have gas before getting in to town in case you are parked on the highway.
- The Eagles Landing express lanes are glorious, I use my Sunpass, I think also NC Pass works.
- IF you choose downtown use the HOV lanes (am guessing you are not alone).
- Downtown likely going to be a cluster, especially with the Football and DragonCon folks arriving.
- IF coming down I-75 I'd likely take 285 West around past the airport and then get on I-75.
- Watch your mobile map apps for any accidents or closures, but otherwise don't get off and try to beat the traffic, it inevitably fails.

You already know what the AL route will cost you ... assuming no issues. You might get lucky with the Atlanta route and there are options so I would likely stick with that leaving as early as you can.

May the force be with you!

This is great information! Wow definitely sounds like a BAD weekend.

I’ll be taking a long look at how we can do this or go through AL.

Thank you all!

I am from the Chattanooga area, and personally.....you couldn't pay me enough to be in Atlanta at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon. In fact, it's been a while since we've driven to FL, just for that reason. It's worth the money to just fly and not have to worry about Atlanta traffic. In April, we ended up having to come home earlier than anticipated from Disney due to sickness and therefore had to drive home. We came through Atlanta at midnight......and still was in stand still traffic. It's crazy all the time now it seems. If that's the way you choose, just pack some patience :scratchin

I second HopperFan's excellent post. The only exception I would have is using the I-285 bypass. It is the truck route and if anyone stubs their toe at all the backups are monumental. We live in Cartersville, just north of Atlanta, and are often pulling a 38 foot trailer to Florida (or Tybee Island - our next stop) and I still take I-75.

Emphasizing one point HopperFan made - following your GPS off the highway almost always is slower or worse. The ONLY exception is an interstate closure. Smile, look at the pretty buildings and the crazy ATL drivers. Enjoy yourself and remember where you are going - you'll get there!

I will be traveling from NE Alabama on Saturday. Normally we drive to Atlanta and head down 75. I have decided this time to travel an alternate route through Alabama and across southwest Georgia. I just think Atlanta will be messy Saturday as well. Google maps tells me the travel time will be the same and the miles slightly less. I'm deciding between 65 south to Montgomery then 231 South through Dothan until I hit I-10 or travel to Birmingham then east on Hwy 280 to Columbus, Ga to 82E to I-75. Just got to make it to AKL in time to watch the Alabama game!

I will be traveling from NE Alabama on Saturday. Normally we drive to Atlanta and head down 75. I have decided this time to travel an alternate route through Alabama and across southwest Georgia. I just think Atlanta will be messy Saturday as well. Google maps tells me the travel time will be the same and the miles slightly less. I'm deciding between 65 south to Montgomery then 231 South through Dothan until I hit I-10 or travel to Birmingham then east on Hwy 280 to Columbus, Ga to 82E to I-75. Just got to make it to AKL in time to watch the Alabama game!

We’ve decided to leave Thursday evening from Northern Illinois. Leaving after work on Thursday and getting several hours in should help in general for Friday. We are also going to travel through Alabama now. Without traffic it’s 90 minutes longer but 90 driving is better than 90 bumper to bumper.

Is 231 good traveling? That’s the route I’m looking at.

We don’t check in till Saturday so we might detour to the coast for a swim depending on how Friday goes.

Headed down from Atlanta as well (we are in Gwinnett north of the city). I am actually driving parallel to 75 and catching it just south of Macon to avoid it. Its about an hour out of the way but will probably save 3.

Unfortunately I am a teacher and not allowed to take personal days before a holiday break.

We’ve decided to leave Thursday evening from Northern Illinois. Leaving after work on Thursday and getting several hours in should help in general for Friday. We are also going to travel through Alabama now. Without traffic it’s 90 minutes longer but 90 driving is better than 90 bumper to bumper.

Is 231 good traveling? That’s the route I’m looking at.

We don’t check in till Saturday so we might detour to the coast for a swim depending on how Friday goes.

I have a co-worker in Birmingham who drives 231 to Dothan weekly. I know she says it takes her about 3 hours from leaving just south of Birmingham on 65 through Montgomery to 231 to Dothan. I will ask her tomorrow a little more detail about the drive and pass along any insights she may have.

I have a co-worker in Birmingham who drives 231 to Dothan weekly. I know she says it takes her about 3 hours from leaving just south of Birmingham on 65 through Montgomery to 231 to Dothan. I will ask her tomorrow a little more detail about the drive and pass along any insights she may have.
That’d be wonderful, thank you.

I am from the Chattanooga area, and personally.....you couldn't pay me enough to be in Atlanta at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon. In fact, it's been a while since we've driven to FL, just for that reason. It's worth the money to just fly and not have to worry about Atlanta traffic. In April, we ended up having to come home earlier than anticipated from Disney due to sickness and therefore had to drive home. We came through Atlanta at midnight......and still was in stand still traffic. It's crazy all the time now it seems. If that's the way you choose, just pack some patience :scratchin
That is the truth.

Just saw this ... :scared1: DS2 is headed to DragonCon tomorrow, leaving house at 7 am.

Triple Team Traffic‏ @WSBTraffic 59 seconds ago
Triple Team Traffic Retweeted WSB-TV

700,000 people means HEAVY traffic downtown! make sure you have the WSB Triple Team Traffic Alerts app downloaded and ready to go!

I know ChimneyJim is probably already on the road but if you read this, I talked to my co-worker. She says no current construction or known delays on 231 south from Montgomery through Dothan. She reminded me it is all four lane road between the two towns also.

Safe travels to all my fellow DISers this weekend. Hope everyone has a fantastic trip.

Just to add...talking to a coworker of mine (here north of Atlanta). She said they left for Disney after she got off of work last Labor Day weekend, left Atlanta around 5PMish and got to their resort at 4AM!!! Its about a 7 hour drive normally for us...

If you're coming into ATL on I-20, look at alternate Google routes to bypass ATL on the south end. Nice back roads and often faster.

I know ChimneyJim is probably already on the road but if you read this, I talked to my co-worker. She says no current construction or known delays on 231 south from Montgomery through Dothan. She reminded me it is all four lane road between the two towns also.

Safe travels to all my fellow DISers this weekend. Hope everyone has a fantastic trip.
We took 231. Worked out well. A little slow getting to it in Montgomery and Dothan has pretty stout backups but otherwise it was a good drive.

Thanks!

We took 231. Worked out well. A little slow getting to it in Montgomery and Dothan has pretty stout backups but otherwise it was a good drive.

Thanks!
We were in Montgomery yesterday and it seems that we passed a large number of fender benders.

Traffic (actual number of cars) wasn't bad. It was the people following too close, hitting the car in front of them, causing the back ups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter