At Paradise Pier Hotel now....construction?

Rainforest_Elf

No Worries
Hey everyone! My sister and I are at the PPH currently, and have been here since Monday. So far the trip has been pretty good, but our one hiccup has been with the hotel itself.

Yesterday (Tues.) when we were walking back to the hotel in the late afternoon for a break, we had to use the back entrance to the hotel instead of the main one, as the main entryway is completely closed off, as is the sidewalk leading up to it. What this means is that, as there are no side doors, we are walking an extra block (if not two) to get to our room by using the back entrance to the hotel. I am not at all happy about this, as the main reason we stayed on site was to reduce walking time and feet soreness. We are taking our break today, and the same thing has happened, we had to walk an extra 2 blocks to get back to our room. I'm a. It surprised there are no side doors anywhere (and believe me, we asked.)

I don't know what to do. Do I complain? They did not notify us at check in, or when making the reservation that part of the road/sidewalk would be inaccessible due to construction. I really want to say something, but at this point, what is it going to do?

Is the whole sidewalk closed to the corner (where you cross to get to the GCH)? I seem to remember a door that will bring you right by the restaurant (across from the restrooms). It's right after you pass the driveway.

It's the entire sidewalk. :( they have guards posted at the walkways and you cannot enter, not even to get passed the driveway.

DH and I just got from 8 wonderful days at DLR and we stayed at PPH. They had the area closed off during the day only while we were there. DH was complaining about the walk so I had him actually measure the distance.

To go from the corner after your cross the street to the back sidewalk and into the entrance by the parking area is actually SHORTER than walking to the front by valet and around the glass elevator to the regular elevators. DH had to measure it twice before he would believe me and quit complaining.

Have they fixed the glass elevator and got it running yet?

I get annoyed when major work is being done on any property I book for a vacation, even the cheap Good Neighbor hotels. So I see your point. Those dis properties are expensive, you expect them to look like a brochure, not a construction site.

I get annoyed when major work is being done on any property I book for a vacation, even the cheap Good Neighbor hotels. So I see your point. Those dis properties are expensive, you expect them to look like a brochure, not a construction site.

In order to keep the appearance of the brochure construction and updates have to be done at some point.:confused3

In order to keep the appearance of the brochure construction and updates have to be done at some point.:confused3

But why not let guests know in advance that there will be construction and maybe offer them a slight discount or some meal vouchers? Those hotels must have a ginormous profit margin.

Man, I hope they have this done by Oct 8th!! This will be our first time ever staying on site and we've really saved every penny just so we could stay at this hotel for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary:hug: and birthday and the rest of our stay will be at a BWPPI. Paradise Pier is expensive:eek: in my opinion. We're paying $327.00 a NIGHT, but we also booked a room with a premium veiw,:cool1: but still it's a lot of money. I just wanted everything to be perfect, but oh well. We'll still end up having a great time!:yay::dance3:

To go from the corner after your cross the street to the back sidewalk and into the entrance by the parking area is actually SHORTER than walking to the front by valet and around the glass elevator to the regular elevators. DH had to measure it twice before he would believe me and quit complaining.

I love love love that you actually measured. I would have done the same thing.

And I've often wondered if going in that door (is that the one that smells like sunscreen?) was shorter than going in the front.

But why not let guests know in advance that there will be construction and maybe offer them a slight discount or some meal vouchers? Those hotels must have a ginormous profit margin.

Absolutely! You book based on things you see and read and if it is not like that, then they need to tell you in advance, otherwise it's like false advertising. The price should absolutely be adjusted to reflect any construction and inconvenience, they discounted the rooms at the DLH when all the construction was going on.

We're also currently at PPH and this really is NOT a big deal. The sidewalk is only blocked during the day (it wasn't blocked off when we headed out around 8am this morning and it was open yesterday by 5 as well) because they have large personnel lifts in the front driveway area due to painting (there was a letter in our room and we were told at check-in as well. Not sure why the OP was not :confused: . It doesn't really look like a major construction site or anything of the sort- not at ALL like the major DLH renovation.

Yes, it does seem a bit annoying to go around the back (though as a PP pointed out, not actually longer) but I just look over at how much farther back the closest tower of the DLH is! ;)

Hey everyone! My sister and I are at the PPH currently, and have been here since Monday. So far the trip has been pretty good, but our one hiccup has been with the hotel itself.

Yesterday (Tues.) when we were walking back to the hotel in the late afternoon for a break, we had to use the back entrance to the hotel instead of the main one, as the main entryway is completely closed off, as is the sidewalk leading up to it. What this means is that, as there are no side doors, we are walking an extra block (if not two) to get to our room by using the back entrance to the hotel. I am not at all happy about this, as the main reason we stayed on site was to reduce walking time and feet soreness. We are taking our break today, and the same thing has happened, we had to walk an extra 2 blocks to get back to our room. I'm a. It surprised there are no side doors anywhere (and believe me, we asked.)

I don't know what to do. Do I complain? They did not notify us at check in, or when making the reservation that part of the road/sidewalk would be inaccessible due to construction. I really want to say something, but at this point, what is it going to do?
Since it was not mentioned when you booked the room and they still failed to notify you when checking in, I would definitely say something. At bare minimum, I think they should give some form of discount, at best they should offer to change you to one of the other hotels. The point is construction should be mentioned when booking, unless it is some emergency repair work or such and then it should be mentioned at check in if it is known that it will be happening while you are staying there, if something comes up, they should send one of those automated messages to the voicemail on the phone.

smiley_face2 said:
Absolutely! You book based on things you see and read and if it is not like that, then they need to tell you in advance, otherwise it's like false advertising. The price should absolutely be adjusted to reflect any construction and inconvenience, they discounted the rooms at the DLH when all the construction was going on.

Exactly.

Also, they were NOT doing the construction the day we came in (at 3pm in he afternoon), so we had no idea it was coming. While I know some have measured the distance, I wonder if they were measuring from a different door, or heading to another location or route to the parks, as there is no. way. the route we are having to take to get back is shorter. It easily adds 10 minutes to our walk, which, I'm sorry, at the end of a long day, isn't enjoyable at all. I honestly would have considered staying at another property, either the DLH or an off property, cheaper hotel close to the property.

Since it was not mentioned when you booked the room and they still failed to notify you when checking in, I would definitely say something. At bare minimum, I think they should give some form of discount, at best they should offer to change you to one of the other hotels. The point is construction should be mentioned when booking, unless it is some emergency repair work or such and then it should be mentioned at check in if it is known that it will be happening while you are staying there, if something comes up, they should send one of those automated messages to the voicemail on the phone.

I disagree. The magnitude of the 'construction' currently going on just isn't that great and I do not think it warranted notification at booking though it was likely already planned/scheduled at that time. It probably should have been mentioned at check-in, I won't argue with that (it was mentioned to us and we do have a letter in our room. OP- you don't have a letter about the painting in your room? Ours was on the table between the two beds in our room). Its more like routine maintenance (painting) than construction and everything is 'packed up' in the evenings (though the front drive is still closed to vehicles, you can walk in that way).

really?? come on..construction happens all over the place...and you arent always notified...it takes just a couple minutes to get out the door whichever door you are using and it really doesnt take up much extra time to get to the park.

Construction goes on at various hotels. Like others said, although it's there it isn't major construction. If they didn't do it, people would be complaining that the rooms are run down, etc. I wouldn't recommend asking for extras because there is construction going on.

When we stay there, we use the back door on a regular basis. I just don't see it as a big thing.

Hopefully, you can focus on the positives and continue to enjoy your vacation.

I wouldn't expect anything for painting. Though it's a bit of a downer sometimes to have to deal with dropcloth covered hallways and such. That's one reason I go for the Good Neighbor hotels. Low expectations are pretty easy to meet.

I am not at all happy about this, as the main reason we stayed on site was to reduce walking time and feet soreness.

So you picked Paradise Pier? Did you not do any research at all? Every hotel on Harbor between Manchester and Disney Way is closer than Paradise Pier! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter