Atkins 20

I haven't used Atkins, or paleo, or any of the other "named" nutrition plans that come and go. So I won't pretend to know every last thing about Atkins, but being into bodybuilding/nutrition I do pay attention to nutrition. To take a cliché, I'll agree to disagree with some points.

There are different ways to "shock" a body out of it's current state. I do it from time to time. But I certainly won't do it with full fat mayo or other such things. For me, it's simply adding more of the base foods I already eat. Spiking my calories without really altering the macro balance, works just fine, and does the same for most people. I just don't see where going on a binge of unhealthy foods, even for a few weeks, is going to serve a weight loss purpose. I'll do that binge when in WDW, but I promise it's not with the intent to lose weight. :teeth:

I guess it depends on how you're looking at the word "diet", which I'm not a fan of that word anyway. If you're one and only goal is simple weight loss, than nuts can take up a lot of your daily calorie intake. I agree there. They're calorie dense. However, they're packed with lots of good things your body uses...protein and non-saturated fats most specifically. They're a staple food of people into bodybuilding.

Comparing fruits to eating a sugar sweetened food is simply a huge myth. Yes, fruits are sugars, but they're quite different than a sugar sweetened drink or food. Sorry, but comparing an apple to a cup of Apple Jacks is silly. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with eating fruit. They're a carb, and you should count them into your macros, but a natural sugar is far different than a processed food sugar. It's simply not true that eating fruit isn't healthy. I suppose if you ate 6lbs of grapes daily, it may not be the best, but I really doubt anyone does. Same holds for veggies, all of them. They're a very good source of nutrition. Show me an overweight person who got that way by eating fruits and veggies, I'll bet you'd have a really hard time finding any.

Some low cal things, or low fat, or whatever, do contain other products that may not be desirable. That's why you'd want to check labels...look at macros, ingredients, etc... In general, I agree with the idea that "whole" foods are more desirable than processed. No question about it.

At the end of the day, I think it's fantastic that people want to take control of their health and weight. It's something my wife and I are both passionate about. I just don't think these named diets that encourage some unusual eating habits, as well as pushing their own brand products, are necessary. I've been highly successful without any of that, my wife even more so, and I know plenty of others who have had tons of success just using common sense.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, I think it's fantastic that people want to take control of their health and weight. It's something my wife and I are both passionate about. I just don't think these named diets that encourage some unusual eating habits, as well as pushing their own brand products, are necessary. I've been highly successful without any of that, my wife even more so, and I know plenty of others who have had tons of success just using common sense.

There isn't one way that works, there can be many.
I don't do named diets, or buy named products, and I eat plenty of nuts ;) and use common sense in my eating. There is no unusual eating habits here
I have been very successful eating low-carb, my dd has been very successful eating that way too. My dh did follow it but found it didn't work for him, and now he just in conscious of his carb intake but not strict about it. Point is, there are many ways one can lose weight, and because something works for you doesn't mean what works for someone else is unhealthy. A bodybuilder is going to eat differently than a 40 something homemaker whose idea of weight lifting is getting the 40lb cat litter box into the shopping cart.

There isn't one way that works, there can be many.
I don't do named diets, or buy named products, and I eat plenty of nuts ;) and use common sense in my eating. There is no unusual eating habits here
I have been very successful eating low-carb, my dd has been very successful eating that way too. My dh did follow it but found it didn't work for him, and now he just in conscious of his carb intake but not strict about it. Point is, there are many ways one can lose weight, and because something works for you doesn't mean what works for someone else is unhealthy. A bodybuilder is going to eat differently than a 40 something homemaker whose idea of weight lifting is getting the 40lb cat litter box into the shopping cart.

I absolutely agree 100%. There isn't just one way that works. Didn't mean to imply there was, sorry if it came off that way. In fact, that's one of the things that frustrate me about some of the named nutrition plans, whether it's Atkins, Jenny Craig, etc... While they all encourage people to do the right thing, which is great, they also push that their way is THE way and buying their products is the way to go. I don't agree with that.

I also completely agree that in general, a low-carb nutrition plan is the way to go. There is nothing wrong with carbs, your body needs them as a fuel source. It's just the amount the people eat that can get them in trouble (medical issues aside). And of course, different goals are going to have different nutrition needs. Regardless of the specific goals, there are still principals of nutrition that will apply across the board. How you utilize them will vary.

LOL on the cat litter box. I feel the same way sometimes lifting the Costco size bag of dog food for our 75lb dog. Many grocery stores now have employees who not only bag your food but will take your cart to your car and load it for you. I sometimes laugh because it's often a 17 year old high school student who weighs 95lbs soaking wet. I politely decline the offer, but can only imagine the poor boy trying to load that cat litter into the back of a high up SUV or pick up...

I started this thread over on WISH but haven't received any responses. Anybody here able to help?

I'm not seeing any current threads referring to the Atkins diet and I'd love some input from others that have used it. I'm looking to go down 20lbs, in order to avoid treatment for sleep apnea and to give myself a "cushion" against the inevitable weight-gain I will incur when I quit smoking. (I recently aborted a quit attempt as I went cold-turkey with no cheats and gained almost 6lbs in 3 weeks. :scared: )

I'm presently on Day 6 of Induction and am a very pass/fail person so I've not cheated but I am having a hard time because I didn't start out very intentionally. I did no menu planning or shopping and have just been trying to make it fly on what I already had around the house, although I did purchase some Atkins shakes for having at work. So far I've lost 2 or 3 lbs but I was expecting to dump more water-weight and feel less puffy. That doesn't seem to have happened.

Right now I am very hungry - all the time, and although I don't perceive a craving for junk, I would practically kill for condiments or some fruit. I am definitely intending to do some shopping this weekend and get some menus planned and perhaps do up some recipes to have prepared food on-hand so I can eat immediately when I feel the need.

Anyone with any advice/experience or just would like to converse, I thank you in advance. :wave2:

Okay.... here goes. I'll try to be brief, but I understand if this ends up a long "TLDR" type of post.

First of all.... I personally would say give the quitting smoking a few weeks BEFORE trying to change the eating habits. The smoking is much worse for your health. But that is JMHO.

Secondly.... it seems that you sort of set yourself up for failure by doing no planning or shopping. But you can definitely jump into more planning now that you have started.

Third..... and I know I'm repeating what someone else said, but you shouldn't be hungry. I've done a lot of dieting in my life, including Atkins (but had the most success with Weight Watchers.... lost 86 pounds and kept it off for the past 8 years and I now work as a leader and 24/7 chat coach), but if you are hungry, you will NOT stick with the plan... no matter what the plan is. Atkins doesn't really require any portion control (other than items that have a carb count like fruit), so you should NOT be hungry.... you can go eat more cheese, more eggs, more nuts, more broccoli, etc, etc. And what kind of condiments are you craving? So many of them are okay on Atkins induction phase.... mustard, mayonnaise, many salad dressings, butter, oil, etc.

I think that making some meals to have on-hand is a great idea! I love myself when I have gone to the trouble of making up a batch of chili or soup or a meatloaf and put it in the freezer for another day!

My DH has had some varying degrees of success on Atkins over the course of the past 8 years. Personally, seeing the eating plan "in action" under my own roof for this many years, I would not be in a place to highly recommend it, but it obviously works for some people. Two of my big gripes with it is that it doesn't teach any sort of PORTION CONTROL.... and secondly it doesn't address the key issues (physical, emotional, mental, etc) associated with the reasons WHY we overeat.

My recommendations after being the chief cook and shopper for an Atkins-style eater for the past 8 years.... 1. Don't bring it in the house (if the chips/cookies/pizza/pretzels aren't there, it is harder to fall off the wagon during a weak moment).

2. Find a bread-alternative for when those "needs" for a bread product crop up (lettuce wraps don't always cut it). We use the Joseph's flax seed and oat bran lavash wraps.... they are tasty and real "bread" tasting. I use them because they are a nice "light" bread alternative for my WW lifestyle and DH likes them because they are a good substitute for real bread.

3. Figure out a few "go-to" quick meals for when life gets crazy busy and try to keep the ingredients for those meals on hand at all time. DH has discovered he really likes canned sardines.... so we keep those, nuts, cheese, and Atkins bars in the cupboard all the time.

Good luck!.........P

Okay.... here goes. I'll try to be brief, but I understand if this ends up a long "TLDR" type of post.

First of all.... I personally would say give the quitting smoking a few weeks BEFORE trying to change the eating habits. The smoking is much worse for your health. But that is JMHO.
I certainly can't logically disagree with this advice, but for me there was simply NO WAY to keep myself motivated to quit as I watched the scale creep up.

Secondly.... it seems that you sort of set yourself up for failure by doing no planning or shopping. But you can definitely jump into more planning now that you have started.
100% correct and I recognized that pretty quickly. I shopped over the weekend for nothing but induction-approved foods and have found it quite a bit easier since then.

Third..... and I know I'm repeating what someone else said, but you shouldn't be hungry. I've done a lot of dieting in my life, including Atkins (but had the most success with Weight Watchers.... lost 86 pounds and kept it off for the past 8 years and I now work as a leader and 24/7 chat coach), but if you are hungry, you will NOT stick with the plan... no matter what the plan is. Atkins doesn't really require any portion control (other than items that have a carb count like fruit), so you should NOT be hungry.... you can go eat more cheese, more eggs, more nuts, more broccoli, etc, etc. And what kind of condiments are you craving? So many of them are okay on Atkins induction phase.... mustard, mayonnaise, many salad dressings, butter, oil, etc.
I have never tried reducing before in my entire life nor have I tried restricting any particular food groups. I was absolutely STARVING first week but so completely bored with the induction-approved foods I had on hand, I simply couldn't make myself eat enough of them to feel full. Another poster mentioned I was probably doing too few calories and that was very helpful because there were a couple of the days I didn't get up to 1,000. I was also super-strict, so I didn't use any salad dressing that had sugar on the label whatsoever, which actually left me with nothing. I don't like mustard or mayonnaise; I love sweet/savory/sharp flavours together so that's the kind of stuff I'm missing (ketchup, asian sesame, sweet chili, etc.).

I think that making some meals to have on-hand is a great idea! I love myself when I have gone to the trouble of making up a batch of chili or soup or a meatloaf and put it in the freezer for another day!
I'm definitely going to do some soup up for the next work week, and since I'll be out of induction, I think I'll do much better being able to have limited amounts of "grab and go" foods like berries and cottage cheese.

My DH has had some varying degrees of success on Atkins over the course of the past 8 years. Personally, seeing the eating plan "in action" under my own roof for this many years, I would not be in a place to highly recommend it, but it obviously works for some people. Two of my big gripes with it is that it doesn't teach any sort of PORTION CONTROL.... and secondly it doesn't address the key issues (physical, emotional, mental, etc) associated with the reasons WHY we overeat.
I guess not having to limit portions or count calories is what made Atkins attractive to me (well, that and not having to pay for anything). My 20lbs., which I've gained over the years is a result of unintentional eating and lack of activity due to working long hours and being busy socially. I've never been a binge or comfort eater, luckily. Mindfulness and discipline is what I'm looking to develop and to not head into quitting smoking and full-blown menopause already behind the curve. Quite frankly, if I remained at my top weight - 168lbs, I could probably have lived with it, since I've lived with it so long anyway. But weight-gain beyond that for any reason is simply intolerable.

My recommendations after being the chief cook and shopper for an Atkins-style eater for the past 8 years.... 1. Don't bring it in the house (if the chips/cookies/pizza/pretzels aren't there, it is harder to fall off the wagon during a weak moment).
Not a super-big issue for me; I haven't really been craving any of those things, although I do like them well enough. And it's easier to ignore them here at home that it is when we're out. Enjoying food with friends is a huge part of our community and social life. Weird but what I'd actually kill for is fruit and some mashed potatoes. I did up a batch of mashed cauliflower with swiss cheese which is fine, but certainly no real substitute {{sigh}}.

2. Find a bread-alternative for when those "needs" for a bread product crop up (lettuce wraps don't always cut it). We use the Joseph's flax seed and oat bran lavash wraps.... they are tasty and real "bread" tasting. I use them because they are a nice "light" bread alternative for my WW lifestyle and DH likes them because they are a good substitute for real bread.
Praise the Lord for the 1-minute-muffin. I made one for the first time yesterday and felt my entire world rock!

3. Figure out a few "go-to" quick meals for when life gets crazy busy and try to keep the ingredients for those meals on hand at all time. DH has discovered he really likes canned sardines.... so we keep those, nuts, cheese, and Atkins bars in the cupboard all the time.
This is certainly going to be the key to success for me. It will be ever so much easier to do with the added flexibility of Phase 2.
Good luck!.........P
I'm on day 10 of Induction and am down about 5lbs. Although I didn't experience the dramatic water-weight loss I was hoping for, I guess 5 isn't bad.
Thanks SO much for all your input. I really appreciated it. I hope my response (see above in red) didn't end up being TLDR for you!!! :wave2:

There is a lot of research about how it's actually sugar that makes us fat and not fat and how fat has actually gotten a bad wrap. Atkins has been around for 40 years and research has shown that it works. And one of the things about low carb is that it's also low sugar. So maybe science and medicine are starting to catch up.

There is a lot of research about how it's actually sugar that makes us fat and not fat and how fat has actually gotten a bad wrap. Atkins has been around for 40 years and research has shown that it works. And one of the things about low carb is that it's also low sugar. So maybe science and medicine are starting to catch up.
Maybe. And whether or not it's coincidence, my "trick knee" has stopped bothering me since I've been 100% gluten free and waaaaay down on my sugar intake.

As a great man once said "the problem with fat is that it has the word "fat" in it".....

Five pounds in 10 days is GREAT! You've lost 25% of the weight you are hoping to lose!! :banana:
:scared1: I never thought of it that way - you're right!! Too bad it hasn't really changed my size or shape yet.

If you've lost 5 lbs in 10 days, that's phenomenal!!! Be proud of it. Maybe it hasn't changed your shape yet, but remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Just like a person can't gain 50lbs overnight, you can't lose 50lbs (or whatever the goal is) overnight either. Take pictures of yourself on Oct 1st, then again on Nov 1st. By New Years, you'll be amazed at the difference...and New Years will be here before you know it. Keep it up!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter