• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At Windsor Hills now

snowbunny

DIS Veteran
Hi people, I'm posting from a 3BR Windsor Hills townhome. This is our first time at WH.

First I will say the townhouse is very nice. The owner called yesterday to make sure everything was copacetic. It is great to have room to spread out. Nice to have multiple TVs, playstation, and so forth. The clubhouse is beautiful, although (like most places I suppose) yesterday it was a zoo - 90 degrees and 100% humidity will do that to a pool area.

So I would say WH is a good value for the money. Less expensive than a moderate room on property for lots more space, saves money on food etc. to not dine out every meal, etc. The Sherbeth Rd. shortcut is very handy.

However, I am going to buck the trend here and say that I'm not sure we would do it again. If money was no object (which it is for most of us including me), I would rather be in a 2BR villa at the Boardwalk or Wildnerness Lodge. We're not even doing parks this time, we are here for another event, so I didn't worry about having to be "in" the magic, but you know what? I miss it :confused3

I dropped off my DD at her event this morning and then walked around the resort (Coronado Springs) before coming back to WH. I was thinking how beautiful it is there, and what a great time we had last fall at Boardwalk Villas. Then I drove back down 192 toward Walmart to buy some washcloths (I guess our owners don't use them) and just thought, yuck, this is horrible.

Of course I realize that the sprawl is the direct and inevitable result of Disney. But I guess if I'm going to be down here, I'd rather stick my head in the sand and stay on property when I can afford it. Just MHO :)

I'm glad your town house is nice. I know exactly what you mean about not being on property though. Every year we say we're going to try something new and not stay on Disney and every year I chicken out and book Disney. I just don't know if it would be the same staying anywhere else. Before our kids were born we stayed at other places and did other things, but w/ the kids here now, it seems like staying on Disney property and being immersed in the Magic 24/7 is something we have to do.
I think if I had to go on property and then leave I probably would cry.:sad1:
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

Hi people, I'm posting from a 3BR Windsor Hills townhome. This is our first time at WH.

... Then I drove back down 192 toward Walmart to buy some washcloths (I guess our owners don't use them) and just thought, yuck, this is horrible.

Of course I realize that the sprawl is the direct and inevitable result of Disney. But I guess if I'm going to be down here, I'd rather stick my head in the sand and stay on property when I can afford it. Just MHO :)

I do hope you manage to enjoy your stay. I know it's not for everyone, but we love the condos/townhomes!

Having said that... Can any owners chime in and share what the deal is with not having adequate washcloths and hand towels? In most of the places we've stayed there are either few or no washcloths and hand towels. I just don't get it! :confused3 I've added them to my packing list, but it sure seems like these should be part of the basic items included with the place!

Mareed

All of the homes are individually owned. Why they would not have adequate towels is also beyond me. Not all of the homes are used by their owners I would guess so they have no idea what is needed. It is neglgent on the owners part if you ask me.

When renting ask about the linens. Most of the websites will give a list of amenities. Be able to ask for additional linens from the man/co. They should be provided they are not an extra if the house states linens provided.

snowbunny

Off site is not for every one. Having tried it now you know how to plan your future vacations. Hope all goes well for the rest of your vacation.

As an owner, I speak for myself and if I maybe so bold for a lot of other owners that I know, owners try very hard to make sure that their homes are all of a high standard and are not negligent at all in their maintainence.

We all pay hefty monthly management charges to ensure that our homes ARE all looked after properly. If there is anything wrong in any of my homes or if something gets broken, I always have it replaced with new (as do many other owners).

I would be happy to charge my guests twice the rates I currently charge and supply all the towels and linens they need all day long because if I charge twice the current rates (as most of the Disney hotels do and more), I can afford to replenish supplies.

Having adequate towels and washcloths is NOT just a nice amenity, it's a county code hotel operator's license REQUIREMENT! (Note to other homeowners, pay attention!!) If you are found to be lacking adequate towels, washcloths, hand towels, linens, the county inspectors can and do levy steep fines!! And..they do inspect...that's why we're all forced to buy a hotel operator's license..

That being said, there's simply no acceptable excuse for a home not having enough of these, period. If the home you rent is missing adequate supplies call your homeowner or management company immediately and request that they be provided, it's a requirement, not optional!! (Most homeowners probably aren't aware of the county code though and don't know this).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1505471

Thanks for the comments, I hope I didn't sound too negative as we are indeed having a good time.

The townhouse is clean and quite well stocked (with a bit of creative use of pots and pans). The lack of washcloths is the only problem, and it would have been no problem to pack a few had it occurred to me they might not be here. When I get home I'll drop my owner a line about it.

I think for people going the offsite route, this is a great choice. I'm sort of surprised at myself frankly for missing being on property, I didn't expect to.

I think for people going the offsite route, this is a great choice. I'm sort of surprised at myself frankly for missing being on property, I didn't expect to.

Different folks want different options! We used to stay onsite, but found ourselves 'Disneyed out' after a few days and now we prefer offsite.

Snowbunny

We all have different ideas of what we want in our vacations. It was not negative at all its just your thoughts on the experience.

For me I would go mad with allof us in one room or even 2. After having all the room and privacy I could so not give it up.

Thanks for the comments, I hope I didn't sound too negative as we are indeed having a good time.

The townhouse is clean and quite well stocked (with a bit of creative use of pots and pans). The lack of washcloths is the only problem, and it would have been no problem to pack a few had it occurred to me they might not be here. When I get home I'll drop my owner a line about it.

You don't sound negative at all! And I agree that the landscaping we can get used to at a WDW moderate or deluxe resort is missing at Windsor Hills and the other offsite neighborhoods, where the builders are more interested in getting as many homes and condos on a parcel as possible. Even though owners in these newer developments have planted a few trees and shrubs, it does not compare to walking around a beautiful WDW resort.

I agree the WH pool area could use another lifeguard, although the worst zoo like experience we ever had at an Orlando pool was at the WL.

Hope you can still have a wonderful time!

PS. It's funny, but the vast majority of people who visit Orlando do NOT actually stay onsite (there are -- what -- 23 hotels on WDW property, and maybe a few hundred offsite hotels and short term rental neghborhoods?), although you'd never realize that by hanging out on the DIS!

Snowbunny,

You should have mentioned the washcloth (and any other issue) to the owner when they called if you had already noticed the problem or called them or the MC. Like 5mins2disney said, all the short-term rentals are supposed to be licensed and comply with FL laws which govern rental properties.

I'm with Isla Bonita on the space issue. Especially as our four children got older, staying in a hotel room, or even two, for more than one night or so just made us all miserable.

Of course, if money were truly no object, I also hear that there's a Presidential Suite at GF that we would all probably be able to rough it in for a week or so. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. However, I know what you mean about the towels, we've had that problem every time we stayed in a rental. I still would rather stay offsite, I love the space and I love Windsor Hills.

I plan to bring towels from home or purchase new ones for our upcoming WH stay. The last condo we rented had a couple very dingy face towels, the management company did come replace them all with new ones once I called the owner and complained. Owners are not usually aware of these things, this is why it's very important to always bring issues like this to there attention to get it taken care of asap.

5mins2disney- I am wondering if the Hotel License require owners to use a commercial type detergent to wash linens and towels, or something similar to what is used in Hospitals and Hotels? I find it kinda gross to use towels that everyone else has used that has just been washed in regular detergent, I don't think thats sanitary. I have also stayed in places that had a stained towel here and there, gross!

5mins2disney- I am wondering if the Hotel License require owners to use a commercial type detergent to wash linens and towels, or something similar to what is used in Hospitals and Hotels? I find it kinda gross to use towels that everyone else has used that has just been washed in regular detergent, I don't think thats sanitary. I have also stayed in places that had a stained towel here and there, gross!

Not that I know of, but I don't think the commercial soap detergent is any different really than the stuff you use in terms of being sanitary. Stained towels are definitely gross though! I'm actually surprised how many people here are saying their rental homes are short on towels...you should definitely let the MCs and owners know about this! We go overboard on the other side of the equation...we must have at least 4 sets in every bathroom! (I told DW she's going a little nuts at the linens store! LOL)

Not that I know of, but I don't think the commercial soap detergent is any different really than the stuff you use in terms of being sanitary. Stained towels are definitely gross though! I'm actually surprised how many people here are saying their rental homes are short on towels...you should definitely let the MCs and owners know about this! We go overboard on the other side of the equation...we must have at least 4 sets in every bathroom! (I told DW she's going a little nuts at the linens store! LOL)

When I stayed at the Terre Verde townhome, I had towels coming out of my ears. There were at least 10 towels under each bathroom sink in each of the 3 bathrooms. And then the linen closet was full of them.

They were all very nice towels too. They were obviously not brand new but were very soft and plush.

When I stayed at the Terre Verde townhome, I had towels coming out of my ears. There were at least 10 towels under each bathroom sink in each of the 3 bathrooms. And then the linen closet was full of them.

They were all very nice towels too. They were obviously not brand new but were very soft and plush.

Christine

That is how I think it should be.

These homes are advertised as fully equiped. The least they should have is the basics.

I've been researching a trip to the United Kingdom and I read on there that if the Bed and Breakfasts have washcloths, they cater to Americans. If not washcloths, they cater to locals. I guess they don't use washcloths in the UK? I don't know as I have never been there, but that is the way they made it sound.

Don't a lot of UK people own townhomes, etc. and rent them out at WDW? Maybe that is why there are lots of places that lack washcloths?

I don't know, just throwing that idea out there.

Maggie

I'd heard about the lack of washcloths being a UK thing and expected it as a possibility, but the last few times we've rented have been from U.S. owners. :confused3 I have called the management company a couple of different times with varying results. One time, they brought over exactly what we requested in the way of missing towels. They were the cheapest available from Wal-Mart, so I don't expect they'd hold up very well long-term, but they did the job for us. Another time, we specifically need hand-towels - only one was there for 3 bathrooms. They brought more regular sized bath-towels, and smaller bath towels (you know how there are different sizes, but they're all bath towels?). So, we still had no hand-towels to hang on the towel-holder or just place on the counter for drying hands. We did end up using the smaller bath towels for this purpose, but I couldn't help but think "What part of hand-towel don't you understand?!" Oh, and these were also the same cheapest Wal-Mart brand again.

The most recent place we stayed with the towel problem had just been sold to a new owner, and I did let the new owners know about the issue with shortage of towels. We were also missing a shower curtain liner in one of the bathrooms! :scared1: We discovered it on a weekend when we had another guest arriving who would be using that bedroom/bathroom, so we went to Walgreen's and purchased a very cheap one (about $4). Once again, extremely low quality and I'm sure it won't last long. My guess is that the older one had been old and mildewed and the previous owners removed it when the place was up for sale to make it look better.

With the good prices we get on these places, I just accept some things like this and the money I spend to make our stay comfortable part of the accomodations cost. But, it sure would be nice if places were stocked better. Maybe I should stick with our DIS owners and then I wouldn't have these problems! :goodvibes

The WH villa we stayed in recently and reviewed http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=19254992 is owned by a UK family and managed by transplant Brits as well, but there were plenty of bath towels, washcloths, 8 big pool towels, etc. Sounds more like good ol'fashioned attention to detail and economics. I really don't think there is a cultural gap in play, though our villa did have an actual tea pot. ;)

I'm back and finally getting organized a little bit, mountains of laundry done etc.

On balance I think our townhouse was a very good deal. There really were plenty of bath towels, hand towels, pool towels - tons of them. Just no washcloths (fyi our owner lives in the U.S.). As someone mentioned, I should have said something to the owner about it when he called our first morning to check on things, and it just slipped my mind (or maybe I hadn't noticed yet, I can't remember).

Surprisingly my kids never once used the main resort pool. They were exhausted after their day and just didn't feel like treking or driving over to the clubhouse. I was sort of chagrined as I had researched all the communities so carefully to pick the one with the best pool....and they only went in the splash pool once. I asked them did they want to go over to play billiards or ping pong...nope, just wanted to chill out. So all the amenities were sort of wasted on us. But the space was great and the rates were some of the lowest I found for the townhomes.

If we decided to stay offsite another time in the future, I would stay in that unit again. But if I could afford a 2 BR on points at the Beach Club or Boardwalk, that would be ideal...

My family also rented a villa in WH in April. No washcloths there either. The place was very nice, however, no washcloths. We did the best we could without them. Upon reading the manual the owners left, it stated that as a rental villa, they did not have to comply with the code as hotels do. Basically, it seemed that we were using the towels that the guests before us had washed and left. In the book, it asked us, as guests, to please wash the towels upon departure.

I think it is a sanitary issue why they also do not leave washcloths. Now imagine using a personal washcloth that the person before you used. Washcloths that aren't washed by hotel standards. In this case, I would rather just bring my own. There is no way that they are replacing clean towels for each occupant. You are basically using towels that many have used. For sanitary reasons, I would just at least bring my own washcloth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter