• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At the bottom of the lake . . .

rs505

Mouseketeer
outside of HS is where my vacation resides never to be recovered, was how my trip report was going to start. However, even though, the members of this forum are huge Disney fans, I wanted to post about my experience to reiterate how amazing Disney is.

Well, following our Illuminations cruise, the boat captain took us to HS so we could get back to our resort (AKL) easier. As I went to tip the pilot, I stumbled a bit, and my camera, which had not been properly put back into its case on my belt, fell and went into the lake. This was Friday, August 12th and we arrived on Friday August 5th. The camera had lots of great memories, including a picture of my wife and me on our anniversary at Citricos. Not to mention several precious shots of the kids.

I cannot tell you how sick i was. I really love taking pictures of our trips. I am not a good photographer, but the pictures are a wonderful way to relive a trip, even years later. Also, although we had used the photo pass, and my wife had a camera, my camera was the main one with at least three hundred pictures on it.

The captain told us not to worry since a dive team would find it. The camera is water proof, but I could not believe that Disney has a dive team. It seemed like something you would tell guests at the moment, and then tell them a few weeks later when their shock wore off and resignation set in, that the camera could not be found. However, several CM's told us that the dive team would find it.

Once we got home DW was persistent in finding out the status of the search, and finally we were told that the dive team would go in on Friday the 19th, which is DD's actual birthday. Again, I wasn't sure whether to believe it, but i was holding out hope. On the 19th, DD texted me to call her, and when I did, she was screaming that they found the camera, and it appeared that the battery and memory card compartment were dry.

On Thursday, we got the camera, and it worked find and the memory chip was in perfect shape. We retrieved the pictures. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

But most importantly, for all who believe Disney is going down hill, I can't argue with your views since I only really know Disney since 2007, which was my first adult trip. (I had gone three times as a child, but really don't recall those trips with great detail as they relate to customer issues.) However, the fact that Disney has a dive team, and that they found my camera, and sent it back via fed ex is unbelievable, and speaks volumes about how seriously Disney takes the happiness of it guests. I really cannot stress how super impressed I am with this. Even my DW who was not a huge Disney fan before this trip, is saying she cannot wait to go back, and Disney has earned a return trip.

This was not the only amazing customer service we got, as a CM was super when my DD got sick, and our overall experience was beyond criticism. Disney is truly magical, and I cannot say enough great things.

Such a wonderful story, glad you were able to experience the magic :goodvibes

Now, what kind of camera did you say you had? I may be making an unplanned purchase soon :laughing:

That is truly something positive from disney! Very neat and so glad you got all your pictures back.One suggestion for you, back them up on another card or a computer before traveling again!:lmao:

What a crazy cool story! Loved it. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 You had us sad to start, and then thrilled at the end.

I was reading it to my wife, since I just read the beginning and thought you had lost your camera with all your pictures!!! I was going to use it as a reminder to keep a good watch and care of our camera.

It is incredible what Disney went through to get it back to you. Awesome, and we are very happy for you and your family!!!

Dan

Such a wonderful story, glad you were able to experience the magic :goodvibes

Now, what kind of camera did you say you had? I may be making an unplanned purchase soon :laughing:

I'm not the OP, but I have an Olympus Stylus Tough. it's waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, and crush-proof. Best money I've ever spent.

Amazing! So glad they were able to return it to you AND that you got your pictures too.

Glad you got your pictures back and thanks for sharing!

Very happy for you. (Most of my parents one and only Paris vacation ended up at the bottom of the Seine (dad's fault) and I know how disappointing that was for them.)

But I guess the cynic in me wonders if someone dropped theirs from a ferry (probably happens all the time) and not an expensive Illuminations cruise, would WDW do the same for every guest?

I guess the only way we would know is if someone tried it and was helped or refused.

I remember when you first posted this story asking if Disney really had a dive team out looking for stuff like that. And the majority of the answers were something along the lines of "I wouldn't doubt it..." And I'm so happy to hear that's true! It's so wonderful that you got your camera back. :yay: This just goes to show how awesome Disney is.

That is absolutely wonderful. I can only imagine how sick you felt thinking those pictures were gone. :( What a fantastic ending!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter