• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALso, if they sold $5 t-shirts to pukers or the puked-on, they'd be selling a LOT of cheap t-shirts during Food and Wine weekends. Just sayin'.

VP

I'm not even remotely a germophobe. We've been to Disney countless times and only got sick once (but it was epic.)

I think there is a big difference between regular day-to-day interaction with other human beings which naturally means exposure to infectious stuff and walking around a theme park on what was likely a warm day after being "amazingly" puked on without showering. Even if Disney had offered you a full free outfit, I still think it was gross (and unhygienic) to stick around without a shower. I mean, did occur to you that you might have smelled a bit...just ew.

VP

Violet, you have already made it perfectly clear that you disapprove of my every action in this thread and on the day it happened. So...I get it. You don't agree, and you think I'm a gross person who makes bad choices. I don't expect any response I give here to change your mind.

Op sorry that ur child got sick n u got the brunt of it....so many of us have been there! I had a child with projectile vomiting issues for almost 2 years...oh the stories I could tell you. I know what you mean about CM's.. I think Disney has come to make us Expect more..I can see how you felt let down, at least in regards to feeling cared for...

. I can tell you an experience I had at Hershey Hotel years back...talk about Service!! They accidentally tipped over our insulated bag that had Nutramagin in it ( formula that is Rather stinky, very difficult to get out of cloths/stains..but I digress). That bag spilled out a partially opened container into the entire bag, plus a small material carry on type bag next to it. I was upset ( but not loud or whiny, clearly looked distressed) because it was hard to come by ( now I think they sell it more..And they weren't even supposed to be taking that insulated bag)
regardless...they took all our laundry n had it washed for us, they gifted us each with Hershey sweatshirts, gave us sweets and got us in touch with a local pharmacist to get another can while we traveled. We even got chocolate n an apology note in our room!
Now that was Above and Beyond, but goes to show you what some company's/managers will do. As a matter of fact, I sent a Very kind letter to corporate when we returned. I'd only go to Hotel Hershey if in that area, after that. I didn't expect that service, but boy was that amazing!!

Violet, you have already made it perfectly clear that you disapprove of my every action in this thread and on the day it happened. So...I get it. You don't agree, and you think I'm a gross person who makes bad choices. I don't expect any response I give here to change your mind.

OP to each there own. many here agree with you and understand your frustration. I think you made it clear from the first post that the original CM game you a "scowl" and said exit this way. That would have been avoided if Disney directed CM's very simply to direct a parent to the nearest baby center. Given they are in the service and entertainment industry even with vomit all over a person a person with compassion could deal with that and tell you that information kindly.

People can certainly see who the insensitive people are. I do not mean the people who disagree with you because everyone is entitled to an opinion I mean the way certain people disagree. There is a big difference.

So parents who feed their kids too much junk food or bring a sick kid to the parks should not feel obligated or be prepared at all to assist in the clean up efforts, when their child gets sick? Surely causing some uncomfortable moments to the other guests around them. Shoułd everyone get free passes when someone throws up? What ever happened to personal responsibility?

When the sodas get dumped, the guest almost always is at fault. When the ice cream gets dropped by the kid, the guest is almost always at fault. Disney didn't use to care about fault. They cared about the customer experience. They wanted to create an experience in your mind that told you they cared about you, your family, and your fun...personally. They taught this brand of customer service to other corporation employees (I was one). This level of customer service brought epic loyalty to the brand back when they practiced what they preached. Caring about a sick or special needs individual, like a tiny tot or a kid who has an vomit-impulse or a kid who gets motion sick, is good business. It would create great loyalty in the affected guest and in the guests surrounding the sick guest (who would know the person is being well taken care of AND will not be around to get anyone else sick). I've had a special needs family member with an unexpected vomit impulse (texture sensitivity and motion sickness) cause us issues in places not named Disney - and I can say, the places that handled it well have had us as customers for life. One example, when he vomited all over our booth on Easter at Outback Steakhouse just 30 seconds after dinner was served (he tried a slice of apple and the peel and largeness of the slice apparently bugged him and kicked in his impulse). Without missing a beat, the 20ish year old waitress came back, asked us what we needed, asked us if we'd like all our food boxed and our check brought, brought all the cleaning supplies out (which we helped use b/c we felt guilty), and had two extra people come for clean up help (while she boxed our food and wrapped up our payment). As we sat having Easter dinner an hour later at our house (and found fresh bread and butter and all silverware needed in the bag), we talked about how that could have been the worst Easter dinner ever...but wasn't. We are loyal to that location for life and she earned an epic tip from us. Having small wipe packs and offering an extra day (when days are $10 after the 1st 3 anyway and many wouldn't get used) is SMALL POTATOES for a business. It's the least Disney should plan to do if they truly want to say they are still the premier customer service brand.

YES. That would have driven me crazy. And that is the part of the OPs complaint that I finally totally legitimate. I do feel that CMs should not give incorrect directions. If they don't know the answer, they should find someone who does. But she said that she wished they had been "not a-holes" and I'm not understanding how they were a-holes and how *specifically* they could have done a better job of not being a-holes.

VP

The OP has written ALOT over the course of this thread. I wouldn't put so much stock into just one comment.

I disapprove of you asking opinions and then getting defensive when you get them.

I am not in the camp that thinks you were foolish to not have a full change of clothes on you. While I do that now because of our really crappy (pun intended) norovirus experience, I did not before, and I still don't always bring clothes for my husband and myself. It's a pain, and who wants to walk around with a full change of clothes for an entire family on the off-chance that someone might need to change? I mean, an extra cardigan in case it gets chilly, but I think a full change of clothes for everyone is overboard.

Do I think you are crazy? No. I think you were oversensitive because it was an embarrassing and stressful situation that occurred during what is supposed to be the highlight of one's year. I get it. I truly do, because I catch myself getting my feelings hurt when I'm not greeted with enough cheer by resort CMs or when a CM on a ride is too sternly giving out directions.

But I do think maybe you aren't looking at the whole picture here. The first kid was doing the right thing by getting you out of there as quickly as possible. He was also almost certainly grossed out (as would anyone be, since no one had been cleaned up yet) and may very well have been trying to maintain his composure. The CMs who told you where to buy expensive shorts were not expletivess, at least not the way you described them. They just didn't do anything special for you or go out of their way, right? (I am genuinely asking a question here, but you have yet to answer a single question I have asked, nearly all of which were asked in earnest and not sarcastically.)

The CMs who gave you incorrect directions...that was understandably frustrating. CMs should know their park or their resort, at the very least, although sometimes they're working one area one day and another area the next, so perhaps this is understandable. It's a huge place. hard to keep track of every detail, esp. for a ride CM or merchandise CM.

Again, I'll give this ONE more try, but I don't expect you'll answer, because you haven't yet. When asked what they could have done specifically, you said, "I don't know, not be expletives..." that's not specific, and I fail to see how anyone was an ******. Maybe indifferent, but not an ******. And I can understand how indifference was disappointing when you needed comfort. But if it was comfort you really needed, that's not what CMs are for. That's what dh's are for.

As for Disney discounting items for people (OP, I know you were not the one who suggested it) where does that end? Shouldn't I be able to get free or cheap Robitussin if my kid ends up with a cough in the middle of the night? Should tampons be discounted for girls who start their period in the middle of the Magic Kingdom? Should Advil be cheaper for someone who gets a suddenly severe migraine?

If you want cheap merchandise in a pinch, I suggest you never visit a theme park. ;)

Anyway, OP, you come off as extremely defensive and reactionary, and that makes me wonder if your assessment and perception of the CMs responses to you isn't maybe a little defensive as well.

VP

ALso, if they sold $5 t-shirts to pukers or the puked-on, they'd be selling a LOT of cheap t-shirts during Food and Wine weekends. Just sayin'.

VP

That's about the ONLY thing I agree with you on ....but at least we found some common ground!

However, I wasn't suggesting guests BUY them ...I think they can afford to give them to them. Take it out of my dividend check.

In a positive note, Meg Crofton is leaving ...excellent customer may soon return again! (No offense to the hundreds that provide it EVERY day -I know they do, because I've experienced it)

Ok, Violet!

:wave2:

I disapprove of you asking opinions and then getting defensive when you get them.

I am not in the camp that thinks you were foolish to not have a full change of clothes on you. While I do that now because of our really crappy (pun intended) norovirus experience, I did not before, and I still don't always bring clothes for my husband and myself. It's a pain, and who wants to walk around with a full change of clothes for an entire family on the off-chance that someone might need to change? I mean, an extra cardigan in case it gets chilly, but I think a full change of clothes for everyone is overboard.

Do I think you are crazy? No. I think you were oversensitive because it was an embarrassing and stressful situation that occurred during what is supposed to be the highlight of one's year. I get it. I truly do, because I catch myself getting my feelings hurt when I'm not greeted with enough cheer by resort CMs or when a CM on a ride is too sternly giving out directions.

But I do think maybe you aren't looking at the whole picture here. The first kid was doing the right thing by getting you out of there as quickly as possible. He was also almost certainly grossed out (as would anyone be, since no one had been cleaned up yet) and may very well have been trying to maintain his composure. The CMs who told you where to buy expensive shorts were not a-holes, at least not the way you described them. They just didn't do anything special for you or go out of their way, right? (I am genuinely asking a question here, but you have yet to answer a single question I have asked, nearly all of which were asked in earnest and not sarcastically.)

The CMs who gave you incorrect directions...that was understandably frustrating. CMs should know their park or their resort, at the very least, although sometimes they're working one area one day and another area the next, so perhaps this is understandable. It's a huge place. hard to keep track of every detail, esp. for a ride CM or merchandise CM.

Again, I'll give this ONE more try, but I don't expect you'll answer, because you haven't yet. When asked what they could have done specifically, you said, "I don't know, not be a-holes..." that's not specific, and I fail to see how anyone was an ******. Maybe indifferent, but not an ******. And I can understand how indifference was disappointing when you needed comfort. But if it was comfort you really needed, that's not what CMs are for. That's what dh's are for.

As for Disney discounting items for people (OP, I know you were not the one who suggested it) where does that end? Shouldn't I be able to get free or cheap Robitussin if my kid ends up with a cough in the middle of the night? Should tampons be discounted for girls who start their period in the middle of the Magic Kingdom? Should Advil be cheaper for someone who gets a suddenly severe migraine?

If you want cheap merchandise in a pinch, I suggest you never visit a theme park. ;)

Anyway, OP, you come off as extremely defensive and reactionary, and that makes me wonder if your assessment and perception of the CMs responses to you isn't maybe a little defensive as well.

VP

The OP has written ALOT over the course of this thread. I wouldn't put so much stock into just one comment.

Well, but calling CMs expletivess is a pretty decisive statement, and I think one should be able to back that up, no? Nothing she has said over the course of the thread has given me the impression that anyone was an ******. Incompetent? In the case of the misdirections, yes. Indifferent? Maybe. But expletives? Her last post suggests to me that it was tone of voice and the way she perecieved them, and if that is the case, then I don't think any of us except for her can really decide if they really were or if she was being oversensitive, or "crazy" as her original post put it.

That's about the ONLY thing I agree with you on ....but at least we found some common ground!

However, I wasn't suggesting guests BUY them ...I think they can afford to give them to them. Take it out of my dividend check.

In a positive note, Meg Crofton is leaving ...excellent customer may soon return again! (No offense to the hundreds that provide it EVERY day -I know they do, because I've experienced it)

:thumbsup2

Well, but calling CMs a-holes is a pretty decisive statement, and I think one should be able to back that up, no? Nothing she has said over the course of the thread has given me the impression that anyone was an ******. Incompetent? In the case of the misdirections, yes. Indifferent? Maybe. But a-holes? Her last post suggests to me that it was tone of voice and the way she perecieved them, and if that is the case, then I don't think any of us except for her can really decide if they really were or if she was being oversensitive, or "crazy" as her original post put it.

The comment "I don't know... Not be a-holes" does not sound decisive to me. For me, a decisive statement would be "the CMs were a holes"

We have to take her for her word on the tone the CMs took, just like we have to take her on her word that all of this even happened in the first place.

OP, if you feel you have said all there is to say and thwt people are being mean to you, why do you keep responding? It is you who is fueling the fire. If you didn't actually want this discussed, why did you post it?

You just said the only thing you can do is to describe how people looked at you and their tone of voice. Yet, you didn't actually describe that beyond a scowl. I don't see how someone's tone or posture can make them an ******.

Again, did the CMs do all that they could to help you? Probably not. Did you completely overreact by literally crying about it, holding on to anger for months, and then arguing with strangers on the Internet about it? YES!

You have a small child. The issues right now may seem major to you but they are totally minor in reality. If you have trouble handling a little puke and getting in a huff because no one helps you deal with your child's problems with a smile on their face, it is going to be a super long 18 years.

I do think that is what the people here are trying to say. They aren't saying you are a bad parent or made horrible choices or anything like that. Just that your emphasis on the importance of something really quite small is unhelpful to your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter