Atkins and a Maint. Plan

Tiiiigergirl

<font color=red>Had to be rolled out of the restau
I have a SIL who is doing a low carb diet. In my opinion she did not ever need to lose any weight but maybe she felt she needed to lose a few pounds. She now looks like someone who has been living in a concentration camp. She must wear a size zero and she is about 5'6 or so. She no longer looks healthy but continues to eat no carbs or very few carbs at all. Is there a point on that plan where you are supposed to go on a Maint plan of some kind? I'm concerned about her. She looks terrible and sickly not healthy and trim. Any ideas from those who follow that program?

I'm not on Atkins, but I've read the book a few times, and I'm on a program that limits certain carbs. I also know a few people on Atkins, including a former nurse.

I hope your SIL isn't trying to make her own Atkins diet...I know if it's followed properly it works and people remain healthy (in fact, in most cases, things like blood pressure and cholesterol improve). However, I also know one person who started out on Atkins, but decided that because he cheated so much he'd prolong the induction period, and he ended up in the hospital with a swollen colon! (In other words, I think he was "backed-up" because of the lack of fiber.)

It sounds like your SIL is way past the point that she should've started reintroducing carbs into her system!

Eating disorders can occur with any eating plan. Some of what you are describing... sounds like an indivdual who may have some serious self perception/control issues.

Low carb is just that - LOW carb... not NO carb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter