At what age

I just answer questions they ask truthfully. I am not from the U.S. but was going to University there when it happened. For some reason my oldest brings it up all the time. My Dad has a firefighter tatoo with his number, birthday and what not on it. It just happens that his birthday is also 9/11. She says that he was born to be a firefighter.

It's incorporated into the 3rd grade curriculum here, however if my daughter broaches the subject before then I'll explain it to her in an age appropriate way.

I would but I am also in the media center with 2-3 and it was on the 3graders list and I belive in reading what is required of them for two reason one for recomindationds

2 if they want to ask about the book or talk about it

What list? A book list? in which case, just go with the books on the list. Or is it just a topic list? At that age, I'd think that kids would have trouble with just a topic list, so I'd ask the teacher/librarian/media person for some suggestions for each topic.

I don't think it's a topic you should be explaining to children. If they should ask, just say that you feel it is a subject that they should discuss with their parents, and leave it at that.

Mods if yiu can just shut this down the only reason that I started this thread is becuse I thought 3rd grade was a little young to bring up 9-11, but 3rd grade is not that young, and I have enough common sens not to talk to a kid about 9/11

With any big "date," I ask DD what they talked about at school that day, and if they talked about a big event, I ask her to tell me about it. This gives me the opportunity to gauge her reaction and fix any holes/inaccuracies in her version. I don't remember when they started talking about 9/11 - maybe 3rd grade, but after they talked about it at school, she had tons of questions. Since then, she has asked me to tell her about it in my words every year after school.

I like this approach because I can explain at her level, and she can ask questions without having to ask them in front of her peers. It works very well for us.

Mods if yiu can just shut this down the only reason that I started this thread is becuse I thought 3rd grade was a little young to bring up 9-11, but 3rd grade is not that young, and I have enough common sens not to talk to a kid about 9/11

I would but I am also in the media center with 2-3 and it was on the 3graders list and I belive in reading what is required of them for two reason one for recomindationds

2 if they want to ask about the book or talk about it

This was the sentence I replying to. I believe it is a subject that should be talked about with their parents. I didn't mean just you should not discuss it with them. I feel any person should defer to the parents.

I'm sorry, I don't understand why the thread should be shut down. I don't remember any hateful or rude posts. When people stop posting, it will drop, there shouldn't be a need to close the thread. If you don't want to read other responses, don't click on the thread.

:confused3My DS knew about it from when he hit school age so KDG. They do talk about it in school, at least here.

It is a part of history, so I am not surprised that it is talked about. If he has any questions, we answer them if he asks. It's nothing to really hide

Whenever they ask. It's not the question that has an age limit, it is the answer. A simple thing like... it was a day that some bad people decided that it was important to kill many innocent people to try and get us to think like they do. Would suffice and any age, but, as they progress in age then they answers can and should become much more detailed. The religious motivation, the idea that people try and force their opinions on others and the political activity and later affects of it are for someone that can understand and formulate their own ideas on the subject.

My DH is a retired volunteer fireman, so 9/11 is a day that has always been easily discussed in my house.
It's the details of that horrible day that I share depending on the age of my girls.

No particular time. 9/11 is in the history books now. Kids learn about it the same way we learned about Vietnam and JFK, or the way kids slightly younger than me (40-ish) learned about the Challenger explosion. There is a certain level of detachment because they didn't live it firsthand. My DS15 was one year old when 9/11 happened, obviously with no memory whatsoever of it. DD11 and DS9 were not born yet. They have all learned about it in school, and I have talked to them about my firsthand experience with it. They have seen the documentaries, books, and movies. It affects them as much as learning about the Nazi's in WWII or the Union/Confederate soldiers in the Civil War.

They are much, much more affected by the Boston Bombing, and especially by the Sandy Hook shootings. DS9 was the same age/grade as those little 1st graders. DS15 was in Middle School, and DD was in 3rd grade. It was all explained to them once they had to start doing "intruder" drills at school as a result of that tragedy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter