• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At what age did you let your daughter start wearing make-up?

Elinor Dashwood

DIS Veteran
Just curious. My daughter is approaching teenhood and I was wondering at what age others have let their daughters wear make-up.:)

Twelve. Her dad is Greek and she has lovely olive skin. She wanted to wear eyeliner--that's all; just eyeliner, nothing else. And honestly, she used it discreetly and it looked so lovely. I don't think she wore any other makeup until she went to high school.

I let my oldest DD wear it to school in the 2nd half of 6th grade, very minimal, very natural looking stuff only. Before that, we did a couple special occassions for her and my 10 year old DD. Confirmation, a special concert, that kind of thing. Seems like middle school is when we noticed more and more girls wearing it daily. DD doesn't want to wear it all the time, but I don't mind if she does.

When she was twelve. On her birthday I made an appointment with the makeup artist at our hair salon so she could learn how to apply makeup and what shades would look good on her. It was fun, and she felt a little pampered and grown up. She doesn't wear it all the time and doesn't go overboard when she does.

My dd started when she entered 7th grade, she was 12.

I was allowed minimal (cause I didn't know any different) at 12 or 13, then for my 15th birthday my mom took me to Merle Norman & had them do a make-over with them teaching me how to apply it & then she bought me all the product they used. It was such a nice memory & I it was cool to get a lesson from the pros. At that age you always want to cake it on. I will definitely do the same for my daughter(s).

My dd is 12 and she has started to wear a little.

So far it is mascera. I told her we could do a light liner and eyeshadow and a lip gloss. I went to the makeup counter and was just asking what colors what looks good on her the lady told me she was too young that 14 is a good age. SOO fine don't take my money.
She wanted to sell me a foundation for her which we are not doing but not eyeshadow.

12/13. Neither she nor I wear much makeup though. I have never worn anything on my face at all, just mascara and lipstick and my daughter is the same although every so often when she goes out she will do the whole eyeshadow and eyeliner thing.

My 12YO has been wearing a tinted moisturizer for about a year. She asked to start wearing makeup & we agreed on this product. If she asks to add something I'm going to suggest a light lip tint.
We went to Sephora & I was pleased with the service.

My 12YO has been wearing a tinted moisturizer for about a year. She asked to start wearing makeup & we agreed on this product. If she asks to add something I'm going to suggest a light lip tint.
We went to Sephora & I was pleased with the service.

hmm I will have to see if we have one.

My dd is 12 and she has started to wear a little.

So far it is mascera. I told her we could do a light liner and eyeshadow and a lip gloss. I went to the makeup counter and was just asking what colors what looks good on her the lady told me she was too young that 14 is a good age. SOO fine don't take my money.
She wanted to sell me a foundation for her which we are not doing but not eyeshadow.

That is funny. It wasn't like you weren't standing right there. Apparently the makeup counter lady has more authority over your daughter than you have. I wonder what her manager would have to say about that. I might have been a little rude if she questioned my judgement like that. :rolleyes:

Whenever they wanted so of course they don't wear any. :crazy:

Older dd is 21 and will wear make up when she goes out and special occasions.

Almost 16yo dd has worn makeup about 5 times.

My DD was about 12(middle school) and is now a well adjusted 23 YO middle school teacher so it didn't hurt her. My mom was not happy with that as I was not "allowed" to wear makeup until high school. I remember going to school in middle school and putting on this awful blue eye shadow from lash to brow every day and then washing it off before going home. I wanted my daughter to learn the right way. When she was about the same age she wanted to pluck her eyebrows. I promptly made her appointment at my salon and had her eyebrows waxed for her with specific instruction to the person doing it to make sure it look natural. Needless to say she decided after that first time waxing that she could wait a few years before doing that! :lmao:

DD11 wants to copy DD14. I let DD11, sixth grade, wear lip gloss and a little eyeshadow, cream colors but she doesn't wear it. Her sister will help her put it on when we have a special occasion.

I let my daughter wear it to school starting in last year fifth grade.
She asked, so I said yes. Plus, according to school dress code that is when she could start wearing it.
Some days so wears it, others she doesn't.

She has always loved make up.

When my girls were 11 they started wearing a tiny bit of shadow and lip gloss. You couldn't even really tell they had it on. My 12 year old now wears a little mascara and she really looks lovely and very age appropriate.
My 13 year old is another story. She LOVES make up and likes to watch tutorials online. She wears way too much eyeliner and mascara. She tries to make "wings" or cat-eye things with eye liner and I absolutely hate it. She has the most stunning green eyes, but when she puts all of that makeup on, all you see is MAKEUP!!! I make her take 1/2 of it off before she leaves the house. I'm sure there will come a time when she looks back at her photos and says, "What was I thinking?"

My daughter started wearing make up to school in 7th grade-so 11 years old. But she wore it on stage starting in 4th grade when she started acting in plays but it was just for the stage at that age.

I got DD a special "from Mom" Christmas gift of makeup and nice makeup brushes I picked for her when she was a 12 year old 7th grader. I showed her how to apply it, and made sure I purchased colors for her that were subtle and natural looking.

She is now 14 and a HS freshman. She wears mineral base, mascara, clear gloss, and a tiny bit of beige sparkly eyeshadow daily.

It is funny, DD is an actress (local stuff) and has to wear make-up for performances and hates it! She is in 7th grade now so if she wanted to, I would let her wear some light mascara/eyeliner. She is still "young" though and I don't think she will be interested anytime soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter