At Ohana Now

Sorry to hear. Been to Ohana's twice, although it get great reviews It's never been one of my favorite's. I figured it me I'm not a big meat eater and I did find the meat very dry.

You all are KILLING me. I JUST (as in 15 minutes ago) booked Ohana for dinner. Now I am going to go crazy re-thinking the decision and looking at other options:surfweb: (sigh)

I would keep it; you can go to another thread where the op brags about Ohana and how good it was and the majority of those on there will agree. Here it was a negative post so there will be more in agreement. This is just my own unscientific evaluation of past threads; in other words, JMHO. :)

I almost cancelled my first trip to Ohana based on opinion here on the DIS. I love this site, but I keep a very open mind to restaurants and the opinions. Other than ABC Commissary (horrible), I have found opinions to be all over the board from great to terrible, and that is no exception with Ohana.

I say experience any restaurant that seems appealing to you and make your own judgements. Ohana, Coral Reef, and San Angel Inn are all restaurants I almost cancelled based on opinion and am now glad I tried them.

I wouldn't cancel an ADR over this experience. We have an ADR in May and more than likely we will keep it and mire than likely the food and service will be fine. I was just aggravated and needed to vent and my iPhone was handy so I vented the only place that anyone cares to listen, on the Dis. It was a bad experience but I've had good experiences too.

We've never eaten there but we have it booked for breakfast on our trip in May. I hope breakfast is better then I've heard about dinner there.

This is just one persons comment and should not sway anyones decision to try Ohana if they have never been. We went twice in August and had great service, nice hot food (in fact our server realized the shrimp wasnt too hot and came back with a nice fresh skewer - not that i minded or not). It can be any number of things maybe the certain day of the week, just an off night for whatever reason. I still highly recommend this place and I do have
two more reservations for our upcoming trip in August.

Last time I went (September 09) the food was fine except the beef (too tough), but the service was...well...weird. We had two servers who we nicknamed "Surly" and "Frantic."

I'm currently avoiding Artist Point and Flying Fish for service issues...they'll probably get another chance someday since the food was awesome at both.

Ohana used to be our favorite restaurant up until a few years ago. Now, we go to Boma instead. The food at Boma is fantastic and there are many more choices. So, for an all you can eat style restaurant we now prefer Boma.

I would keep it; you can go to another thread where the op brags about Ohana and how good it was and the majority of those on there will agree. Here it was a negative post so there will be more in agreement. This is just my own unscientific evaluation of past threads; in other words, JMHO. :)

I almost cancelled my first trip to Ohana based on opinion here on the DIS. I love this site, but I keep a very open mind to restaurants and the opinions. Other than ABC Commissary (horrible), I have found opinions to be all over the board from great to terrible, and that is no exception with Ohana.

I say experience any restaurant that seems appealing to you and make your own judgements. Ohana, Coral Reef, and San Angel Inn are all restaurants I almost cancelled based on opinion and am now glad I tried them.

I TOTALLY agree with this! Everyone has different tastes and will have different experiences. My family happens to love 'Ohana - we were just there a few weeks ago and had a wonderful experience. Not only for dinner but also for breakfast. We have been going to 'Ohana since 1998, only once did we have a bad server, but the co-server, Fern, was fantastic! But the food has always been good. But that's just our experience.

Just because someone had a bad experience doesn't necessarily mean you will have a bad experience. And of course the reverse is also true, just because someone had an awesome experience doesn't mean you will. In my opinion, try it for yourself and judge for yourself. Only you and your family will truly know what YOU like.

Ohana used to be our favorite restaurant up until a few years ago. Now, we go to Boma instead. The food at Boma is fantastic and there are many more choices. So, for an all you can yeat style restaurant we now prefer Boma.

Now, if they'd only add coconut races at Boma! :0)

I'm just curious if the level of service and/or quality of the food has any correlation to the time of the meal? Does the service tend to get worse and the food colder as the night gets later? Those of you who have had bad experiences - was it a late dinner? and, those of you who had great experiences, when did you eat? I'm wondering because I have a 6:20 ADR and have been trying to move it an hour later...but if there's a difference in service and food the later you get, perhaps I'll keep what I have (I may have to anyhow, since I can't seem to get any later, anyways...)...Just wondering if timing might be an explanation for the varied experiences...

I'm just curious if the level of service and/or quality of the food has any correlation to the time of the meal? Does the service tend to get worse and the food colder as the night gets later? Those of you who have had bad experiences - was it a late dinner? and, those of you who had great experiences, when did you eat? I'm wondering because I have a 6:20 ADR and have been trying to move it an hour later...but if there's a difference in service and food the later you get, perhaps I'll keep what I have (I may have to anyhow, since I can't seem to get any later, anyways...)...Just wondering if timing might be an explanation for the varied experiences...

We have always had good experiences at 'Ohana and we generally always have about the same time for ADR's.. 8:00-8:45 pm.

Hope this helps! :goodvibes

We ate there a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. I'm not a meat eater, but my husband really enjoyed the steak, pork and chicken. We didn't care for the shrimp, but I liked everything else. I will say that the noodles to me looked alot like Ramen noodles, which made me chuckle a bit...but they were good! :) Service was good and we were seated promptly, no real complaints here. We had 7 ADR's and it was one of our best meals.

Our first visit to Ohana was in May 2008, with then 3-year-old DD. It was wonderful. Great service, terrific food, really entertaining. We went back in May 2009 on a date night while our kids hung out with in-room babysitting and room service. Everything about our dinner would have been better had we done room service, too! The service was okay, but the food was almost inedible. Much of the meat was dry and incredibly overcooked. The shrimp was fine (too bad DH doesn't like shrimp). We were so put off by the end of the meal that we didn't even have dessert! Ohana didn't make the cut when we made our reservations for this year's trip.

But then again...I had a really good salad at ABC Commissary last summer. ;)

Every time we go to Ohana we are even more disappointed.
I really do not like that the have removed so many food items I loved but the final straw was when they quit serving the pineapple in caramel sauce. We went a couple of times where we got it but had to pay extra (not happy w/ the extra $$) but last summer they would not get it for us at all.
It is so nice to stay at the Poly and eat there but it is not on this summers list, even though we are staying at the Poly again.
Now that I think about it, it's not only the good. We have not gotten stellar service for a few years now. Mostly rushed servers that we rarely see.

I am going to try this place out for the first time this July. As far as i'm concerned, I go to disney restaurants for the atmosphere. My DS10 and DS2 are no food critic, nor are they service critics, they love a fun atmosphere and I can pretty much guarantee (even though i've never been) this place has that. If it were just me and my wife I would probably steer clear and try somewhere like the cali grill. But i'm going with my kids, who are loud, like to have fun and thats why we're going here. The fact that SO many people rave about this place helps too, but i'm certainly not looking to go in and get the type of food served at a fine dining restaurant.

If your food is cold, undercooked, send it back. They make so much of it at this place they will be right out with more.

I completely agree. This is probably the most rational post in this thread.

Nobody should cancel a reservation based on what people on these boards say. Opinions vary dramatically of literally every Disney restaurant, including California Grill. I have read dozens of negative reviews of 'Ohana lately and considered canceling my dinner there in January. Perhaps not surprisingly, it is still one of my family's favorite restaurants on property. Everything about the meal was wonderful, including our wonderful server. When we mentioned offhand to one of the assistants that we do not want any pork products, they brought us skewers of turkey and steak cooked separately away from the pork completely unsolicited. We were fine eating the meat cooked on the same grill as the pork, but we appreciated the restaurant's staff for exceeding our expectations.

I also agree with the person who said that there is a herd mentality on these boards. Because this is a negative thread about 'Ohana, most of the posts are negatives. If the original post had praised the restaurant, all of its supporters would be earnestly agreeing.

I'll keep going to 'Ohana until given a reason not to. I hope that day never comes.

Sorry you had a bad experience, OP. We've never been but will be trying it in May. Unfortunately, I feel like I may be there only for the bread pudding. It looks so good that I may ask them to bring it out as a sweet appetizer!!! Based on the reviews, it is the thing I want to try most this trip :thumbsup2

As far as tough meat goes: my family eats some of my chewier dinnertime creations ;) We'll survive.

But we don't have super high expectations at WDW. After the last all inclusive we went to in Mexico, I :lovestruc the variety at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter