• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AT&T and the Caribbean

lori123

DIS Veteran
So - as everyone suggested, we called AT&T today to find out what the charges would be to use our cell phones (and internet) while in the ports of St Maarten and St Thomas. I wanted to see if anyone here has any first hand experience confirming what they told me - or at least how I understood it.

AT&T said that since those ports are US that is is covered under the regular plan - all we need to do is go into our settings and make sure we are connected to the AT&T tower. They said the AT&T signal might not be the strongest signal we will be able to receive so we will have to choose the AT&T tower - then there would be no additional charges.

Does all that sound right?

When we sailed the eastern cruise we only used our AT &T phones in St Thomas and it was included in our plan. No extra charges on my bill when we got home.

When we sailed the eastern cruise we only used our AT &T phones in St Thomas and it was included in our plan. No extra charges on my bill when we got home.

Ditto.................. We did the same this past October..............

Most US networks will work - but be aware! Roaming charges can be a bit of a shock! You will pay for all incoming calls and texts (in addition to the caller paying). Data charges can be astronomical too! I always recommend that parents don't allow kids to use their data overseas, and that they keep an eye on who they are calling. i once go a letter telling me that a woman had wished she had listened to me - her son had a phone bill worth just under $1k - all data charges.

If you have AT&T you will be fine in St. Thomas.

I was really worried I would get extra charges. None.

To be safe, I shut data off and put the phone in airplane mode or kept it turned off until we got to St. Thomas.

Does anyone have experience with AT&T on the Western Itinerary? I'd call myself but our plans our through DH's business so I'm not on the account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter