• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not angry at Disney CMs for the choices I made. I was not expecting, as some seem to think, free clothes and a limo ride back to my campsite and fastpasses and a free AP for my whole family. I wasn't really even angry. I was bothered by the fact that I didn't receive appropriate assistance (primarily direction to a correct companion bathroom, First Aid or Baby Care Center) and kindness/compassion when I was in need of some help. I actually don't think that's a whole lot to ask of, say, humans, not just Disney CMs.

I think this is key and I think this is where Disney is slipping.

Customer service is not just about what you do, it's about how you do it and how you talk to customers.

My personal theory is that they are stretching the staffing to such thin levels (at the parks and the hotels) that the CMs don't have the mental bandwidth anymore to do more than the bare minimum required of their jobs.

In what universe is saying that if you hadn't avoided eye contact, you might have gotten assistance from empathetic people, mean or judgmental, let alone shockingly judgmental?

To reiterate what I posted at the bottom of that list....

(Some people who suggested these things were right and/or gracious in their responses. I'm just highlighting the fact that clearly, there's nothing I could have done to appease the masses, here.)

OK, so this happened way back in November, but it's been bugging me ever since.

Also, fair warning: there is toddler puke in this story. If that is going to bug you, you probably want to take the chicken exit.

So, we are at Epcot, last day of our lovely vacation. My husband and myself and our 1.5 year old son are riding Living with the Land, since my husband has never been on it before. Then, right as the ride is ending - at the part in the tunnel before you get back to the exit, when your cars are basically just waiting - my son vomits. Not just a little....this is more than I have ever seen come out of that little person. All over me. Like never, ever before. It was almost amazing, but definitely awful.

So, honest to goodness one of my first thoughts (after being in shock that it happened) was....no problem, Cast Members here are so helpful, and I'm sure this happens ALL the time, so they will be able to help us out. We get off the ride (being sure to avoid eye contact with literally everyone else, who just saw me get puked on), and ask the CM at the end what we should do.

Answer: "Exit that way." Insert scowl (probably because that guy has to clean up puke, I'm guessing).

Wait, what? That's all? OK, maybe he's having an off day. And he maybe has to clean up puke, so whatever. I go to the closest bathroom, the one upstairs, but there's no companion restroom, so I'm fighting the decent restroom line there with women in and out, trying to clean puke off me and my toddler, while my husband goes to the lady who is the hostess at the front of Garden Grill to ask where we can get assistance.

"We can give you napkins."

Thanks, no help there either.

We walk out of the Land to get the stroller and diaper bag that has a change of clothes for our son and some other things that may help. Surely we can find a companion restroom so we can BOTH go in together and get cleaned up at least? We stop and ask a CM on the way where the nearest companion restroom is. She tells us The Seas. We go there. No companion restroom, just regular ones. This time, my DH takes the DS into the mens room to get him cleaned up more and new clothes on him. I go in to try and clean myself a little more, but at some point it was hopeless. Both my legs were basically covered.

Now, I will say here that I know it's totally my fault for not taking a spare pair of pants/clothes with us. I will never make that mistake again.

But we think okay, maybe I can get a skirt or pants somewhere in World Showcase? I knew that Morocco sold those belly dancer costumes, so surely I can get a skirt somewhere? We try UK Pavillion, and find nothing. DH asks and they say there's no where in the WS that can sell me a skirt or pants or shorts, they say maybe try MouseGear. (Protip: We did later look there, but they only had really pricey khaki shorts that I would never wear again for like....$60? Something like that.) At this point I am just fed up and I am pretty sure I am about to cry, so I start walking towards the International Gateway to get a breather and I just keep walking. Surely Beach Club will have shorts! Anything!

I stop by the front desk at Beach Club. I explain the situation. I am literally almost in tears. They tell me I can buy clothing at the Marketplace. I go there and they have nothing except swimwear shorts, all (of course) very pricey. They send me over to Fittings and Fairings at the Yacht Club. The only shorts there in my size (which isn't a crazy size, just a regular women's L, 12-14) are...wait for it....$120.

I give up. I went to the hallway and sat on the window seats and cried.

In the end, my parents (who were also at Disney but not with us at the time) went back to our RV at Fort Wilderness and got me a new set of clothes and we met at the Magic Kingdom to watch Wishes and so I finally changed clothes about 6 hours later, walking around in dried puke til then. In the end, it was okay.

But in hindsight, looking back at all the CMs I came across during that time...I'm surprised at how no one really tried to help. (I think I was most surprised at the BC front desk folks not being very helpful.) And I don't expect MY problem to become everyone else's probelm. But by my count, we came across 7 CMs, and got really no help. I don't exactly know what they could have done or what I would have done in their situation, but I felt like only one of them (the lady who pointed us to The Seas bathroom) seemed to show any care or sympathy at all.

Of course I have had wonderful experiences with CMs before as well, and we have all heard the stories of awesome CMs who go out of their way to be of assistance - the ones who hunt down stuffed animals on the last night of the vacation and leave them by the front door in the middle of the night.

But of course, I'm not a kid. I was just a tired, puked-on mom crying because she was walking around covered in kid vomit.

Am I crazy to expect maybe someone being more helpful? Or at least sympathetic? (I know not all of them understood I had been puked on, but some of those CMs did.)

I think the more I think about it, it just makes me sad, because that's not really the CM service I've come to love about Disney (and tell other people about), you know?

(Thank you for listening to my long story/rant!)

Just bolding what I've been saying, since you seem to think I've misunderstood something.

I think the OP expected too much from the staff (and I see others feel the same way, expected a free taxi ride and free clothing). I don't think that helped with clear thinking.

Oh, goodness, I definitely never said this, nor would I expect it. I did say that I wish I'd thought to get a taxi ride myself at the time. But neither of these things were ever listed as something I expected - other people were implying this was what I wanted. It is wrong.

Jana, I think any reasonable person would understand by that post and others after that I did the best I could to clean up, but that using paper towels and soapy water (and baby wipes) only works so well in that situation, and see that I stopped in two different restrooms to work on cleaning up twice. I explained this in other posts as well - that it's impossible to get all the vomit out of ever seam and crevice, and that, as it tends to happen in FL weather, stuff tends to dry. I did not "ignore the problem". Far from it.

Right, you assumed. And we all know what happens when we assume things.

You should have taken charge of the situation rather than expecting your solution to be given to you right around the corner. If you were truly in the dire straits you are describing, then your options were: Buy the $60 shorts or return to your resort with your parents.

I'm curious to know what you were doing for the four hours you were waiting for them to return. Since you had to take two buses to get to Epcot that day, and knowing they'd have to take two buses to the RV, and two to get back to Epcot, one would think it would have made more sense just to go with them rather than wait that excruciating amount of time in soiled clothing. Two bus rides back to the resort sure beats the hassle of trying to find replacement clothes at Disney prices or sitting around in vomit pants. :crazy2:

ETA: and I know that for me, personally, a shower would be a must. I would not feel ok about putting on clean or new clothes over vomit that had dried on my skin/underwear, but hey...to each their own, I guess...

Right, you assumed. And we all know what happens when we assume things.

You should have taken charge of the situation rather than expecting your solution to be given to you right around the corner. If you were truly in the dire straits you are describing, then your options were: Buy the $60 shorts or return to your resort with your parents.

I'm curious to know what you were doing for the four hours you were waiting for them to return. Since you had to take two buses to get to Epcot that day, and knowing they'd have to take two buses to the RV, and two to get back to Epcot, one would think it would have made more sense just to go with them rather than wait that excruciating amount of time in soiled clothing. Two bus rides back to the resort sure beats the hassle of trying to find replacement clothes at Disney prices or sitting around in vomit pants. :crazy2:

ETA: and I know that for me, personally, a shower would be a must. I would not feel ok about putting on clean or new clothes over vomit that had dried on my skin/underwear, but hey...to each their own, I guess...

I already mentioned in this thread: My parents were at WDW, but not with us at the time. (I believe they were on their way there, but they did not join us, they went back to get something, etc.)

I also already explained - a few times - why I didn't go back to the resort, and why I didn't get a taxi myself.

Also already mentioned previously what we did for four hours til I got my change of clothes - went to the MK to meet up with them. (ETA: The monorail was down between Epcot and the MK. So we went from BC, walked through Epcot, got the monorail to TTC, then had to get off at the TTC to get the ferry over to the MK. This was also on Veterans Day, with heavy crowds, so we had to wait a while to get into MK, then traffic was slow all the way through the MK. We stopped to get food for my husband and myself, and then sat to wait for my parents to arrive.)

Oh, goodness, I definitely never said this, nor would I expect it. I did say that I wish I'd thought to get a taxi ride myself at the time. But neither of these things were ever listed as something I expected - other people were implying this was what I wanted. It is wrong.

Oh no, I wasn't referring to you as wanting a free taxi and clothing! Other PP's did. Heck, I'm guessing you probably wish you would have thought of a taxi when you were there, and would have been happy to pay the fare!

I have many, many WDW puke experiences, in part because we got norovirus on our longest (13 night) trip. It was awful, and norovirus was going around. Every one of us puked on that trip, multiple times. Just when one person got better and we hit the parks again, another member of the family would start puking.

Truthfully? A lot of people have a REALLY hard time with vomitus. When my own children puke, I have a hard time just holding it together and not puking myself. My husband generally has to do it for me.

It is very, very possible and highly likely that you smelled strongly of vomit. What you may have perceived as scowls could have been people trying to keep it together. I *adore* my children, but one of my biggest flaws as a mom is that I have a really, really hard time with them puking and I am not the best helper. After I have cleaned the mess up (if dh is around, he does it for me because I just can't handle it) then I am able to smile and love them up and give sympathy. Poor kids. They know I'm a good mom, but I'm the worst when it comes to remembering to comfort them when they are covered in vomit. I just can't even breathe the slightest whiff without nearly fainting/puking myself.

Another thing to consider is that while babies/toddlers vomit often for non-viral reasons, often at Disney when people puke in the parks, it is because of travel viruses such as the virulent norovirus. It's CRAAAAAAAZY contagious. You went from shop to shop smelling pretty heinous. The price of the shorts SUCKS. It does. But that's why they sell them, right? No one buys ugly khaki shorts on vacation because they want to have ugly khaki shorts to take home. Those are for the explicit purpose of selling shorts to people who have a sudden need for new pants in a theme park.

After our norovirus trip, I always carry extra clothing for all of us. Our first trip, our DD did get really messy from her first Mickey bar. Head-to-toe chocolate and ice cream. We bought her a cute Mexican dress from the Mexico pavillion. She still has it hanging in her closet (it was 10 years ago) so it made a much better souvenir than an overpriced Disney outfit. We had to spend $75 on a new toddler track suit when DS exploded at DTD out both ends with norovirus.

But anyway, when we had our issues, we let CMs know if there was something for them to clean up and we got the heck out of dodge and headed to the room asap. It is a total bummer, but probably best for all involved. At the very least, everyone gets to clean up, shower, and get all of those germs off of them. It gives you time to figure out if it was a fluke or a virus, so you don't end up taking a sick person around the parks.

I would imagine that's what the strange looks were for. I'm not sure if I would have opted to stay in the parks with a puking child while we were all covered in puke and unable to truly get showered, clean and into fresh clothes. JMO

VP

Oh no, I wasn't referring to you as wanting a free taxi and clothing! Other PP's did. Heck, I'm guessing you probably wish you would have thought of a taxi when you were there, and would have been happy to pay the fare!

Oh, gotcha, sorry I misread you. Yes, absolutely!

Oh, goodness, I definitely never said this, or would expect it.

Jana, I think any reasonable person would understand by that post and others after that I did the best I could to clean up, but that using paper towels and soapy water (and baby wipes) only works so well in that situation, and see that I stopped in two different restrooms to work on cleaning up twice. I explained this in other posts as well - that it's impossible to get all the vomit out of ever seam and crevice, and that, as it tends to happen in FL weather, stuff tends to dry. I did not "ignore the problem". Far from it.

I'm the one who said that and I do think Disney could have given a voucher for shorts and/or a voucher for a cab ride. its really not that big of a deal and its one example of how they could have handled the situation better. The expectation I have is not of a specific remedy but that Disney or any resort I'm visiting will assist in resolving a problem if I have one. The expectation is not a cab or shorts but HELP in some way. the cab and shorts are things disney could have easily done to assist the op.

Again...its not just the OP disney has to consider its also the welfare of the other guests. As someone who's visited disney over 100 times I don't love the fact that they would let someone covered in vomit wander around aimlessly searching for a bathroom.

I already mentioned in this thread: My parents were at WDW, but not with us at the time. (I believe they were on their way there, but they did not join us, they went back to get something, etc.)

I also already explained - a few times - why I didn't go back to the resort, and why I didn't get a taxi myself.

Also already mentioned previously what we did for four hours til I got my change of clothes - went to the MK to meet up with them. (ETA: The monorail was down between Epcot and the MK. So we went from BC, walked through Epcot, got the monorail to TTC, then had to get off at the TTC to get the ferry over to the MK. This was also on Veterans Day, with heavy crowds, so we had to wait a while to get into MK, then traffic was slow all the way through the MK. We stopped to get food for my husband and myself, and then sat to wait for my parents to arrive.)

I still don't see why you didn't simply go meet them at the resort if you knew that's where they were going before heading to the MK. But ok, then. It seems it was easier to you to have to walk from BC, through Epcot, onto the monorail and then onto a ferry to MK rather than just grab the bus back to the resort, then head to the MK all together after cleaning up.

Nearly everything about this post is a great example of having not actually read what I said.

1) I explained that I agree, in hindsight, that I should have gone back to the resort (which would have taken at least an hour, since we were in the middle of FW) sooner. However, I also explained that wherever we went, we assumed the "next place" was going to provide what we needed. We went to the bathroom, I cleaned up the best I could, and went to get the diaper bag with our son's clothes and more supplies to help clean up. We then tried to find a companion restroom so that we could both work on stuff and so I could take my pants off and clean them better. When that didn't work,

When the first three things you tried - getting help from a CM without specifically asking for help (no, what should I do?" isn't the same as "can you help me?" and shouldn't reasonably be expected to be interpreted); finding a companion restroom; cleaning off in the bathroom - didn't work, going further into the park and then out of the park away from transportation doesn't seem to be the best option.

MichaelaF said:

Could I ask why you chose this clearly roundabout and time-consuming mode of getting to MK - instead of just taking the bus directly from BC?

I think we all (even the OP) agree that the best thing would have been to grab a cab asap and get the heck out of Dodge. I know I would want to shower and assess my child before I could even entertain continuing at the parks.

In hindsight, I think the op realizes this. I think she was flustered and confused and just wanted someone to put an arm around her (maybe not literally since she was covered in vomit) and say, "don't worry, I'll help you." I love to hear about the really sweet cm's who really step up and call you a private van to take you back to the room or give you a clean set of clothes etc. But I think those are not the norm. I think the op was operating under stress. We have all had those moments as parents where we just need a little help and a kind word.

I still don't see why you didn't simply go meet them at the resort if you knew that's where they were going before heading to the MK. But ok, then. It seems it was easier to you to have to walk from BC, through Epcot, onto the monorail and then onto a ferry to MK rather than just grab the bus back to the resort, then head to the MK all together after cleaning up.

We certainly didn't expect to have to get the ferry in addition to the monorail - we didn't learn it was down until we were all dropped off at TTC. And we didn't expect it would take 4 hours for them to meet up with us again. Since they were already on the way back to FW when they called us at BC to say they were going back, we assumed it would be faster for them to just go and meet us a boat ride away at the MK (thinking we could just get a quick monorail over there). (ETA: I have no idea why we didn't take the bus directly from the BC to the MK. I think I thought the monorail would be faster. Not that either would have made a difference, since we waited for a long time for my parents to join us at the MK anyway.)

To repeat myself...again....there are many things I wish I had done differently, and would have made things easier. Many have pointed this out in this thread, time and time again (some with grace, some not). But the point of my OP was that I was sad, in hindsight and with more clarity than I had at the time, that Disney CMs were not kinder or more helpful at the time, given how they pride themselves and sell themselves on service.

:sigh:

Seems like everyone has a sick child at wdw story. We have three times. Once when I was a child, my grandfather bought my 2 year old cousin a lollipop as big as her head-what can I say we had an amazing Grandfather! Well she got very sick right in the middle of the hub watching the parade at the MK. She spent the rest of the day in an extra/long Mickey t-shirt, that was about the only option in 1983. Next was was when my oldest had a stomach virus at the beginning of our trip at the Hoop de doo revue. If you have ever been there you know it is super difficult to get from there back to your resort. We opted for the cost of a cab after he got sick waiting for the boat. Last was my youngest who had a potty accident at EPCOT. We needed new underpants for a 4 year old. The CM's were super helpful. I went into a store, told them what happened and called and found another store that sold children's underpants. I happily paid $20 for 4 pairs, then we went on.

OP, I know that it can be so frustrating when these things happen and I wish everyone would have been nicer. The point of my story is that sometimes you just have to pay for whatever it is you need at the time, no matter what the cost. I think if I had been in your spot, completely new clothes would have been a must for me immediately. So my options would have been 1) a really expensive new Disney outfit or two the fastest way back to the hotel for a shower and change of clothes. Sorry this happened to you, it is never fun to have a sick kid on vacation. I hope that it did not ruin your entire time. Well look on the bright side, if something like this happens again, which it probably will since you have kids :), you'll have a plan.

I'm sorry this happened to you on vacation. The CM should have been kinder and at least could have mustered up some sympathy.

We went to WDW last month. We were waiting for the bus back to our resort at the end of a busy, fun-filled day at MK. There were so many people and the CM was trying so hard to keep the line organized. Right after a guest yelled at him, I made sure to go out of my way to tell him that he was doing a great job.

We had been waiting in line for about 30 minutes when our five year old started vomiting. We went off to the side, out of the line, and gave her a plastic bag to finish up in. The transportation CM was awesome. He came up to us and asked what happened. We explained and he asked if we remembered where we were in line. I told him that it was okay, we would wait in line again if need be. He got us a bottle of water for our daughter and told us to let him know when we were ready to go and he would help.

We cleaned up our daughter and changed her clothes (putting the dirty ones in ziplocs we brought), cleaned up the stroller, and let him know we were ready. He let us be the first ones on the next bus. We thanked him profusely! He thanked us for being so kind to him. We appreciated the special treatment but didn't expect it at all.

Here's the thing: kids get sick. It happens. And as much as it sucks to bring all the stuff you need, it's kind of necessary when you have small kids. We don't ever go to the parks without being as prepared as we can be for whatever may occur. This means a change of clothes for all (we only bring bottoms for parents, just in case, shirts are easy to come by), ziploc bags, first aid kits, we even bring a towel from our room-just in case (and we use it every day!). It's part of the gig. I know it's not fun to lug it all around, but it's better than being stuck in puke for hours. ;) It sounds like this was a learning experience for you!

Seems like everyone has a sick child at wdw story. We have three times. Once when I was a child, my grandfather bought my 2 year old cousin a lollipop as big as her head-what can I say we had an amazing Grandfather! Well she got very sick right in the middle of the hub watching the parade at the MK. She spent the rest of the day in an extra/long Mickey t-shirt, that was about the only option in 1983. Next was was when my oldest had a stomach virus at the beginning of our trip at the Hoop de doo revue. If you have ever been there you know it is super difficult to get from there back to your resort. We opted for the cost of a cab after he got sick waiting for the boat. Last was my youngest who had a potty accident at EPCOT. We needed new underpants for a 4 year old. The CM's were super helpful. I went into a store, told them what happened and called and found another store that sold children's underpants. I happily paid $20 for 4 pairs, then we went on. OP, I know that it can be so frustrating when these things happen and I wish everyone would have been nicer. The point of my story is that sometimes you just have to pay for whatever it is you need at the time, no matter what the cost. I think if I had been in your spot, completely new clothes would have been a must for me immediately. So my options would have been 1) a really expensive new Disney outfit or two the fastest way back to the hotel for a shower and change of clothes. Sorry this happened to you, it is never fun to have a sick kid on vacation. I hope that it did not ruin your entire time. Well look on the bright side, if something like this happens again, which it probably will since you have kids :), you'll have a plan.

OP, I also forgot to say, that as upsetting as all of these instances were and how they seemed to mess up the best laid plans, they are now looked back on fondly. We will regularly laugh about the times kids were sick or when my baby son threw my mom's prescription glasses out of the small world boat. I know it's hard to see now, but all of these things are memories. In a couple of years, I bet this will be a really funny story. Stay strong, all parents have these tales!

I get what you are saying. You wish that CMs had been warmer and friendlier and more nurturing. And that you wish the pants were cheaper. I hear you there. Sometimes CMs are lacking warmth, sometimes they are the greatest. But nothing is EVER cheap or affordable at WDW.

I still don't understand why you didn't just leave immediately, and I realize you've explained your reasons (you thought what you needed was just around the corner) but I don't understand why someone wouldn't want to shower if there was so much vomit it was stuck between zippers. Even if the incident was the result of dietary changes (it happens, esp at WDW) that doesn't mean that the vomit was sterile. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something that might sound insensitive, but I think it's kind of gross to just wipe up and put fresh clothes on over vomitus. Wipes won't do the job, ya know? And honestly, I think it is SUPER inconsiderate of other park guests to not get a vomiting child and vomit-covered people out of a theme park asap.

So what you might be perceiving as a lack of compassion from CMs and posters on this thread might be a bit of frustration at YOUR lack of consideration of other guests. It's a HUGE inconvenience to have to leave the parks because a member of your party vomited, but I think it's pretty necessary if there was so much vomit you needed more clothing. I'm just in a state of EW right now thinking that there are people who walk around the parks after previously taking puke-showers. Staying in the parks without showering and putting on completely fresh clothing on everyone was incredibly unhygienic. I know a lot of nurses, and I think they would agree.

VP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter