Athens or Madison or Huntsville, Alabama

mickeyplanner08

DIS Veteran
Anyone from the area? DH is VERY tentatively looking at a job in the area. Wondering about schools, neighborhoods, and really everything. Anyone care to help me out?

I don't know much, but I think Huntsville is a pretty booming area. If I'm thinking right, you'll find lots of very educated people there, good schools, and it's growing at a rapid pace.

I don't get up to that part of the state much, though. What kind of work does your DH do?

I don't know much, but I think Huntsville is a pretty booming area. If I'm thinking right, you'll find lots of very educated people there, good schools, and it's growing at a rapid pace.

I don't get up to that part of the state much, though. What kind of work does your DH do?

He's looking at a HR position. It's daunting to look at a move with teenagers, and they are not 100% on board. Leaving the comfort zone is tough for anyone, but it is especially hard if you are looking at starting high school.

We're attempting to throw in annual passes to Disney to sweeten the deal. :rotfl:

This area is one of the most diverse areas in Alabama. There are a lot of government/military/defense related jobs in the the Huntsville area. Also, tons of engineering jobs. Most people live in Madison if you want the suburban feel. Huntsville and Madison border each other. There is plenty of shopping, a few attractions (space and rocket center, sci-quest, constitution hall to name a few) and parks for hiking, camping, etc. Huntsville has a few festivals throughout the year like Panoply

The weather is pretty nice year round. You are a reasonable drive to some other cities - Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, Chattanooga.

Athens is a few miles out, but not a bad commute by any means. You will find more of a small-town feel in Athens. Neighborhoods with plenty of land and no HOA and that type of thing. Although, the neighborhoods that border Madison, some with a Madison address, but are actually located in Limestone Co, are more like planned neighborhoods.

Housing and property taxes are some of the lowest in the nation.

As for schools, Madison and Athens tend to be perceived as having better systems. I have no personal experience with the schools. As for colleges, you have UAH and AAMU.

My husband is stepping out of his comfort zone, too. The adventure sounds like fun, until you start looking at selling a house, changing schools, giving up comfy jobs. Cross country moves are not for the faint of heart. I don't know that we will really do it, but the DIS draws from such a broad audience that I figured someone might have some insight.

Lived in Hunstville for about three years when I was in high school and still go back on occasion. I personally like the area. Probably the biggest disadvantage is that it takes anywhere from an hour and half-two hours to get to the nearest major airport. Huntsville has its own airport but its your typical small town airport.

As for schools. I know Huntsville has a lot of different variety of schools. And not just your typical garden variety. I went to a technology school for about three years before I ended up switching due to problems with the principle. Good school though. I think they got rid of the principal and they have since move buildings. They also have some interesting things in their younger schools. I went to ASFL when I was briefly living their for a time in sixth grade. Which specializes in languages alongside its regular classes.

Probably the biggest disadvantage is that it takes anywhere from an hour and half-two hours to get to the nearest major airport. Huntsville has its own airport but its your typical small town airport.

Not as many flights as Birmingham or Atlanta, but, they have daily flights to a lot places now - Orlando, DC, Chicago, Charlotte to name a few.

Bumping this up one more time. DH met with the director for this position today, and we are going to continue to explore this option. Would still love to hear from anyone else.

Huntsville preferably the Blossomwood area or any area that feeds into Huntsville Middle or Huntsville High. Great schools and the area is beautiful. Madison is nice but very transient because many of the Redstone people live there. Plus the houses are not as charming as some areas in Huntsville like Blossomwood and Jones Valley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter