At what age no more stroller?

We walk a LOT at home, so my DD is pretty hearty in the walking dept.

In June over her 5th b-day, we did not use our stroller at all at Hollywood Studios. Parked it out of the way at rope drop and went back for it when we left the park. Used it very little at MK, and at least once we left it VERY VERY inconveniently parked - nearly got cut off by the afternoon parade trying to retrieve it so we could leave the park. Could not do Epcot without a stroller - would absolutely rent one there if we did not take our own. We do a lot of backtracking for fastpasses at AK. Might have been able to do without it at AK but we definitely used it all day there.

Even when we don't use the stroller much in the park, I think my DD especially appreciates having a "ride" back to the car. We bring our own because we have one we like that is easy to travel with, and my dd is light for her age so well within the weight limit of the stroller. We will be bringing our stroller again next trip when my dd will be nearly 6 and my niece will be 7.5. My guess is that my niece will use it more. This happened 2 years ago we had a double stroller and when we split up, my 3 yr old walked and her 5 yr old cousin rode. My dd loves to be active, doesn't mind walking at all. We normally travel over spring break and could probably do without a stroller but last trip in the heat of June, she really appreciated having the luxury of her own stroller.

We are taking our double for the boys and a single for our 4 year old.

My oldest has a condition with her legs so she'll probably take a ride here and there.

Our DD is 4 and we would never take her w/o a stroller. In fact we take 2 with us a large one for the parks and a smaller one for downtown disney (easier inside stores). I think when we get to the point where she does not use it at home any more we will still keep it for disney travel, until it dies....hahaha. For the price of renting a stroller in disney you can buy one....

At home we never used one past age 3, and we took our daughter to WDW at age 4 and never used one there either.

Hi everyone!

Family will be at WDW in about 1 month and was wondering if some of you could share with me some insight regarding stroller rental?

At what age did you no longer rent or bring a stroller for you kids?

My kids are 4 & 5 and the need for a stroller is a thing of the past.
Thing is that I know they will tire out from all the walking we will do.
Do we just rent a stroller and play on the safe side?

Thoughts?

My kids were 4 & 5 on out trip in August (Actually turned 5 & 6 and the end of trip), They dont use strollers at home but did use them there. We still had their 2 single strollers which I brough on previous trips and they worked out great.

I think that was our last time for strollers:banana::banana:

At home, we were done with strollers by age 3. At WDW, we stopped using strollers for our older kids at around age 5 or 6.

My youngest will have just turned 5 by the time we go back to WDW. Most likely we will bring a stroller for him. He has low muscle tone and tires more easily than other kids his age. We will let him walk when he wants to and ride when he needs to. Plus, I like having the stroller when we are in the parks at night. The crowds after fireworks or parade can be so huge - I like knowing my child is safe and sound in the stroller.

DD just turned 7 and this will be our first trip without a stroller. We bought one specificallfy for the purpose of bringing it last year. She is a very fit and active kid who does LOTS of dance and cheer for multiple hours at a time. She did ok for 2 days last year, but by the 3rd we broke out the stroller we brought with us. It was just too much walking all day every day. We go open to close in the parks and she was just too tired. We are not bringing a stroller this year, but will not hesitate to rent one if we need it.

I would bring a stroller for a 4 and 5 year old. If they don't fit in regular strollers I would rent a double stroller or two singles or two doubles so they can stretch out or make them share and take turns in the double. My 3 and a half year olds stayed in their strollers the ENTIRE trip besides getting out to eat and ride a ride or wait in line. They sat in them for parades, they sat in them whenever we walked even at the hotel which was a godsend since we stayed on the far end of Kidani village.

For me it is like this, strollers conserve energy. They make it less likely for the child to wander off or get lost or kidnapped. They are less likely for a child to fall down or trip while walking or get knocked over.

I also just LOVED having a stroller to stash my stuff in! I have done Disney many times before kids where I had to carry around a big purse or backpack and it was not fun or easy. With a stroller I just had all valuable things in a lanyard around my neck and I hung backpacks on the stroller with ponchos, snacks, toys, etc and stashed purchases and water bottles in the basket. It was so nice to not have to carry all that stuff around!

We plan on going back when the boys are 2nd or 3rd grade. I will still probably rent a double stroller and make them take turns in it or share it and also use it to hang backpacks on and stash my stuff in it. They have nice drink holders, etc. I have a bad back and I am not carrying all that stuff around on my back ever again! Even when they are teenagers I am going to bring some kind of stroller or rent one to just push my stuff around in. It was just that nice. I loved it!

My seven year old used the stroller on our trip in September. I got a couple of comments about it though. I like having a place to leave our stuff while we are on the rides. I have a small bag I cary on rides where I keep my park tickets and camera but the backpack with the hoodies, ponchos, water, autograph book, etc, that stays on the umbrella stroller. Plus having the kids get a rest in the stroller means you can stay longer in the park.

What do you mean about "comments about it"? Our daughter turned 7 last week, and we are headed for a 10 day trip in 3 weeks and planned to rent a stroller. Are people mean about it? It is just easier for us because we try to get as much done as possible and stay out late. By no means does she NEED a stroller, but it works well for us and her (storage, etc).

I would still rent/take a stroller. My DD(5) walked most of the time in June, but it was really nice to have a spot for her to take a break. We used it the most late at night- DH and I like to stay late. :thumbsup2

Last year DD7 used one for our trip some of the time. Mainly for Epcot. This year, we are going to try without one, but if she gets tired, I have no problem renting one.

One time we went with friends who had a 4yr old. I had arranged for one through one of the stroller swaps but it came up missing right before our trip. They refused to rent him one there and we all had to listen to him cry about being tired the entire time. All his mom would say is, "if only we had that stroller". and it wasn't like they couldn't afford to rent one. We even offered and they said no.

Go by what your child needs and don't worry about what anyone else says. Your sanity is worth the $$.

We went this past August and I rented a double to use for my 5 year old and my 8 month old. My 5 year old is very active but with the heat (108 degrees 3 of the days) the stroller was a blessing. She used it to escape the sun and rest a bit.
My sister was also with us and her 5 year old jumped in when I was carring the baby and actually slept.

Last time both my kids used a stroller was 4 yo. We always go in September so yes we are there for 100 degree heat and 100% humidity.

I never listened to whining and crying because we took breaks as needed. We always stayed from open to close and the week we were there , would take one off day to swim. I guess we can be called commando touring.

Yes, it takes a little longer to get from ride to ride / And sometimes we would take an extra ice cream, popcorn or drink break when the kids got tired. Thats OK. I do miss having someplace to store stuff but its a beautiful thing not to have to push that stroller around. We certainly don't miss it at all.

What do you mean about "comments about it"? Our daughter turned 7 last week, and we are headed for a 10 day trip in 3 weeks and planned to rent a stroller. Are people mean about it? It is just easier for us because we try to get as much done as possible and stay out late. By no means does she NEED a stroller, but it works well for us and her (storage, etc).

I rented a stroller for our trip in June 09 with my DD who was 7 at the time and our friend's DD6. No one made any comments to us, I did notice a few people look at us kinda weird, but that might not have been because of the stroller! :rotfl: Some people here on these boards may make comments or disagree with it, but you know your child's needs best!

I wouldn't worry about what other people think and do what works for you, we were fine the whole week, and saw LOTS of other 5-8 year olds sharing strollers with younger siblings, or in strollers of their own. It is hot, lots of walking and stimuation, and if it works for you then you should rent one. I know I was happy we did, the girls were able to sit and sip on their water and get a break from the sun which made for a better vacation for both families. :thumbsup2 Added bonus, not once did I have to hear "my legs hurt.....how much farrrrrthurrrrrrr...." After all, it is my vacation too! ;)

On our last family trip, our boys were 6 and 4 years old. We did not bring a stroller and would have been fine, except 4 year old was getting over an ear infection and cough. We wound up having to rent a stroller some so he could rest. Otherwise he would have been run-down and could have gotten worse.

I would go ahead and bring one to be safe, or plan on renting one (which is expensive!!).

We went this past August and I rented a double to use for my 5 year old and my 8 month old. My 5 year old is very active but with the heat (108 degrees 3 of the days) the stroller was a blessing. She used it to escape the sun and rest a bit.
My sister was also with us and her 5 year old jumped in when I was carring the baby and actually slept.

108?! :scared1:
Must have been the heat index- what it feels like as I don't remember temperatures going that high this past summer.

If you feel your kids will benefit from a stroller, and that having one will make your trip more enjoyable for everyone, then get a stroller. Don't worry about the looks or comments that "my kid has walked Disney since they were 2." Do what is best for you and your family :)

first and foremost, do what you think is going to work for you.:)
this summer i brought my 4 and 7 year old with no stroller and a plan to rent one as needed. we stayed at the poly and we figured when the kids got tired we would take a nap or swim. we did rent a double for the day we did the world showcase at epcot, and we got one (free , no registers open to pay) at evening extra magic hour at magic kingdom. those two times were worth it, but it was very nice to be able to not worry about maneuvering a double stroller around. we took 3 hour breaks daily ate at least one sit down meal daily and had a wonderful trip. i loved being mainly stroller free ( although my shoulder hurt from not having a place to drop my stuff) :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter