At which park closing stage will they lock us out???

3floridarays

Growing older, but not up.
We booked DTD Hilton since it is the only DTD hotel that still gets EMH. We will also be purchasing annual passes for our trip. It seems that there are two different stages that apply to us (off-site and Annual Passholders) so at which stage do we get locked out if a park hits capacity? :confused3

This is copied from Allears.net:

WDW Phased Park Closings

Phase I: Guests with non-hopper-type Magic Your Way base tickets or Single Day/Single Park Tickets, guests without admission, and Cast Members using certain types of CM admission are turned away at the entrances to the parking lots.

Phase II: Disney Resort guests, Annual/Premium Annual Passholders, guests with park hopper tickets, and guests re-entering the same park on the same day are admitted, but only if they arrive using Disney resort transportation or a taxi.

Phase III: Disney Resort guests and Annual/Premium Annual passholders are admitted; however, they must arrive using Disney resort transportation.

Phase IV: The parks are closed to all incoming guests. There is no incoming transportation of any kind.

You'd be good through Phase III, but you'd need to use WDW transportation. I don't know if DTD Hilton is on the WDW bus network or not. Of course, one could always walk across the street to DTD and hop on the WDW buses. Take one to a MK-area resort and you'll be fine.

When are you going? Unless you're going during a super busy holiday like New Years Eve/Christmas/July 4th I wouldn't worry. :)

The turnstile master computer at each park keeps track of both entries and exits. When a park capacity closes (which is done in stages) there has to be a certain number of people exiting, with the total "in park" below a certain number, before they start allowing people in again.

I am low enough on the totem pole that I have no idea what these numbers are.

There are four stages to park closing:

Stage 1 - The parking lot entrance is closed. You can only access the park if you are using Disney Transportation.

Stage 2 - The ticket windows are all closed (and the automated Ticket Vending Machines are turned off). Unless you already have a ticket you cannot get in.

Stage 3 - Only people with Annual Passes or current Resort IDs will be allowed in.

Stage 4 - Nobody is allowed in.

Note - having restaurant reservations in a park, even with written proof, will not override a stage closing for you.

Also, if you are staying at a Disney owned and operated Resort and have a ticket, you are guaranteed entry into A park. Not necessarily the one you want (unless you want to go into AK). And if you have entered and left a park and do not have a hopper you may not get into anything.

Looking at the 4 closing stages I would think you would not be allowed in at stage 4, since that includes everyone no matter where they are staying or the type of passes they have. Since you have annual passes I would say you are ok if they are in stage 3.

Would I have an issue re-entering after CM lunch on SaT-DEC 19-THE day after last MVMCP-when park is open 9-11 and crowd calendar is 8?

Thanks for op's.

Thanks for all the great info! We will be there Dec 18-23, so I am mentally preparing myself for gridlock. It looks like we will be good for stage 3, and I figure if it went above that I wouldn't want to be in the park anyway.

Would I have an issue re-entering after CM lunch on SaT-DEC 19-THE day after last MVMCP-when park is open 9-11 and crowd calendar is 8?

Thanks for op's.

You should not have any problem returning on this date. The parks will be crowded during this week but not to capacity.

Thanks for all the great info! We will be there Dec 18-23, so I am mentally preparing myself for gridlock. It looks like we will be good for stage 3, and I figure if it went above that I wouldn't want to be in the park anyway.

I don't think you have to be ready for gridlock or for any of the closing stages. As far as I am aware the usual days for the closing policy are Christmas Day, NYE, and July 4th. We were at WDW in 2007 during Christmas and New Years and it was crowded (which I expected) but not that bad. On Christmas Day we were in the MK at 8am and then left around 10:30am. They had already closed the parking lot to MK when we left and at some point that day the whole park was closed. On NYE we stayed out of the parks but I heard that MK was closed due to capacity by 1pm.

Again, it will be crowded but as long as you are aware of this, you should be okay.

Would Thanksgiving Day @ MK reach a stage 3 or 4???

I'm not sure, but I think Thanksgiving Day may rank right up there in terms of crowds with Christmas/ July 4th. :)

So a stage 3 or 4 closing is a definite possibility.

Though if I'm wrong, someone will come along to correct me. ;):laughing:

I'm not sure, but I think Thanksgiving Day may rank right up there in terms of crowds with Christmas/ July 4th. :)

So a stage 3 or 4 closing is a definite possibility.

Though if I'm wrong, someone will come along to correct me. ;):laughing:
Thanksgiving Day will be very crowded, but I have never heard of them closing the parks on that day due to capacity issues.

Thanksgiving Day will be very crowded, but I have never heard of them closing the parks on that day due to capacity issues.

I don't worry about getting in as we'll be there (MK) for rope drop, have lunch adr@ Plaza and late (9:40pm) adr at the castle. We originally planned to leave for awhile after lunch & return late for dinner. Now we're afraid we might not be able to return.......thinking we may just have to spend entire day @ MK. Guess we'll just have to play it by ear, lol.

No.

You won't have gridlock Dec 18-23, nor will the park close at capacity. It has never done so that week. That week is usually crowded, but not anywhere near week-after-Christmas levels.

:earsboy:

Thanks for op's.

Be aware that crowds on Main Street will be huge in the afternoon since 12/19 is the first Christmas parade open to the public and lots of people who skip the MVMCP line up for it early. Check the parade time and work around that, or when you re-enter scoot over to the stores and walk through them down Main Street. Otherwise I have not seen that day reach a phase 4.

Be aware that crowds on Main Street will be huge in the afternoon since 12/19 is the first Christmas parade open to the public and lots of people who skip the MVMCP line up for it early. Check the parade time and work around that, or when you re-enter scoot over to the stores and walk through them down Main Street. Otherwise I have not seen that day reach a phase 4.

Gosh, I hope you're right. 12/19 is DS's birth:cheer2::cheer2:day and he has the WHOLE day planned at MK, except for Lunch @ CM. I suddenly got worried about getting back in.

Oh- And I know all about the end run through the shops. SSHH!

So funny-this year will be the first w/o stroller but with both parents in ECVS! lets see how we manage that one:eek: down a croded main Street.

I wonder if Easter time is a time where they may reach capacity...
Yes. Easter is only second to Christmas as the busiest time of the year at WDW. Easter Sunday has been known to reach capacity crowds at MK.

If you haven't been there at Christmas before, please prepare yourself for absolutely huge crowds. It usually starts to get really bad a few days before Christmas and continues to get worse as the week goes on. We've been there the week before, leaving on the 23rd and also arriving on the 28th and staying until January 4th.........I will NEVER do that one again.........we tried to go to MK on New Years Eve in the morning.......by 11:00 a.m. it was shoulder to shoulder people......I've never seen anything like it.......we left and didn't even attempt to go back to a park until the evening of the 2nd.......it was still very crowded, but, at least we could walk. My favorite time to visit is the second week of December, arriving between the 7th and 10th and departing between the 14th and 17th. However, we haven't been able to do that for several years now due to college schedules and final exams, so we've been arriving anytime from New Years Day (we don't try to go to any parks that day) to the 3rd and departing anytime from the 8th to the 11th (depending when spring semester begins)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter