• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, after I posted, I actually looked and the OP has 25 posts in this thread. I think she is carrying things a little too far, and the purpose of the original post was to create a post where she knew she would get criticized and have a platform where she could argue back. It also makes me wonder if the facts in the original post were not over emphasized just a little. This is just an observation and opinion.

It's clear that I can't win, no matter what I say here. But I feel it's important to say that I didn't create the post intentionally to draw criticism and have a platform to argue back. That's not really what I do. You are welcome to see previous posts I've made on the DIS to point out that's not how I operate. (I actually rarely START threads, because I'm often afraid of this. This is part of why I waited two months to even say anything on here.) I'm not sure if you read all 25 of those posts I made, but many of them were to answer questions, provide clarity and then repeat myself when people asked the same questions (which was silly of me, and I'm clearly still doing).

But hey, if my original intention was to find out who, in fact, was crazy, then mission accomplished.

Baby care centers should offer, for a fairly low price, full scrubs for "fouled" parents. Perhaps with the following:

"My baby erupted at WDW and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"

Now THAT would be a badge of pride. :thumbsup2

It's clear that I can't win, no matter what I say here. But I feel it's important to say that I didn't create the post intentionally to draw criticism and have a platform to argue back. That's not really what I do. You are welcome to see previous posts I've made on the DIS to point out that's not how I operate. (I actually rarely START threads, because I'm often afraid of this. This is part of why I waited two months to even say anything on here.) I'm not sure if you read all 25 of those posts I made, but many of them were to answer questions, provide clarity and then repeat myself when people asked the same questions (which was silly of me, and I'm clearly still doing).

But hey, if my original intention was to find out who, in fact, was crazy, then mission accomplished.
:confused3

OP, I think you could make it all disappear if you just clearly said what it was you were expecting the CMs to do in response to your situation? Like specifically? What words would you have considered helpful? What actions? How could the CMs prevent you from sitting down in public and crying?

You keep responding in ways that are vague and that causes more and more questions.

And if there is no answer to those questions, why exactly did you start the thread?

Baby care centers should offer, for a fairly low price, full scrubs for "fouled" parents. Perhaps with the following:

"My baby erupted at WDW and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!"

Now THAT would be a badge of pride. :thumbsup2

That is a good idea. Low priced options for people who find themselves in this situation. I think that is simple enough. :thumbsup2

Am I truly the only one who thinks it is SUPER inconsiderate of other guests/children and super unhygienic to remain in a theme park after being covered in vomit, even with a change of clothes? And to keep the recently-puking person in the parks? I mean, most daycares do not allow a child around other kids until they are 24 hours symptom-free. I'm not suggesting staying away that long, but at the very least, why would *anyone* want to stay in the parks and not shower?

Am I really the only one who thinks that is crazy germy? Even if it was just from eating the wrong things, vomit is not sterile!

VP

OP, I think you could make it all disappear if you just clearly said what it was you were expecting the CMs to do in response to your situation? Like specifically? What words would you have considered helpful? What actions? How could the CMs prevent you from sitting down in public and crying?

You keep responding in ways that are vague and that causes more and more questions.

And if there is no answer to those questions, why exactly did you start the thread?

Exactly.

Am I truly the only one who thinks it is SUPER inconsiderate of other guests/children and super unhygienic to remain in a theme park after being covered in vomit, even with a change of clothes? And to keep the recently-puking person in the parks? I mean, most daycares do not allow a child around other kids until they are 24 hours symptom-free. I'm not suggesting staying away that long, but at the very least, why would *anyone* want to stay in the parks and not shower?

Am I really the only one who thinks that is crazy germy? Even if it was just from eating the wrong things, vomit is not sterile!

VP

And I'm going off of the way the OP described the crazy amounts of vomit, btw. It sounded pretty epic.

From Page 1:

Yeah...I guess I don't know what I wanted them to do either, like I said. Maybe just...not be a-holes? I've certainly been puked on several times as a mom (and my DS used to have pretty bad reflux so I got puked on a LOT), but no where where I felt so helpless - and also nowhere with that AMOUNT of puke (so much! I've never seen that much ever!). I felt like a lot of them (the ride guy, the Beach Club desk) not only didn't care, they were actively dismissing/looking down on me. In hindsight I guess it was more the guys than the women. I think in life, when sucky things have happened to me, someone just saying: "I am so sorry! That really sucks" goes a long way. Beyond that, even "What can I do to help you best?" is awesome. Again, I realize this isn't their problem, and they aren't my friends. But if they really are seeing 47 puked on moms a day, surely they should come up with a better system to help or at least be kinder. (And as a place that prides itself on customer service, I would hope that also extends to service to guests having a hard time.)

From Page 7:

I'm not angry at Disney CMs for the choices I made.(I believe the word I originally used was "sad".) I was not expecting, as some seem to think, free clothes and a limo ride back to my campsite and fastpasses and a free AP for my whole family. I wasn't really even angry. I was bothered by the fact that I didn't receive appropriate assistance (primarily direction to a correct companion bathroom, First Aid or Baby Care Center) and kindness/compassion when I was in need of some help. I actually don't think that's a whole lot to ask of, say, humans, not just Disney CMs.

To sum up...

A) OP wishes the CM's could have been more sympathetic and somehow more helpful..

B) OP wishes they hadn't made some poor choices resulting in wearing puke covered clothes for 6 hours unnecessarily.

To answer the original question, you might well be crazy...not because of A, but because of B.

VP

I would certainly want to get back to the hotel to shower. Luckily...this has never happen to me yet. But you would still have to ride home on buses etc. I would rather get cleaned up best I could first. Do not know about you but I would not want to trek out of the park with fresh vomit on me and my child and then sit on bus (which would be perhaps be even more unhygienic).

There is no arguing that being prepared is the best way to deal with this situation but I know I never bring extra pants with me for myself now I am thinking of adding yet another thing to my bag LOL.

I do not see what the big deal is to just prepare the CM's with a way to deal with the situation which has to occur with some frequency.

VP

I'm sure glad you feel this way -so you agree ...it wouldn't have been totally outrageous to have expected a CM to offer a clean $5 T-Shirt to the woman so she wouldn't have to walk through the park covered like that. Imagine that for simple customer service! I wonder how you would feel today if when your child was sick they turned and shrugged, telling you it was your personal responsibility -I certainly don't think your issue was their issue, but I'm glad to hear they were helpful anyway.

Let's face it, no business has to go the extra mile for a paying guest, but it goes a long way when they do. And in the OP situation they didn't -so they missed out on an opportunity to prove what they're made of. I've been visiting WDW since the 70's, and my issue isn't so much that the family didn't get free t-shirts, but this is a perfect example of how Disney is missing the excellent customer service that they were once world renowned for. Any one on this thread who thinks that this family received excellent customer service(and we ALL deserve it) is the reason why Disney feels they can get away doing less ....and they do believe that.

VP

If you're worried about germs, I recommend maybe never going to a theme park, ever.

I'm sure glad you feel this way -so you agree ...it wouldn't have been totally outrageous to have expected a CM to offer a clean $5 T-Shirt to the woman so she wouldn't have to walk through the park covered like that. Imagine that for simple customer service! I wonder how you would feel today if when your child was sick they turned and shrugged, telling you it was your personal responsibility -I certainly don't think your issue was their issue, but I'm glad to hear they were helpful anyway.

Let's face it, no business has to go the extra mile for a paying guest, but it goes a long way when they do. And in the OP situation they didn't -so they missed out on an opportunity to prove what they're made of. I've been visiting WDW since the 70's, and my issue isn't so much that the family didn't get free t-shirts, but this is a perfect example of how Disney is missing the excellent customer service that they were once world renowned for. Any one on this thread who thinks that this family received excellent customer service(and we ALL deserve it) is the reason why Disney feels they can get away doing less ....and they do believe that.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

No, I wouldn't have expected them to offer me a $5 shirt. When our 18 month old got sick, we cleaned him up as best as we could, paid $75 for a new track suit (DH had left the pack of extra clothes in another bag) and went back to the resort asap. It honestly did not even once occur to us to A) stick around still trying to have fun while unbathed and pukey B) expect anyone to help us with a biohazardous situation.

VP

If you're worried about germs, I recommend maybe never going to a theme park, ever.

I'm not even remotely a germophobe. We've been to Disney countless times and only got sick once (but it was epic.)

I think there is a big difference between regular day-to-day interaction with other human beings which naturally means exposure to infectious stuff and walking around a theme park on what was likely a warm day after being "amazingly" puked on without showering. Even if Disney had offered you a full free outfit, I still think it was gross (and unhygienic) to stick around without a shower. I mean, did occur to you that you might have smelled a bit...just ew.

VP

It seems to me that main problem the OP had with the CM's was she kept being directed to the wrong place. I.e. Being in the Land and being directed to go to the Seas for a non existent companion bathroom, only to find out that there was one in the Land the whole time! If I were the OP my first reaction to being thrown up on would be to clean up, look for new clothes so I could at least feel fresh enough for the hour trek back to our hotel room to shower. But nearly everytime she was directed anywhere it was wrong and a waste of time. That would be clearly frustrating!

OP I'm sorry that you didn't get better advice from CM's.

I read this post for the first time last night and I was actually surprised at the first several responses encouraging OP to contact guest services and such. I can see it swung the other way a bit.

I can understand wanting some sympathy but I'm in agreement with PP that vomit is something many people simply cannot handle and I'm guessing the scowls were likely just them freaking out on the inside about that part of it. I know for me it would be very hard to be standing near someone covered in vomit and try to hide the disgust and be helpful. They did direct you to the bathroom though and offered napkins. I'm guessing they could have been nicer about it maybe but I really do think that's hard for some people to manage in this type of situation.

We've had our share of vomit episodes out and about at Disney and the airport even. Aside from what they did for you I really never expected anything from anyone. I'm actually normally apologizing profusely and focused on cleaning us up when it has happened. But we also travel with extra clothes, tons of wipes, usually a receiving blanket for this sort of occasion exactly. And we do know where the Infant Care Centers are and would head there immediately for something like this.

I'm guessing the CM also either didn't know where the closest Companion bathroom was or didn't understand why you were asking for it. I too likely would have just assumed you needed a bathroom and sent you there. I guess they could try and make sure the CMs know where these are located but aside from that I'm not sure what sort of things they can do to prepare for this type of situation again.

And since we are sharing vomiting stories I have one that makes me giggle. Last day of Disney (after missing our ME because one of my 2 year old twins was throwing up on the Boardwalk) we get to the airport and they won't let me push my sick child through the xray in his stroller. They want him to walk and I tell them no he has a fever and has been vomiting all day. So they tell me to carry him through and when the security guard on the other side says something to me the first guy says "she says he's sick and can't walk" in this obvious tone that he doesn't believe me. Instantly, my son starts puking! I still laugh remembering his face, lol. Anyhow they were pretty cool though the guy who needed to check our bags gave us paper towels and I kept apologizing but they were all pretty cool about it.

:thumbsup2

It seems to me that main problem the OP had with the CM's was she kept being directed to the wrong place. I.e. Being in the Land and being directed to go to the Seas for a non existent companion bathroom, only to find out that there was one in the Land the whole time! If I were the OP my first reaction to being thrown up on would be to clean up, look for new clothes so I could at least feel fresh enough for the hour trek back to our hotel room to shower. But nearly everytime she was directed anywhere it was wrong and a waste of time. That would be clearly frustrating!

OP I'm sorry that you didn't get better advice from CM's.

YES. That would have driven me crazy. And that is the part of the OPs complaint that I finally totally legitimate. I do feel that CMs should not give incorrect directions. If they don't know the answer, they should find someone who does. But she said that she wished they had been "not expletives" and I'm not understanding how they were expletives and how *specifically* they could have done a better job of not being expletives.

VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter