• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At Home Reception after Disney Wedding

Glass Slipper

Mouseketeer
Question for those who have had or are planning on having an at home reception after your Disney Wedding....are/did you wear your wedding dress again? If so, did your Hubby wear a tux or just a suit??? I'd love to wear my dress again, especially since these people were those who could not attend the wedding. Thanks! pixiedust:

Glass Slipper--

We are getting married in December at WDW and having an at home reception, about 2 weeks later. I am planning on wearing my dress and my DF will probably wear whatever he wore at the ceremony (not sure if that's going to be a suit or a tux yet?). I wasn't really sure what to do in this situation either, but a friend of mine had a destination wedding last april and an at home reception and she also wore her gown. So I figured, why not? At least I'll get a little more use out of the dress.

We had planned to have an at home reception about 1 & 1/2 months after the wedding, at a beautiful hall at a country club near where my parents lived, catered, another cake, music, etc. but my mom passed away and we canceled the reception. While planning it I was sure I was not going to wear my dress, DH didn't want to get "dressed up" again (he wore a dark grey suit for the wedding) and I had planned on buying a white or ivory dressy dress but not a bridal gown. But, on my wedding day, how gorgeous and special I felt in my dress and after all of the compliments I received, I think I would have ended up changing my mind and wearing my wedding dress! It might have needed to be cleaned though, the train got dirty just from the lobby and walking outside the resort for pictures. So, if we had the reception as planned I think I would have worn my dress again!
Happy Planning :goodvibes

We are not wearing our full wedding attire for our at home reception. I am buying a white knee length dress and my DF is just going to wear one of his work suits with the tie he is going to wear at the wedding. However, I don't see why one shouldn't wear their gown.

I *think* Codie had an at-home reception after the fact. I *think* allisonswonderland is also having one, but has yet to be married in Disney. You may want to trying contacting them.

Edit: Depending on the type of reception you have would determine whether or not you would want to. If it's an afternoon function at someone's home, than you're probably better off in a pretty, even lacey, knee-length white dress. If's it's being held in a ballroom, fire hall, etc., and you're having all the trimmings, wear that dress! After all, it's not as though you can wear them to the grocery store after the fact. I can't wait to ge to wear it again for the MK photo shoot. But after that :( it goes into a preservation box and looks pretty.

Thanks everyone! We haven't even planned what type we will have. Probably late afternoon or evening. A lot to think about. I have a feeling I'll want to wear it again...but another white dress would be nice as well. Guess I'll look around to see if I could find something, I'd probably have a better idea then. :lovestruc

We will be having an at home reception and we both plan on wearing our wedding attire again. My grandmother is making my dress and I know she would love to see me wearing it outside of fittings in her living room!

We didn't get married at Disney, but in Vegas. WE did the at-home reception a week after the wedding. I wore my dress and DH had arranged to keep his rented tux for the reception.

I know our parents who weren't able to go were happy to see us in our wedding attire.

We had an evening reception, almost as if it were after a late afternoon/early evening wedding.

We are having our at-home reception 3 weeks after the wedding and we are both wearing our wedding attire.

One really important thing to consider is that any relatives that are not able to make the trip with you may still want to see you as "the bride." You can be a bride for more than just one day - on that day you are still the "bride and groom." :bride: :earsboy:

Also, my grandmother will not be able to make the trip but I would not want to prevent her from having a photograph taken with Bob and I in our wedding clothes, and the at-home reception is the only place for that.

I am actually wearing my dress 3 times: once at Disney, once at our at-home reception and one more time at a special party that I'm having with all the kids I work with (I am a Children's Librarian in a very small town) where they will all have a chance to share a cupcake tree and dress as my honorary "flower girls" and "ring bearers."

Jennifer princess:
Intimate
12/11/06
Wedding Pavillion/ Commanders Terrace

I am wearing my gown to the at home reception, but I will probably get another dress to change into. Actually i will probably change into what I wear to the rehearsal dinner. Ijust want people to get to see my dress. Now my DF may just wear a suit or something. But I am not expecting his groomsmen to rent tuxedos again or anything like that.

Afriend of mine was surprised when she thought she was going to visit her family in Georgia which she did but her to be hubby also arranged her dress to be sent there ect without her knowing and after thier family visit she was boarded on a plane not being told where to and whisked off to Africa where he arranged thier whole wedding without her knowing had her dress and everything and she had no clue they got married in a little village just the two of them then toured Africa ect came home and he had awhole reception planned for family and friends where they again wore thier wedding atire .... How romantic I would just die !!!!

Hi everyone!

My hubby and I got married in WDW in December and want to have an at-home reception at some point in the spring or summer (simply because we don't have the money right now). Does anyone think it will be weird that long after the wedding?

We were married in Disney in Oct. 2004 and we didn't have our at home Reception until February 2005. Our Disney wedding was very small,,only 12 people including ourselves,,so we wanted to celebrate with everyone when we got home. Even though our reception was 4 months after the wedding all of our guests were still excited to come,,we ended up having a more elaborate reception than we planned,,we got dressed up again,,and so did our wedding party but it was all by choice and everyone had a good time. I loved that I got to wear my dress twice,,I actually had a couple of friends who couldn't be in Florida get dresses and be in the bridal party at home! They picked whatever dress they wanted just in the color of the other dresses so they all matched,,it was so nice to have pictures with them in the party!

Just be sure to let everyone know if it will be a dressy evening or a more casual get together so there is no confusion as to what kind of event it is. Destination weddings,, although popular right now,,, still aren't the norm so not everyone understands the whole party after the wedding thing,,but we found that once you explain that you wanted to celebrate with everyone who wasn't able to make it to Florida,,we found that people were more than happy to come.

Here are a few pictures from our Disney Wedding & our At Home Reception,,:)

Disney
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=99kydmjt.85vox1d5&x=0&y=p3hf6c

Reception
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b337e87f4530&sid=8AZsnLJi1Zt3Jg

Good luck with the planning :wizard:

Hi Miz-chan!!!

Thank you so much for sharing. Your pictures are gorgeous. I especially love the ones of you and your hubby on the dock at the Yacht & Beach Club. Just breathtaking. Thank you for sharing them, absolutely magnificent. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

I am thinking of maybe doing my at-home reception at a fire hall or a local vfw, which is not as fancy as where you had yours but still a large area for dancing and could be made suitable for dressing up! So, hopefully we can get the money together. Thanks soooo very much for sharing your experience with it. I feel much, much better!!!

PrincessMo :

Thank you so much,,*smiles*. We loved the Yatch club too,,although I think all the Disney wedding locations are beautiful,,we just loved the gazebo,,:)

As for the reception we were lucky because a good friend of ours actually owns a Golf Club/Country Club so we were able to have the reception there at a much more afordable price,,which ment we were able to do things that we maybe wouldn't have done otherwise. We did decide to cut some corners,,I ended up making a cupcake wedding cake rather than buying a real wedding cake (again) and that way we were able to have pictures at the reception! The at home reception can be a lot of fun because there isn't as much stress as the actual wedding,,and you can try things you wouldn't have tried for the actual wedding as its the party after and not the wedding. I had real flowers in Disney,,but we made the flowers for the reception ourselves,,little things like that.

Anyway,,enough about me,,*smiles*. Im sure your reception will be wonderful and you and your new hubby will have a blast. Im glad we did things this way as we were able to "have our cake and eat it too",,by having the Disney wedding and as well as a reception with everyone at home.

Congratulations and happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter